What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Americans (2 Viewers)

Just ran off the last six episodes.

Geez, can't believe Philip slept with that young chick.  Rough scene.  The one who was going to Greece.

"You just wanted to bang her because you weren't getting enough action here."

Maybe the line of the season.

Maybe, though Paige calling her mother a whore is right up there.
Did you notice Keri Russell's forehead and eye veins popping out when she was having that argument with Paige?  About a year or so ago, I saw this interview with Keri, Matthew, and one of the showrunners, and they were talking about her forehead veins that pop out when she is mad. The editor wanted to edit out the veins on Keri's forehead to make her look prettier, and Keri said absolutely not. She said she didn't want to look pretty when she is mad. The showrunner said some critics call it her Emmy vein (although she has never won an Emmy for playing Elizabeth).

I think Stan helps Oleg because Gorbachev is better for world peace, but the FBI superiors will see it as treasonous...

Thought it was great, but dumb question....I guess Paige will be on the run for the rest of her life?  From both the feds and the center?

She'll be interrogated but can't she act dumb? Like she didn't know anything. The only one who knows is Stan and he can't say anything.
Yeah I guess she could just act dumb, but I would have to think the Centre would be after her ASAP (or at least until Philip and Elizabeth get the word to the right people in Russia about the Centre. 

It might be Paige’s best bet to ask Stan’s advice on witness protection :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I guess she could just act dumb, but I would have to think the Centre would be after her ASAP (or at least until Philip and Elizabeth get the word to the right people in Russia about the Centre. 

It might be Paige’s best bet to ask Stan’s advice on witness protection :shrug:
Paige didn't run. Philip and Elizabeth took the easy way out. They knew their chances of living a decent life were much better in Russian than in America. Paige didn't. She could easily end up in jail the rest of her life, but I think she was the braver one in this case because her future is so uncertain, and she seemingly did it because she didn't want Henry to be alone. Philip and Elizabeth chose flight over fight. Elizabeth even tossed the cyanide pill in the dirt with Henry's passport. Even at the end I had a hard time feeling any sympathy for them. Like Stan said, they murdered countless people in the DC area, ruined their kids' lives and then Philip took the parting shot by mentioning Renee to Stan. And they got away with everything. 

Paige didn't run. Philip and Elizabeth took the easy way out. They knew their chances of living a decent life were much better in Russian than in America. Paige didn't. She could easily end up in jail the rest of her life, but I think she was the braver one in this case because her future is so uncertain, and she seemingly did it because she didn't want Henry to be alone. Philip and Elizabeth chose flight over fight. Elizabeth even tossed the cyanide pill in the dirt with Henry's passport. Even at the end I had a hard time feeling any sympathy for them. Like Stan said, they murdered countless people in the DC area, ruined their kids' lives and then Philip took the parting shot by mentioning Renee to Stan. And they got away with everything. 
Or killed by the Soviets because of 'loose ends.'

I agree that Paige basically chose Henry over her parents, who have done nothing but lie to her. I don't think Philip was taking a parting shot by mentioning to Stan the possibility of Renee being a spy. As a friend, he honestly wanted to warn him of his suspicions so that he doesn't get blindsided again. Of course, that sets up a torturous scenario that probably ruins the marriage if she isn't a spy. But her being a spy without him knowing is probably a worse outcome. Probably not telling him and her ending up not being a spy is the only good possible outcome, but Philip didn't really have time to plan this out. He was warning a friend he wasn't going to see again.

What was so great about this end was the rays of sunshine and hope within the overwhelming melancholy. 

Stan going to see Henry was a perfect example. Uplifting as Stan was in many ways more a dad to Henry than Philip, and yet even as you were happy to see him more formally assume that role, it was to break the kids heart about his entire life. 

Even at the end, we had the sparring of the "wasted" efforts of Phil and Liz looking over the city back in Russia with the glimmer that in the end they DID have something to show for it - two kids, that they raised, who were now ready to be adults. 

And lets not forget the backdrop of the wall about to come down... the lost hope for Stan and Liz to see their children again or even come back to the states, the helplessness of Oleg facing life in prison, even Stans outcome potentially living with a spy... all that may get overturned as relations thaw. I think at the least I could see Oleg getting sent back to Russia with what is known at this point and what had been confirmed to Stan about his mission here.

In the end though, this was a story about Phil and Liz literally against the world. 

Amazing last episode.

So much fun.  The scene with stan was perfect and the look in his eye when his boss said they had the apartment staked out was telling.  I loved how Philip mindeffed him as he was getting into the car.  Man everything was better than I could hope.  I do kindof wish Paige had one last interaction with the fat old handler at the apartment to give us closure there.

I honest to God thought they were going to end the show when they stopped the car and the camera would pan over their shoulders showing a McDonalds that they were looking at.  Kindof foreshadowing earlier and it would be a reveal that everything they did was in vain and they lost their kids.

Very good final episode. I'm glad it didn't end with a shootout or some ridiculous race to leap across the border. And that it ended with Philip and Elizabeth together, since so much of the show revolved around their marriage. 

Many at the Centre are very unhappy with Elizabeth's recent actions - does she survive in Russia long enough to rebuild a decent life there?

Did Paige refuse to speak to Henry on the pay phone because she knew she would get off the train before crossing the border - didn't want the authorities to know she was with her parents if they were listening in, and wanted to be able to play innocent to Henry?

Very good final episode. I'm glad it didn't end with a shootout or some ridiculous race to leap across the border. And that it ended with Philip and Elizabeth together, since so much of the show revolved around their marriage. 

Many at the Centre are very unhappy with Elizabeth's recent actions - does she survive in Russia long enough to rebuild a decent life there?

Did Paige refuse to speak to Henry on the pay phone because she knew she would get off the train before crossing the border - didn't want the authorities to know she was with her parents if they were listening in, and wanted to be able to play innocent to Henry?
Good call, this didn't even cross my mind.  I was thinking she just couldn't keep it together.

Good call, this didn't even cross my mind.  I was thinking she just couldn't keep it together.
I initially thought like you but I was still thinking about the show trying to fall asleep last night and then had that same thought as TMM. Pretty awesome if that's the case, and I was hoping Sepinwall would have asked that in his wrap up with the creators.

Agree with most, very solid closing episode.  Maybe because I expected more mayhem and death, but I'm glad they didn't go that way. 

Philip and Elizabeth had no choice really.  Did they take the easy way out and run?  I guess you could look at it that way, but they had no other good option.  Life in jail or the possibility of a decent life somewhere.  Nobody is choosing jail.  They did what they had to do, pretty much like always.  My question is, why did they choose to go, or have to go, to Russia?  Their roots?  Most difficult place for the US to extract them from if they wanted to?  Why not just go hide out and build a new life somewhere in Europe or Asia?

The Stan and Philip exchange was perfectly done and I do think he was telling Stan about Renee as a friend. 

It was great that Paige went to the safe house to slam some vodka.  End of the day, I'm probably most satisfied by her decision over anyone else's.  She'll be there for her brother and I don't think her story ends by facing any kind of charges or whatever.  Maybe she has to worry about the Centre, but that's crumbling.  No chance she continues as a spy, right?

Agree with most, very solid closing episode.  Maybe because I expected more mayhem and death, but I'm glad they didn't go that way. 

Philip and Elizabeth had no choice really.  Did they take the easy way out and run?  I guess you could look at it that way, but they had no other good option.  Life in jail or the possibility of a decent life somewhere.  Nobody is choosing jail.  They did what they had to do, pretty much like always.  My question is, why did they choose to go, or have to go, to Russia?  Their roots?  Most difficult place for the US to extract them from if they wanted to?  Why not just go hide out and build a new life somewhere in Europe or Asia?

The Stan and Philip exchange was perfectly done and I do think he was telling Stan about Renee as a friend. 

It was great that Paige went to the safe house to slam some vodka.  End of the day, I'm probably most satisfied by her decision over anyone else's.  She'll be there for her brother and I don't think her story ends by facing any kind of charges or whatever.  Maybe she has to worry about the Centre, but that's crumbling.  No chance she continues as a spy, right?
I think the #1 reason is that they wanted to get the message back re: Gorbachev.

If we assume that they do, it really makes Stan out to be the hero in all of this by letting them go.  

Confirmed in this interview:

So he is doing that purely out of kindness, and not as one last thing to throw Stan off balance so they can leave?

Weisberg: Oh, that never even occurred to us, Alan, that that’s an interpretation. In our minds, they feel that they’re probably going to get leave at that point, though they don’t know for sure. We thought of that as totally an act of friendship.

No chance she continues as a spy, right?
Right. Her parents true identities are known now, and she will be under a watchful eye. I doubt the Centre would go after her to hurt her. She never really knew the true nature of their missions, because Claudia and Elizabeth talked those details when she would leave the room/apartment. She always knew the positive side of what they were doing as spies, except hearing what her parents told Stan about the Centre in the parking garage. She also thinks her parents never killed anyone. The Centre doesn't know she originally ran with her parents, and neither does the FBI (except for Stan). Stan would protect Paige, and Paige would protect Stan. 

I think the #1 reason is that they wanted to get the message back re: Gorbachev.

If we assume that they do, it really makes Stan out to be the hero in all of this by letting them go.  
Yeah, Philip and Elizabeth had to get back to deliver the message themselves. 

Those disguises shouldn't have held up.
I liked this Q&A about their disguises.

Sometimes your costumes and wigs did a lot of the work. Did you have favorite and least favorite disguises?

Rhys: Anything with facial hair [drove] me nuts. You can't eat. You're restricted in the way you can talk, or act. Someone's poking your lip every four seconds to keep the piece stuck on. Having said that, my favorite disguise was probably this guy in the pilot who had a mustache and long hair. I liked to think he was Spanish.

Russell: He named him Fernando, and when he spoke off-camera, it was in the voice of Buzz Lightyear … you know that scene in Toy Story, when he got switched to Spanish?

Rhys: Your best was when you looked like John Denver.

Russell: Okay then, I'll say my favorite was John Denver, because that's hilarious. My least favorite was anything with a lot of makeup, that you just have to keep putting it on and on and on. I did like playing "Steph" a lot this year – the home care worker with a bad permed orange hair and terrible clothes. I could wear that costume around off the set, and just be invisible. I'd wear it to the grocery store.

And they got away with everything. 
At what cost and... for what gain?

In the end, Philip and Elizabeth were pawns utilized to murder and harm innocents all to forward a cause for their country... but who were they serving? After all, the Center wanted to co-opt Liz to further what is hard to see as anything but being traitors by looking to get rid of Gorbachev and killing / framing innocent countrymen along the way. So, even if the cost was worth it, to what end as what benefit did their efforts produce?

And the costs were high. They each relinquished their own lives to this. They face everything... and in doing so harmed those closest to them including the completely innocent Henry. Philips one true friend as the man who he lied to the most, but it also said something that Stan was the closest thing to a friend either of them really ever had.  And, perhaps most damaging of all, at least for Phil, was his relinquishment of his soul and his acknowledgement that not only were THEY THEMSELVES ultimately responsible for murdering innocents and other terrible deeds, but worse yet their sacrificed their souls in a way to do this as the bequest of a Center which, in the end, was out more for itself and it's own power than any "good of the country"

Which ties right back into the first point.

They have everything of themselves to do terrible deeds while ruining the lives of dozens including their own children.... for what seems to have been at best a lost cause, if not a cause that has ceased to exist for some time, at all. 

simey said:
Right. Her parents true identities are known now, and she will be under a watchful eye. I doubt the Centre would go after her to hurt her. She never really knew the true nature of their missions, because Claudia and Elizabeth talked those details when she would leave the room/apartment. She always knew the positive side of what they were doing as spies, except hearing what her parents told Stan about the Centre in the parking garage. She also thinks her parents never killed anyone. The Centre doesn't know she originally ran with her parents, and neither does the FBI (except for Stan). Stan would protect Paige, and Paige would protect Stan. 
good points :thumbup:

Tiger Fan said:

Right, I guess I overlooked the immediate nature of the message in favor of their long term plan.  

A fitting end to what I thought was an excellent series. They had me off-balance the entire episode, but it all worked.

Paige on the train platform was the biggest "holy crap!" moment for me. And Elizabeth's reaction on seeing her there was probably the most surprised she's been the entire series.

To me, Noah Emmerich has always been this show's heart and secret weapon. If he doesn't get Emmy consideration after last night, it would be a damned shame.

I've had a blast discussing this show with you guys over the years. 

i thouggt when stan left the house after he hugged his wife he was going to blow his brains out
What I liked about this show was how it showed "real life" and "true human emotions" through the lens of the typical American family that is anything, but.

yet, in the end, we are still all people, even if we are lifelong spies living a lie, murdering people and even raising a family as part of the (maybe THE KEY part) cover. 

May the end, we were able to all reflect, especially through the eyes of Phil and Liz - about was it all worth it, was it worth it at all... and in the end for them, it was the most natural of all instinct, the will to survive and procreate that stood tall. And they were (rightfully) proud about perhaps their one true, positive contribution to this world - their children who they raised.

But life doesn't have true closure.  Even as we die, or move on and disappear, others continue.  So in the end, Stan's life continues without resolution - becuase at that point nothing is resolved as nothing is arguably ever "resolved" - we just move on to the next phase of life, those of us still here, at least. 

And the question then becomes of repeating cycles, or starting anew. Will Paige be an asset moving forward for Russia, or decide to pursue a more "normal" life.

and again, what does normal mean when within a couple years the wall is torn down, The USSR splits apart and opens up?

The very part of me that wanted answers to this also realises that is just not how life works. We have loops, time frames, periods of our life... but closure is rare, and closure for one person or from one period of life doesn't equate to the same for those left behind, nor those still to come. 

In its own Seinfeldian way, this show was about the fact that nothing matters, expect that everything matters. We are the decisions and actions we make, and our lives are the story told through the thread of those decisions and actions. And while this was cloaked as spies in America leading a dual life, at root it was about Phil and Liz, heir story, their marriage and their legacy.

IMO, that legacy is most prominent in the children they raised - maybe the most (or arguably only) "true" thing / outcome / decisions and action of raising their children, that they had.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread