Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Xue

Dynasty: NON-Draft eligible College prospects

Some predictions:

This year's Amari Cooper will be Robbie Rhodes, Baylor.

The Heisman winner will be another unknown in Florida State QB Jameis Winston.

Ok, it was against Pitt, but impressive nonetheless debut by Winston. Made a few nice throws against pressure.

Never heard of him. I will try to keep an eye out.

Thomas Tyner was held out of Oregon's opener against Nicholls as a precaution. Hope he gets some run against Virginia next weekend. Really curious to see what he can do.

Any thoughts on bj catalon rb tcu? Looked very explosive this weekend and my have a breakout campaign

He doesn't look that much different than senior Waymon James, except a little faster.

Any thoughts on bj catalon rb tcu? Looked very explosive this weekend and my have a breakout campaign

I haven't watched the game yet will look at it later today but I remember him being a smaller back too small for my taste at this point but will keep my mind open as I watch more games.

Tex

Some predictions:

Rotoworld:

ESPN college football analyst Danny Kanell said true freshman Jameis Winston is the "most talented person" to ever quarterback the Seminoles.

Winston, of course, is hours away from his college debut on Monday night against Pittsburgh. "When I look at film and see him throw the football or see him run, I see the most talented person at the quarterback position that has ever come through that program," said Kanell, a former Florida State quarterback. "And that includes two Heisman Trophy winners and two first-round draft picks." The 6-foot-4, 227-pound Winston was the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the 2012 recruiting class. Don't expect immediate domination, however: Former Noles QB EJ Manuel, the Buffalo Bills' most recent No. 1 pick, struggled at times in Jimbo Fisher's offense and we expect Winston to similarly (at least initially) mix jaw-dropping displays of athleticism with mouth-agape tactical miscues.

Some predictions:

Rotoworld:

ESPN college football analyst Danny Kanell said true freshman Jameis Winston is the "most talented person" to ever quarterback the Seminoles.

Winston, of course, is hours away from his college debut on Monday night against Pittsburgh. "When I look at film and see him throw the football or see him run, I see the most talented person at the quarterback position that has ever come through that program," said Kanell, a former Florida State quarterback. "And that includes two Heisman Trophy winners and two first-round draft picks." The 6-foot-4, 227-pound Winston was the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the 2012 recruiting class. Don't expect immediate domination, however: Former Noles QB EJ Manuel, the Buffalo Bills' most recent No. 1 pick, struggled at times in Jimbo Fisher's offense and we expect Winston to similarly (at least initially) mix jaw-dropping displays of athleticism with mouth-agape tactical miscues.

This is typical Orlando Sentinel garbage. Jameis Winston is really not all that great of an athlete in terms of speed/agility. Sure he is big and can move but he did not go 25/27 for 356 and 4 passing TDs because of "jaw-dropping displays of athleticism". He did it because he is an extremely polished QB. Funny how they predict he will be an amazing athlete but struggle with "mouth-agape tactical miscues". I guess it is the thinking part of the game he will have trouble with in spite of his amazing athletic ability.

Edited by Wadsworth

Over the weekend, one of the analysts (not Kanell) on ESPN picked Winston to win the Heisman.

Edited by BeTheMatch

Some predictions:

Rotoworld:

This is typical Orlando Sentinel garbage. Jameis Winston is really not all that great of an athlete in terms of speed/agility. Sure he is big and can move but he did not go 25/27 for 356 and 4 passing TDs because of "jaw-dropping displays of athleticism". He did it because he is an extremely polished QB. Funny how they predict he will be an amazing athlete but struggle with "mouth-agape tactical miscues". I guess it is the thinking part of the game he will have trouble with in spite of his amazing athletic ability.

I agree. Winston doesn't look that great of an athlete. But he doesn't need to be. His passing will (have to) be his strength. I don't see him running much when he gets to the NFL.

I haven't watched the game yet will look at it later today but I remember him being a smaller back too small for my taste at this point but will keep my mind open as I watch more games.

Tex

He's 5'9" 190 lbs and built fairly well.

http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2013/09/01/00/24/141gFl.St.58.jpeg

Tex

He's 5'9" 190 lbs and built fairly well.

http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2013/09/01/00/24/141gFl.St.58.jpeg

He sure looks built in that pic. The last time I saw him he didn't look that compact. I'm watching games now.....TCU is next after I watch the Indy vs Indy St. game.

Funny how most of this thread is about guys that are already household names.I really like the physical presence of Quincy Enunwa from NU. He still needs polish as a junior but the guy is a load to bring down and reminds me of TO with his strength after the catch but needs to work on his hands

3 Tds in 2 games, had a few borderline drops today, but were on throws into coverage. In addition to his TD today, had a PI called in EZ as defender jumped on his back

He got sniped from me today, but if you can wait until 2015, Devin Funchess > Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Just noticed Funchess for the first time against Notre Dame this past weekend. While he did not light up the scoreboard, physically he looks like he has what it takes to be a star.

I see that he is listed at 6'5 and 228. That's pretty light for an NFL TE. Do you think he will add more weight, or is WR his natural position in the NFL? Actually, it probably does not matter, with the way the TE and WR skills have begun to merge over the past several years. Either way he could take advantage of mismatches against the defense.

Tedford said before last season that Rodgers was the best TE in the country.

I didn't believe him, but that got my attention.

Edited by EBF

Saw that yesterday. Some chatter on Oregon message boards and Twitter that it's not serious.

Hope so, because I'm excited to see what he can do this year.

2 TDs on his first 4 college carries, albeit against a dog tired and demoralized Virginia team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNBiotjReVY

With Byron Marshall struggling in that game, a lot of the Oregon fans are already calling for Tyner to take over his role.

Not sure that will happen, but they will find ways to get him involved as he gets comfortable with the pace of the game and the playbook.

Tedford said before last season that Rodgers was the best TE in the country.

I didn't believe him, but that got my attention.

He still needs to work on his hands; probably closer to a Vernon Davis comp than a Rob Gronkowski.

He got sniped from me today, but if you can wait until 2015, Devin Funchess > Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Just noticed Funchess for the first time against Notre Dame this past weekend. While he did not light up the scoreboard, physically he looks like he has what it takes to be a star.

I see that he is listed at 6'5 and 228. That's pretty light for an NFL TE. Do you think he will add more weight, or is WR his natural position in the NFL? Actually, it probably does not matter, with the way the TE and WR skills have begun to merge over the past several years. Either way he could take advantage of mismatches against the defense.

He does look a bit thin for a TE, but he's got good strength for blocking. Michigan is wasting his talents having him inline and blocking. I really like his body control and catch radius. He's got time to put on some weight, preferably 250 at least. By comparison, someone like Ladarius Green is only 240.

Richard Rodgers will start to get some mention as the next hot pass-catching TE. Listed at 6'4", 245, very athletic for his size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yQjC-V7grQ

(Son of the Richard Rodgers who touched the ball twice during The Play)

I mentioned Rodgers before in the 2014 thread (since he's a rSo). He's one of the better RAC TEs in college right now. Really like him.

Speaking of Cal, if you guys want the next De'Anthony Thomas, it's Khalfani Muhammad. Ran a personal best of 10.22 100M as a senior. That's the same personal best CJ Spiller ran in college.

Edited by Xue

A lot of deserved hype on Jameis Winston, but I think more people should be talking about the other blue-chip (true) Freshman RB: Christian Hackenberg, Penn State.

Hack has the look of a future #1 pick. His mechanics look really polished for a true freshman. One thing I really like is the fact that he doesn't lock out his front knee, something common in young QBs. That just indicates to me he already has a strong core/base to throw from.

Check out this deep ball at 0:51:

Looks to have really clean and easy delivery; with an elite level arm comparable to Stafford/Bradford/Roethlisberger. Can throw on the run as well.

Richard Rodgers will start to get some mention as the next hot pass-catching TE. Listed at 6'4", 245, very athletic for his size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yQjC-V7grQ

(Son of the Richard Rodgers who touched the ball twice during The Play)

I mentioned Rodgers before in the 2014 thread (since he's a rSo). He's one of the better RAC TEs in college right now. Really like him.

Speaking of Cal, if you guys want the next De'Anthony Thomas, it's Khalfani Muhammad. Ran a personal best of 10.22 100M as a senior. That's the same personal best CJ Spiller ran in college.

I think Brendan Bigelow has better NFL prospects. Pretty dang fast, with great balance and, so far, better vision than Muhammad.

Rotoworld:

Michigan junior QB Devin Gardner "could be a tantalizing choice as a face of a franchise in the 2015 draft," according to NFL.com's Bucky Brooks.

Brooks admits that Gardner still has plenty to learn at the quarterback position, but believes the young passer can grow in the next year and a half. Gardner "capably made strong throws to every area of the field, while also showing a deft touch dropping in teardrops near the sideline," Brooks writes. "He flashed ability to make accurate throws on the move to either direction, which makes him a terror to defend on bootlegs and naked passes." We would like to see the Wolverine passer show more poise in the pocket, but he's off to a great start.
Source: NFL.com
  • Like 1

Gardner has a lot of upside, but still needs more polish. He should stay for his Senior season.

• Like 1

Funny how most of this thread is about guys that are already household names.I really like the physical presence of Quincy Enunwa from NU. He still needs polish as a junior but the guy is a load to bring down and reminds me of TO with his strength after the catch but needs to work on his hands

3 Tds in 2 games, had a few borderline drops today, but were on throws into coverage. In addition to his TD today, had a PI called in EZ as defender jumped on his back
2 more TDs today, take note!!

True freshman RB from Pitt James Conner looks like an interesting prospect. Only took him 2 games before he ended up being Pitt's bellcow RB. Looks like he has a bit of Steven Jackson in his game, tall guy (6'2) with some wiggle and decent speed. Just needs to learn to catch.

Check out this run of his from last week.

Edited by Time Kibitzer

Rotoworld:

North Texas head coach Dan McCartney called Georgia sophomore RB Todd Gurley a future first-round pick.

"He is a sensational football player," McCartney said. "Anytime you can hold a player like that to 12 yards as his longest run, you are doing some really positive things." Gurley was held to 91 yards on 21 carries by North Texas, so perhaps the coach was attempting to pat his team on the back a bit. Regardless, Gurley is a talented runner who wins on contact and with vision.

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks writes that the "buzz is slowly growing in NFL circles that [LSU sophomore RB Jeremy] Hill could be a legitimate bell cow at the next level."

Hill has collected 351 rushing yards and six TDs on 42 carries this season for an average of 8.4 yards per attempt. The YPC stat is particularly impressive, as Hill is a monstrous 6-foot-2, 235-pounder who pounds the rock between the tackles. Brooks calls him "an old-school power runner with a dynamic game" who "excels at moving piles between the tackles, yet shows surprising speed and quickness getting to the second level." Hill be tested on Saturday against Georgia, but his style has already proven effective against big and athletic SEC defenses. "If he continues to dazzle with the spotlight squarely on him, NFL scouts will certainly consider him an intriguing franchise-caliber running back in a few years," Brooks writes.
Source: NFL.com

I'm not much of a scout, but a guy completely off the radar that might surprise in the 2015 draft is Taylor Heinecke from Old Dominion. Set all kinds of records and won the Walter Payton award last year as a Sophomore QB. ODU is moving up to FBS (Conference USA) and playing a wierd hybrid schedule this year, or he'd be the front-runner to win it again. (They play 4 or 5 FBS games this year as an independant, and start play in CUSA next year).

Video game numbers last year...broke the FCS record for yardage at over 5000 with 44 passing TDs (14 picks). He also ran for 470 yards and 11 TDs, and holds the passing record for any level in a game at 730 yards.

I've watched him in person 8 or 9 times....very strong arm, highly athletic, and accurate. Throws a beautiful deep ball, routinely tossing ACCURATE passes 40 yards downfield, but can also throw with touch. Can throw on the run, and is smart (engineering major with a high GPA). Would need to adjust, coming from a spread option offense where over 75% of his snaps are from shotgun, but this same style has gained popularity in the NFL. Only real knock is less than ideal size at 6'1", 205 pounds, but the success of Brees and Wilson at that size has many second-guessing the idea that QB's need to be 6'3"+.

Not likely to garner a ton of National attention on a program that won't win many FBS games while he's still playing, he will be a DEEEEEP sleeper, but a name FBGs should know.

Edited by renesauz

I can't believe this isn't being talked about, considering how high he went in so many Devy drafts, but what the hell's going on with Amari Cooper?

I can't believe this isn't being talked about, considering how high he went in so many Devy drafts, but what the hell's going on with Amari Cooper?

He's been dealing with a toe injury and isn't 100% yet even though he played today.

I like him. He's got great ball skills and runs some great routes, but I don't think he's a special WR on the level of Julio Jones and AJ Green. Reminds me a lot of Stevie Johnson.

He's been dealing with a toe injury and isn't 100% yet even though he played today.

I like him. He's got great ball skills and runs some great routes, but I don't think he's a special WR on the level of Julio Jones and AJ Green. Reminds me a lot of Stevie Johnson.

That's the feeling I get with him as well--physically, measurables-wise, he's never going to be perceived like the freaks and even if he perfects everything else by the time he declares, he doesn't have the height or leaping ability to be perceived like Green.

His best bet is to be like Marquise Lee (though I think he's got better plucking ability and hands in general, and underrated YAC skills). One advantage that I think he has, that NFL teams will value higher than dynasty owners, is that he seems to really be a transcendent route-runner. He is special in that regard. I think he has a chance to be regarded as a special WR because of his mastery of the technical aspects of the position, and the fact that he can compensate for his lack of ideal height in a lot of ways.

Edited by ConnSKINS26

I keep waiting to see this guy dominate in real games, on Saturday. Unfortunately it hasn't happened. I keep reading/hearing about him dominating at practice and other Bama functions. I like Cooper a good bit but have to agree I'm just not seeing the top 10 level talent we were executing.

On another note, the WR who's impressed me most this year is Landry at LSU. I think he's a 1st rounder now.

Yea, Cooper has been pretty quiet this year. I have not been blown away by what I've seen from him. Looks solid. Just not seeing freakish qualities. I rated Diggs higher going into the season and would probably stick with that assessment for now. Diggs is a little small for a #1 NFL WR, but he just has that look of a first rounder. Dorial Green-Beckham was supposed to be the big thing from that prep class and he has finally started to deliver on the hype. He has almost matched his yardage and TD totals from all of 2012 through just four games this year. I still haven't decided if he's a legitimate talent or just a tall fast guy, but he's got to be in the picture for a top 5-6 slot in that dev class if you were drafting today. That is shaping up to be a pretty strong group.

Looking ahead to the 2016 class, my guy Thomas Tyner is showing some flashes. Nearly had his first 100 yard game in the drubbing of Cal last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArP0xOs8l8Q

With DeAnthony Thomas nursing an ankle injury, we could see more of him in the next couple games.

Another player stepping up this year in the Pac-12 is Stanford WR Devon Cajuste. He is technically eligible for the 2014 draft, but it would be a huge shock if he declared since this is his first year getting serious PT. Stanford plays him at WR, but he's 6'4" 232 and could have a bright future as a receiving TE.

Jameis Winston looks like he's NFL ready now. Barring a catastrophic injury, he seems to be a lock to be a top 5 pick in 2015.

ETA: Heisman incoming.

Edited by werdnoynek

Jameis Winston looks like he's NFL ready now. Barring a catastrophic injury, he seems to be a lock to be a top 5 pick in 2015.

I just spend the past half hour gushing in the FFA college football thread about how he could start in the NFL today. Incredible.

I just spend the past half hour gushing in the FFA college football thread about how he could start in the NFL today. Incredible.

Didn't know there was such a thread. I'll have to peek in.

Didn't know there was such a thread. I'll have to peek in.

:thumbup: it's a huge thread, always new activity, even during the week.

Watched about two plays of the Georgia-Tennessee game during my lunch break and happened to catch a pretty bad injury to Keith Marshall. Hit really hard in the hip area right as he was planting. Down and in a lot of pain immediately. He didn't return to the game and is scheduled for x-rays and MRI. Could be a big story if it's a bad injury, as I think he was shaping up to one of the better devy RB prospects in his draft year.

Watched about two plays of the Georgia-Tennessee game during my lunch break and happened to catch a pretty bad injury to Keith Marshall. Hit really hard in the hip area right as he was planting. Down and in a lot of pain immediately. He didn't return to the game and is scheduled for x-rays and MRI. Could be a big story if it's a bad injury, as I think he was shaping up to one of the better devy RB prospects in his draft year.

I own Marshall in one league and turned the TV on literally as he was being hit.

Assuming it's a fairly straight ACL (or less) and not massive reconstruction he should be fine by next year.

Devin Funchess was finally unleashed today. Currently my #1 TE for 2015 (Actually, I'd put him over anyone in 2014 as well). Though he has a chance to be a WR in the NFL if he doesn't put on anymore weight. Currently listed at 6'5" 225 and a lot more fluid than Mike Evans. I'm hoping he gets up to at least 240 and be everything we wanted from Ladarius Green.

Mike Davis RB South Carolina: Continues to put numbers, especially in the pass game. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the #1 RB for 2015 over Todd Gurley.

Devin Funchess was finally unleashed today. Currently my #1 TE for 2015 (Actually, I'd put him over anyone in 2014 as well). Though he has a chance to be a WR in the NFL if he doesn't put on anymore weight. Currently listed at 6'5" 225 and a lot more fluid than Mike Evans. I'm hoping he gets up to at least 240 and be everything we wanted from Ladarius Green.

Mike Davis RB South Carolina: Continues to put numbers, especially in the pass game. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the #1 RB for 2015 over Todd Gurley.

Unless Gurley gets injured, not a chance.

Yes there is. I love Gurley, but he doesn't bring much to the passing game. Not explosive after the catch.

Yes there is. I love Gurley, but he doesn't bring much to the passing game. Not explosive after the catch.

Gurley is plenty explosive. Just because he's not asked to do something often doesn't mean he can't. His explosiveness is apparent.

Give me Duke Johnson please

You always seem to like some random dark horse prospect more than the frontrunner.

I can appreciate that to a point, but I think sometimes you try too hard to make the contrarian hero call.

Drake over Yeldon. Jairus Wright over Kendall Wright. Etc etc etc.

Gurley looks pretty solid to me. Could have minor shades of Ingram or Moreno in the sense that maybe he won't blow up the combine when it's all said and done, but he seems like a good power back prospect and he has deceptive big play ability. IIRC they even used him on returns at times last season. It's pretty rare for a 220+ pound back to have the mobility needed for that role, which says something about Gurley.

The gap is closer than people think. Davis doesn't have Gurley's level of power, but he's not far behind. His vision is better, his feet are quicker, and he runs less violently thus avoiding big hits.

Mike Davis is not a random dark horse. He was closely ranked to Gurley by the recruiting sites coming out. He's one of the top RBs in all of college football and you could have gotten him cheap before the year. Now he'll be an early Devy next year.

You don't think Drake is better than Yeldon? He's every bit as good as Yeldon, though, I'm not that high on either anyway. Each have their negatives.

Weren't you once high on Markus Wheaton and Branden Oliver?

The gap is closer than people think. Davis doesn't have Gurley's level of power, but he's not far behind. His vision is better, his feet are quicker, and he runs less violently thus avoiding big hits.

Mike Davis is not a random dark horse. He was closely ranked to Gurley by the recruiting sites coming out. He's one of the top RBs in all of college football and you could have gotten him cheap before the year. Now he'll be an early Devy next year.

You don't think Drake is better than Yeldon? He's every bit as good as Yeldon, though, I'm not that high on either anyway. Each have their negatives.

Everyone has their sleepers that they like. I just think you have a tendency to be a little too critical of the big names and a little too eager to hype up the darkhorses and sleepers. I'm sure it's sincere, but after a while it becomes tougher to take seriously when you are making those calls all the time.

There are some things about Yeldon that I don't like, but also some positives that really stand out. The coaching staff seems to clearly prefer him to Drake and, while it's not impossible that they could be wrong, I'm inclined to think that all signs point towards Yeldon being the better back there.

Everyone has their sleepers that they like. I just think you have a tendency to be a little too critical of the big names and a little too eager to hype up the darkhorses and sleepers. I'm sure it's sincere, but after a while it becomes tougher to take seriously when you are making those calls all the time.

There are some things about Yeldon that I don't like, but also some positives that really stand out. The coaching staff seems to clearly prefer him to Drake and, while it's not impossible that they could be wrong, I'm inclined to think that all signs point towards Yeldon being the better back there.

People were too eager to type up Yeldon just as I was very eager to detract him. Eventually, other talented RBs will emerge. Put Yeldon on LSU and he's just Alfred Blue. Put Drake on USC and he's Justin Davis.

I don't believe you're that big of a Gurley fan anyway, so putting Davis up there with Gurley should be less of a shock to you.

Melvin Gordon was probably a "sleeper" to most, but those who follow me on twitter will know that he was my #1 2014 RB since June. That's not contrarian. That's just calling it how I see it. None of that "I need to see him do it against this team first" and such.

I've been very critical of Seastrunk, but he's still my #2 2014 RB.

Trust me if there's an Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson in college football, it will be apparent and there's no way I'd say they're overrated. But Gurley isn't Peterson and guys like Coleman and Green-Beckham aren't Calvin.