Premier

Continuous Rays thread: PECOTA world champions 2008-16

1,201 posts in this topic

It's tougher to draft when you're not picking at the top of the draft

Tim Beckham likes this

1 person likes this

I keep seeing how much the Cubs (especially Maddon) really really want Chris Archer, but Tampa won't budge unless Baez or Schwarber, and a top level prospect head east.

That's a deal-breaker for Theo. 

Edited by Encyclopedia Brown

5 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

I keep seeing how much the Cubs (especially Maddon) really really want Chris Archer, but Tampa won't budge unless Baez or Schwarber, and a top level prospect head east.

That's a deal-breaker for Theo. 

I mean archer is really good and signed to a ridiculous contract. They should be asking that and more. 

There's absolutely no reason for the Rays to sell low on Archer. 

I wouldn't think the Rays would be interested in moving another starter after dealing Smyly. 

2 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

I wouldn't think the Rays would be interested in moving another starter after dealing Smyly. 

I don't either. I read an interesting article a few weeks ago about how the Rays should leave Andriese in the pen as he's awesome the first time around, but then that leaves the 5th starter as Chase Whitley which doesn't seem ideal. 

*unless they call up one of the Durham kids in May. 

Rays just traded Logan Forsyth, cause hey, who needs stupid offense. 

Jose De Leon is a good get for the Rays

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Jose De Leon is a good get for the Rays

2018 ERA Champs (72-90 record) 

12 hours ago, Capella said:

Rays just traded Logan Forsyth, cause hey, who needs stupid offense. 

Rays being Rays.  As soon as someone starts making a little money they're gone.  Looks like a pretty dominant rotation for the future though. 

Sounds like they aren't done.  Moving Miller back to 2B and signing Carter seems like a smart play.  Beckham and Franklin are your utility guys.  I think I'd keep Colome though unless they're blown away by a deal?  A Colome/Boxberger back end of the bullpen with the rotation they have could definitely suppress some runs.

19 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

Sounds like they aren't done.  Moving Miller back to 2B and signing Carter seems like a smart play.  Beckham and Franklin are your utility guys.  I think I'd keep Colome though unless they're blown away by a deal?  A Colome/Boxberger back end of the bullpen with the rotation they have could definitely suppress some runs.

I don't care for Carter a lot. Think Napoli is better, but (deep sigh)...he will also be more expensive. 

That said, either one will give them RH power which they need pretty badly. 

Also, can Miller play 2B? He was a disaster at SS.  

Edited by Capella

Either one gives them that much more flexibility and power from that side.  Not that either guy will be getting a long term deal from the Rays, but Carter is also 5 years younger, and seems to have more power at this stage of his career.

Miller's problems at short were of the throwing error variety, iirc.  Maybe the shorter distance will help him?  He has some games under his belt there.  Who knows how well he'd take another move though?  He wasn't thrilled to go to 1B.

Beckham could play there against lefties. 

For a 70 win team, these guys sure do generate plenty of discussion.

1 minute ago, Limp Ditka said:

Active, analytical small budget clubs are interesting to watch in the off-season.  Other than Longoria and Archer, the Rays' lineup has a bit of the island of misfit toys look about it but I think the organization has done a good job of balancing youth, budget and quality. 

39 minutes ago, Limp Ditka said:

Well it wasn't all that long ago they rode the same ideas into annual 90+ win seasons. 

1 hour ago, Limp Ditka said:

Just trying to give the Hot Stove Sox a run for their money. 

43 minutes ago, Capella said:

Well it wasn't all that long ago they rode the same ideas into annual 90+ win seasons. 

Well that and top five draft picks of Longoria and Price.

4 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Well that and top five draft picks of Longoria and Price.

I am pretty sure those two guys alone didn't propel them to 95 win seasons. 

7 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

The White Sox are doing a rebuild with youth which to me is less interesting than the Rays' approach.  There's only so much you can say about Moncada and Giolito because nobody knows how good they'll be including the Sox.  Piecing together a semi-competitive lineup with guys like Rasmus, Matt Duffy and Jason Coats is more of a puzzle.  You mostly know what they can and can't do so the challenge is to put them in positions where they can succeed.

42 minutes ago, Capella said:

I am pretty sure those two guys alone didn't propel them to 95 win seasons. 

Friedman made some good trades and some of the acquisitions from the Chuck LaMarr era developed.  The construction of the 2017 club is different from the World Series team.  They seem to be treading water until their next wave of young players comes in.  Only Carlos Pena and Iwakuma fit the model of undervalued talent that they're bringing in now (I'm probably forgetting others).

1 hour ago, Grahamburn said:

:flex:

3 hours ago, Eephus said:

Friedman made some good trades and some of the acquisitions from the Chuck LaMarr era developed.  The construction of the 2017 club is different from the World Series team.  They seem to be treading water until their next wave of young players comes in.  Only Carlos Pena and Iwakuma fit the model of undervalued talent that they're bringing in now (I'm probably forgetting others).

It kind of is different but the same idea of basing it on pitching and then matchups offensively. 

Obviously BJ and CC panned out. But Zobrist wasn't much then. Aki at 2B, Bartlett at SS, the RF and C situations weren't great either. 

There's more pop with this team but less prominent young talent. 

Logan Morrison :towelwave:

ETA:  Rickie Weeks :towelwave:

Edited by Eephus

LoMo over Carter for a mere $500k difference.  Maybe CC wasn't interested in playing in Tampa?

On 2/8/2017 at 9:59 AM, Grahamburn said:

LoMo over Carter for a mere $500k difference.  Maybe CC wasn't interested in playing in Tampa?

Wouldn't you rather play for the Yankees too? 

42 minutes ago, Capella said:

Wouldn't you rather play for the Yankees too? 

If I'm signing a one year deal, looking to maximize my future earning potential, I #### for 162 and look for the best place for me to do that. 

Wieters to the Nats

Team isn't even trying. Can't wait till they call me to buy tickets. My favorite call of the year. 

2 people like this

Finally getting around to seeing the Rays in a Spring training game 3/5 against Blue Jays.  Low expectations are a given.

2 hours ago, Capella said:

Wieters to the Nats

Team isn't even trying. Can't wait till they call me to buy tickets. My favorite call of the year. 

They certainly stick to their guns.  Surprised they even looked at him with Boras as his agent. 

Apparently the Rays' new market inefficiency is signing guys that can't play due to injury for well below their healthy market value. 

The extension Longoria signed five years ago is finally kicking in this year.  He's still well below market value but accounts for about 18% of total payroll.  Wieters would have been a second contract over $10M and wouldn't be a huge upgrade over a healthy Ramos.

On 2/21/2017 at 1:10 PM, Eephus said:

The extension Longoria signed five years ago is finally kicking in this year.  He's still well below market value but accounts for about 18% of total payroll.  Wieters would have been a second contract over $10M and wouldn't be a huge upgrade over a healthy Ramos.

He wouldn't have been but Ramos isn't going to be ready to catch until July. If they were interested in competing they would have moved to shore that up for the 3 months he's gone, and also in case he can't return right away.

Maybe Maile and Casali can match him but they're pretty bad. 

On 2/21/2017 at 7:14 AM, Capella said:

Wieters to the Nats

Serious question - I wonder if the FO ever meets with the folks in sales to get a picture of what customers are saying about the product?  I go back and forth. I'm mostly convince the FO doesn't give enough of a #### to even ask, but another part of me thinks it would be crazy not to take the fan base temperature by simply asking employees about the feedback they are receiving.  Some years I give the polite "no thanks, not interest in a package".  Other times, like 2 weeks ago, I asked the rep who called me if he thought the Padre rotation was capable of leading this team to the playoffs,  

10 hours ago, tommyGunZ said:

Serious question - I wonder if the FO ever meets with the folks in sales to get a picture of what customers are saying about the product?  I go back and forth. I'm mostly convince the FO doesn't give enough of a #### to even ask, but another part of me thinks it would be crazy not to take the fan base temperature by simply asking employees about the feedback they are receiving.  Some years I give the polite "no thanks, not interest in a package".  Other times, like 2 weeks ago, I asked the rep who called me if he thought the Padre rotation was capable of leading this team to the playoffs,  

I had a friend actually sell tickets for them in 2015 -- he loathed the job and quit after the season. Anyhow, he said the managers would ask for some feedback from all the no calls, but he wasn't sure how high up the chain it went. 

He did say however that he got a LOT of complaints about the team's performance. He said at times it was like a sports radio call-in show. 

This FO is going thru the motions at this point.  It's completely different than it was 8 years ago.

3 hours ago, Capella said:

I had a friend actually sell tickets for them in 2015 -- he loathed the job and quit after the season. Anyhow, he said the managers would ask for some feedback from all the no calls, but he wasn't sure how high up the chain it went. 

He did say however that he got a LOT of complaints about the team's performance. He said at times it was like a sports radio call-in show. 

Yeah, I imagine it would be a ####ty job.  Which is why i usually just save me and the rep the time and go with "not interested".  Occasionally I'll slip in the "would you pay for this product - have you seen what the projected rotation is??" Shtick just so the reps have some ammo if asked.  

Nice to see them come back with the help of the Blue Jays bullpen today.  Enjoyed myself in Dunedin today :thumbup:

I do like the Norris signing. Big upgrade at catcher, particularly if he can hit kkke he did a few years ago. 

Appears the opening day lineup will be:

Dickerson

Kiermaier

Longoria

Miller

Morrison

Souza

Norris

Beckham

Mallex!

rotation seems set, Cobb may be hurt and the bullpen is a mess. Guess we'll see :shrug:  

Headed to the day game against Detroit on 4/20.  Hopefully they're still in the AL East race at that time. 

1 person likes this