What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Americans (1 Viewer)

Phillip is tapping out.  I think bedding Kimmie was the final straw, so disgusted in himself.  

This season's theme has been sex for sure.  I remember a couple seasons back it was food.  I'm not great at identifying these things but they definitely seem to put the focus on certain aspects of survival.  :shrug:  

I get the season through Amazon, so I watch it a day later than everyone else, but out of curiosity, for those who watch on Fx, do they swear in the normal cable TV versions?  I mean, I was surprised to hear the F bomb in the last episode as Elizabeth told Phillip that he just wanted to F kimmie. 

I get the season through Amazon, so I watch it a day later than everyone else, but out of curiosity, for those who watch on Fx, do they swear in the normal cable TV versions?  I mean, I was surprised to hear the F bomb in the last episode as Elizabeth told Phillip that he just wanted to F kimmie. 
There was nothing bleeped on the airing I recorded. Took me by surprise but FX has been more liberal in allowing F bombs (Philip also said it in the slot car scene). They say it a ton on Atlanta.

Phillip is tapping out.  I think bedding Kimmie was the final straw, so disgusted in himself. 
I'm definitely wondering what Phil's plan is for the next episode. Is he going to sabotage the mission? Going to actually help Elizabeth in the hope that no one needs to be killed if he helps?

Will there be a last straw that causes him to rat Elizabeth out to Stan?

I'm definitely wondering what Phil's plan is for the next episode. Is he going to sabotage the mission? Going to actually help Elizabeth in the hope that no one needs to be killed if he helps?

I don't think he's going to sabotage her. On the phone, he tried to get her to call it off. She refused, so he offered to help, because he doesn't want to see her get caught or killed. It's an extraction, which is probably what Philip may have to plan for himself at some point. But the FBI is also on it, so I'd say there's a 99 percent chance either Philip or Elizabeth (or both) get spotted, and the description matches that sketch they have of Elizabeth when she attacked the FBI agents years ago. Maybe she's forced to tell Philip about the cyanide pill she's got in the locket around her neck.

I'd like to know what the coded message was that Philip left for Oleg.

I don't think he's going to sabotage her. On the phone, he tried to get her to call it off. She refused, so he offered to help, because he doesn't want to see her get caught or killed. It's an extraction, which is probably what Philip may have to plan for himself at some point. But the FBI is also on it, so I'd say there's a 99 percent chance either Philip or Elizabeth (or both) get spotted, and the description matches that sketch they have of Elizabeth when she attacked the FBI agents years ago. Maybe she's forced to tell Philip about the cyanide pill she's got in the locket around her neck.

I'd like to know what the coded message was that Philip left for Oleg.
I don't think he knows what he's going to do yet (or, at least, we as viewers are not supposed to know). I think your two bolded sentences may be at cross-purposes from each other. 

I didn't think that there was any question that he plans to help her. Henry telling him about the unusual nature of her call alerted him to the fact that she was really worried and thought she might not come back. As both he and Elizabeth have stated in recent episodes, he still loves her.

I don't think he knows what he's going to do yet (or, at least, we as viewers are not supposed to know). I think your two bolded sentences may be at cross-purposes from each other. 
To clarify, up until he called her in Chicago, he was working against her. But I think he's legitimately worried enough about her that his offer to help is genuine. To sabotage her Chicago operation would risk getting himself caught in the process.

roarlions said:

Good questions.  I don't think he will sabotage her.  I think his protective instinct with her and the other Illegals is kicking in.  

At some point Stan is going to find out everything.  We are approaching this scene very soon. 

roarlions said:

He still loves Elizabeth. So he won't do anything that puts her in danger. I don't think he will sabotage her mission (if it jeopardizes her) or rat her out.

But its all going to end very badly.

phandango said:
To clarify, up until he called her in Chicago, he was working against her. But I think he's legitimately worried enough about her that his offer to help is genuine. To sabotage her Chicago operation would risk getting himself caught in the process.
But working against her previously wasn't putting her in immediate danger. Assuming sabotaging Chicago would put her in danger, I don't think he will do it.

Phillip is going to help protect Elizabeth because he loves her. He is not going to sabotage her mission. But I don't foresee a rosy reunion in the short term - reading between the lines of next week's preview, they have Stan asking Phillip, "is there anything you want to tell me?" and Phillip saying "I've been wanting to tell you for a long time." They made it seem like the conversation is about Phillip/Elizabeth being illegals, but I'm betting it's going to be about their marital troubles and/or business woes. Still hoping the hint of Stan's wife being a Russian agent pays off as something, and I wonder if we'll ever see Martha again? 

What if he thinks he can do both?
Good point. But this isn't some hit that he might morally object to at this point. I can't see why Phillip would be opposed to helping an illegal, who has presumably served with distinction for many decades, get home safely rather than fall into the hands of the FBI and potentially expose them all.

Plot twist: What if the extraction is going badly, and Phillip offs the Chicago illegal to limit Elizabeth's exposure while also making sure the guy doesn't reveal anything to the FBI?

There's no reason for him to want to sabotage a mission to save another illegal. The dual purpose could be to save Elizabeth but, in doing so, get back in her circle of trust to have info to pass to Oleg.
Or, he goes rogue and tries to extract (kidnap) Elizabeth to save her.

Keep in mind that Elizabeth thinks this mission is so dangerous she calls her son and basically tells him goodbye, then passive-aggressively begs Philip into helping her. If Philip is really just concerned with helping Elizabeth, then he'll drop that other illegal like a hot potato at the moment it becomes a choice to try & save her - consequences be damned.

Plus, I'm not sure that Philip thinks her current tasks are separate from each other. 

And..... I hate to get meta here, but there are only four episodes left and I'm not sure how well a reset would work after all of this time spent wedging their relationship. That's kind of what bothers me about the seeming slow play on Renee.

In any case, I trust the people running this show to stick the landing. 

If the agent knew he was being followed and sent an emergency signal would it really be that hard to lose the tail in Chicago of all places?

If there was only and episode or two left I would have thought Philip was going to die in Chicago.

So predictions on how the series ends?

Personally, I'd like to see Philip and Elizabeth eventually splitting up with Phillip and Henry staying in the States and  Elizabeth taking Page to Russia and realize how horrible it is and felt like she spent her entire life fighting for nothing.  While this show doesn't feel "happy endingish" I guess I could be ok with them going back to the States to admit mistakes and live as one big happy family.....but it just feels right for the last scene to just be Elizabeth in utter sadness in Russia.
This is looking less likely.....but I guess plausible if they are successful with the extraction.  Given the focus on the cyanide pill earlier in the season, I'm assuming that will have to come into play.

Is it Wednesday yet?
It is now. Can't wait for this.

Out of all the "leaps of faith" in this show, one that I can't get past since they are focusing on it so heavily this season is that the Centre wouldn't make sure Henry's tuition is covered, if only by funneling just enough cash through the travel agency to not look suspicious. I would assume that having your deeply embedded assets experiencing any kind of everyday money problems is safely in the top 3 of things to avoid. 

Out of all the "leaps of faith" in this show, one that I can't get past since they are focusing on it so heavily this season is that the Centre wouldn't make sure Henry's tuition is covered, if only by funneling just enough cash through the travel agency to not look suspicious. I would assume that having your deeply embedded assets experiencing any kind of everyday money problems is safely in the top 3 of things to avoid. 
and it looked like he had cash in his electric panel

It seems like we took a sudden lurch from Stan suspecting nothing for years to searching the Illegals house. There wasn't really anything to make things click in his head like Hank finding the book Gale gave Walt in BB. 
Fair point.

Felt rushed, beginning with Stan's comments before Thanksgiving dinner.

Like a sudden, rising height of awareness of the very real threats everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like we took a sudden lurch from Stan suspecting nothing for years to searching the Illegals house. There wasn't really anything to make things click in his head like Hank finding the book Gale gave Walt in BB. 
Stan was slightly suspicious in season 1. Didn't he snoop around inside their garage then?  I think Stan wondered about Philip's excuse for the reason Elizabeth wasn't at the Thanksgiving dinner. Flying to Houston to pacify a travel agency client at Thanksgiving is odd. Philip having to leave during the holiday to go to Houston to help Elizabeth with the client is even odder. Stan eluded to noticing how late they work. Stan seemed to sorta believe Philip's reason for their behavior was due to the company being in trouble until his talk with Henry while driving to the terminal. When Henry told Stan he knows about the travel agency being in trouble, I think that made Stan wonder how sincere that talk with Philip was. Then Henry talking about his parents getting calls in the middle of the night and leaving through the years, and that they don't really have any relatives really peaked Stan's interest. Then Stan learned a man and woman were seen running from the bloodbath in Chicago, etc. Stan is putting it together.

Stan was slightly suspicious in season 1. Didn't he snoop around inside their garage then?  I think Stan wondered about Philip's excuse for the reason Elizabeth wasn't at the Thanksgiving dinner. Flying to Houston to pacify a travel agency client at Thanksgiving is odd. Philip having to leave during the holiday to go to Houston to help Elizabeth with the client is even odder. Stan eluded to noticing how late they work. Stan seemed to sorta believe Philip's reason for their behavior was due to the company being in trouble until his talk with Henry while driving to the terminal. When Henry told Stan he knows about the travel agency being in trouble, I think that made Stan wonder how sincere that talk with Philip was. Then Henry talking about his parents getting calls in the middle of the night and leaving through the years, and that they don't really have any relatives really peaked Stan's interest. Then Stan learned a man and woman were seen running from the bloodbath in Chicago, etc. Stan is putting it together.
Yeah, I think all of this is right. I think Stan was a little suspicious when he talked to Phillip, so he asked Henry some questions which made him more suspicious. Then Phillip and Elizabeth both being gone under strange circumstances when a man and a woman do something bad to his agents... could definitely bring something up quickly that was bubbling under the surface.

So here's some questions. Does The Center actually book plane tickets to Houston in Liz and Phil's real names when they are supposed to be there for work? I'm guessing no. Which makes their alibi pretty weak - I guess they assume no one will dig, or they're already burned if anyone even starts digging?

Isn't travel agent kind of a dumb cover in the first place? I know they started in the 70s and I'm not sure what job in the 70s required people to run out of town at random times... but I don't think travel agent is it. Nowadays it would be IT consultant. Something believable when you have to run out of the house, or even jump on a plane at 2am. 

Liz and Phil are going to be done in by Phil's generosity in helping out in Chicago, aren't they? If it was just Elizabeth, and no "man and woman" team were involved, probably none of this ever happens. 

EDIT - one more. Shouldn't Liz and Phil have some way of knowing when someone has been snooping in their house? Especially the garage? I realize Henry was in town so they couldn't set up lots of tripwires, and wireless video cameras weren't really a thing yet, but they should have had some idea, right? 

Fair point.

Felt rushed, beginning with Stan's comments before Thanksgiving dinner.
I very much disliked that dinner speech.  Felt of out place.

But, I kind of liked the way Stan started to put some pieces together even after never really suspecting them -- besides the garage/trunk stuff from the beginning of the show that the post before mentions.  I think there is nothing fake about Stan and Philip being really good, or best, friends, especially from Stan's POV.  And Stan is close with Henry, he truly cares for him.  Seems simply human to me that Stan let those barriers cloud his natural way of thinking.

I thought that was a fantastic episode last night, BTW.

That's really been bothering me as well ever since the phone call where Philip told Henry he wouldn't have the tuition money for the next school year.  The only thing I can think of to justify this is Philip really wanted nothing to do with the Centre anymore.  He was trying to go down the "normal" person path, not the spy path.  Also, did Elizabeth even know about that conversation?  Pretty sure Henry never went to her about it, but can't recall if Philip and Eliz had a bedroom chat or something about not being able to fund Henry.

Well,  it's not like the USSR was flush with cash during this time. 

When Henry told Stan he knows about the travel agency being in trouble, I think that made Stan wonder how sincere that talk with Philip was.
Not sure I get this. If anything, I would think Henry echoing that the business had problems would reinforce the story.

Also, a man and woman being involved in the Chicago thing making Stan consider that maybe it's his neighbors he's been friends with for years seems like a very big stretch.

In a show where the writing is generally pretty great I thought the whole transition in Stan felt forced and rushed.

Users who are viewing this thread