What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: NON-Draft eligible College prospects (1 Viewer)

Xue

Footballguy
The Yeldon thread is getting off-topic so here we are. Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's so hard to track non draft skill positions. Wasn't too long ago, Marcus Lattimore was the next Hershal Walker. Now he's the next Willis McGehee (or worse). These guys get run into the ground.

Sammy Watkins rounding into shape - 1st WR taken in 2014.
2nd, Marquise Lee should be #1 - thrilled to have both :thumbup: Safarian-Jenkins looks like a scary TE.Same goes for Duke Johnson and DeAnthony Thomas at RB. If there is a stud QB underclassmen that hasn't been talked much about in the 2013 prospects thread it's Braxton Miller imho. That's what I have off the top of my head.

Posted this in the Yeldon thread. There are some very exciting RBs on the horizon. Just off the top of my head;

Yeldon, Bama

Gray, Texas

D. Johnson, Mia

Gurley, Georgia

Marshall, Georgia

Hill, LSU

I'm sure I've missed a few. These guys look very good. Hopefully they have better luck than Lattimore.

Posted this in the Yeldon thread. There are some very exciting RBs on the horizon. Just off the top of my head; Yeldon, BamaGray, TexasD. Johnson, MiaGurley, GeorgiaMarshall, GeorgiaHill, LSUI'm sure I've missed a few. These guys look very good. Hopefully they have better luck than Lattimore.
Gurley, I knew I forgot one, I'd lump him in with Yeldon and Duke for sure. I see separation between those 3 and the rest though, right now anyway.

The QB to watch is Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater. Great chance for him to be the #1 pick in 2014.

The QB to watch is Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater. Great chance for him to be the #1 pick in 2014.
Been reading some great things about him, anxious to see him against a real defense and hope he gets that shot in the bowl game. His yards per completion and TD + TD:INT rates have been very encouraging week to week.

I have a watch list with lots of names on it.

Sammy Watkins will probably be a high pick.

I have Marqise Lee rated as the best skill prospect available in the next two drafts. I don't like him as much as I liked guys like Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant, but he should definitely be a top 15 pick. Not that tall, but big enough and plays taller than his listed height. Good hops. Good speed. Excellent athlete. Dangerous before and after the catch. Can turn short passes into long gains, but can also beat people downfield. He's a good one.

Beyond that, there are a handful of players that I like more than the rest, but in general it's tough to look at freshman and most sophomores and say conclusively that they're going to be elite pro prospects. At this stage of the process high star prospects from major programs are overrated while legit talents at smaller schools are overlooked. And that's without factoring in injuries and off-field incidents, which have derailed quite a few promising careers in the past few years.

And that's without factoring in injuries and off-field incidents, which have derailed quite a few promising careers in the past few years.
Like.....Michael Dyer??? :popcorn:
Yea, sure. He was every bit as good as Lattimore or your boy Yeldon as a true freshman. It's happened to lots of other guys too. Isaiah Crowell, Bryce Brown, Washaun Ealey. Brown is already in the league and I'd bet on Dyer and Crowell finding their way onto an NFL roster some day, but needless to say there have been some bumps in the road.

And that's without factoring in injuries and off-field incidents, which have derailed quite a few promising careers in the past few years.
Like.....Michael Dyer??? :popcorn:
Yea, sure. He was every bit as good as Lattimore or your boy Yeldon as a true freshman. It's happened to lots of other guys too. Isaiah Crowell, Bryce Brown, Washaun Ealey. Brown is already in the league and I'd bet on Dyer and Crowell finding their way onto an NFL roster some day, but needless to say there have been some bumps in the road.
Heh. Was just a jab considering your overposting of Dyer's situation. Found it funny someone called you out on it and this time you just refer to his situation and don't explicitly name Dyer. That's all. :thumbup:

A small school RB to watch is Kenneth Dixon of La. Tech. He's about to break Marshall Faulk's record for TDs by a freshman.

I'm still holding onto Isaiah Crowell in one league. Any news on his gun charge? I can't seem to find any.

Looks like he is keeping a low profile and posting decent numbers at Alabama State according to his wikipedia page (114-615-12 rushing, 8-81-0 receiving).

I'm still holding onto Isaiah Crowell in one league. Any news on his gun charge? I can't seem to find any.Looks like he is keeping a low profile and posting decent numbers at Alabama State according to his wikipedia page (114-615-12 rushing, 8-81-0 receiving).
He's one of the names on my 10-15 player short list for 2014. He has a lot of talent. Not Richardson/Peterson talent, but maybe enough to start on Sundays. Off-field issues are one of the few things that will scare owners into selling/avoiding legit talents, so I actually think it's a good time to pounce when someone is suspended or dealing with some kind of legal situation. Crowell could be a nice value for next year.

I'm still holding onto Isaiah Crowell in one league. Any news on his gun charge? I can't seem to find any.Looks like he is keeping a low profile and posting decent numbers at Alabama State according to his wikipedia page (114-615-12 rushing, 8-81-0 receiving).
He's one of the names on my 10-15 player short list for 2014. He has a lot of talent. Not Richardson/Peterson talent, but maybe enough to start on Sundays. Off-field issues are one of the few things that will scare owners into selling/avoiding legit talents, so I actually think it's a good time to pounce when someone is suspended or dealing with some kind of legal situation. Crowell could be a nice value for next year.
Crowell has massive talent and could have at one point easily started on Sundays. The problem is he's lazy and a head case. Not a good combination. I have no confidence he will do anything in the NFL.

There seems to be a lot more athletic QBs putting up great passing statistics these days. Johnny Manziel from Texas A&M is putting up better passing stats as a redshirt Freshman than Tannehill ever did in college, and Manziel is also averaging over 100 yards rushing a game.

Redshirt freshman QB Brett Hundley from UCLA is also someone to keep an eye on.

There seems to be a lot more athletic QBs putting up great passing statistics these days. Johnny Manziel from Texas A&M is putting up better passing stats as a redshirt Freshman than Tannehill ever did in college, and Manziel is also averaging over 100 yards rushing a game. Redshirt freshman QB Brett Hundley from UCLA is also someone to keep an eye on.
Manziel is going to be a household name in NCAA like Tim Tebow or Colt McCoy when his career is finished, but I don't know if he's got the chops for the next level. He feasts on bad teams, but struggled with LSU's athletic D and doesn't appear to have a rocket arm or awesome pure passing ability. He is certainly a guy to monitor, but I'd hesitate to call him much more than that at this point.

'EBF said:
'Time Kibitzer said:
There seems to be a lot more athletic QBs putting up great passing statistics these days. Johnny Manziel from Texas A&M is putting up better passing stats as a redshirt Freshman than Tannehill ever did in college, and Manziel is also averaging over 100 yards rushing a game. Redshirt freshman QB Brett Hundley from UCLA is also someone to keep an eye on.
Manziel is going to be a household name in NCAA like Tim Tebow or Colt McCoy when his career is finished, but I don't know if he's got the chops for the next level. He feasts on bad teams, but struggled with LSU's athletic D and doesn't appear to have a rocket arm or awesome pure passing ability. He is certainly a guy to monitor, but I'd hesitate to call him much more than that at this point.
Tannehill feasted on bad teams last year himself, and his CMP% and YPA were both far inferior to Manziel's CMP% and YPA so far this year. Manziel is just a redshirt Freshman, so I'm not too worried about his struggles against LSU, especially since they have probably the best pass defense in the country; and he did tear up Mississippi State through the air this past week and their defense is pretty solid. It'll be interesting to see how he does against Alabama on Saturday. I probably wouldn't have liked Manziel all that much even just last year, but the way Russell Wilson has been able to succeed as a rookie makes me think Manziel definitely has a chance, although I admit Manziel's arm strength is a pretty big question mark at this point.

The next Brian Quick is Sean Price (Redshirt Freshman).

Melvin Gordon... The Trent Richardson to Montee Ball's Mark Ingram if anyone gets that analogy.

Not that Gordon is even close to Richardson's talent, but as Ball gets all the hype, Gordon is already a superior prospect. I can't wait for next year

Pretty good D he's facing today.Doing pretty well. So far, anyways.

I think Watkins will be a dominant pro. He should go number 2 overall in 2014, behind Clowney. Yeldon also looks like the real deal. Jeremy Hill has all the physical tools, but I worry about the oral sexual battery charge. Could be Cecil the Diesel version 2.0. When Jonathan Gray figures out pass pro he's gonna post massive numbers. Another guy I like that hasn't been mentioned is Amari Cooper, wr Alabama. He has impressed me more as a true frosh than Julio Jones.

I've just always thought sc wideouts are equivalent to Nick Saban db's. Everyone slobbers all over them and they all let you down in the pros. They look great against PAC-12 defs, but that isn't saying much. Lee does look freakish, but I've seen this movie before.

You were on the right track with Dyer. He's an nfl talent, he'd just rather smoke pot than play football. Gene Chizik lost the locker room mainly because of how much he coddled Dyer. They were telling him 3 weeks in advance when his drug tests were coming and he still failed 4 at Auburn and one at ark st. I really hope he gets his head straight because he's a really likable guy, but smoking is all he cares about.

Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M. Guy is a huge target at a listed 6'5". He's shown better ball skills than the draft-eligible big WR's Brandon Coleman and Marcus Davis.

He's a Redshirt Freshman, so that means he's draft eligible next year.

'BruceAlmighty said:
I've just always thought sc wideouts are equivalent to Nick Saban db's. Everyone slobbers all over them and they all let you down in the pros. They look great against PAC-12 defs, but that isn't saying much. Lee does look freakish, but I've seen this movie before.
All of the defenses in college are soft. It's amateur football. Even in the Pac-12 or SEC, 95% of the guys out there will never amount to much in the NFL.I've been watching USC off and on for about ~10 years. Lee is the best pro prospect they have had at WR in that time. Williams and Jarrett were good at the college level, but neither could run like Lee. He will be a very good NFL player. Maybe not a top 5 guy, but certainly an above average starter. I think he's like a more athletic Greg Jennings.

'BruceAlmighty said:
All of the defenses in college are soft. It's amateur football. Even in the Pac-12 or SEC, 95% of the guys out there will never amount to much in the NFL.I've been watching USC off and on for about ~10 years. Lee is the best pro prospect they have had at WR in that time. Williams and Jarrett were good at the college level, but neither could run like Lee. He will be a very good NFL player. Maybe not a top 5 guy, but certainly an above average starter. I think he's like a more athletic Greg Jennings.
Lee is the best WR prospect since AJ Green. He will be a great NFL player. Previous SC WRs have nothing to do with this. Lee is amazing.

I agree with EBF on Lee. He's just a better all around athlete. He's even playing Free Safety in this game.

Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M. Guy is a huge target at a listed 6'5". He's shown better ball skills than the draft-eligible big WR's Brandon Coleman and Marcus Davis.

He's a Redshirt Freshman, so that means he's draft eligible next year.
I thought he stood out in today's game as well, even without putting up a huge box score. He's tall with long arms, catches the ball with his hands, and was able to get a step on the DBs quite frequently. Definitely an NFL prospect to keep an eye on.Manziel also played quite well against Alabama, that's 2 weeks in a row he's had success against a tough SEC defense.

Another guy I just thought of is Trey Williams at Texas A&M. He's behind 2 upper class men but he's got elite speed and quickness. Also my personal favorite LSU back is Alfred Blue. If he didn't get hurt vs Washington Jeremy Hill probably would've redshirted.

'identikit said:
Pretty good D he's facing today.Doing pretty well. So far, anyways.
Very, very nice game overall by Manziel.Not a weak defense either.

Yea, I don't think anyone doubts that he is an NCAA star.

That doesn't make him a great pro prospect.

Tim Tebow was a demon in the SEC.

It's just college football.

Manziel is an interesting prospect, but questions about his frame, arm strength, and pocket ability will have to be answered before he can be considered a future pro starter.

Funny how most of this thread is about guys that are already household names.

I really like the physical presence of Quincy Enunwa from NU. He still needs polish as a junior but the guy is a load to bring down and reminds me of TO with his strength after the catch but needs to work on his hands

Austin Franklin, WR New Mexico State. Check out the ball skills:

He was just named as one of 10 semifinalists for the Biletnikoff Award.

Users who are viewing this thread