What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U of Tennessee WR Justin Hunter (1 Viewer)

If Locker/Hunter couldn't breakout against DAL then all hope is lost.
Eh, it's never that simple. That's like saying, "If Philip Rivers can light up the Seahawks defense, then why can't a bunch of other quarterbacks?" Team performances vary from week to week, and things change all of the time in the NFL.

If Locker/Hunter couldn't breakout against DAL then all hope is lost. I just don't see him being this year's Alshon. Ain't happenin'.
Jeffrey last year had 13 targets, 6 catches, 53 yards, and 0 TDs in the first two weeks.

Hunter has 14 targets, 5 catches, 89 yards and 0 TDs in the first two weeks.

That doesn't mean Hunter will be "this year's" Alshon, but it's only been 2 weeks.

It would be helpful if Locker became this years Cutler.
I think DLR has hit the nail on the head. Unless Locker becomes a more consistent passer, odds are not good that anyone in TN will match Alshon's 2013 performance.

Per PFF, Hunter has 14 targets compared to 12 each for Wright and Washington. He has just 5 catches, a 36% catch rate, but only 2 drops. His depth per target is 17.1 yards, as compared to 10.8 yards for Washington and a whoppingly-bad 4.1 yards for Wright.

In short, based on those numbers, Hunter gets target downfield by a quarterback that we know to be very inaccurate.
Only 2 drops? That's 14% drop rate.
Well, I just meant to point out that of the 9 targets he's had, "only" 2 of them were because of drops, meaning the other 7 were errant throws/deflections/whatever. I didn't mean to say that 2/14 drops isn't a lot. It is, but that's not a sample size I'd draw any conclusions from.

Thanks for the reply Bri

For me, as far as Hunter is concerned, this has the feel of a guy who is going to have a season of 3 for 63, 2 for 26, 5 for 70, then he'll hit a big one 7 for 120 and 2 TD's and he'll be the waiver wire grab and everyone will be talking about how he arrived, then he'll be 4 for 45, 3 for 57, 4 for 60 and a TD etc... I don't really know Tennessee well so I'm just basing this on my gut having seen these type of things in fantasy football before. I hate that kind of player in fantasy because you have to have a crystal ball to predict when those 2 or 3 big games will be. In short bench redraft leagues I can't hold those kind of players or I will not win my league. The guy killed me this week against Dallas which was supposed to be a dream matchup. I have to figure out if Hunter is going to be one of those guys this season that you can't predict or if as the season goes along he will develop into something consistent that I can feel comfortable starting when needed.
I think he'll do exactly like you said and I don't think you'll be comfy til 2014 or late 2013.

There just aren't many WRs that are good for 100 every week.

Locker gets too gunshy, he could totally have a 3 for 40 week often and with Locker also focusing on just one guy he could go off another week. If you watch Locker and he hits 6-7 different players one week, it looks nothing like Tom Brady methodically using what the D gives him. It looks like the one guy he watched for a lifetime couldn't get open, oh I'll throw here. He's the worst since Aaron Brooks at this.

In preseason, every year, he spreads it around and looks improved and more mature. Last year, he did this in the game he got hurt in and everyone said he looks so much better.

If Locker/Hunter couldn't breakout against DAL then all hope is lost. I just don't see him being this year's Alshon. Ain't happenin'.
Jeffrey last year had 13 targets, 6 catches, 53 yards, and 0 TDs in the first two weeks.Hunter has 14 targets, 5 catches, 89 yards and 0 TDs in the first two weeks.

That doesn't mean Hunter will be "this year's" Alshon, but it's only been 2 weeks.
It means Hunter will be even better.

Whisenhunt said he'd like to see more from second-year pro Justin Hunter, per The Tennessean. The coaching staff has challenged Hunter several times this year -- most notably placing "JAG" (Just Another Guy) on his jersey.
If the coaching staff has to put the proverbial dunce cap on a player to get him to try, I'm a little worried about Hunter taking the next step.
Maybe he is J.A.G. after all.

Whisenhunt needles him every month or so. It's fine, seems like good coaching after his rookie year. I expect another in october.

It would be helpful if Locker became this years Cutler.
I think DLR has hit the nail on the head. Unless Locker becomes a more consistent passer, odds are not good that anyone in TN will match Alshon's 2013 performance.
This is where I'm at as well, for both Hunter and Wright. In redraft you're basically stuck waiting for Locker to magically get "it", or for him to find the bench. In the meantime, the situation is a recipe for weak and inconsistent starts for both WRs.

In dynasty, it seems like a great time to try and buy both low. These guys can play, and both have upside well beyond what they've shown.

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter caught three passes for 37 yards in the Titans' Week 3 loss to the Bengals.

Hunter was targeted seven times on the afternoon. He and Jake Locker continue to struggle to gain a connection. Locker threw behind Hunter on a third-down play, while Hunter later gave up on a deep ball with the Titans trailing 33-0. We're still waiting on the blow up to come from Hunter. He'll have a favorable matchup in Week 4 against the Colts, but he can't be trusted as anything more than a WR4. There's still loads of "boom" potential here.

Sep 21 - 6:00 PM

I just cut Justin Hunter in re-draft for Jordan Matthews. It may be chasing points, but I don't think Hunter ever amounts to anything until Locker rides the pine and the Titans get a true QB1.

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter caught three passes for 37 yards in the Titans' Week 3 loss to the Bengals.

Hunter was targeted seven times on the afternoon. He and Jake Locker continue to struggle to gain a connection. Locker threw behind Hunter on a third-down play, while Hunter later gave up on a deep ball with the Titans trailing 33-0. We're still waiting on the blow up to come from Hunter. He'll have a favorable matchup in Week 4 against the Colts, but he can't be trusted as anything more than a WR4. There's still loads of "boom" potential here.

Sep 21 - 6:00 PM
He didn't give up on a deep ball. He had a db touching/annoying him and that consumed a bit of his attention to mis-time his jump. Geesh he ran 50 yards down field he surely didn't give up

Locker is horrible. Hunter has made some short yardage plays each week that surprise me (and the D of course) so he's better than I thought. He has an awesome move to sell the deep route then cut across the field. Very slick n convincing.

Wright got open very deep three times and all Locker had to do was throw it so he could run under it. He didn't til about the end of the game. It was their only score. Wright's quickness and penchant for short routes has proven to make him a nightmare deep...hit him!

This is exactly what was supposed to happen with Wright's game opening up and Hunter running all routes not just deep and...he can't make the darn pass.

I tell ya Dalton was about as accurate as I've ever seen. Maybe he had two errant throws all day, everything was "right there." It made Jake look like even more garbage.

SOooooo many times Hunter or Wright are a good couple steps past their defender- "my grandma" could do well then, but not Jake.

IDK what to tell the Hunter FF owners.

The ability is so there, the NFL CBs are not keeping up with him well and he never looks tired even after running deep two plays in a row. His attitude seems perfect with the Titans making sure it stays that way. This is everything you could want but we've taken for granted that an NFL QB can actually throw the ball to him.

If the Titans make a change at QB ya gotta jump back on this bandwagon. I can totally see getting off it now. It's probably one of those very frustrating holds though

This "no fear" is why I like Mettenberger and think you'll be on this bandwagon if he plays

http://www.titansonline.com/media-center/videos/Justin-Hunters-34-yard-Finger-Tip-Catch/28fba25b-0d60-475f-a637-1d9b4a580c30

There's plenty more from preseason. He fires "ill-advised" passes like Favre and so many others where we're probably gonna be displeased with the INTs but for FF and Hunter/Wright....bring it on
Do you believe that Mettenberger will be the guy if Locker is replaced, and not Whitehurst?

This "no fear" is why I like Mettenberger and think you'll be on this bandwagon if he plays

http://www.titansonline.com/media-center/videos/Justin-Hunters-34-yard-Finger-Tip-Catch/28fba25b-0d60-475f-a637-1d9b4a580c30

There's plenty more from preseason. He fires "ill-advised" passes like Favre and so many others where we're probably gonna be displeased with the INTs but for FF and Hunter/Wright....bring it on
Do you believe that Mettenberger will be the guy if Locker is replaced, and not Whitehurst?
I think it's close. There are articles out there where writers wrote he didn't pass Whitehurst to get the #2 spot; see it was expected after some preseason games but Whitehurst is Whisenhunt's boy. They are like 2a 2b.

Personally I don't see any upside to Whitehurst and I do with Mettenberger. That's why I think, in time, he'll get the nod.

tandl71 said:
Jesus help me. It took 5 minutes to swipe through the thoughtless embedded quotes in this f"$%ing thread.

Use your heads you #######s.
I understand this place is a great place to get info along with helping get an idea of who to start, but if you're just going to complain, please don't post anything at all and clog threads up. I would rather go through a bunch of quotes, because maybe I missed something that I wanted to read and found helpful, than for you to post this dumb #### and clutter the thread with nothing useful. If you've got an issue, just leave. Plain and simple.

Jake Locker suffered an injury to his right (throwing) wrist in Week 3, and the Titans are unsure of his status for Week 4 against the Colts.
Locker's wrist apparently got bent awkwardly in Sunday's loss to the Bengals. Per coach Ken Whisenhunt, Locker could barely grip a football after the game. The Titans could conceivably use the injury as an excuse get another QB under center. Charlie Whitehurst and rookie Zach Mettenberger are next on the depth chart

Jake Locker suffered an injury to his right (throwing) wrist in Week 3, and the Titans are unsure of his status for Week 4 against the Colts.Locker's wrist apparently got bent awkwardly in Sunday's loss to the Bengals. Per coach Ken Whisenhunt, Locker could barely grip a football after the game. The Titans could conceivably use the injury as an excuse get another QB under center. Charlie Whitehurst and rookie Zach Mettenberger are next on the depth chart
Hunter is probably worth holding now for a bit longer just to see

How is this hype train in dynasty? I feel like getting off it myself...
I am not in a full dynasty, it is 10 Team 10 Player keeper and I am looking to drop him for Jordan Matthews who was dropped last week. If that fails I might do it for Allen Robinson. With Locker hurt now, I am thinking of changing my mind.............

I'm wondering in redraft if he is worth holding onto over guys like davante Adams and Allen Robinson. Both of these guys probably have more upside in their respective offenses playing with better qbs.

What do you guys think? Time to bail for an upside wr?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped him for Jordan Matthews this week. Based on my season so far, Hunter is on the verge of a huge week.

I am surprised people are giving up on him after three games. I am trying to buy low right now.
He has exactly one game where he's caught half his targets (Oakland last year).

Outside of that game he has 20/371/3 in his career on 57 targets.

No question the talent is there, but there's a question in my mind whether he ever becomes a consistent receiver.

Speaking of receivers, what is going on with Justin Hunter?

- It's not quite as bad, but he's showing me signs of Kenny Brittness. I'm not going to condemn him for not catching everything ridiculous thrown his way, but the drops that he should have are adding up. Not to mention the complete hesitation when Locker threw up a deep ball for him in the 4th quarter. He had leverage on the defender and the ball was right where it needed to be, he just stopped right before the ball got there. I'm hoping he can get his head straight.

Speaking of receivers, what is going on with Justin Hunter?

- It's not quite as bad, but he's showing me signs of Kenny Brittness. I'm not going to condemn him for not catching everything ridiculous thrown his way, but the drops that he should have are adding up. Not to mention the complete hesitation when Locker threw up a deep ball for him in the 4th quarter. He had leverage on the defender and the ball was right where it needed to be, he just stopped right before the ball got there. I'm hoping he can get his head straight.
Someone else said as such above. I didn't see it that way. The CB was being annoying with these little touches to his back over n over. (Haven't seen video posted on the web) It looked to me like he was preoccupied with that and leaped way too early.

He doesn't remind me of Britt at all. He's open often with a clear step on em' so he's working which Britt didn't always do.

I saw the same garbage with Vince Young that frustrates me and I don't know who to blame. The ball sails wide, sails over his head, is in the dirt, and then ooh right to him should have caught that one. It's messed up and that (Young reference) is similar to Britt, but every WR seems to be surprised by an accurate throw and it's all just so off n so wrong it's hard to judge.

I see a whole lot of Wright and Hunter getting open so I'm hopeful that they rack up some stats soon.

Walker had a nice box-out hoops move he used twice last week. Wright seems to have almost always scooted across the field. Other than the jump passes to Hunter, we don't really have much to go on as far as their ability to go after it and make a tough catch. I'd like to see it.

I would be totally fine with 300 yards, 4 INTs and a loss. Just breathe some life into this and prove the O can move the ball. Give Whisenhunt n Co game tape of things that work so they can build on that....really could be a big deal to just have them move the ball for a change.

Hes got nothing at qb....pretty obvious.

That being said, I dealt him and a 1 for garcon and a 2. Tryingmto contend, and hunter aint gonna arrive until 2014, 2015.

With all the injuries already it feels like it's mid season already but it's only week 3. I'm still holding in redraft, I'll give the kid until week 6.

I really don't like Locker but Hunter is a hold in redraft. The Titans schedule looks relatively easy from here on out with several games against some really bad defenses.

Mailbag: On poor starts for Justin Hunter, Andy Levitre

Excerpt:

@EthanMorrow_

@PaulKuharskyNFL Has Justin Hunter's lackluster start to the season been more a product of poor play from Locker or his own shortcomings?

Paul Kuharsky: Justin Hunter's issues are mostly on Justin Hunter, in my opinion. We've seen him fail to corral catchable passes. We've seen a catchable deep ball slip through his fingers. We've seen him fail to go up and win just the kind of pass he's tailor-made to win. Jake Locker could have made better throws to him in some instances. But Hunter's been targeted a bunch (21 times, per ESPN Stats and Info) and has not maximized his chances by any means (just eight receptions).

Mailbag: On poor starts for Justin Hunter, Andy Levitre

Excerpt:

@EthanMorrow_

@PaulKuharskyNFL Has Justin Hunter's lackluster start to the season been more a product of poor play from Locker or his own shortcomings?

Paul Kuharsky: Justin Hunter's issues are mostly on Justin Hunter, in my opinion. We've seen him fail to corral catchable passes. We've seen a catchable deep ball slip through his fingers. We've seen him fail to go up and win just the kind of pass he's tailor-made to win. Jake Locker could have made better throws to him in some instances. But Hunter's been targeted a bunch (21 times, per ESPN Stats and Info) and has not maximized his chances by any means (just eight receptions).
S.O.F.T. It's difficult to correct this IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread