What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Guitar Guys Thread -- all axes, all the time (2 Viewers)

I guess there's a reason the jazz standards, like Autumn Leaves, are used as teaching tools. More basic lead lines I suppose.

I guess there's a reason the jazz standards, like Autumn Leaves, are used as teaching tools. More basic lead lines I suppose.
Yes, there is that. But they also teach a lot of theory without it being a pain. Learning jazz standards is a great way to (subconsciously) start learning about how certain chords relate to each other. Jazz also uses a wider variety of variations (particularly 7ths) than other styles.

Yes, there is that. But they also teach a lot of theory without it being a pain. Learning jazz standards is a great way to (subconsciously) start learning about how certain chords relate to each other. Jazz also uses a wider variety of variations (particularly 7ths) than other styles.
And furthermore, it's fascinating that even listening to something like Chopin is much different once you immerse yourself in jazz theory.

bb, that's so cool. I'm jealous! What do you guys play, country, rock, mix? And does the guy on your left have a Tele that's for lefties but he restrung it Hendrix-style?

bb, that's so cool. I'm jealous! What do you guys play, country, rock, mix? And does the guy on your left have a Tele that's for lefties but he restrung it Hendrix-style?
Looks like a right handed guitar with a left handed neck strung for a rightie.
You're right I think, upon another look. Even cooler.
It's actually a John Bolin custom. He's a luthier from Idaho who has done a bunch of customs for Billy Gibbons, as well as Jimmy Page, Keith Richards and others. Our other guitarist owns this Bolin guitar, which is pictured on the jacket for our EP: http://www.seymourduncan.com/news/newsletter/2008-winter/custom_guitar_s_4/ It's light as a feather. The far right guitar in the photos is a Fano, that our other guitarist modded by drilling a metal John Deere tractor label to the front: http://www.fanoguitars.com/altdefactoSP6.html

I'm playing a boring American Deluxe Strat.

As for the music, our originals are probably best characterized as southern blues rock. At our shows, we play covers ranging from country to classic rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a right handed guitar with a left handed neck strung for a rightie.
You're right I think, upon another look. Even cooler.
It's actually a John Bolin custom. He's a luthier from Idaho who has done a bunch of customs for Billy Gibbons, as well as Jimmy Page, Keith Richards and others. Our other guitarist owns this Bolin guitar, which is pictured on the jacket for our EP: http://www.seymourduncan.com/news/newsletter/2008-winter/custom_guitar_s_4/ It's light as a feather.The far right guitar in the photos is a Fano, that our other guitarist modded by drilling a metal John Deere tractor label to the front: http://www.fanoguitars.com/altdefactoSP6.html

I'm playing a boring American Deluxe Strat.

As for the music, our originals are probably best characterized as southern blues rock. At our shows, we play covers ranging from country to classic rock.
Awesome, just awesome. I recently thought about modding a Rick bass into a five-string but went in another direction after consulting with some luthiers.

An EP too! Now I'm even more jealous. Good luck with it, man.

First time in this thread. My 7 yr old just started lessons and I'm wanting to learn along with him. Any recommendations on an fairly cheap acoustic for me?

Probably a thread for this, but since this one's up. Temporary hijack. Getting a first guitar for a 14 year old with 6 years of piano/keyboard lessons. Electric has been requested but not a must. Keep it under or very close to $500. What do I get? Amazon preferred. Thanks.

First time in this thread. My 7 yr old just started lessons and I'm wanting to learn along with him. Any recommendations on an fairly cheap acoustic for me?
Weird, didn't see this before posting. :hifive:

I saw Santana do BMW last weekend, so to unhijack, I offer to judge your efforts and not mention beginner guitars again.

Probably a thread for this, but since this one's up. Temporary hijack. Getting a first guitar for a 14 year old with 6 years of piano/keyboard lessons. Electric has been requested but not a must. Keep it under or very close to $500. What do I get? Amazon preferred. Thanks.
Get him an acoustic. Yamaha should make some decent stuff under $250. Tell him if he sticks with it for a year you will buy him an electric.

Get him an acoustic. Yamaha should make some decent stuff under $250. Tell him if he sticks with it for a year you will buy him an electric.
This is how my dad did it. And right at that same age (13 actually). Paid for lessons and gave me a year to learn. At the end of the year, I had to put on a "recital". I think I performed 5-6 songs. The next day he took me to the store and bought me an incredible American-made Strat that I still own today. It was a good approach.

For younger kids, however, like Fiddle's 7-year-old, an acoustic can be incredibly difficult to play. The action and string width requires a much greater degree of finger strength. The learning curve is higher, and thus kids give up at a greater rate when starting on an acoustic (totally anecdotal).

I suck at the quote feature, but when i saw the three guitarists, I immediately thought of Skynyrd and Molly Hatchett.

Can anyone recommend a decent multi-effects pedal. Something like this ZOOM for around $100?
I'd grab a Pod off of craigslist.
Seconded. Don't buy new. Go on CL or eBay and save a bunch of money on something like this.
Thirded. And the Pods are pretty cool.
Which model have you owned or tried?
I have the Pocket POD that I use when I play with headphones. Pretty cool and the modeling is decent.

Can anyone recommend a decent multi-effects pedal. Something like this ZOOM for around $100?
I'd grab a Pod off of craigslist.
Seconded. Don't buy new. Go on CL or eBay and save a bunch of money on something like this.
Thirded. And the Pods are pretty cool.
Which model have you owned or tried?
I have the Pocket POD that I use when I play with headphones. Pretty cool and the modeling is decent.
Sweet!

bigbottom said:
Abraham said:
Chaos Commish said:
This is how my dad did it. And right at that same age (13 actually). Paid for lessons and gave me a year to learn. At the end of the year, I had to put on a "recital". I think I performed 5-6 songs. The next day he took me to the store and bought me an incredible American-made Strat that I still own today. It was a good approach.
I was going along with this thinking yesterday and ordered an Epiphone PR 150 $140 acoustic knowing there was plenty in the budget to get her an electric also. Listened to it on Youtube and read several reviews from real players. Should be fine for a first guitar. Her middle school Concert Orchestra final concert was last night. Being a bad dad it was the first one I attended this year (missed two). She's so improved I offered to step up on a serious keyboard or piano, but she wants the electric guitar, and her teacher recommends it over the acoustic.

It's all good. But my hyperfocus ADD has me lost in this topic since my post yesterday. Guitars are cool. I tried to learn to play in college but it was too hard for my interest level. That's probably changed. I am currently unemployed with nothing but time on my hands. I might be retired. I can't decide. I'm ordering a couple cheap guitars to modify and some parts and kits and stuff. I've pretty much got the order set but will listen if anyone has thoughts to offer.

What I need advice on is an amp. An amp my kid can use in her bedroom peacefully (headphones likely being key here). I looked into and listened to this 5 watt Bugera enough yesterday to feel safe getting one. There was a Fender that may make more sense. That would be about my max price ($200) for an amp.

I'm going to build some guitars and live Otis's dream of an early retirement for a couple months. I'm just going to do it on a Chinese knock off budget so low that even fancy brand hostile Oat would not approve. :)

Cheap decent amp?

Do you want the amp to have things like built in effects and a tuner? Honestly, I don't know much about small practice amps as I've never really researched them (my amps I've owned and use are likely bigger than your needs). My kid has both a small Orange solid state and a small Line 6, each under $200. They are both adequate and have the benefit of on board effects (distortion, chorus, flange, reverb, etc.) and a built-in tuner (very handy). But if you're after good tube tone, I imagine the stripped down 5w Bugera is a good way to go.

Do you want the amp to have things like built in effects and a tuner? Honestly, I don't know much about small practice amps as I've never really researched them (my amps I've owned and use are likely bigger than your needs). My kid has both a small Orange solid state and a small Line 6, each under $200. They are both adequate and have the benefit of on board effects (distortion, chorus, flange, reverb, etc.) and a built-in tuner (very handy). But if you're after good tube tone, I imagine the stripped down 5w Bugera is a good way to go.
I don't know. No doubt the 500+ sounds available on her keyboard have kept her tinkling when the piano became boring. I love surf guitar and it's rubbed off an her, so reverb and old school tubes seemed fun. I'd like it to sound great at low volumes and keep her attention. I'm talking myself into getting two. The one I linked and something with more toys. Who knows, maybe we'll take lessons together this summer and need both.

My nephew bought a Gibson SG a few years ago and never touches it.

I don't know. No doubt the 500+ sounds available on her keyboard have kept her tinkling when the piano became boring. I love surf guitar and it's rubbed off an her, so reverb and old school tubes seemed fun. I'd like it to sound great at low volumes and keep her attention. I'm talking myself into getting two. The one I linked and something with more toys. Who knows, maybe we'll take lessons together this summer and need both.

For low budget and low volume, stay away from tube amps. You probably already knew that. The small Line 6 has a nice range of effects to play with. That would be my suggestion.

For low budget and low volume, stay away from tube amps. You probably already knew that. The small Line 6 has a nice range of effects to play with. That would be my suggestion.
I didn't know that but it makes sense from what I read yesterday. Fwiw, the little 5w I linked has an attenuator that allows it to sound the same at any volume. Youtube confirms this, so maybe they've worked around the issue.

I should probably start a new thread or use the gmtan rather than keep hijacking this one, but I printed a Telecaster template and just disassembled a 50 year old Mahogany dresser. It's gonna be like the Red Violin I tell ya. I need a job.

I didn't know that but it makes sense from what I read yesterday. Fwiw, the little 5w I linked has an attenuator that allows it to sound the same at any volume. Youtube confirms this, so maybe they've worked around the issue.
Oh, I didn't know that. THey used to put "Slave" settings on big stack tube amps but it never sounded right at lower volume. My experience has been that tube amps sound better loud, but it has admittedly been a while since I've dug in to it.

What kind of pickups are in those? Looks like there could be some redundancy here. Better dump one and get one of these.
I'm in love with semi hollows these days. Going to add a Gibson and Heritage to the collection and stop there. Hang them on the wall in my mancave/home office/home studio one day. But yes I need to add back an acoustic one day, and also a nice PRS artist series. Maybe a strat just because. One day.

Just bought a Line 6 POD 2.0 box used on ebay for $100. Pretty good deal considering it retails new for over $200.

I get your point BB and will take into consideration as level of difficulty increases. The finger arching is tough for him but just assumed it was foreign for any aged beginner. Thanks.

I get your point BB and will take into consideration as level of difficulty increases. The finger arching is tough for him but just assumed it was foreign for any aged beginner. Thanks.
this thread inspired me to pick up my guitar; the finger arcing is tough for me too.

I don't know. No doubt the 500+ sounds available on her keyboard have kept her tinkling when the piano became boring. I love surf guitar and it's rubbed off an her, so reverb and old school tubes seemed fun. I'd like it to sound great at low volumes and keep her attention. I'm talking myself into getting two. The one I linked and something with more toys. Who knows, maybe we'll take lessons together this summer and need both. My nephew bought a Gibson SG a few years ago and never touches it.
I didn't know that but it makes sense from what I read yesterday. Fwiw, the little 5w I linked has an attenuator that allows it to sound the same at any volume. Youtube confirms this, so maybe they've worked around the issue. I should probably start a new thread or use the gmtan rather than keep hijacking this one, but I printed a Telecaster template and just disassembled a 50 year old Mahogany dresser. It's gonna be like the Red Violin I tell ya. I need a job.
Sounds like you might be a tinkerer?You can put together a linear volume pot very easily to act as a master volume override. So you can turn up the tube amp and get it to break up, etc. but actually keep the volume from blowing your ears out.I did this with my Fender Deluxe (which has a very sensitive volume control) so I could play at low volumes. We have a 1 year old boy. The parts are very cheap at Radio Shack, and its like 4 points of solder and some drilling. Very easy. Just a thought.

I should probably start a new thread or use the gmtan rather than keep hijacking this one, but I printed a Telecaster template and just disassembled a 50 year old Mahogany dresser. It's gonna be like the Red Violin I tell ya. I need a job.
Sounds like you might be a tinkerer?You can put together a linear volume pot very easily to act as a master volume override. So you can turn up the tube amp and get it to break up, etc. but actually keep the volume from blowing your ears out.

I did this with my Fender Deluxe (which has a very sensitive volume control) so I could play at low volumes. We have a 1 year old boy.

The parts are very cheap at Radio Shack, and its like 4 points of solder and some drilling. Very easy.

Just a thought.
Serial tinkerer with $20k+ in tools. I once owned an RV repair shop, lost the business, kept the tools.

Thanks for the idea. I ordered a solid state amp yesterday, but this sounds interesting for later if we really get into this.

The Epiphone acoustic for the kid will be here tomorrow. First lesson is Thursday. I bought her this fake Strat for $90. Reading the reviews sold me on that cheapie over a dozen other cheapies. Better reviewers think the bridge is the weakness. I found a used but never played Fender branded bridge and tuners off a Mexican Strat for $30. I chose a Fender Mustang I amp for $100. So I set her up with more than expected just under $500. An upgraded set of single coil pickups may be needed (Youtube listening for hours and hours on these Chinese instruments).

For me, I took apart the old dresser (my departed dad's btw) and brought the wood to a shop for jointing. I glued up two solid body sized blanks of pure mahogany, two with half inch ash middles, and I have two 1.5 inch thick one piecers that should work with quarter inch maple tops. 5 will cure for now. One of the ash combos will be my first attempt at a Tele (soon as next week). I purchased an ashtray bridge cut for a humbucker, these pickups, gonna hold out for an ebony neck and the other bits. This should be fun. My hope is to copy John 5's from the vid here. Keeping it relatively simple.

Thursday I wouldn't have understood what I just typed.

Let me know when you're ready for that Strat, Otis.

It was this or keep building firearms.

(or getting a job)

Users who are viewing this thread