What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U of Tennessee WR Justin Hunter (1 Viewer)

Traded him in my Dynasy this off-season, I don't think he'll be consistent especially with Jake Locker at the helm. He's a hell of a pro and probably can string together a good year like Braylon Edwards but there are major character concerns here.

He's definitely a fringe WR3 going into this season though. I wouldn't want to count on him though.
What are his character concerns?

Traded him in my Dynasy this off-season, I don't think he'll be consistent especially with Jake Locker at the helm. He's a hell of a pro and probably can string together a good year like Braylon Edwards but there are major character concerns here.

He's definitely a fringe WR3 going into this season though. I wouldn't want to count on him though.
http://www.draftsharks.com/sharkbites/31643/hunter-a-healthy-scratch

EDIT: Ok, so there's a little bias as to calling it a "major" character concern. I happened to start this guy this week and it cost me my ticket to the Championship in my Dynasty...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think hype and talent are the same thing. Roy was a tall guy with speed, but that doesn't mean he was a great talent.

And Hill... :X
Not comparing them as talents, in a one-to-one, exact correspondence manner, obviously, but physically and stylistically, I think Moss and A.J. Green when I see Hunter. Interestingly, Williams was I think a state long jump champ in Texas (Hunter may have been in his state). I thought Williams had talent in addition to his athleticism earlier in his career, just something seemed be missing later, maybe it was mental, or had to do with his drive. Hill put up massive numbers at the combine, but is stiff, not as fluid or with near the body control of Hunter. While Hunter's hands have been questioned here, Hill has cinder blocks for mitts. :) Hunter may be missing things, but imo he has the elite body control that some of the top WRs have. It's a good attribute to have for a WR with Hunter's length, speed and hops. He can finish the deal if the QB puts it in the right place.

http://www.draftsharks.com/sharkbites/31643/hunter-a-healthy-scratch

EDIT: Ok, so there's a little bias as to calling it a "major" character concern. I happened to start this guy this week and it cost me my ticket to the Championship in my Dynasty...
Not quite Blackmon/Gordon turf.

@PaulKuharskyNFL

.@gregcosell on @Midday180: Justin Hunter's size/speed/attributes create potential for him to be a "No. 1 WR," make contested plays. #Titans

I don't think hype and talent are the same thing. Roy was a tall guy with speed, but that doesn't mean he was a great talent.
This Roy Williams critique reeks of monday morning quarterbacking. Yes, in hindsight it is easy to say Williams wasn't a great talent, but when he came into the league he was considered a Top 5 rookie pick by virtually everybody.

This Roy Williams critique reeks of monday morning quarterbacking. Yes, in hindsight it is easy to say Williams wasn't a great talent, but when he came into the league he was considered a Top 5 rookie pick by virtually everybody.
Yes, I'm guilty of loving the Roy Williams hype. Most everyone indeed was.

Roy could have been a great receiver...if he wanted to be. Problem is once he got paid in Dallas he felt he no longer had to try.

And after his first season, Roy was considered a top 10 dynasty WR. One could actually argue that Hunter is closer to Stephen Hill than Roy from a rookie year standoint. Great measureables, great hype, virtually no rookie year production, horrible QBs, knee issues..

Roy could have been a great receiver...if he wanted to be. Problem is once he got paid in Dallas he felt he no longer had to try.
That was Roy's problem all along. He flashed a ton of talent in Detroit, making some incredible catches, and having a couple productive seasons. His problem was that he went through stretches where he seemed disinterested. He would make a spectacular catch, then follow it with an easy drop, followed by a lazy route, and then another amazing play. He was such an enigma. I was ecstatic when Jerrah dumped all those picks on the Lion's for him. By then, I think most of the Lion's fan base had seen enough of Roy.

As far as Hunter, I'm really encouraged. The fact that he put the weight on might hint of him recognizing he needs to do more, and he is going to be playing a position that is historically very productive in this offense. He's a lottery ticket, for sure, but that upside is tantalizing. Most of what I have read this off-season has been really positive.

And after his first season, Roy was considered a top 10 dynasty WR. One could actually argue that Hunter is closer to Stephen Hill than Roy from a rookie year standoint. Great measureables, great hype, virtually no rookie year production, horrible QBs, knee issues..
Disagree completely with this... While both hill and hunter had bad qb situations they are completely different when it comes to how they attack the ball with a defender near them... Wish I had the link but it should be easy to find a replay of watching hill run "open" deep down the middle and when the defender got close hill did nothing except "allow" the ball to try and fall into his lap instead of attacking or high pointing the ball with a defender near him... This has been a struggle throughout his young career this far

Hunter seems to fit the Roy Williams comp better IMO because they both seem to struggle at times when the ball hits them square in the chest or the so called easy ones but they both have shown a penchant for the "acrobatic" flair type of catch... Haven't really seen much of that with Hill to this pt

Disagree completely with this... While both hill and hunter had bad qb situations they are completely different when it comes to how they attack the ball with a defender near them... Wish I had the link but it should be easy to find a replay of watching hill run "open" deep down the middle and when the defender got close hill did nothing except "allow" the ball to try and fall into his lap instead of attacking or high pointing the ball with a defender near him... This has been a struggle throughout his young career this farHunter seems to fit the Roy Williams comp better IMO because they both seem to struggle at times when the ball hits them square in the chest or the so called easy ones but they both have shown a penchant for the "acrobatic" flair type of catch... Haven't really seen much of that with Hill to this pt
Oh I agree. I was referring to actual production on the field, not necessarily skill set.

Disagree completely with this... While both hill and hunter had bad qb situations they are completely different when it comes to how they attack the ball with a defender near them... Wish I had the link but it should be easy to find a replay of watching hill run "open" deep down the middle and when the defender got close hill did nothing except "allow" the ball to try and fall into his lap instead of attacking or high pointing the ball with a defender near him... This has been a struggle throughout his young career this farHunter seems to fit the Roy Williams comp better IMO because they both seem to struggle at times when the ball hits them square in the chest or the so called easy ones but they both have shown a penchant for the "acrobatic" flair type of catch... Haven't really seen much of that with Hill to this pt
Oh I agree. I was referring to actual production on the field, not necessarily skill set.
Well then ok I will agree that their production was similar

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter - WR - Titans

Titans OC Jason Michael believes second-year WR Justin Hunter is someone "weve got to keep pushing him to make those next steps."

Hunter, 23, was mostly quiet as a rookie, but did post late-season stat lines of 6-109-1 (Week 12) and 4-114-1 (Week 14). "He's shown flashes of making plays," said Michael of Hunter. "Hes a big, long receiver thats still growing into the position. As coaches, weve got to keep pushing him to make those next steps. The skys the limit there." Hunter is a high-ceiling WR4/5 re-draft pick.

Source: titansonline.com

Jun 25 - 7:14 PM

Rotoworld:

Titans OC Jason Michael believes second-year WR Justin Hunter is someone "weve got to keep pushing him to make those next steps."

Hunter, 23, was mostly quiet as a rookie, but did post late-season stat lines of 6-109-1 (Week 12) and 4-114-1 (Week 14). "He's shown flashes of making plays," said Michael of Hunter. "Hes a big, long receiver thats still growing into the position. As coaches, weve got to keep pushing him to make those next steps. The skys the limit there." Hunter is a high-ceiling WR4/5 re-draft pick.

Source: titansonline.com

Jun 25 - 7:14 PM
I don't like that they have to "keep pushing him." He should be pushing them. That said, he can't help but make a big leap from last year.

I sure hope he just storms onto the scene this year. He's got an opportunity player against Kansas City and then Dallas.

Well then ok I will agree that their production was similar
Compared to roy, he barely played. Hunter was in here n there for about half the season.

Hype in april and may was probably similar, but (earlier in this thread)he did not have a good camp and Munchak didn't hand him anything.

I don't recall all the details with Roy but each of the Lions WRs seemed to be given the keys from day one. I'm not sure if it was deserving with them. Already, I think Munchak and Jefferson made the right call with Hunter, because he showed up in great shape and put on a bunch of muscle weight. This year Jefferson is praising him and ....I really like what I'm reading.

It's quite different than Lions WRs because he was brought along slowly in year one.

It seemed like Coradelle and Hopkins also got way more time than him last year. I didn't much care for any of their production except for a game here n there. Still, this summer the articles about maturation and development seem to be there for all of them. Unlike those two, Hunter had a bad example in Britt. I'm sure we can all imagine Munchak and co had to make sure Hunter didn't become Britt II in some regard. I like that Munchak gave him some tough love and now a good offensive mind takes over. It might be perfect for his development

Justin Hunter WR | TEN

Justin Hunter compared to Randy Moss

by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

(6 hrs ago) Titans receiver Michael Preston said teammate Justin Hunter has the potential to develop like Randy Moss.

"I know how great a player Randy Moss was, and in my mind, there's no reason Justin can't be the next greatest player," Preston told the Tennessean. "I just want to be there to support him. I know he's going to grow, make a great leap this year, and impress the city and fans with his talent."

Preston said Hunter's leaping ability makes him special.

"The one thing that stands out to me is the way he attacks the ball – and his leaping ability," Preston said. "Of course, he has to make the same type adjustments I had to make with height, staying low and being physical at the line. But the thing that stands out is the way he attacks the ball and how he's able to make that big play at any moment."

Hunter averaged 19.7 yards on his 18 catches last year.

Rotoworld:

The Nashville Tennessean reports Justin Hunter "continues to make highlight-reel catches" at training camp.

On Thursday, Hunter skied over the top of CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson to make a grab before reeling in a pass between two defensive backs in a red-zone drill. The Titans have been talking up Hunter as a breakout candidate all offseason. At 6'4/203, he has the potential to, at the very least, dominate in the red zone as a sophomore. If he can wrestle the No. 2 role away from Nate Washington, Hunter could pop off in a big way. His ADP currently sits at the top of the 12th round.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Aug 8 - 10:04 AM

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter is setting a goal of 60 receptions for his second NFL season.

He had 18 grabs as a rookie, but averaged 19.7 yards per catch and parlayed four of them into touchdowns. "If I could catch 60 balls, that would be great," said Hunter, a breakout candidate who turned 23 in May. "It would really help out the team." Hunter added that he's "working on those underneath routes and being a more complete receiver this year." Mike Clay of Pro Football Focus and Rotoworld has deemed Hunter "this year's Alshon Jeffery."

Source: TitanInsider

Aug 8 - 1:56 PM

Rotoworld:

The Nashville Tennessean reports Justin Hunter "continues to make highlight-reel catches" at training camp.

On Thursday, Hunter skied over the top of CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson to make a grab before reeling in a pass between two defensive backs in a red-zone drill. The Titans have been talking up Hunter as a breakout candidate all offseason. At 6'4/203, he has the potential to, at the very least, dominate in the red zone as a sophomore. If he can wrestle the No. 2 role away from Nate Washington, Hunter could pop off in a big way. His ADP currently sits at the top of the 12th round.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Aug 8 - 10:04 AM
You have to take camp stories and practice anecdotes with a big grain of salt. However, this is definitely better news than last preseason when we heard stories about his position coach chewing him out and telling him he needed to get tougher and work harder.

His adp certainly reflects the qb and o situation. Great long shot with his talent. No way Locker is successful without Hunter blowing up.

Justin Hunter’s last name removed from jersey after route running snafu

Posted by Mike Wilkening on August 12, 2014, 12:08 AM EDT

In Saturday’s exhibition opener vs. Green Bay, Titans wide receiver Justin Hunter reportedly made a passing game gaffe, failing to properly convert a route.

As a former second-round pick for whom Tennessee has high expectations, Hunter won’t have his job status imperiled by an exhibition mistake.

But the second-year pro paid a price nonetheless.

According to Jim Wyatt of the Nashville Tennessean, Hunter’s last name was missing from his jersey on Monday, replaced an abbreviation — “J A G,” or “Just Another Guy,” as Hunter indicated.

Titans wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson — who has publicly praised and criticized Hunter early in his pro career — helped get the name plate changed, according to the Tennessean.

“The receivers have been talking about that for a minute, since last year, just playing around. But then coach [Ken Whisenhunt] said something about it in a meeting … and said, ‘Justin, you can be a great player, but after that play, you look like ‘Just Another Guy,'” Hunter said Monday, according to the Tennessean.

The silver lining in this story? The Titans like Hunter enough to give him a hard time. At 23, he is young enough still for the Titans to believe the best is yet to come. But he’s not quite yet there yet.

After all, they messed with his jersey.

Players should have their own motivation. At least the great ones do. This is not a good sign for him becoming the superstar many believe IMO. This is not the first time he has been put in the corner. I think he can be a decent player, but he may not have "it".

Hard to get excited about the potential #2 WR in this offense
Hard not to get excited about all the talent he has!
No it's not. It's like a muscle car with bicycle tires. Doesn't matter how much potential is there if there's no way to utilize it.

Locker is not an appealing option at QB, but even if he was, what are the odds that he plays 16 games? I'm sorry, but Charlie Whitehurst isn't going to help your cause, either.

Players should have their own motivation. At least the great ones do. This is not a good sign for him becoming the superstar many believe IMO. This is not the first time he has been put in the corner. I think he can be a decent player, but he may not have "it".
If superstars all just motivated themselves and didn't need coaches pushing their buttons, I'm pretty sure Phil Jackson would have a lot fewer championship rings. And Bill Parcells would have a much shorter resume.

Users who are viewing this thread