What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Guitar Guys Thread -- all axes, all the time (1 Viewer)

I don't know specifics about Orange amps, but I know they've been around forever and that Dead Meadow use them exclusively and that they get some incredible tones out of them.

And Andrian Belew is the only person on Earth outside the #### Dale/Ventures school who should have a tremelo bar, imo.

I don't know specifics about Orange amps, but I know they've been around forever and that Dead Meadow use them exclusively and that they get some incredible tones out of them.And Andrian Belew is the only person on Earth outside the #### Dale/Ventures school who should have a tremelo bar, imo.
Jeff beck?

I like the look of that neck, as well. That process must be fun.

Beck is obviously one of a kind and phenomenal, but I'm just not a fan of tremolo in most contexts/tones, including most of what he does with it. I know...blasphemous. I might be the only one who feels that way. Adrian uses it as much more of a textural tool than most do. Where is doesn't just sound good, but in hindsight ends up sounding almost necessary.

Oats...Twin. Except no substitutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Apple Jack said:
We'll see. I could end up with something really cool. Or I could end up spending $750 in parts on a guitar that sounds like crap.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good approachable book to supplements lessons? I'm taking them and 30 min lessons go so fast that I feel like I basically get another assignment of chords/scales or whatever to learn and we're out of time, but I'd like to fill in some of the whys of what I'm learning - theory or something...

'Apple Jack said:
I like the look of that neck, as well. That process must be fun.Beck is obviously one of a kind and phenomenal, but I'm just not a fan of tremolo in most contexts/tones, including most of what he does with it. I know...blasphemous. I might be the only one who feels that way. Adrian uses it as much more of a textural tool than most do. Where is doesn't just sound good, but in hindsight ends up sounding almost necessary.Oats...Twin. Except no substitutes.
Almost bought a Twin recently. I really love the clean sound and for my jazzy playing I got something similar -- a solid state Fender Stage Lead amp from circa 1980 that has cleans and reverbs every bit as nice as a Twin (but the distortion is awful).Since I have a clean amp I love, what about a tube pedal for distortion? Are those any good? I've never owned one, but maybe that's a cheap and good sounding solution?

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good approachable book to supplements lessons? I'm taking them and 30 min lessons go so fast that I feel like I basically get another assignment of chords/scales or whatever to learn and we're out of time, but I'd like to fill in some of the whys of what I'm learning - theory or something...
Your teacher should be giving you the theory along with the lessons. At least that's how I learned. Not to say I learned all that much theory -- I gave up lessons as that part started to get complicated...

'Apple Jack said:
I like the look of that neck, as well. That process must be fun.Beck is obviously one of a kind and phenomenal, but I'm just not a fan of tremolo in most contexts/tones, including most of what he does with it. I know...blasphemous. I might be the only one who feels that way. Adrian uses it as much more of a textural tool than most do. Where is doesn't just sound good, but in hindsight ends up sounding almost necessary.Oats...Twin. Except no substitutes.
Almost bought a Twin recently. I really love the clean sound and for my jazzy playing I got something similar -- a solid state Fender Stage Lead amp from circa 1980 that has cleans and reverbs every bit as nice as a Twin (but the distortion is awful).Since I have a clean amp I love, what about a tube pedal for distortion? Are those any good? I've never owned one, but maybe that's a cheap and good sounding solution?
I know virtually nothing about tube distortion/overdrive pedals. Have heard good things about the Kingsley Jester.

Your teacher should be giving you the theory along with the lessons. At least that's how I learned. Not to say I learned all that much theory -- I gave up lessons as that part started to get complicated...
Not sure he's that good at that part. I mean he knows it and is very talented but in that short an amount of time it's tough. Plus I really don't absorb knowledge well orally. I need to read it, and this stuff is so foreign to me that I'm going to need to read it over multiple times.

'Apple Jack said:
I know virtually nothing about tube distortion/overdrive pedals. Have heard good things about the Kingsley Jester.
Sd1 or tubescreamer. You'll have to play loud.Otherwise by an ADA MP1 or GS21 off eBay and call it a day.

Theory sucks. Application is what matters "Otis, you like jazz, right? Pop in a tape of duke Ellington, listen for the key and use these notes to improvise on top of it. Let me right them down. It's called Mixolodian but that doesn't matter..."

'Apple Jack said:
Same here. The only pedals I've used since high school was a Big Muff and a Boss Delay. I've never heard a better tone than my SG through my Twin, with the pickups clipping. Fattest effing tone ever.

'Apple Jack said:
Same here. The only pedals I've used since high school was a Big Muff and a Boss Delay. I've never heard a better tone than my SG through my Twin, with the pickups clipping. Fattest effing tone ever.
I'd love to hear a sample if you ever get a chance to record one. Can't say I've ever heard someone play an SG crunch tone through a Twin. Vintage Twins are amazing, so I'd live to hear how it sounds.

By the way, in the interest of full disclosure, I've been playing for 25 years and I'm at the lower end of mediocre. What little I know, I know from hanging and playing with people who are great musicians, former and current pros. I'm a gear head, but my axe-wielding abilities are limited to simple riffs and power chords, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. I'm a singer, after all.

That said, tone is tone, whether it's power chords or blistering solos.

'Apple Jack said:
I'd love to hear a sample if you ever get a chance to record one. Can't say I've ever heard someone play an SG crunch tone through a Twin. Vintage Twins are amazing, so I'd live to hear how it sounds.
I sold them both last year before moving from FL to Northern VA. I'm down to just a 310 Taylor. And I never recorded that tone. For me it was just for jerking off.This is close, though youtube ensuction doesn't do it justice.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss17vA6oPwsETA: I should amend this to say it's the fattest tone I've ever heard come out of a guitar I was playing. Most of my favorites were from Jerry, still through Twins, though with other guitars and eventually using the Twins as a preamp. Jack White uses Twins. Clapton played an SG through a Twin on Disreali Gears. Both Lennon and Harrison used Twins, including the Rooftop concert. The list goes on.This is an interesting read for gearheads.http://dozin.com/jers/guitar/history.htm

By the way, in the interest of full disclosure, I've been playing for 25 years and I'm at the lower end of mediocre. What little I know, I know from hanging and playing with people who are great musicians, former and current pros. I'm a gear head, but my axe-wielding abilities are limited to simple riffs and power chords, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. I'm a singer, after all.That said, tone is tone, whether it's power chords or blistering solos.
I've been playing longer, but not "playing." You're an infinitely better player. No question. My gear knowledge is non-existent. I'm just a listener who knows what tones he likes.

'Apple Jack said:
I'm not a big pedal guru by any means, but You can't go wrong with a Fulltone Overdrive II. I know tubescreamers are popular, but I ended up liking a Reverend Drivetrain II much better, and sold the Tubescreamer because it did what the TS did plus some. It has more balls and versatility without as much overkill on the midrange . If you are looking for more of a distortion based pedal, I highly recommend MI Audio Crunchbox. I don't use the Crunchbox often, but it is a pedal that I doubt I will ever get rid of. Another option is "Robert Keeley" modded pedals. He mods "off-the shelf" pedals and improves upon their deficiencies with using better parts. You can buy a new pedal direct from him or send an existing pedal to be modded. His compressor is fantastic. His website is Robertkeeley.com. You can tell him what you are looking to achieve and he can point you in the right direction. He has done some great mods on the basic Boss DS1 Distortion, Rat , etc. I've had pedals modded by him and have never been dissatisfied.

Anyone here ever built a guitar? I'm not talking about planing ash in your wood shop or anything, just assembling a guitar from parts. I've decided to take a swing at putting together a Part-o-caster. Never done it before and know very little about the inner workings of a guitar, so this could be fun or a complete disaster/money pit. Thankfully, I know a guy who was a professional guitar tech, so I have him as back-up, but I'm going to take a run at screwing this up on my own first.

For a first step, I picked up this completely thrashed (I'm guessing intentionally so) strat body: http://imageshack.us/a/img715/6752/imageeez.jpg

Has anyone ever done this before? Any words of wisdom or cautionary tales?
I'm building a telecaster in my garage. I'm about 60% done. I bought a beat up tele body and a nice All Parts neck, and have done the full nitrocellulose lacquer paint job. It didn't finish final coats or the pick guard (lacquering that too like the oldies) before it got cold so I'm waiting for summer to complete the finish and assembly. I'm also attempting to install a Bigsby B5 tremolo on it. Probably a terrible idea to try and do all this for my first guitar build, but that is the guitar I want, so I figured I would go for it.

'Apple Jack said:

Beck is obviously one of a kind and phenomenal, but I'm just not a fan of tremolo in most contexts/tones, including most of what he does with it. I know...blasphemous. I might be the only one who feels that way. Adrian uses it as much more of a textural tool than most do. Where is doesn't just sound good, but in hindsight ends up sounding almost necessary.

Oats...Twin. Except no substitutes.
Check out the BSIAB2 (brown sound in a box). It was designed to make a fender sound like a Marshall. They work really well together.

Here's an example.

Oh yeah, if anyone wants to give me guitar lessons, just shoot me a PM.
Would be kind if cool if we all did lessons together. Go through the standards (like Autumn Leaves and all that stuff) and learn them one at a time, post vids, discuss the theory, etc.

Would be kind if cool if we all did lessons together. Go through the standards (like Autumn Leaves and all that stuff) and learn them one at a time, post vids, discuss the theory, etc.
Lessons via group video chat?
I was thinking more like this week here is our assignment, here is the music, and we all learn it, practice it, post tracks, discuss questions and theory etc. Feels less ####.

I was thinking more like this week here is our assignment, here is the music, and we all learn it, practice it, post tracks, discuss questions and theory etc. Feels less ####.
I would be up for this. Is it bad that I don't know what autumn leaves is? Will google. Also, I'd do the gay video chat.

bag

Anyone here ever built a guitar? I'm not talking about planing ash in your wood shop or anything, just assembling a guitar from parts. I've decided to take a swing at putting together a Part-o-caster. Never done it before and know very little about the inner workings of a guitar, so this could be fun or a complete disaster/money pit. Thankfully, I know a guy who was a professional guitar tech, so I have him as back-up, but I'm going to take a run at screwing this up on my own first.

For a first step, I picked up this completely thrashed (I'm guessing intentionally so) strat body: http://imageshack.us/a/img715/6752/imageeez.jpg

Has anyone ever done this before? Any words of wisdom or cautionary tales?
I'm building a telecaster in my garage. I'm about 60% done. I bought a beat up tele body and a nice All Parts neck, and have done the full nitrocellulose lacquer paint job. It didn't finish final coats or the pick guard (lacquering that too like the oldies) before it got cold so I'm waiting for summer to complete the finish and assembly. I'm also attempting to install a Bigsby B5 tremolo on it. Probably a terrible idea to try and do all this for my first guitar build, but that is the guitar I want, so I figured I would go for it.
Awesome! Shoot some photos and post them here.

'Britney Spears said:
'Otis said:
'bigbottom said:
'Otis said:
'Britney Spears said:
I would be up for this. Is it bad that I don't know what autumn leaves is? Will google. Also, I'd do the gay video chat.

bag

String gauge... what is your preference?

I use .011 (D'Addario or DR lites) for acoustic and I'm trying to find strings I like for electric. Right now I have D'Addario 11s (wound from the G) on my electric but also have a set of Ernie Ball regular slinky (10-46) and a set of Ernie Ball super slinky (9-42) that I haven't tried yet. Bending the Ernie Balls should be easier, but are they harder to keep in tune... and is the tone different for the lighter guage strings..

My styles of choice are blues and rock. Don't care much for metal or have much need for "shredding" like Dimebag. I currently have a Les Paul but always in the market for other choices.

I use 11s on my acoustic. 10s on my electric although I went through a phase where I would buy a heavier gauge for e, a, d and use a ligjtwr gauge for g, b, e. more troublethanit was worth.

Used 11's for years, but switched to 10's due to some wrist issues and got used to them after a month or so without any problems. I actually have one guitar that I bought equipped with 9.5's and liked the way it played with them. I tried the 9.5's on other guitars and didn't like it, but keep 9.5's on the one guitar. I also use 11's on one guitar primarily used for slide.

I would be up for this. Is it bad that I don't know what autumn leaves is? Will google.Also, I'd do the gay video chat.bag
Would be in for this. Might give me some incentive to play more often.

I would be up for this. Is it bad that I don't know what autumn leaves is? Will google.Also, I'd do the gay video chat.

bag
That's it. Basically learning all of the jazz standards is the way that many (most in my experience?) guitar teachers go about teaching guitar. You learn theory, chords, melody, improvisation, and all that good stuff. Plus once you know the standards, if you get into a room with a bunch of other trained musicians, people can just spit out names of the standards and you can all jam on them.

Seems like a good vehicle for learning. My teacher in high school used to mix it up by teaching me the standards but also alternating with stuff that was "cooler" for a 16 year old (a GnR song here and there, etc.). He was good at spending time in the middle ground by picking cool lesser known rock songs that had a jazz feel by a guitar legend (one of my favorites was Europa by Santana, which is sort of a rock/jazz song and made an awesome teaching tool, and it's a great song, and Santana is the man).

I would be up for this. Is it bad that I don't know what autumn leaves is? Will google.Also, I'd do the gay video chat.

bag
Sure. And just as in Jazz, there are rock standards that plenty of people know, as well.

I use the DR Pure Blues 10s.

Colin> These a great strings, cheap and they give you the heavier /lighter mix without having to do it yourself.

Any new CL purchases, O?
Just today pulled the trigger on a guitar I've been lusting after.

My main axe right now is the Yamaha SA2200. What a guitar. I'm looking to add to the collection Heritage 535/555 and more recently an Ibanez JSM100 (the John Scofield signature model).

After trolling CL, eBay and other for weeks for the JSM100, I was near ready to pull the trigger on one used -- they seem to go generally in the $1800+ range used. I checked in on my usual troll through new eBay listings during my train ride home tonight, and I see one for under $1400 with free shipping. Couldn't hit the Buy It Now button fast enough. The best part is I just sold off a Gibson SG that I bought and never played and an Eastman hollowbody that I haven't touched in months, and those two funded this purchase completely.

Pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/jazzrat/Ibanez%20JSM100%20Scofield/DSC01429.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/jazzrat/Ibanez%20JSM100%20Scofield/DSC01436.jpg

Can't wait to get it...

How's your Partscaster build coming along, BB?

Nice!

Need some help. Gibson used to make a guitar for a jazz guy NOT named Howard benson. Michael ward (wallflowers) played it in the video for one headlight. It's basically a hollow body halfway between the size of an Es135 and a les Paul.

Having trouble remembering the name of th model.

Nice!Need some help. Gibson used to make a guitar for a jazz guy NOT named Howard benson. Michael ward (wallflowers) played it in the video for one headlight. It's basically a hollow body halfway between the size of an Es135 and a les Paul.Having trouble remembering the name of th model.
Larry Carlton? Though I think his was an ES335.

By the way, the Gibson semi-hollows are, to the guys in the know, typically of much lower quality than other cheaper options, and way overpriced for what you get. These Japanese premium semi-hollows blow them out of the water. Another great option are Heritage guitars, which are made by the guys at the old Gibson plant (former Gibson employees who didn't move with the company when Gibson moved). They are supposedly better quality than the Gibson counterparts and a bunch cheaper. Never played one, but they're next on my list of guitars to add to the collection.

Turns out in guitars, like everything else, label whores pay more for less...

Nice!

Need some help. Gibson used to make a guitar for a jazz guy NOT named Howard benson. Michael ward (wallflowers) played it in the video for one headlight. It's basically a hollow body halfway between the size of an Es135 and a les Paul.

Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion? :shrug: Pic
That's it. Thanks. I'd love to grab one of those since I can't afford a '55 double cutaway junior.

Nice!

Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion? :shrug: Pic
That's it. Thanks. I'd love to grab one of those since I can't afford a '55 double cutaway junior.
Yours for only $2500

http://bit.ly/11y4kW2

Users who are viewing this thread