What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Guitar Guys Thread -- all axes, all the time (1 Viewer)

Everyone has an opinion. I always recommend to start on acoustic. It’s physically harder and if you can adequately play acoustic you can easily play electric and the inverse is certainly not true. It hurts your fingers regardless. Pretty much all of the classic guitar greats have been quoted as saying something to the effect of... “know the acoustic and be good on acoustic”. The acoustic is so much more organically dynamic it practically forces you to play with soul, touch and dynamics. I can’t say the same for electric. I learned on acoustic so I’m definitely biased but I will also add that all the bad ### guitarists I know also are very good on acoustic. Just my opinion. 
Agree with this. I'd look at a Seagull S6. You can probably find one used for $250-$300. If that's too much, look at the Yamaha FG-800. 

I unexpectedly found a deal on a new Orange Brent Hinds Terror amp for $300, so at that price I bought first and asked questions later.  One of the questions I should have asked before purchasing is does an "amp head" make sound.  Most, if not all, of you know the answer is no.  So now I need to buy a speaker cabinet.  Any recommendations on something I can find used for sub $200?  I just need it for office play so it doesn't need to be ultra powerful.  

I unexpectedly found a deal on a new Orange Brent Hinds Terror amp for $300, so at that price I bought first and asked questions later.  One of the questions I should have asked before purchasing is does an "amp head" make sound.  Most, if not all, of you know the answer is no.  So now I need to buy a speaker cabinet.  Any recommendations on something I can find used for sub $200?  I just need it for office play so it doesn't need to be ultra powerful.  
:lmao:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F274164736185

Any of you guitar guys also Phish/Dead fans? I’ve been playing guitar for about 27 years now and while I’ve certainly learned my fair share of covers in that time, it’s only been recently that I’ve been learning covers essentially note for  note.  I’ve written enough original material and riffs that I now find great joy in learning a cover song as exactly as I can learn it.  Beginning this summer I started learning more Dead and Phish. It’s been challenging and fun!

For any of you Phish fans, tonight I learned Colonel Forbin’s Ascent. I learned Lizards a few months back and that was fun. I’d say Forbins was easier to learn. Fee is another fun one to learn.

Anywho, let’s talk Phish/Dead! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Played a big show last night and were joined on stage for 11 songs by Wendell Cox, Travis Tritt’s guitar player for 30+ years. It was a total blast! 

edit: https://imgur.com/a/SUcAW8H

(Wendell Cox is the guy in the middle - i.e., the one who looks like a professional guitar player.)

p.s. As a very cool aside, we had a packed house and A.J. Hinch came out to the show. 

Played a big show last night and were joined on stage for 11 songs by Wendell Cox, Travis Tritt’s guitar player for 30+ years. It was a total blast! 

(Wendell Cox is the guy in the middle - i.e., the one who looks like a professional guitar player.)

p.s. As a very cool aside, we had a packed house and A.J. Hinch came out to the show. 
That's really cool man!  Super cool in fact.  I'm guessing you're the guy on the far right (purely guessing).

@WetDreamGonna need an Offdee rating, please.

Word is that he had a great time.  I'm glad given what happened today.  He is beloved in this town.

With all this time trapped indoors, what better to do than play some guitar?

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a nice new amp setup and new guitar.  Looking hard at this Mesa Boogie Mark 5: 25 setup (guy has just countered at what feels like a good price, I just have to click "go"), along with a nice new PRS, maybe a McCarty or Santana model.  I figure if I'm gonna be stuck inside, I might as well pick back up the guitar and see if I can get playing again. Worst case I don't and this is the kind of gear I can sell in a couple years for not a whole lot less than what I paid.

With all this time trapped indoors, what better to do than play some guitar?

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a nice new amp setup and new guitar.  Looking hard at this Mesa Boogie Mark 5: 25 setup (guy has just countered at what feels like a good price, I just have to click "go"), along with a nice new PRS, maybe a McCarty or Santana model.  I figure if I'm gonna be stuck inside, I might as well pick back up the guitar and see if I can get playing again. Worst case I don't and this is the kind of gear I can sell in a couple years for not a whole lot less than what I paid.
Unsolicited advice: don’t buy that rig. Get a a Kemper profiling amp instead. 

https://youtu.be/rjNn2ZWZ1SM

With a Kemper, you can have that Mesa. You can also have a Fender Twin. And every boutique amp you’ve ever wanted. The other two guitar players in my band have stupid money invested in gear. They probably have 60-70 high end guitars between them and used to have a ton of money tied up in a bunch of different rigs. I’m talking uber-expensive boutique rigs. For the last three years, they’ve played exclusively through their Kempers, both live and at practice. Kempers sound incredible and can pretty much do anything. It’s used by a ton of gigging pros. 

Unsolicited advice: don’t buy that rig. Get a a Kemper profiling amp instead. 

https://youtu.be/rjNn2ZWZ1SM

With a Kemper, you can have that Mesa. You can also have a Fender Twin. And every boutique amp you’ve ever wanted. The other two guitar players in my band have stupid money invested in gear. They probably have 60-70 high end guitars between them and used to have a ton of money tied up in a bunch of different rigs. I’m talking uber-expensive boutique rigs. For the last three years, they’ve played exclusively through their Kempers, both live and at practice. Kempers sound incredible and can pretty much do anything. It’s used by a ton of gigging pros. 
Not going to speak for Otis, but I'm guessing the aesthetics/cool factor may play a part in considering the amp he linked.  :shrug:  

ETA:  And don't mean that in a negative way at all.

Not going to speak for Otis, but I'm guessing the aesthetics/cool factor may play a part in considering the amp he linked.  :shrug:  
Yes, but that's an outdated and out of touch sentiment, to be honest.  Sound techs, gearheads, and pro musicians all salivate over the Kempers when we play live (make no mistake, a Kemper rig is expensive).  No one is going gaga over boutique amp rigs anymore (much less, Mesa rigs).  Kempers aren't the same thing as Line 6.

Yes, but that's an outdated and out of touch sentiment, to be honest.  Sound techs, gearheads, and pro musicians all salivate over the Kempers when we play live (make no mistake, a Kemper rig is expensive).  No one is going gaga over boutique amp rigs anymore (much less, Mesa rigs).  Kempers aren't the same thing as Line 6.
Oh no, not questioning the versatility and quality of a Kemper at all.  I've watched all of those Anderton's videos.  :)   How does it look sitting in the Otis man cave?  I didn't get the idea he would be gigging it.  That is the only point I was bringing up, and again, Otis can speak for himself.

Oh no, not questioning the versatility and quality of a Kemper at all.  I've watched all of those Anderton's videos.  :)   How does it look sitting in the Otis man cave?  I didn't get the idea he would be gigging it.  That is the only point I was bringing up, and again, Otis can speak for himself.
Yeah, if he's looking for a cool piece of furniture, the Kemper isn't going to fit the bill (though he can still buy a cool vintage cab shell and install FRFR speakers in them).  But I know how much he misses his Fender Twin.  The Kemper gets him that, the Mesa, and nearly any other amp rig he wants.

Darn, just now saw all this exchange that happened before I pulled the trigger. Got the Mesa for a great deal. I used to have a MB and it was the best sounding amp I ever had — the tone and warmth was off the charts. And what I had was nothing like the Mark V.  Always been a little suspect of those digital modeling amps (I assume that’s what a Kemper is), but heck maybe I’ll pick one up later too!

But that’s not why we’re here. Reporting in that someone on Reverb just accepted my lowball offer for this baby:  https://reverb.com/item/32845711-prs-mccarty-singlecut-594-faded-whale-blue-w-ohsc-296-used

So, RockOtis open for business soon. Oh baby!

Darn, just now saw all this exchange that happened before I pulled the trigger. Got the Mesa for a great deal. I used to have a MB and it was the best sounding amp I ever had — the tone and warmth was off the charts. And what I had was nothing like the Mark V.  Always been a little suspect of those digital modeling amps (I assume that’s what a Kemper is), but heck maybe I’ll pick one up later too!

But that’s not why we’re here. Reporting in that someone on Reverb just accepted my lowball offer for this baby:  https://reverb.com/item/32845711-prs-mccarty-singlecut-594-faded-whale-blue-w-ohsc-296-used

So, RockOtis open for business soon. Oh baby!
The Mark V is a cool amp no doubt. But seriously look into the Kemper. Yes, it’s a digital modeling amp, but there is no reason to be suspect. Pros are using them regularly. Don’t be fooled by the amps you see on stage. Those are often just for show. Of course, a Kemper rig will likely set you back $3500+, so we’re not talking about a bargain solution here. 

Just parking this here so I don't lose it:  https://youtu.be/22mWUkAi0PI

It's been years since I played electric, and back then we didn't have Youtube and all these awesome backing band tracks!  Looking forward to having some fun when everything arrives.

The Mark V is a cool amp no doubt. But seriously look into the Kemper. Yes, it’s a digital modeling amp, but there is no reason to be suspect. Pros are using them regularly. Don’t be fooled by the amps you see on stage. Those are often just for show. Of course, a Kemper rig will likely set you back $3500+, so we’re not talking about a bargain solution here. 
Woah!  And I can definitely see how this could be useful for you BB, and other folks who regularly gig.  You can just hit a button song to song and get the sound and tone you need.  Seems pretty cool.

bigbottom said:
Whoa. Super cool!  Is that you on lead?
Wow, no joke.  That's an awesome band.  Kind of Phish-like.  Great playing all around.   Sounds fantastic. 

Wow, no joke.  That's an awesome band.  Kind of Phish-like.  Great playing all around.   Sounds fantastic. 
We were a phish/dead cover band, and played a few others- allman bros, Floyd, but primarily phish and the dead. And Zappa of course

We were a phish/dead cover band, and played a few others- allman bros, Floyd, but primarily phish and the dead. And Zappa of course
It's not easy to be a Phish cover band.  Really, really not easy.  Takes some serious chops all around.

Eric, the tall guitar player, has a sweet amp with a built in Leslie speaker- it doesn’t have a lot of utility really but it looks cool and sounds great, just hard to mix in a live setting. His dad built it, I can’t remember the amp in there. 

Man, for the first time ever, we videoed our last show.  I was thinking of cutting it up and positing a few songs, but I'm totally intimidated now by the sonic experience of Snorkelson's jam band!

Otis said:
Woah!  And I can definitely see how this could be useful for you BB, and other folks who regularly gig.  You can just hit a button song to song and get the sound and tone you need.  Seems pretty cool.
Indeed.  Remember that Fender Twin you miss?  How about a Bogner?  Or a Dr. Z?  A vintage Vox?  They could all be yours!

But yeah, $2,275 for the 600-Watt Kemper Profiler Power Head, $469 for the foot controller, and $600-$1,000 for a good full range flat response (FRFR) speaker, and you're looking at $3,300 - $3,700.

Users who are viewing this thread