What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Continuous Rays thread: fun season (4 Viewers)

Premier

Footballguy
Seriously guys...please trade some of these arms for hitting. Team had a world championship caliber pitching staff and a AAA offense.

Trade Hellickson for a bat and sub in Chris Archer. Problem solved. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when Price signed a ball for my 4 year old son back in 2009....I told him he'd want to hold onto that one.

I'm a Tiger fan first, and there was an argument for JV, but Price deserved it.

'Northern Voice said:
Do Rays fans have any thoughts on the idea that the Marlins trade kills any chance of the Rays getting a new stadium/surviving?http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2012/11/13/the-marlins-a-modest-proposal/
Nah that's dumb. The Rays don't have any fire sale history and the fans here don't hate the team. They hate the stadium location. The Rays are the most popular local franchise here.

Played golf with D Shelton yesterday...great guy. He thinks the offense will be more of the same. No pitcher trades. We'll put together an assortment of role players to accent Longo, and just hope they hit better than the role guys did this year. Everything obviously rides on Longos health.

Interesting note about Longo....Shelton met him in Arizona in the offseason prior to 2011...and both instantly realized that his swing was gone. Took months to get it back, tweak by tweak. Same meeting in 2012 and Longo was locked in from the beginning. Hope the '13 get together starts like that.

That's a steal for TB. By the end of that contract Longoria will have to purchase an economy size spaceship. No fancy Italian ships for him.

"We kind of tried to find a middle ground to where we would able to do some things to be able to afford some players to put ourselves in a position to win every year," Longoria said. "And I told them from the beginning that I didn't want to be the one sucking up all the payroll so we can't afford anybody else."
:banned: :banned: :banned: :banned:

"We kind of tried to find a middle ground to where we would able to do some things to be able to afford some players to put ourselves in a position to win every year," Longoria said. "And I told them from the beginning that I didn't want to be the one sucking up all the payroll so we can't afford anybody else."
:banned: :banned: :banned: :banned:
GB Evan LongoriaAlready a winning offseason.

BJ to the Braves.

It's going to be interesting to see the exact opposite reaction to Crawford leaving. Everyone loved Carl when he was here, but because he chose to go to Boston, he became instantly hated.

BJ had a lot if haters here, but I think most will wish him the best and continue to root for him to do well.

Loney for $2M?
I like the signing. It's virtually no risk. Loney should be able to hit righties and field his position well enough to earn it back. The Rays should be able to find somebody to fill the short half of the platoon.

Don't understand the Longoria extension. Alot of money for a small market team to spend on a 3B who always gets dinged.

Don't understand the Longoria extension. Alot of money for a small market team to spend on a 3B who always gets dinged.
Not sure it matters a lot, but nothing could have made this fan base more excited. He does get dinged but there is no doubting his ability. I loved it.

Not sure it matters a lot, but nothing could have made this fan base more excited. He does get dinged but there is no doubting his ability. I loved it.
Don't disagree at all on his ability. High character guy, great defender, and solid offensive player when healthy. But I just don't see the reason to re-sign him for such a long time. Injuries don't improve with age, and he plays a demanding position.

Don't disagree at all on his ability. High character guy, great defender, and solid offensive player when healthy. But I just don't see the reason to re-sign him for such a long time. Injuries don't improve with age, and he plays a demanding position.
I can dig that. I think it was just the team showing a committment to a guy who they feel is ridiculously underpaid. And with the way the tv money is heading, his 2020 contract probably won't be all that awful, even if he doesn't stay all that healthy.I have to imagine worst-case scenario is he has to eventually move off of third. His bat would play just fine at first or DH.

Yea Myers isn't going to be up until June. Unless of course he gets the Longoria/Matt Moore special.

I would take Pena as the lefty side of a DH platoon. :shrug:
Wil Myers says :hi:Why any trades with these guys is beyond me

...and any other team would kill for that Lonhoria contract.

Just masterful this offseason.
Exactly. Here in the DFW area we are pretty fond of our Ranger front office, but even the local sports radio guys said several times this week that if any other GM looks at his caller ID and sees Tampa Bay the only correct move is to pick up the phone and say "No".

Sub .200 average with 158 and 182 strikeouts respectively in his last two seasons as a Ray. I probably dislike him more than he deserves, but I've never seen a player make more unproductive outs on a consistent basis than Carlos Pena.

Sub .200 average with 158 and 182 strikeouts respectively in his last two seasons as a Ray. I probably dislike him more than he deserves, but I've never seen a player make more unproductive outs on a consistent basis than Carlos Pena.
.342 OBP against RHP last year, with a sissified slugging. .388 and .504 in 2011. I dunno, probably not worth the trouble but if they get priced out elsewhere he can be had for 1 yr/2M.

How many position players with MVP level talent have the Rays had in their history, and how many will the Rays have in the next 5 years? I'd say two...CC and Longo....one is a lot more expensive.

The Rays have gotten approval to add the 'Turn Back the Clock' retro jersey to their regular season rotation this season....so you'll be seeing a lot it.

The Rays have gotten approval to add the 'Turn Back the Clock' retro jersey to their regular season rotation this season....so you'll be seeing a lot it.
Awesome.
When do the jerseys hit the shelves?My fiancée also wants to know what the FBG buddy hook up/discount is for these. She loves them. ;)

Awesome.
When do the jerseys hit the shelves?My fiancée also wants to know what the FBG buddy hook up/discount is for these. She loves them. ;)
Should hit the Trop and Downtown store in Feb...not sure who else is going to carry yet....possibly just Lids/Sports fanatic.I'll pm you....

Awesome.
Should hit the Trop and Downtown store in Feb...not sure who else is going to carry yet....possibly just Lids/Sports fanatic.I'll pm you....
:thumbup:

Michael Morse a fit? Sounds like the Nats want to trade with TB now that Laroche is signed.
Hope so. Would be a good fit. Wonder what they are looking for?
I like Morse and he definitely is the kind of bat they need. However, trading a player and paying him $7M for just this season doesn't seem like the Rays' style. His defense also leads a bit to be desired, and Morse has hinted at not being too interested in being a DH.

Users who are viewing this thread