What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: NON-Draft eligible College prospects (2 Viewers)

Hackenberg is looking very overrated right now. He's looking a lot like Cutler and Stafford.
He doesn't look anything like those guys. He looks like Henne. Odd to say a guy who looks like a #1 overall pick and #11 overall pick looks overrated.
Cutler and Stafford in college. Numbers from their first 2 seasons very similar to Hackenberg's.
Numbers? Have you watched him play? He doesn't look like them at all. He doesn't have near the arm talent and actually plays with better fundamentals than ether of them at this point of their careers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Malachi Dupre finally got some playing time and looked great. His Devy value gonna shoot up next year just like Treadwell's did.
My concern for Dupre is he reportedly runs a 4.60 not sure if that will cut it in the NFL. IF the reported time is true.
Isn't it pretty common for 18/19 YOs to greatly improve their 40 times? Ray Rice comes to mind.
It might with some coaching and development but everyone is different and is there data anywhere to this is the case and if so by how much do they improve? Just a question that come to mind. Until he improves I can only speak of his most current 40 time and the last one I've seen so for is slow.

jurb26 said:
Xue said:
jurb26 said:
Xue said:
Faust said:
Hackenberg is looking very overrated right now. He's looking a lot like Cutler and Stafford.
He doesn't look anything like those guys. He looks like Henne. Odd to say a guy who looks like a #1 overall pick and #11 overall pick looks overrated.
Cutler and Stafford in college. Numbers from their first 2 seasons very similar to Hackenberg's.
Numbers? Have you watched him play? He doesn't look like them at all. He doesn't have near the arm talent and actually plays with better fundamentals than ether of them at this point of their careers.
I've seen him. Doesn't matter how good he looks. Plenty of QBs with great mechanics who can't play and plenty with ####ty mechanics that can. He's not reading the defense well and forcing balls.

He may still be a 1st round pick for the very reason that he has the "look" of a franchise QB, but I don't feel good about his NFL projection if the production continues to look like Cutler's and Stafford's.

Malachi Dupre finally got some playing time and looked great. His Devy value gonna shoot up next year just like Treadwell's did.
My concern for Dupre is he reportedly runs a 4.60 not sure if that will cut it in the NFL. IF the reported time is true.
Isn't it pretty common for 18/19 YOs to greatly improve their 40 times? Ray Rice comes to mind.
It might with some coaching and development but everyone is different and is there data anywhere to this is the case and if so by how much do they improve? Just a question that come to mind. Until he improves I can only speak of his most current 40 time and the last one I've seen so for is slow.
DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.6 and looks plenty explosive on the field. Dupre is a much more gifted athlete overall. I think he'll be fine moving forward.

jurb26 said:
Xue said:
jurb26 said:
Xue said:
Faust said:
I've seen him. Doesn't matter how good he looks. Plenty of QBs with great mechanics who can't play and plenty with ####ty mechanics that can. He's not reading the defense well and forcing balls. He may still be a 1st round pick for the very reason that he has the "look" of a franchise QB, but I don't feel good about his NFL projection if the production continues to look like Cutler's and Stafford's.
I still don't see the correlation to those guys. Cutler and Stafford are franchise QBs both drafted extremely high. Sating he is them and therefore overrated sets the stage for unrealistic expectations.

DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.6 and looks plenty explosive on the field. Dupre is a much more gifted athlete overall. I think he'll be fine moving forward.
IMHO Hopkins football speed is faster than Dupre, as you already know some people just run faster on the field with the ball on their hands than running a straight line. Hopkins is that guy, you watch him play and he just looks fast.

jurb26 said:
Xue said:
jurb26 said:
Xue said:
Faust said:
I've seen him. Doesn't matter how good he looks. Plenty of QBs with great mechanics who can't play and plenty with ####ty mechanics that can. He's not reading the defense well and forcing balls.He may still be a 1st round pick for the very reason that he has the "look" of a franchise QB, but I don't feel good about his NFL projection if the production continues to look like Cutler's and Stafford's.
I still don't see the correlation to those guys. Cutler and Stafford are franchise QBs both drafted extremely high. Sating he is them and therefore overrated sets the stage for unrealistic expectations.
He's actually overrated because he's being talked about as being on Andrew Luck's level. Comparing him to Cutler and Stafford is probably more of a slight.

I've not heard the Luck comps. That makes more sense. Some people are obviously speaking hyperbole. Not uncommon this time of year.

Still, if he can carve out a draft position and career similar to Cutler/Stafford I'd say that's a very successful one. From a skill standpoint I don't think he plays like them though.

Hackenberg has been getting a tonne of love for a while now. And as I said last year, it's impressive and all how he's so young and already 'looks' the part, but he put up mediocre numbers last year and so far this year, albeit still early, he hasn't showed any progress at all. I'd stay the hell away from him in fantasy at this stage.

At risk of being "that guy," I think he might be a better talent than Gurley.

IIRC Gurley might have even made some comments to that effect about Chubb and Michel (though I don't think Michel is a top prospect, personally).

It's still early in the college season and he's only a true freshman, but my God, you gotta check out Samaje Perine RB from OU. You'll be hearing about him soon enough. 5'11 240 lbs. Watching defenders bounce off him is hilarious. 242 rushing yards and 4 TDs last game vs West Virginia.

IIRC Gurley might have even made some comments to that effect about Chubb and Michel (though I don't think Michel is a top prospect, personally).
All this shows is that Gurley is a humble kid. Everything I've heard about him solidifies that. The difference is night and day right now. Gurley is much better than the other RBs and the offense looks like a different unit when's he's on the field. What I find interesting is that UGA continues to play Michel over Chubb and keep him higher in the rotation. Chubb looks better to me but UGA doesn't seem to be thinking so.

Goff rolls away from pressure, throws on the run 25 yards downfield, hits the receiver in stride for a 75-yarder to tie the game at 42:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11601636

Stands in the pocket, perfect throw dropping the ball in over the defender for a 40-yard TD to take the lead 49-42:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11601716

Both of these were you-gotta-be-kidding-me plays, given the situation. Goff is still under the radar a bit but by the end of the season he's going to be a hot topic.

http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Cal-wide-receiver-Lawler-uses-height-big-hands-5797493.php

Kenny Lawler’s hands aren’t just big. They’re huge.

So huge, in fact, the Cal receiver can’t find gloves that fit.

Nike has a size chart for its football gloves that stops at XXL. Another manufacturer, Eastbay, sells an XXXL glove that measures nearly 8.5 inches from top to bottom.

But even that doesn’t quite fit the bill for Lawler.

“Them XXXLs fit a little tight,” he said.

All this shows is that Gurley is a humble kid. Everything I've heard about him solidifies that. The difference is night and day right now. Gurley is much better than the other RBs and the offense looks like a different unit when's he's on the field.What I find interesting is that UGA continues to play Michel over Chubb and keep him higher in the rotation. Chubb looks better to me but UGA doesn't seem to be thinking so.
Michel is basically filling the Marshall passing back role. I expect Chubb to take over Gurley's feature back role next year.

Xue said:

All this shows is that Gurley is a humble kid. Everything I've heard about him solidifies that. The difference is night and day right now. Gurley is much better than the other RBs and the offense looks like a different unit when's he's on the field.What I find interesting is that UGA continues to play Michel over Chubb and keep him higher in the rotation. Chubb looks better to me but UGA doesn't seem to be thinking so.
Michel is basically filling the Marshall passing back role. I expect Chubb to take over Gurley's feature back role next year.
Michel is not filling the pass blocking role at all he's 2nd in the rotation. UGA is rotating their backs rather consistently and pass blocking or down and distance have had almost nothing to do with it. Chub may be the guy next year but that doesn't change that UGA seems to prefer playing Michel 1st in the rotation right now. I thought that might change after the Clemson game when Michel was ahead of him but severely outplayed. But it hasn't.

Goff this week, 37/53, 527 yards, 5TD, 0 INT, in a 60-59 win.

The Cal defense is hilariously bad (faced 70 pass attempts, zero INTs, zero sacks), but it's sure giving Goff an opportunity to sling it around.

Rotoworld:

Three of four polled ESPN "College Football Insiders" voted Clemson QB Deshaun Watson as the nation's top freshman player.

Tom Lemming ranked Watson as the No. 3 player in the country in the 2014 class. "The staff had told me about him in the spring, saying he was special. He is," Travis Haney wrote. "It's playing out the way I wrote it in the preseason: The Tigers would lose their early tests, he would get the job by October and the team would get red-hot the rest of the season." Added draft guru Kevin Weidl, one of the panel members: "There are several candidates but my pick is Watson. Aside from Florida State, yes, the majority of his competition has been sub-par, but it doesn't take a super scout to recognize his talent. He is a dynamic athlete who has flashed the ability to make NFL-caliber throws. Plus, the dual-threat quarterback has accounted for 10 touchdowns in his first two starts and has changed the entire complexion of the Tigers' offense." Watson leads the nation in Total QBR (for comparison: Marcus Mariota is No. 3, Brett Hundley is No. 10, and Jameis Winston is

Source: ESPN Insider
Oct 8 - 12:24 AM

Rotoworld:

Ole Miss sophomore WR Laquon Treadwell has the same upside as Bears' WR Alshon Jeffery coming out of South Carolina in 2012, writes ESPN's Steve Muench.

"Treadwell is a big-bodied receiver who has an edge to his game and knows how to throw his weight around," Muench wrote. "He uses his frame to shield defenders, is tough to tackle after the catch and is an above-average blocker. While he doesn't have elite top-end speed or elusiveness, he is fast enough to stretch the field and is an instinctive open-field runner who can make the first defender miss." The 6-foot-2, 229-pound Treadwell was graded by Rivals as the No. 10 overall player in the 2013 class. "Treadwell has the big hands and length to make contested catches in the red zone and downfield, but he can take his eyes off the ball and drop a pass he should catch, so there's room for improvement when it comes to his ball skills," Muench wrote.

Source: ESPN Insider
Oct 9 - 8:57 PM

ESPN finally notices Goff:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/78269/jared-goff-has-cal-on-the-rise

If it was humanly possible to forget the past and look at each season as its own individual entity, Cal sophomore quarterback Jared Goff would be just as prevalent in the Heisman Trophy discussions as any player in the country.

Among the 97 quarterbacks in the country who have attempted more than 110 passes, Goff’s QBR (89.6) ranks No. 1. He ranks No. 7 in passing yards (1,875), and 53.3 percent of his pass attempts (including sacks) on third down have gone for first downs, the third-best rate in the country.

In every way a quarterback can be evaluated -- wins, stats, physical ability, leadership -- Goff measures up well.

Oregon’s Marcus Mariota might be the best player in the country, but against two common opponents -- WSU and Arizona -- there wasn’t anything that indicated he was that much better than Goff. In fact, looking at those two games in a vacuum, it’d be hard not to give the edge to Goff.

If it was humanly possible to forget the past and look at each season as its own individual entity, Cal sophomore quarterback Jared Goff would be just as prevalent in the Heisman Trophy discussions as any player in the country.

Among the 97 quarterbacks in the country who have attempted more than 110 passes, Goff’s QBR (89.6) ranks No. 1. He ranks No. 7 in passing yards (1,875), and 53.3 percent of his pass attempts (including sacks) on third down have gone for first downs, the third-best rate in the country.

In every way a quarterback can be evaluated -- wins, stats, physical ability, leadership -- Goff measures up well.

Oregon’s Marcus Mariota might be the best player in the country, but against two common opponents -- WSU and Arizona -- there wasn’t anything that indicated he was that much better than Goff. In fact, looking at those two games in a vacuum, it’d be hard not to give the edge to Goff.
Goff's not draft eligible is he? Obviously he's been fantastic so far, but I don't find it surprising that a non-draft eligible guy who's 5 games into his first dominant season, who plays on the west coast, and who doesn't have a signature win against a big opponent yet, that he hasn't got much media hype. If he continues this level of play throughout the year, and especially if he can get a big win or 2, he'll have plenty of hype going into next season I would guess.

Goff's not draft eligible is he? Obviously he's been fantastic so far, but I don't find it surprising that a non-draft eligible guy who's 5 games into his first dominant season, who plays on the west coast, and who doesn't have a signature win against a big opponent yet, that he hasn't got much media hype. If he continues this level of play throughout the year, and especially if he can get a big win or 2, he'll have plenty of hype going into next season I would guess.
Yes, he's not draft eligible, that's why we're in the NON-draft-eligible thread.

If Cal manages to beat USC, UCLA or Stanford (boo) this year the hype's going to explode. But, the schedule has been front-loaded with the easiest games, so it's very possible for us to go 1-6 the rest of the way.

Anybody watch the Georgia game?

Nick Chubb got 38 carries. 143 yards, or 3.8 per. Lots of yards, but a ton of carries too.

How did he look in his first extended action?

Goff didn't have a great game this week (35/51, 304 yards, 0 TD 0 INT, 3 fumbles, 2 lost), but he is still showing progression in his game; this was the best he's looked in terms of keeping his head up and finding second and third receivers and keeping plays alive. His accuracy was a bit off, which cost him at least one TD, and Dykes did a crappy job adjusting to the fact that Washington was defending screens and swing passes at the line, with two very deep safeties, and leaving the middle of the field open. All our big gainers came in the middle of the field, and we had probably five WR screens incomplete or stopped behind the line.

One notable concern: One of Goff's fumbles came on a QB sneak at the goal line. We had the ball a couple inches from the goal, and I said to my seat-mates, "I wonder what we're going to do here; most teams would QB sneak it, but we never line up under center." Goff lined up in the shotgun, but then walked up behind the center and took a pro-style snap, fumbling it into the arms of Shaq Thompson who ran it back 100 yards. Even kneeling on the ball at the end of the game we've done out of the shotgun. So there are going to be questions about Goff's ability to line up under center.

Rotoworld:

Sports Illustrated's Inside Read reports that some inside the Clemson football program believe freshman QB Deshaun Watson is already better than Tajh Boyd.

Boyd, who holds basically every Clemson throwing record as well as the ACC record for career touchdown passes (106), was a sixth-round pick of the Jets in last May’s draft. "The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Watson is already going through his progressions in a way Boyd wasn’t able to do until his senior year," wrote SI's Pete Thamel and Thayer Evans. "He is also finding checkdowns instead of throwing deep into double-coverage like Boyd often did. Watson is a calm presence, whose innocent and fun demeanor is contagious. It’s a stark difference from the emotional Boyd, who often got rattled early in big games and never rebounded." Watson, who will miss a month after breaking a bone in his right hand versus Louisville, was the top-rated dual-threat quarterback in the 2014 class.

Source: Sports Illustrated
Oct 15 - 4:25 PM

Rotoworld:

Penn State head coach James Franklin is not concerned about sophomore QB Christian Hackenberg getting frustrated.

You could forgive Hackenberg -- who has been sacked 20 times already -- for being a bit perturbed. He's playing behind a paper-thin offensive line that has been brutalized by two full years of sanctions. "He’s frustrated and we’re all looking at ourselves and things that we can do better," Franklin said. "But he’s been really good, he’s been really good with his teammates, he’s been really good with the coaches." Penn State has a bye this weekend, allowing the star QB to get healthy for next weekend's primetime matchup versus Ohio State at Beaver Stadium.

Source: NBC's College Football Talk
Penn State sophomore QB Christian Hackenberg completed 21-of-32 attempts for 160 yards, a touchdown and an interception in a loss to Michigan on Saturday.

Earlier this season, Hackenberg was the talk of college football. The 2013 Big Ten Freshman of the Year was called "the top QB in college football" in September by a veteran AFC scout and NFL.com wrote that he was "generating the most buzz with NFL scouts" amongst quarterbacks. In the middle of last month, Massachusetts coach Mark Whipple said Hackenberg would be the No. 1 overall pick when he entered the draft. Over his last three games, however, Hackenberg has completed 53 percent of his passes just once, hasn't thrown for even 220 yards, and has posted a 1/2 TD/INT rate. Overall, he owns an ugly 5/7 TD/INT rate. Hackenberg is extremely gifted, but he needs time to develop those gifts. Fortunately, he'll be back in Happy Valley next season to do just that.

Oct 13 - 1:17 AM

Anybody watch the Georgia game?

Nick Chubb got 38 carries. 143 yards, or 3.8 per. Lots of yards, but a ton of carries too.

How did he look in his first extended action?
I was impressed but I think he can be coached up. He's still young and I think he will improve.

Chubb might be the best pro prospect at RB in college football. He's the total package. Just needs to stay healthy.

Tearing up Arkansas today. 127 yards and 2 TDs before halftime.

Check out this run. There aren't a lot of guys on the planet who are 5'10" 228 with 10.6X speed in the 100m and feet like this.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11722768

Chubb might be the best pro prospect at RB in college football. He's the total package. Just needs to stay healthy.

Tearing up Arkansas today. 127 yards and 2 TDs before halftime.

Check out this run. There aren't a lot of guys on the planet who are 5'10" 228 with 10.6X speed in the 100m and feet like this.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11722768
Huh? Am I completely missing something? What kind of feet do you need to get through a hole that huge? No offense but there is absolutely nothing about that run that stands out. And one game makes him the best pro prospect over guys like Gurley and Gordon and others?

And is Arkansas supposed to be a defensive stalwart against the run?

Huh? Am I completely missing something?
Apparently. Watch the second camera angle for the cut he makes at 0:20. Not many big backs can square up and freeze somebody in space like that.

It's not about "one game" either. Chubb was one of the top backs in his recruiting class and has carried that over into the regular season. He has been consistently impressive from day one. If you haven't seen any of his work, take a look at the links below:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11440392

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11598465

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11722671

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11642029

Chubb is listed at 5'10" 228 pounds on Georgia's website. He ran a10.69 in the 100m during Georgia state prelims last year. A few weeks before winning the state title in the shotput. You can argue that Gurley and Gordon are better, but he's more compact than either, stronger, and probably faster too.

So you're a big Knile Davis fan too, then, right? He's 5'10, 228, and ran a 4.37 at the combine at that size. Was he the best RB prospect going into the NFL that year? Unfortunately, size and speed isn't the only thing that makes a good RB.

I've seen Chubb. Thanks for the links. There's still nothing spectacular at all about that run you linked in that previous post, IMO. Just strange to me to use this one game and that link to use as evidence that he's the best RB prospect in the league. There's just nothing special about 127 yds and 2 TDs against Arkansas and just nothing special about that run to use as evidence to support your position on him. Plenty of other things you can point to, IMO, that might support that position. That's all.

Let the Chubb fest continue without any further interruption from me.

Unfortunately, size and speed isn't the only thing that makes a good RB.
http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/96532.gif

Knile and Chubb don't have much in common besides similar dimensions on paper. They aren't built the same and they don't run the same.

If you want to say that there's "nothing special" about rushing for 127 yards at 10+ YPC in a single half against an SEC opponent then that's your MO. I've been singing Chubb's praises for months. This game today didn't suddenly cause that. It's just another chapter in what's becoming a consistent story.

Unfortunately, size and speed isn't the only thing that makes a good RB.
http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/96532.gif

Knile and Chubb don't have much in common besides similar dimensions on paper. They aren't built the same and they don't run the same.

If you want to say that there's "nothing special" about rushing for 127 yards at 10+ YPC in a single half against an SEC opponent then that's your MO. I've been singing Chubb's praises for months. This game today didn't suddenly cause that. It's just another chapter in what's becoming a consistent story.
Arkansas has been nothing special against the run. SEC defense in general this year hasn't been anything extraordinary. As you're typing this, Yeldon has 13/114/2 at 8.8 ypc (the exact same YPC that Chubb has) against Texas A&M (another SEC team). Is that extraordinary? Gordon ran for 16/140/1 for 8.8 ypc earlier this year against LSU. Gurley had 15/198/3 against Clemson who happens to actually be ranked 10th in the nation against the run. He also dropped 28/208/2 against Tenn (another SEC team and ranked similarly to Arkansas against the run).

No, it's nothing special from the top RBs in the nation. I mean, sure, it's a great game compared to most every other RB in college. But if you're going to make the claim about him being the best RB prospect in the nation with that as proof, then I'd be more impressed if his peers weren't all doing the same thing. It's what they all do. Now if he wants to run for 13/253/5 like Melvin Gordon did against Alabama, then I'll be impressed. Otherwise, no, it's nothing special for a good RB prospect. It's somewhat expected.

I'm not even saying I don't like Chubb. But if you're going to make a claim that he's the best RB prospect in the country with the likes of a Gurley or Gordon and others in a very deep class, using stats he's putting up that they are also doing doesn't serve to set him apart. I watched that run and said "meh". I looked at those stats and said "ok, seen it before". It may not be your purpose, but nothing you posted there does anything to convince anyone he's better than Gurley or Gordon or anyone else in the country. And yes, I know you've been beating that drum for a long time before this game. Hard to miss.

ETA-- Where were you last week when it took nearly 40 carries for Chubb to hit 143 yards against Mizzou last week at a whopping 3.8 ypc? The same Mizzou that's ranked 60th against the run and allowed the likes of Kareem Hunt to run for more yards on only 15 carries with a 15/148/3 line. Not seeing the "consistent story" there.

You're wasting a lot of time and energy making points that aren't even related to what I said. I said he might be the best RB prospect in the country and that he's having a huge game today. Nowhere did I say that this game proves he's better than X, Y, and Z players. If you want to compare him to guys like Gordon and Gurley, I could provide a variety of reasons for why he might be better. Production wouldn't be a big part of that since stats are correlated with talent, but not necessarily proof of it. Especially in college, where 95% of the defenders will never sniff a starting job in the NFL.

Most people with a broad knowledge base about the current CFB crop would probably agree that Chubb is one of the best RB talents in his class, if not the best based on what we've seen so far. If he's one of the best RBs in his class then chances are he's also one of the best RBs in college football. It's not really a controversial opinion, so I don't know why you've decided to plant your flag and pick a battle here.

Oh, it's related alright. When Todd Gurley is still in college and you make a statement that Chubb might be the best pro prospect in college football, that is certainly controversial. Gurley the CONSENSUS, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, TOP RB in the country. And you're saying this guy with 2 starts under his belt is now possibly the better prospect? Well, hmm, I might need to pay attention.

So I look at the stats you posted. 127 yds and 2 TDs against a 60th ranked Arkansas? Not impressed, sorry. I've seen Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon, others do the same if not more.

Well, let me watch this amazing run you posted then. What? So he ran through a huge open hole?

I'm sorry you don't get where I'm coming from. Your statement is indeed controversial and you did nothing to "prove it". You're entitled to your opinion. I know you like Chubb. But so far nothing about him stands out to pass him against some elite RB prospects.

Oh, it's related alright. When Todd Gurley is still in college and you make a statement that Chubb might be the best pro prospect in college football, that is certainly controversial. Gurley the CONSENSUS, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, TOP RB in the country. And you're saying this guy with 2 starts under his belt is now possibly the better prospect? Well, hmm, I might need to pay attention.

So I look at the stats you posted. 127 yds and 2 TDs against a 60th ranked Arkansas? Not impressed, sorry. I've seen Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon, others do the same if not more.

Well, let me watch this amazing run you posted then. What? So he ran through a huge open hole?

I'm sorry you don't get where I'm coming from. Your statement is indeed controversial and you did nothing to "prove it". You're entitled to your opinion. I know you like Chubb. But so far nothing about him stands out to pass him against some elite RB prospects.
Chubb is a very exciting Freshman prospect and I'm of the belief that he has the tools to make a great Pro someday. Yes, these claims by EBF are hyperbole at its best though. Let's just make this as simple as it gets. We've seen Chubb run vs. the same defenses ADPs Gurley in the same games. It's not even close. Gurley is/was far superior. So, there is basically zero chance he is the best RB in college football right now. There is basically zero chance he's the best on his team. That of course is setting the bar high. Gurley is a monster and tips the field. Let's just wait and see a bit more from Chubb and see if he can confirm what we hope he might become.

You're entitled to your opinion.
Exactly this. It works both ways though. You can say "this is not impressive" about a highlight/stat/measurable and that's just your opinion. In posting those links, I was explaining my own perspective, not seeking your approval. I don't care what you do or don't find impressive. That's immaterial to me.

Gurley's hype has built over the course of three college seasons. If you compare the hype that any player has in his final college season to the hype he had in the middle of his freshman season, you're usually going to find that the former is a lot greater. In terms of the actual talent that the two players have shown, I'm more impressed by what I've seen from Chubb this year than what I saw from Gurley in 2012. That's just my take, but given two more years to build his reputation and generate national hype, I think you'll find that Chubb in 2016 (barring major injuries) is going to have equal or greater hype than what Gurley has right this moment. So while Gurley might be rated higher everywhere, I think his advanced class standing and longer track record is a big part of that. I think the debate over their actual talent level (which is what I'm trying to assess) would be a lot closer.

Chubb is a very exciting Freshman prospect and I'm of the belief that he has the tools to make a great Pro someday. Yes, these claims by EBF are hyperbole at its best though. Let's just make this as simple as it gets. We've seen Chubb run vs. the same defenses ADPs Gurley in the same games. It's not even close. Gurley is/was far superior. So, there is basically zero chance he is the best RB in college football right now. There is basically zero chance he's the best on his team. That of course is setting the bar high. Gurley is a monster and tips the field. Let's just wait and see a bit more from Chubb and see if he can confirm what we hope he might become.
Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread