What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U of Tennessee WR Justin Hunter (1 Viewer)

I was hoping he'd have a semi-quiet pre-season so I could get him very cheap in every draft. Now with a statline like tonight, he's going to start to be talked about and written about more.

I was hoping he'd have a semi-quiet pre-season so I could get him very cheap in every draft. Now with a statline like tonight, he's going to start to be talked about and written about more.
Just wait until after next week when he goes 1 for 10.

Players should have their own motivation. At least the great ones do. This is not a good sign for him becoming the superstar many believe IMO. This is not the first time he has been put in the corner. I think he can be a decent player, but he may not have "it".
If superstars all just motivated themselves and didn't need coaches pushing their buttons, I'm pretty sure Phil Jackson would have a lot fewer championship rings. And Bill Parcells would have a much shorter resume.
Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille Oneal did not, I repeat, NOT need motivating. Horrible example. They needed Phil for getting then to trust each other. They were going to be superstars with or without him.Oh and lmao at comparing Hunter to those guys and Wisenhunt to Phil. Pure comedy!

If you are a crap/fringe player, maybe motivation and punishment are things you need. True stars don't need it. The drive is inherent in their DNA.

Just watch and see. This will continue to be a recurring theme with Hunter. Bad practice habits, poor routes, and alligator arms over the middle.
Randy Moss disagrees.
. Huh? He was a star DAY ONE. 17 TDs YEAR ONE. Tell me one coach that got him motivated when he didn't want to do something.

"I play when I wanna play". Truer words were never spoken.
Maybe I misunderstood your "true stars don't need it" comment.

How much does this hurt Kendall Wright's value?
They're an ideal duo. An homeless version of D Thomas / welker. One to move the chains, one to make the big plays and open the field. If locker can perform and stay on the field, Nashville might beat out Indianapolis.

Players should have their own motivation. At least the great ones do. This is not a good sign for him becoming the superstar many believe IMO. This is not the first time he has been put in the corner. I think he can be a decent player, but he may not have "it".
If superstars all just motivated themselves and didn't need coaches pushing their buttons, I'm pretty sure Phil Jackson would have a lot fewer championship rings. And Bill Parcells would have a much shorter resume.
Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille Oneal did not, I repeat, NOT need motivating. Horrible example. They needed Phil for getting then to trust each other. They were going to be superstars with or without him.Oh and lmao at comparing Hunter to those guys and Wisenhunt to Phil. Pure comedy!

If you are a crap/fringe player, maybe motivation and punishment are things you need. True stars don't need it. The drive is inherent in their DNA.

Just watch and see. This will continue to be a recurring theme with Hunter. Bad practice habits, poor routes, and alligator arms over the middle.
The Bulls and Lakers had more than two players on their teams that won multiple championships, Jackson's coaching could have impacted on them as well. Jackson did have the benefit of some great players, but it is an open question if the team's he coached would have done the same without him. Not sure Shaq is the best example of a driven player, if he played with the intensity of Rodman he would have averaged 20-25 rebounds per game.

You are the only person making the straw man comparisons you are laughing at. Jordan and Bryant are two of the greatest in NBA history. Hunter could have something less than their level of intensity and urgency in his practice habits and play (similar to 99% of NBA and NFL players) and have upside over his current ADP in redraft and dynasty. Whisenhunt doesn't have to be identical to Vince Lombardi or John Wooden to make the point that different players don't have the exact same level of self-motivation, and can respond to coaching differently.

It may not be as black and white as there are only two categories, transcendently talented players that are always self-motivated and worthless players that need constant prodding, that is extremely simplistic, there are a continuum of possibilities (with most of them probably not occupying the extremes - players like Jordan are by definition rare). Hunter doesn't need to be as driven or play with the hair on fire intensity of Jerry Rice every practice snap to be productive.

Moss and Green were mentioned below. I can't speak to every context those names have been thrown around in the thread, but some were sceptical that Hunter could play at a high level being so skinny, and it was pointed out early on that he had a similar build to those two (therefore, his lack of David Boston-like physical stature isn't NECESSARILY a deal breaker). I haven't seen too many state Hunter's talent and game have a 100% correspondence with them, or that his career should be expected to unfold identically. Taking things too literally causes a lot of mischief.

If someone said an updated road map was useful for driving from Los Angeles to New York because it accurately showed some recent road changes, I wouldn't be LMAO and saying that was a horrible example because it isn't identical in a one-to-one-correspondence manner with the terrain it is mapping, and isn't more than 3,000 miles wide because it needed to be scaled to fold-up glove box size.

* I think Hunter has future WR1 physical ability and talent, but don't know if he will realize it. Fortunately, at his prices, you don't have to blow up your team to acquire him as if he was a lock to be a WR1. Needless to say, there is a lot of room for him to not be a WR1 (let alone a one of the greatest WRs in NFL history analogue to Michael Jordan :) ) and still have upside over his current redraft and dynasty ADP.
There is an art to not writing too much...
There is an art in not peppering the board with countless instances of self-quotes stating the equivalent of, RBs are awesome, YAY!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a salesperson and I have seen many people "talk too much" in the sales process. The best sales people don't "throw up" information on people. Some of the best sales training classes emphasize this...Not everyone is efficient with their words. Generally the higher the IQ - the more efficient people are with their words...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Bulls and Lakers had more than two players on their teams that won multiple championships, Jackson's coaching could have impacted on them as well. Jackson did have the benefit of some great players, but it is an open question if the team's he coached would have done the same without him. Not sure Shaq is the best example of a driven player, if he played with the intensity of Rodman he would have averaged 20-25 rebounds per game.

You are the only person making the straw man comparisons you are laughing at. Jordan and Bryant are two of the greatest in NBA history. Hunter could have something less than their level of intensity and urgency in his practice habits and play (similar to 99% of NBA and NFL players) and have upside over his current ADP in redraft and dynasty. Whisenhunt doesn't have to be identical to Vince Lombardi or John Wooden to make the point that different players don't have the exact same level of self-motivation, and can respond to coaching differently.

It may not be as black and white as there are only two categories, transcendently talented players that are always self-motivated and worthless players that need constant prodding, that is extremely simplistic, there are a continuum of possibilities (with most of them probably not occupying the extremes - players like Jordan are by definition rare). Hunter doesn't need to be as driven or play with the hair on fire intensity of Jerry Rice every practice snap to be productive.

Moss and Green were mentioned below. I can't speak to every context those names have been thrown around in the thread, but some were sceptical that Hunter could play at a high level being so skinny, and it was pointed out early on that he had a similar build to those two (therefore, his lack of David Boston-like physical stature isn't NECESSARILY a deal breaker). I haven't seen too many state Hunter's talent and game have a 100% correspondence with them, or that his career should be expected to unfold identically. Taking things too literally causes a lot of mischief.

If someone said an updated road map was useful for driving from Los Angeles to New York because it accurately showed some recent road changes, I wouldn't be LMAO and saying that was a horrible example because it isn't identical in a one-to-one-correspondence manner with the terrain it is mapping, and isn't more than 3,000 miles wide because it needed to be scaled to fold-up glove box size.

* I think Hunter has future WR1 physical ability and talent, but don't know if he will realize it. Fortunately, at his prices, you don't have to blow up your team to acquire him as if he was a lock to be a WR1. Needless to say, there is a lot of room for him to not be a WR1 (let alone a one of the greatest WRs in NFL history analogue to Michael Jordan :) ) and still have upside over his current redraft and dynasty ADP.
There is an art in not peppering the board with countless instances of self-quotes stating the equivalent of, RBs are awesome, YAY!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a salesperson and I have seen many people "talk too much" in the sales process. The best sales people don't "throw up" information on people. Some of the best sales training classes emphasize this...Not everyone is efficient with their words. The higher the IQ - the more efficient people are with their words...
interesting.

I'm a salesperson and I have seen many people "talk too much" in the sales process. The best sales people don't "throw up" information on people. Some of the best sales training classes emphasize this...Not everyone is efficient with their words. The higher the IQ - the more efficient people are with their words...
interesting.
Very.

I'm a salesperson and I have seen many people "talk too much" in the sales process. The best sales people don't "throw up" information on people. Some of the best sales training classes emphasize this...Not everyone is efficient with their words. Generally the higher the IQ - the more efficient people are with their words...
Some people prefer more detail than, RBs are awesome, YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Succinct and vapid aren't mutually exclusive.

We aren't in a sales class, and I'm not selling anything. If you view your role in the Sankey thread as an example of "sales", which at times almost has an air of desperation, that would explain a lot (pro tip - don't buy from a desperate hard sell artist, there could be a reason they are desperate hard sell artists :) ).

If any salesperson tried to sell me something I didn't want with a hard sell basically "throwing up" over and over, the product or service equivalent of, RBs are awesome, YAY!!!!!!!!!! RBS are awesome, YAY!!!!!!!!!! RBs are awesome, YAY!!!!!!!!!!, with frequent self-quotes reiterating, like I said, RBS are awesome, YAY!!!!!!!!!! I would never buy from them, and that doesn't sound like a good salesperson.

Posting the equivalent of RBs are awesome, YAY!!!!!!!!!! repeatedly, than quoting yourself with the same tediously simplistic sloganeering as a substitute for substantive analysis isn't "smart", its just counterproductively heavyhanded and obnoxious.

A good salesperson needs to understand the customer. Check how many likes your post got relative to mine, and come to your own conclusions if anybody is buying what you are selling. If you are selling a faulty product/service (refurbished 8 track players, bulk returned pet rocks damaged in shipment, etc.), sometimes, no amount of sweet talking is going to change the fact that you are at a disadvantage.

It isn't efficient to bludgeon people with the same message over and over and over, they start to tune it out. I wouldn't necessarily come to the same conclusion as you have given your chronically, habitually inefficient communication (would you call it an efficient way to propogate your sales pitch if multiple people complain about having to put you on ignore?), but that is up to you if you choose to level the same critique at yourself and fall by the same verdict.

* Sales involves communication, and communication is a two part process. The above post wasn't THAT long, so if you were unable to easily assimilate the meaning, that may say as much about the receiver of the message as the message itself (your taste and sensibilities, after all, have led you to believe that posting RBs are awesome, YAY!!!!!!!!!! over and over is highly informative and useful, and done with a sense of proportion and restraint :) ).

Who's your audience here?

You have to convey meaningful information.

I'm not a sales person but my job is to convince people to do things. This requires providing enough information that they can act but not so much that they feel overwhelmed. There's a balance between both of your styles.

Hunter rocks YAY!!!

Reading the bolded part just gave me a migraine.

I'm not a sales person but my job is to convince people to do things. This requires providing enough information that they can act but not so much that they feel overwhelmed. There's a balance between both of your styles.

Hunter rocks YAY!!!
Say what you want about Brew, he has a point in this case. When guys are writing encyclopedias on a football player it's a bit much. At some point, it's just loving the sound of your own voice and not much else.

If posts are TL/DR or not of interest, feel free to skip them, as well as to add something substantive about Hunter.

Hunter rocks YAY!!!
Say what you want about Brew, he has a point in this case. When guys are writing encyclopedias on a football player it's a bit much. At some point, it's just loving the sound of your own voice and not much else.
six paragraph encyclopedias are awesome, YAY!!!!!

<post snipped out of respect for thread followers>
Quite frankly, I find this response offensive. I know it's been discussed above, and I'm sorry for the thread hijack.

The world is rarely black and white. There are a near-infinite shades of nuanced, tangential grey, and those aren't always explained in few words, despite what Twitter and Facebook are doing to our neural wiring. (But I digress on this thread further than I intended.)

Bob puts original thought into his posts and contributes something new most of the time, unlike most people who regurgitate something they heard from someone else. You disagree with his position, fine. But argue the content instead of throwing out an ad-hominem attack.

<post snipped out of respect for thread followers>
Quite frankly, I find this response offensive. I know it's been discussed above, and I'm sorry for the thread hijack.

The world is rarely black and white. There are a near-infinite shades of nuanced, tangential grey, and those aren't always explained in few words, despite what Twitter and Facebook are doing to our neural wiring. (But I digress on this thread further than I intended.)

Bob puts original thought into his posts and contributes something new most of the time, unlike most people who regurgitate something they heard from someone else. You disagree with his position, fine. But argue the content instead of throwing out an ad-hominem attack.
yup....then theres the concept of constant jibber jabber that ends up being tuned out

Can we please get back on topic of Justin Hunter and take the p###ing contest to private or maybe a literary board? TIA

When I see an ultra long post - more often than not I just don't read it.

I find the ultra long-rambling posts offensive to the threads and everyone's time reading it.

Someone who uses the word ad-hominem probably would be on the other side of the fence...

I guess the world is full of different types of people - some of them are born court reporters or should be employed by Wiki-pedia...

Now back to one of the most Talented WR's in the NFL - Justin Hunter:

His value is soaring for sure. He and A. Brown were just traded for AJ Green in my PPR dynasty league. Before this preseason, I seriously doubt he would have netted AJG with that deal.

Titans' Justin Hunter shows he's not 'Just Another Guy'

If the Tennessee Titans' goal was to motivate Justin Hunter by plastering a "J.A.G" (Just Another Guy) label on the receiver's jersey this week, that message was received.

And received. And received, some more.

The second-year pass-catcher went HAM Friday night in a 31-24 losing effort to the New Orleans Saints, grabbing four passes for 111 yards (that's 27.75 yards a pop, folks) with two touchdown snags. Displaying his 6-foot-4, 200-pound frame with 4.44 speed, Hunter made some spectacular, highlight-reel plays.

Needless to say, our "Making the Leap" candidate proved he's not just another guy in the Titans' receiver corps. But that doesn't mean the coaches won't make sure he stays motivated.

"I don't think he has to worry about that (J.A.G jersey) any more, but I think we have to keep it in his locker so he'll remember," head coach Ken Whisenhunt said, per The Tennessean. "Justin did a nice job. We all understand what he can be, but we have to see that consistency. And it was nice to see that tonight."

Hunter has been a lightning rod for debate about whether he can be consistent in his play. He had blow-up games last season, then went dark for long stretches.

The second-year pro said he still "has a long ways to go" and expects receivers coach Shawn Jefferson -- the mastermind behind the J.A.G jersey -- to keep reminding him of the difficulty in the march up the hill of success.

"Even if I do something good, it doesn't matter. I'll still be a J.A.G to him," Hunter said. "I just need to keep maturing. I know everyone is going to stay on me. I just have to keep getting better, and I'm going to continue to go to work."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000378661/article/titans-justin-hunter-shows-hes-not-just-another-guy

It's a love/hate thing when a depth guy on your team that you've been holding for a while and hoping for it to pay out starts to get this kind of hype. On the plus side, I'm starting to receive some decent offers for him. The problem is finding the right time to sell. Do I hold him and hope he develops into a mini-AJ Green or do I sell him now while he is generating a lot of buzz.

A lot of players develop a bunch of buzz then amount to nothing. But some players develop buzz and amount to a lot. I have a hard time judging Hunter. He seems like he can be a playmaker but just really doesn't seem like a complete WR. The fact that it seems like he needs criticism to motivate him to play well is also not necessarily a good thing.

So what do you guys think? Is the hype and talk revolving around him now his high point or is this just a telling tale that he's about to become a lot more valuable soon?

It's a love/hate thing when a depth guy on your team that you've been holding for a while and hoping for it to pay out starts to get this kind of hype. On the plus side, I'm starting to receive some decent offers for him. The problem is finding the right time to sell. Do I hold him and hope he develops into a mini-AJ Green or do I sell him now while he is generating a lot of buzz.

A lot of players develop a bunch of buzz then amount to nothing. But some players develop buzz and amount to a lot. I have a hard time judging Hunter. He seems like he can be a playmaker but just really doesn't seem like a complete WR. The fact that it seems like he needs criticism to motivate him to play well is also not necessarily a good thing.

So what do you guys think? Is the hype and talk revolving around him now his high point or is this just a telling tale that he's about to become a lot more valuable soon?
I might wait a little. We saw last year that he capable of posting 180 yards and 2 TDs. I would hope that comes early in the year and move on him then...if you are bent on selling him.

My biggest question is what does Hunter do the Kendall Wrights value?
I own both in my redraft league and I admit I'm pretty nervous about it. I am worried that locker and the titans offense may not be able to support both. I'm willing to take a chance on it and then hopefully flip one.

I own both in my redraft league and I admit I'm pretty nervous about it. I am worried that locker and the titans offense may not be able to support both. I'm willing to take a chance on it and then hopefully flip one.
I see Justin Hunter as a Vincent Jackson type player. It won't take a huge number of targets to produce big numbers. He will likely be rather boom/bust like Vincent as well. He seems like the kind of player that will catch 3 for 150 and 2 TDs one week and 2 for 20 the next week where Wright is a lot more steady- think a poor man's Derrick Mason. He will get a high volume of work and post 5 for 65 week after week without ever getting many TDs. Ofcourse, this is all predicated on Locker being healthy and any good.

I see Justin Hunter as a Vincent Jackson type player. It won't take a huge number of targets to produce big numbers. He will likely be rather boom/bust like Vincent as well. He seems like the kind of player that will catch 3 for 150 and 2 TDs one week and 2 for 20 the next week where Wright is a lot more steady- think a poor man's Derrick Mason. He will get a high volume of work and post 5 for 65 week after week without ever getting many TDs. Ofcourse, this is all predicated on Locker being healthy and any good.
I don't think anything. They are total opposite style players. Hunter is a big play/RZ guy and Wright is a possession WR. They are a good tandem.
Wright relies on getting volume targets and Locker isn't expected to throw that much. He's a WR3 without a lot of upside.

Fade pass to Justin Hunter looking nearly unstoppable:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/titansinsider/2014/08/20/locker-hunter-titans-fade/14345443/

Throughout training camp and in the preseason, Titans wide receiver Justin Hunter has made the fade pattern look all too easy.

When the Titans get anywhere near the goal line, quarterback Jake Locker simply lofts a soft spiral toward the corner of the end zone. That's when the 6-foot-4, 203-pound Hunter turns into a jack-in-the-box, leaping over defenders to haul in a touchdown pass just as he did in last Friday's loss to the New Orleans Saints.

It's been all but unstoppable so far.

"He's so big and so long, and he has the ability to jump, and he has such a big catch radius," Locker said. "You're able to put the ball a lot of places to give him a chance. That puts a lot of pressure on the defense at that point."

Hunter has been a hopper for quite some time.

He won the Virginia state prep title with a high jump of 7 feet, 3 inches. He turned in a 39½-inch vertical jump at the NFL combine and bettered that by one inch at the University of Tennessee's pro day.

Hunter gave fans a taste of his leaping ability as a rookie last season, when he beat the San Diego Chargers with a 34-yard touchdown reception in the closing seconds.

But the fade pattern looks like it may well produce far more dividends this season.

"We did it some last year, but this year it's come along real well," Hunter said. "We've just been real consistent on that, and that's the big thing, to be consistent. We do it in practice all the time, and we've completed most of the fades in the red zone through OTAs and minicamps and training camp."

Hunter is understandably excited every time the play is called in the red zone.

"They want to use my big frame, so they throw it to me there," Hunter said. "The cornerback has to turn his back at some point to try to defend me. That's when I can use my leaping ability to go over the top of him before he gets a chance to figure it out."

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter - WR - Titans

The Nashville Tennessean's John Glennon says he's "now more inclined to jump on the hype wagon" after watching Justin Hunter's training camp.

Glennon admits he entered camp skeptical of Hunter, but the sophomore wideout has "progressed faster than imagined," while combining "freakish" skills with a more confident approach. "Hunter appears ready to become a consistent big-play threat," Glennon concludes. Still regularly available in the tenth round of fantasy drafts, Hunter remains an ideal, high-ceiling WR4.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Aug 22 - 2:29 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2014/08/21/tennessee-titans-preseason-surprises/14410835/

If posts are TL/DR or not of interest, feel free to skip them, as well as to add something substantive about Hunter.
I am interested in reading your opinion and analysis. Brevity would be helpful.
I appreciate that, and would be interested in your take, as well. If you have a specific question about Hunter (or another player), now or in the future, I'll do my best to answer it. Concisely.

I am very interested in seeing if Hunter can out together 2 good games in a row. The talent is great, but consistency has me worried.

Hunter has the ability to be a Julio/Dez/Calvin type of wr. I don't think it will happen this year, but I could see 1000/10.

Hunter has the ability to be a Julio/Dez/Calvin type of wr. I don't think it will happen this year, but I could see 1000/10.
1000 and 10 isn't far from Dez/Julio. I think we all would love to see our 3rd WR post that. I hope you are right.

1000 and 10 isn't far from Dez/Julio. I think we all would love to see our 3rd WR post that. I hope you are right.
My lofty projections are 60/1020/8 as I have him pegged at 17YPR. Basically, I think his upside is mid-low end WR2 in PPR, and a possible WR1 in standard. Huge disparity between the two formats.

Just an FYI, Titans website depth chart lists a two TE set.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/depth-chart.html

The chart seems off in many ways.

Lewan has been backing up Oher(and playing better than him) for months with just some time at LT.

Battle is not a TE.

McCluster can't be listed twice but will play WR.

The articles of people jumping on Hunter not being listed as starting....they might give you a tiny window to trade for him this week and bring down his value before he gets significant time in week one.

Users who are viewing this thread