What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: NON-Draft eligible College prospects (1 Viewer)

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

One NFL scout told Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel that if FSU redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston was eligible, he would be the No. 1 pick in May's draft.
"Rarely, do you see a quarterback at Winston's age who has the combination of size, speed, arm strength and field awareness that he has," the scout said. "He's a bigger, stronger, faster version of (Louisville's) Teddy Bridgewater." We aren't surprised, but we also expect Winston to be nitpicked by some during next year's draft process.

Source: Orlando Sentinel
Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl believes you can't teach QBs to handle the pass rush like Florida State redshirt freshman Jameis Winston.
"Winston is oblivious to the rush. Can't teach that," Weidl tweeted. "Toughness and stature to sit in and deliver while absorbing hits." The first year starter really is poised beyond his years, keeping his eyes up while finding operable space to hit targets at every level of the field.

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter
Assume that you are in a start 2 QB League. What devy pick would you say is fair market value for Winston?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Winston and the Noles knock out Miami this week I think he's guaranteed the heisman.
No way, not with Mariota still having big games on the slate.
Mariota is good... but Winston makes the wow plays and has elevated his team. I think Mariota is more of a steady-eddy, efficient passer who can bust a big play with his legs occasionally. Mariota isn't flashy and doesn't have the wow factor. I think Winston has more star quality than Mariota does as well as Johnny Football did last year.

If Winston and the Noles knock out Miami this week I think he's guaranteed the heisman.
Mariota plays only 1 good defense left in Stanford. Winston has Miami and Florida.
Florida? Florida is the reason FSU is going to stay behind Oregon this year. They aren't very good. Stanford is far better than anyone FSU has left and I'm a Mia fan. This isn't about them playing good defenses, it's about them playing games people care about.

Assume that you are in a start 2 QB League. What devy pick would you say is fair market value for Winston?
In a start 2, I'd have to say the 1.01, by a lot.
Easily
Definitely. Same in Superflex, which isn't much different.
A more difficult quesiton to answer: Where does he rank in standard (1QB) devy drafts?

In my only devy league, I have two devy picks (top 3, late), feel set at QB (Kaepernick/Bridgewater), and still feel that I at least need to entertain the idea of grabbing the kid. I hope I see value elsewhere at each pick, due to position, but if he's the Andrew Luck level prospect that some are suggesting - I don't think you can pass on that, assuming he's BPA.

Mariota plays only 1 good defense left in Stanford. Winston has Miami and Florida.
Florida? Florida is the reason FSU is going to stay behind Oregon this year. They aren't very good. Stanford is far better than anyone FSU has left and I'm a Mia fan. This isn't about them playing good defenses, it's about them playing games people care about.
Oregon is a great team. But can you honestly say Mariota is the reason they're winning right now? I don't think so... look at the UCLA game. It's the run game. Mariota was mediocre vs UCLA. Winston has the edge over Mariota in every passing category save yards, which isn't saying anything about Mariota because he's throwing 1.7+ yards less than Winston per attempt. When looking at competition, I'd say Miami, Clemson, & Maryland >>> Stanford, Washington, & UCLA all day. Again, star power will have a lot to say about who wins the Heisman... Mariota doesn't have much of it. Famous Jameis does.

If Gurley isn't the top rated back in 2015, something is seriously wrong in the world.
Based on what I've seen, he's everyone's favorite from that class, though it looks like a stacked class...heavy at RB finally.
Given that TJ Yeldon and Duke Johnson are both eligible in 2015 too, that's going to be quite a race to be the top rated back.

Of the three, I might prefer Johnson because he looks more explosive to me.

I like Gurley well enough, but I've had a tough time getting totally geeked about his pro potential. I know he's fluid and agile for a big back, but it seems like he's a big target without a great deal of explosiveness. That hasn't equated to huge success in the NFL lately.

That isn't a concrete assessment yet, but based on where he is right now I'm not as excited about him as I was about guys like Dez, Petersobn, and Blackmon at the same stage.

I like Gurley well enough, but I've had a tough time getting totally geeked about his pro potential. I know he's fluid and agile for a big back, but it seems like he's a big target without a great deal of explosiveness. That hasn't equated to huge success in the NFL lately.

That isn't a concrete assessment yet, but based on where he is right now I'm not as excited about him as I was about guys like Dez, Petersobn, and Blackmon at the same stage.
Lol, not explosive. The dude just ran past the Florida secondary with a bum ankle and out of shape.

Lol, not explosive. The dude just ran past the Florida secondary with a bum ankle and out of shape.
More like he caught the ball in wide open space and made one guy miss.

The other DB was closing the gap quickly.

More like he caught the ball in wide open space and made one guy miss.

The other DB was closing the gap quickly.
The other guy didn't close the gap quickly at all and that other guy just happens to be the fastest player on the Florida D. Again, with a bum ankle and out of shape.

Allen Robinson doing his best AJ Green impersonation:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9917022

I was this close to drafting this guy in a couple devy leagues this past offseason, but I didn't see enough explosiveness in his game. He has taken major strides this year. His YPC has risen from 13.2 to ~16.0. He reportedly added weight in the spring and he looks a bit more sudden and explosive this season. I think he's playing his way into the first round. I'll probably end up rating Watkins and Lee higher, but I definitely like Robinson > Evans right now and I think he could end up being the top WR from this draft. He just turned 20 a couple months ago, so he's super young for his draft standing as well.

EBF said:
Actually the guy very nearly catches him despite starting the play miles away. You can watch it again here. It's the second play on the highlight clip.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9919061
Seriously, you can't be this obtuse. Gurley made a move to avoid the defender at midfield and then had that defender pull on his jersey for a few yds while the DB got to run at full speed. Of course Gurley was slowed down. He accelerated enough to get to the end zone.... Again on a bad ankle and out of shape. If you can't see that this guy is explosive you're simply doing it wrong.

EBF said:
Actually the guy very nearly catches him despite starting the play miles away. You can watch it again here. It's the second play on the highlight clip.

Seriously, you can't be this obtuse. Gurley made a move to avoid the defender at midfield and then had that defender pull on his jersey for a few yds while the DB got to run at full speed. Of course Gurley was slowed down. He accelerated enough to get to the end zone.... Again on a bad ankle and out of shape. If you can't see that this guy is explosive you're simply doing it wrong.
I'm not going to debate the play. It's right there for anyone to see.

Explosive isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of Gurley. Chris Johnson is explosive. Jamaal Charles is explosive. Sammy Watkins is explosive.

Gurley looks more deliberate in everything he does. He might be big enough to get away with that, but certainly the burst isn't jaw-dropping.

EBF said:

I'm not going to debate the play. It's right there for anyone to see.

Explosive isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of Gurley. Chris Johnson is explosive. Jamaal Charles is explosive. Sammy Watkins is explosive.

Gurley looks more deliberate in everything he does. He might be big enough to get away with that, but certainly the burst isn't jaw-dropping.
Well, no kidding. He isn't as explosive as 2 of the fastest players in the history of the NFL and a borderline stud track guy.

Steelers4Life said:
jeter23 said:
jurb26 said:
If Gurley isn't the top rated back in 2015, something is seriously wrong in the world.
Based on what I've seen, he's everyone's favorite from that class, though it looks like a stacked class...heavy at RB finally.
Given that TJ Yeldon and Duke Johnson are both eligible in 2015 too, that's going to be quite a race to be the top rated back.

I like all 3 (and Davis and Gray and Sanders and Drake) but Duke seems to get nicked up every week and already has some concussion concerns.

Concept Coop said:
In a start 2, I'd have to say the 1.01, by a lot.
Easily
Definitely. Same in Superflex, which isn't much different.
A more difficult quesiton to answer: Where does he rank in standard (1QB) devy drafts?

In my only devy league, I have two devy picks (top 3, late), feel set at QB (Kaepernick/Bridgewater), and still feel that I at least need to entertain the idea of grabbing the kid. I hope I see value elsewhere at each pick, due to position, but if he's the Andrew Luck level prospect that some are suggesting - I don't think you can pass on that, assuming he's BPA.
That's a tough situation. It would feel wrong to pass on such a slam dunk guy at QB for lesser prospects at other positions, but I can just imagine rostering Kaep/Bridgewater/Winston and having the best young QB corps in the league...and it not helping me win at all, with the QB's being worth possibly less in trade than the top pick spent on them was worth at the time. Really tough choice to make there.

Steelers4Life said:
jeter23 said:
jurb26 said:

I like all 3 (and Davis and Gray and Sanders and Drake) but Duke seems to get nicked up every week and already has some concussion concerns.
Duke Johnson reportedly out for the year with an ankle injury:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9920980/miami-hurricanes-duke-johnson-cast-hurting-ankle

The Duke is shut down for the remainder of this season and that sucks, particularly for me being a Mia fan. It will not impact his draft stock though. He should recover fully and have the entire 2014 to prove his ability.

What's up with Jameis Winston constantly squinting like he just lost his contacts when looking to the sideline for the next play call? Is his eyesight that bad or what? Might want to look into Lasik.

I was this close to drafting this guy in a couple devy leagues this past offseason, but I didn't see enough explosiveness in his game. He has taken major strides this year. His YPC has risen from 13.2 to ~16.0. He reportedly added weight in the spring and he looks a bit more sudden and explosive this season. I think he's playing his way into the first round. I'll probably end up rating Watkins and Lee higher, but I definitely like Robinson > Evans right now and I think he could end up being the top WR from this draft. He just turned 20 a couple months ago, so he's super young for his draft standing as well.
I find it funny that you think I overvalue "leaping sideline catches", yet this is what you love about Robinson.

What's up with Jameis Winston constantly squinting like he just lost his contacts when looking to the sideline for the next play call? Is his eyesight that bad or what? Might want to look into Lasik.
They mentioned it several times. He wears contacts, but for some reason, does not wear them when he plays. Seems very odd to me.

I find it funny that you think I overvalue "leaping sideline catches", yet this is what you love about Robinson.
Linking to one highlight reel catch doesn't prove that "this is what I love about Robinson." It's a nice play. Nothing more.

Robinson is good before, during, and after the catch. That's why I like him. He could be a little stronger and a little more explosive, but his game doesn't have any huge glaring weaknesses and that's usually a good omen.

Not that much talk about the true freshmen so far this year. Seems like this group is failing to make the same overall impact as last year's class. The SEC has a few guys doing well in WR Laquon Treadwell (Ole Miss), WR Marquez North (Tennessee), RB Alex Collins (Arkansas), and TE OJ Howard (Alabama). I've said a bit about Oregon RB Thomas Tyner here and elsewhere. Explosive back. Not the most elusive in tight quarters, but very dangerous as a one-cut slasher and has shown very surprising plus skills as a receiver. One lesser known guy having a solid season is Eastern Michigan WR Corey Davis. Would not say that he's an awesome prospect, but he has five 100+ yard games on an absolute crap team and is likely to crack the 1000 yard barrier this season. Good production for a green player on a bad team.

Corey actual plays for Western Michigan. He is the younger brother of Titus Davis (Central Michigan), who is also talented himself. Titus is the most explosive WR in the MAC in my mind. Has some Chad Johnson in his game. Corey is a little bigger, but not as fast.

Not that much talk about the true freshmen so far this year. Seems like this group is failing to make the same overall impact as last year's class. The SEC has a few guys doing well in WR Laquon Treadwell (Ole Miss), WR Marquez North (Tennessee), RB Alex Collins (Arkansas), and TE OJ Howard (Alabama). I've said a bit about Oregon RB Thomas Tyner here and elsewhere. Explosive back. Not the most elusive in tight quarters, but very dangerous as a one-cut slasher and has shown very surprising plus skills as a receiver. One lesser known guy having a solid season is Eastern Michigan WR Corey Davis. Would not say that he's an awesome prospect, but he has five 100+ yard games on an absolute crap team and is likely to crack the 1000 yard barrier this season. Good production for a green player on a bad team.
I don't play FF, but I've been very impressed with Bama true freshman TE OJ Howard. Listed at 6'6" 237 and looks every bit of it. I think he's got potential to be an NFL stud in the future....obviously it's very early though.
This guy is a beast.
:hifive: fantastic TD today.

I don't play FF, but I've been very impressed with Bama true freshman TE OJ Howard. Listed at 6'6" 237 and looks every bit of it. I think he's got potential to be an NFL stud in the future....obviously it's very early though.
This guy is a beast.
:hifive: fantastic TD today.
Yeah, he's good.

Hunter Henry from Arkansas also having a very solid true freshman season at TE. Not as athletic as Howard. More of a traditional TE.

An emerging frosh at WR at Cal is Kenny Lawler Jr. He has 5 TDs in the past two weeks, three of them on highlight-reel catches (if Cal were on anyone's highlight reel at this point). He reminds me a lot of Marvin Jones, great body control and ability to adjust to the ball.

An emerging frosh at WR at Cal is Kenny Lawler Jr. He has 5 TDs in the past two weeks, three of them on highlight-reel catches (if Cal were on anyone's highlight reel at this point). He reminds me a lot of Marvin Jones, great body control and ability to adjust to the ball.
Wow, that's a damn fine catch right there. Doesn't look the fastest in those other highlights, but definitely someone to keep an eye on with that size and WR skills.

Another True Freshman WR without eye popping statistics but who already looks the part is Stacy Coley from Miami. This play alone is all I need to see to think he's gonna be a legit NFL prospect. Catches a screen pass with his hands, makes a couple nice sharp cuts, then runs so fast he makes the defenders look like they're running in quicksand.

Wow, that's a damn fine catch right there. Doesn't look the fastest in those other highlights, but definitely someone to keep an eye on with that size and WR skills.

Another True Freshman WR without eye popping statistics but who already looks the part is Stacy Coley from Miami. This play alone is all I need to see to think he's gonna be a legit NFL prospect. Catches a screen pass with his hands, makes a couple nice sharp cuts, then runs so fast he makes the defenders look like they're running in quicksand.
I've been quietly drooling over Coley, as a Mia fan. That play yesterday though looked like a Randy Moss type play. He's going to be special.

I pegged Lawler to break out this year, but it took him long enough. I'd like him to eventually put on some weight. Sub-200 won't do him much good in the NFL. That's the problem with some of these "younger" tall college WRs.

Does this kid remind anyone of Adrian Peterson? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVE0RvhZG_U
That footage looks like it's from 2008; presumably whoever it is, we have better footage against real competition by now.
Let's ignore the date. He was either a SO or JR in high school in the vid. This kid is currently a rJR at a major BCS team right now. But based on the footage, does he remind you of Adrian Peterson? If he was a 2014 HS recruit, would you label this kid the next Adrian Peterson? Does this kid look any different from Leonard Fournette? Or does Leonard Fournette look more like this kid than he does Adrian Peterson?

Users who are viewing this thread