What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Guitar Guys Thread -- all axes, all the time (1 Viewer)

coyote5 said:
Chaos Commish said:
Music room progress. Worked well past midnight on a dark desert evening. I'm in the desert. My backyard. Hot, brutally dry climate. This room doesn't have heating or ac, but it's close enough for me to connect to the house system. One vent should handle it. I thought about just putting a unit in that broken window. Kid says window ACs are ghetto, and it doesn't work with the sound plug idea.

I drilled small holes in the doors and walls and filled them with expanding foam. Used a dozen cans inserting the little straw into the cavities. Worked great but for blowing out the mouse hole and a couple leaky spots to the outside that I'm glad are filled but messed up a nice sidewalk. Very noticeable sound deadening and excellent much needed insulation. We can barely hear a knock on the walls from the adjoining garage. That stuff is horrid to get on you or off of anything, btw. It is aggressively expansive too. One can goes a long way. Help never arrived, so I cut the sheetrock into 4x4's and hung it myself. I was going to tape and mud today, but an engineer rocket scientist neighbor thinks I should glue up heavy foam and carpet the ceiling. If this room's a rocking, don't bother knockin'? I have a couple remnants that will do the job in blah beige, just not so sure about this yet. He approved the foam fill but said my ceiling was "a loudspeaker". Anyway, this foam was very simple and effective sound deadening if not quite soundproofing. Wow, it's 11am and I'm just getting coffee. I kind of like being accidentally retired.
Awesome view from your backyard! Anyway, if you have other rooms that share a wall with your new music room, I don't think you're going to get the kind of sound deadening you're expecting. If there aren't any rooms, or it's just your garage maybe that won't be a big deal to you.
3 outside walls, 1 has the garage on the other side. Connecting the ac vent is going to pipe sound through the house though. Oof.
Unfortunately yes...

Chaos Commish said:
Music room progress. Worked well past midnight on a dark desert evening. I'm in the desert. My backyard. Hot, brutally dry climate. This room doesn't have heating or ac, but it's close enough for me to connect to the house system. One vent should handle it. I thought about just putting a unit in that broken window. Kid says window ACs are ghetto, and it doesn't work with the sound plug idea.

I drilled small holes in the doors and walls and filled them with expanding foam. Used a dozen cans inserting the little straw into the cavities. Worked great but for blowing out the mouse hole and a couple leaky spots to the outside that I'm glad are filled but messed up a nice sidewalk. Very noticeable sound deadening and excellent much needed insulation. We can barely hear a knock on the walls from the adjoining garage. That stuff is horrid to get on you or off of anything, btw. It is aggressively expansive too. One can goes a long way. Help never arrived, so I cut the sheetrock into 4x4's and hung it myself. I was going to tape and mud today, but an engineer rocket scientist neighbor thinks I should glue up heavy foam and carpet the ceiling. If this room's a rocking, don't bother knockin'? I have a couple remnants that will do the job in blah beige, just not so sure about this yet. He approved the foam fill but said my ceiling was "a loudspeaker". Anyway, this foam was very simple and effective sound deadening if not quite soundproofing. Wow, it's 11am and I'm just getting coffee. I kind of like being accidentally retired.
Holy crap your backyard is awesome.

I need to move.
My landscaper can hook you up with that redrocks look... ;)

Chaos Commish said:

It's like Red Rocks. Sunday Bloody Sunday!!!

Very cool on the music room. Please keep us updated on the progress and shoot pics if you can. Interested to hear how the expanding foam works.
I shied away from battery powered amps but sitting on those rocks playing at sunset would be fun. Again an acoustic solves things. I don't mind the cheap strat copy, but I wrinkled my snobby nose at that cheapo acoustic I traded away for the SG. As for updates, heatwave hit, so progress will be slowed until ac in that room is addressed. I typically get too focused on a job to remember picture taking, but we'll see. Before and afters for sure.

coyote5 said:
Chaos Commish said:

Awesome view from your backyard! Anyway, if you have other rooms that share a wall with your new music room, I don't think you're going to get the kind of sound deadening you're expecting. If there aren't any rooms, or it's just your garage maybe that won't be a big deal to you.
3 outside walls, 1 has the garage on the other side. Connecting the ac vent is going to pipe sound through the house though. Oof.
Unfortunately yes...
Staying cool but doing research. It's a 12 foot run from the nearest duct. I've ordered a roll of soundproofing foam. I'm going to run 2 48" homemade ductmufflers from the vent I tie into and the new vent. I'm also going to kill sound between them with angles and simple sound bouncing I've been reading about. I'll also make acoustic vents for those two openings. According to what I'm reading I should be able to cut over 60db. Unfortunately, I think progress is stalled until the weather relents or the room is air conditioned. 106 outside atm, and a little hotter in the garage/room

coyote5 said:
Chaos Commish said:

Unfortunately yes...
Staying cool but doing research. It's a 12 foot run from the nearest duct. I've ordered a roll of soundproofing foam. I'm going to run 2 48" homemade ductmufflers from the vent I tie into and the new vent. I'm also going to kill sound between them with angles and simple sound bouncing I've been reading about. I'll also make acoustic vents for those two openings. According to what I'm reading I should be able to cut over 60db. Unfortunately, I think progress is stalled until the weather relents or the room is air conditioned. 106 outside atm, and a little hotter in the garage/room
Good luck, I'm jealous of the space

Chaos Commish said:

Good god I'm jealous of how little yardwork you have.

bigbottom said:
I am totally jealous of all you with these new guitars, but I'm joining in soon.Got my eyes on an old Guild acoustic (dad has a kick-### old Guild jumbo that sounds as good as any acoustic I've ever heard).Couldn't settle on a hollow electric and I think I will get more use from an acoustic. I'd like to find one that's a lifer like my Tele.
A lot of acoustics really do improve in tone as the wood ages. Grab that Guild while the gettin' is good!
Agree. There are some awesome vintage guilds out there. There are also some great vintage Yamaha acoustics. Whatever you do, make sure you get one with a straight neck and which has been kept humidified. All the rest -- dings, scratches, etc. -- are just cosmetic and totally unimportant, and as BB notes, the wood on many of these guys tends to "open up" with time and play and sound even better years down the road. Vintage used gear with some cosmetic flaws are a great place to find steals, just be careful with acoustic instruments as if they haven't been cared for and humidified properly you could have a mess on your hands. GL!
Great posting all around. I have a tendency to be pretty OCD about my guitars. But once you can accept that cosmetic flaws = character, you can find amazing deals on gear. But Otis is right that acoustics must be cared for. So you need to do your homework when buying used.In any event, it sounds like the Guild may be free, so it's all upside.
I probably was unclear about the Guild, but I'm not getting my dads (thankfully though, cause that means he's alive and playing it still). I think the one he has is worth a good amount, maybe $3k or more, as it is one of 51 of that particular Westerly Guild, which was pretty high end back then. I can't afford one like that, but since I love it I'm getting a cheaper $400 D-25, which is their most common dreadnought. Someday I might be able to afford a nicer one, but I think I'm going to go get this one on Thursday. Getting really tough to resist.

I can't stop....

So tempted to pull the trigger on one of these too....

Stunners, and the cocobolo supposedly sounds outstanding
I've played every one of Taylor's shapes and prefer the Grand Auditoriums by a fair margin. It's hard to know what the tonal differences would be between these two. The inlay on the 914 is sweet, so given the choice, I'd go that route. But I don't know that it's worth an extra $500 in and of itself. Personally, for my playing (and I think your playing), the CE is key.

Pull the trigger!

I can't stop....

I've played every one of Taylor's shapes and prefer the Grand Auditoriums by a fair margin. It's hard to know what the tonal differences would be between these two. The inlay on the 914 is sweet, so given the choice, I'd go that route. But I don't know that it's worth an extra $500 in and of itself. Personally, for my playing (and I think your playing), the CE is key.

Pull the trigger!
But I just plunked down for the Taylor custom walnut grand orchestra! Coming in a couple days.

Still, there's nothing wrong with having TWO guitars, is there? And they're very different, so there's always that...

I can't stop....

Pull the trigger!
But I just plunked down for the Taylor custom walnut grand orchestra! Coming in a couple days.

Still, there's nothing wrong with having TWO guitars, is there? And they're very different, so there's always that...
There is no such thing as too many guitars. I have 8 at my house, and I'm building a 9th.

I can't stop....

Pull the trigger!

There is no such thing as too many guitars. I have 8 at my house, and I'm building a 9th.
I've talked about him here before.... A friend of mine has something like 24. I have a Mexitele and Dean Dobro of his at my house because he doesn't have room for everything.

I can't stop....

Pull the trigger!

I've talked about him here before.... A friend of mine has something like 24. I have a Mexitele and Dean Dobro of his at my house because he doesn't have room for everything.
The bass player in my band has the most of anyone I know. I think it's somewhere around 78. Of course, he's spent his career in the music industry working for some of the best in the business.

I can't stop....

Pull the trigger!

Holy crap you are rich!

I can't stop....

Pull the trigger!

Holy crap you are rich!
And just to be clear, I am quite jealous.

I can't stop....

Pull the trigger!

Holy crap you are rich!
And just to be clear, I am quite jealous.
Only way I could justify this in my mind is by saying that I essentially paid for the first guitar with selling off other gear and gambling winnings from Chet. So technically this would be just like buying one guitar with cash.

Sort of.

I'm not sure my wife would see the math that way. :bag:

One of the things about Taylor's and other high end acoustics is that as long as you stay away from the entry level they will hold their value pretty well. As I mentioned, I had a 414ce (I think) that I beat to hell all over Texas and managed to sell it for a bit more than I paid a couple years later. Explain to your wife that it is an investment.

I just received a Baby Taylor I bought used online for 150 bucks just for leaving out of the case and kicking around on the couch and in the yard. This thing is awesome for the money and so playable.

I just received a Baby Taylor I bought used online for 150 bucks just for leaving out of the case and kicking around on the couch and in the yard. This thing is awesome for the money and so playable.
Yes, those are nice.

I've played both Martin and Taylor acoustics and each time I come away liking the Taylor better. I thought maybe it was the particular guitar but every Martin I've played I wasn't comfortable with. Every Taylor I've played I have really liked. Thinking my next acoustic will be the Taylor. I currently have a Fender acoustic... my first acoustic.

I've played both Martin and Taylor acoustics and each time I come away liking the Taylor better. I thought maybe it was the particular guitar but every Martin I've played I wasn't comfortable with. Every Taylor I've played I have really liked. Thinking my next acoustic will be the Taylor. I currently have a Fender acoustic... my first acoustic.
I probably played 100 different acoustics before I bought my (now-sold) Taylor. I never found the appeal of Martin, I just didn't. I greatly preferred the brightness of the Taylor's and the depth of Gibson and Guild. Its hard to explain except to say every time I picked up a Taylor it sounded like the strings were brand new while every martin sounded like the strings were 12 months old in comparison. At first I thought that might have been true, but when you play a few dozen of each spread over months at different stores it quits being a coincidence.

Would love to have a Taylor again.

I probably played 100 different acoustics before I bought my (now-sold) Taylor. I never found the appeal of Martin, I just didn't. I greatly preferred the brightness of the Taylor's and the depth of Gibson and Guild. Its hard to explain except to say every time I picked up a Taylor it sounded like the strings were brand new while every martin sounded like the strings were 12 months old in comparison. At first I thought that might have been true, but when you play a few dozen of each spread over months at different stores it quits being a coincidence.

My dad has a really cool Gibson acoustic, older edition. My request is for him to leave me his guitars, gear, and all his sheet music in his will.

My Martin HD28 was a warm booming instrument. It sounded like a grand piano and really filled a room. The problem is that my taylor was always more player friendly, so much easier to play. I did find some taylors to be a bit bright/shrill for my tastes. The Taylors I'm buying now will I hope be right in the sweet spot between the two. We'll see.

What is this like a parlor guitar or does "baby" just not mean higher end?

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:

No it's a mini size guitar.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/series/baby-taylor
How the hell do you play that guitar with those ham hocks of yours? Do you just mash down all the strings at once?

How the hell do you play that guitar with those ham hocks of yours? Do you just mash down all the strings at once?

It.s an awesome guitar for the money srsly. Especially used.

My plan for this finish is three coats of Truoil lightly sanded three hours apart. Done in half a day. It's how I do rifle stocks, and they're beautiful. I'm not a big fan of filling and painting wood.
Love the copper on that Tele. I do tend to agree, the finish seems to be 95% of the work for this thing, and it has been a bit frustrating. I am putting nitro on the Bakelite pick guard and even that is a challenge to get smooth.
For what it's worth, I just put my first coat of polycrylic water-based satin finish on the distressed body I purchased. I'll let you know how it turns out. I really didn't want to put any finish on it, but the paint patches were tacky.
Just finished some work on the neck. The existing holes didn't match up with those on the body, so I had to cut and sand dowels to plug the holes. Inserted them with epoxy and then sanded the surface smooth. About an hour long project. Would have been shorter but the smallest dowel I could find was twice as big as the hole, so I had to do a fair amount of whittling. Will drill new holes and attach the neck to the body this weekend. Been researching what I want to do for the electronics. Right now I'm leaning toward either a Seymour Duncan '59 or Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (both humbuckers) in the bridge. Will probably go with Texas Specials for the other two pickups. If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears. I'm actually tempted to go with just a bridge pick-up just to be different. Something like this: http://bit.ly/12vftgj

:lmao: No it's a mini size guitar.

$150 does seem very good.

My plan for this finish is three coats of Truoil lightly sanded three hours apart. Done in half a day. It's how I do rifle stocks, and they're beautiful. I'm not a big fan of filling and painting wood.
Love the copper on that Tele. I do tend to agree, the finish seems to be 95% of the work for this thing, and it has been a bit frustrating. I am putting nitro on the Bakelite pick guard and even that is a challenge to get smooth.
For what it's worth, I just put my first coat of polycrylic water-based satin finish on the distressed body I purchased. I'll let you know how it turns out. I really didn't want to put any finish on it, but the paint patches were tacky.
Just finished some work on the neck. The existing holes didn't match up with those on the body, so I had to cut and sand dowels to plug the holes. Inserted them with epoxy and then sanded the surface smooth. About an hour long project. Would have been shorter but the smallest dowel I could find was twice as big as the hole, so I had to do a fair amount of whittling. Will drill new holes and attach the neck to the body this weekend. Been researching what I want to do for the electronics. Right now I'm leaning toward either a Seymour Duncan '59 or Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (both humbuckers) in the bridge. Will probably go with Texas Specials for the other two pickups. If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears. I'm actually tempted to go with just a bridge pick-up just to be different. Something like this: http://bit.ly/12vftgj
I am by no means an expert on this stuff, but a friend has Lollar brand "special" pickups, and they are the coolest sounding tone I've ever heard. Just super full sounding. I am planning on putting them in my Tele at some point when I get that far.

I am by no means an expert on this stuff, but a friend has Lollar brand "special" pickups, and they are the coolest sounding tone I've ever heard. Just super full sounding. I am planning on putting them in my Tele at some point when I get that far.
Interesting thought. The Lollar website has tons of sound clips. Listened to the Special S Series - real throw-back blues tone. Will definitely give it some consideration for middle and neck pups.

Link not working. This thread may end up bankrupting us.
I am terrible at this stuff. Is there a way to share my pictures from Facebook with people not on my friends list? Also feel free to friend me people, I don't really have anything to hide.

$150 does seem very good.
I wish I didn't throw the Epiphone in the SG deal. I'm shopping for another cheap acoustic. I spent some time seeking a Baby Taylor with no luck price wise. We've done over 10 hours practice the last two days (mostly working on chords). My daughter is well ahead of me. She tried to teach me different ways to play the beginning of Ironman tonight. The tendons above my left thumb hurt. Quality father daughter time, lots of laughs. I finally got the one string version to sound... not completely horrible. She's sitting in bed noodling away with headphones. My hand is cramping. If I never learn to play, I know years from now I'll look back on this summer with very fond memories.

Just finished some work on the neck. The existing holes didn't match up with those on the body, so I had to cut and sand dowels to plug the holes. Inserted them with epoxy and then sanded the surface smooth. About an hour long project. Would have been shorter but the smallest dowel I could find was twice as big as the hole, so I had to do a fair amount of whittling.Will drill new holes and attach the neck to the body this weekend. Been researching what I want to do for the electronics. Right now I'm leaning toward either a Seymour Duncan '59 or Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (both humbuckers) in the bridge. Will probably go with Texas Specials for the other two pickups. If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears. I'm actually tempted to go with just a bridge pick-up just to be different. Something like this: http://bit.ly/12vftgj
I am by no means an expert on this stuff, but a friend has Lollar brand "special" pickups, and they are the coolest sounding tone I've ever heard. Just super full sounding.I am planning on putting them in my Tele at some point when I get that far.
Interesting thought. The Lollar website has tons of sound clips. Listened to the Special S Series - real throw-back blues tone. Will definitely give it some consideration for middle and neck pups.
I stopped working on my glue hog bookmatched 2x4 blank because the first time a band saw hit a knot the thing split deep 3/4s across the slab and not on a glue seam. So I have to rethink those. I love the reddish tint the old pine has and it's very lightweight stuff. So I fashioned a blank from some scavanged oak for a second go at my first build. I have two DiMarzio humbuckers for it, but I think I'll save them for a solid Mahogany build or stick them in the China strat if I never finish a build.

If I get it routed and shaped, I think I want to try hand-winding pickups. People make it sound easy and love the results. Seems like something I'm dumb enough to try.

I've left my 310 out of the case for most of the 13 years I've had it. It's resulted in a few party foul (not me) dings, but just cosmetic. Still sounds great, no buzzes, no warps. Just that hideous stain from what I assume came from the glue that holds the furry layer on the inside of the top of the case. It's too much of a pita to keep putting it in the case and taking it out every time I want to pick it up.

ETA: Obviously, I wouldn't do that with a handcrafted guitar like a Borges, Collings, Huss & Dalton, etc.

I would look for a used Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Takamine, or even Seagull on craigslist. And I would avoid just about everything else that is mass produced.

I can get one of these lightly used for $200. I have to decide today.

Also, thoughts on acoustic electrics appreciated.
A few thoughts that should be taken with about a hundred grains of salt:1) Unless you're going to be buying a performance level guitar, I wouldn't really worry about an acoustic-electric at this point. Unless you're performing on stage or jamming with a band, you don't really need to amplify an acoustic. And in a cheap guitar, the electronics are likely to disappoint in any event. You can always use a removable sound hole pick-up if the need arises (I used on on my Martin for years before getting a good Fishman pickup installed.

2) I owned a Fender acoustic a long time ago. It was serviceable. Not sure about this particular model, however, which appears to be on the low end.

3) I know you have some regret about letting the Epiphone go, but you already have two guitars. Acoustics are harder to play and you are struggling to learn on the electric. Additionally, both your daughter and her teacher prefer to use an electric. If I were you, I'd consider working at it for another 8-12 months and then reevaluating. If either you or your daughter are progressing and a jump to the acoustic makes sense, I'd splurge for something even nicer. But I know this is the "pro-purchase" thread, so feel free to disregard.

Thanks. Until this deal popped up, I've been deliberately ignoring acoustic electrics. I'll pass, but again this is more about my kid than me. She fell asleep last night, headphones on, strat in arms. She woke and started playing Brown Eyed Girl quite lovely (and again I regretted letting the acoustic go). She just got back from church with aunt and grandma where praise and worship guitarist dude offered her the Fender. He said the action was similar to the strat, or something like that. It's going on consignment tomorrow. As predicted she isn't crazy about the SG. Loves the sound, but "it bugs" her. The cheap strat sounds like gak at low volume but with the phones it makes her giddy, literally. She put them on my head and crushed Satisfaction yesterday. No exaggeration, she's playing 10-12 hours a day. School's out. Her best friend is gone for the month. It will be 115 here today. What's a kid to do?

Very frustrating that I can't figure out how to post a stupid picture from Facebook. I will get it on Picasa soon, I've just been playing it and haven't copied pictures to my computer.

It's a 72 Guild Acoustic, and its incredible so far. It's got some quirks though, I think due to age, so I think I will have to take it to the tech who set up my Tele (amazing how much it actually makes a difference).

The bridge piece (white insert part, not sure the real name) looks like it was swapped for some ill fitting thing at some point in time, and a couple of the tuning pegs are tighter than they should be, but still work.

The condition of the body is phenomenal. Unbelievable that this thing is over 40 years old. Someone must have stored this untouched for a very long time or they treated it with kid gloves. There are a couple tiny dings and marks from picking but really amazingly few blemishes. I kind of doubt I will be able to be as nice to it.

All in all, I'm very pleased for my first "nice" acoustic and the sound is really clear and deep. Feels like a lifetime purchase. It's solid mahogany (even the top) and it really resounds when you let notes ring out.

Thanks. Until this deal popped up, I've been deliberately ignoring acoustic electrics.
If it makes you feel any better about passing, $200 for a used guitar that you can pick up new for $299 is not really much of a deal.Cool to see that your daughter has the bug. Maybe she'll be the next YouTube sensation!

Been doing a stupid amount of research and listening to sound clips to figure out what to do as far as pickups. Ended up stumbling across this loaded pickguard on EBay and pulled the trigger.

http://imgur.com/60OidGF.jpg

It has a Dimarzio Super Distortion Humbucker in the bridge and two Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's in the middle and neck. Getting those in a loaded pickguard will save me some time in terms of wiring and soldering. Won't really know how it sounds until I drop it in. Buddy gave me a Seymour Duncan stacked humbucker I can drop in if I end up not liking the Dim Super D. But the Super D gets good reviews, so I'm hoping I'll like it.

Been doing a stupid amount of research and listening to sound clips to figure out what to do as far as pickups. Ended up stumbling across this loaded pickguard on EBay and pulled the trigger.

http://imgur.com/60OidGF.jpg

It has a Dimarzio Super Distortion Humbucker in the bridge and two Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's in the middle and neck. Getting those in a loaded pickup will save me some time in terms of wiring and soldering. Won't really know how it sounds until I drop it in. Buddy gave a Seymour Duncan stacked humbucker I can drop in if I end up not liking the Dim Super D. But the Super D gets good reviews, so I'm hoping I'll like it.
Very nice! You seem to be progressing quickly through the project.

Very frustrating that I can't figure out how to post a stupid picture from Facebook. I will get it on Picasa soon, I've just been playing it and haven't copied pictures to my computer.
Have you tried right clicking and copying the image link? Looking forward to checking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread