Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

***OFFICIAL*** Guitar Guys Thread -- all axes, all the time

Very frustrating that I can't figure out how to post a stupid picture from Facebook. I will get it on Picasa soon, I've just been playing it and haven't copied pictures to my computer.

Have you tried right clicking and copying the image link? Looking forward to checking it out.

C'mon Brit. You can do this. I'd also like to see it.

Been doing a stupid amount of research and listening to sound clips to figure out what to do as far as pickups. Ended up stumbling across this loaded pickguard on EBay and pulled the trigger.http://imgur.com/60OidGF.jpgIt has a Dimarzio Super Distortion Humbucker in the bridge and two Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's in the middle and neck. Getting those in a loaded pickguard will save me some time in terms of wiring and soldering. Won't really know how it sounds until I drop it in. Buddy gave me a Seymour Duncan stacked humbucker I can drop in if I end up not liking the Dim Super D. But the Super D gets good reviews, so I'm hoping I'll like it.

Also spending hours researching various guitar and music room related things. Love the Fat 50s. Of course, the problem with listening to clips is that by far the most important feature of a guitar's sound is the person playing it. Pickups may be 2nd, but how close they are in importance to set up, amp, strings, pots, wiring etc., I'm just not so sure. Some differences are obvious like overwound vs vintage, but others not so much. I want to carve cavities for a Tele build, but can't decide on the pickups... P90s, traditional, humbuckers, some combo. This dictates the holes I cut. So my guitar build is a blank canvas.

Also a successful experiment on the music room involved nothing more than stacking corrugated cardboard on the roof topped with a few sheets of drywall then lining the interior walls with padded packing blankets. The doors were pretty quiet. Amp on 8-10 still too loud for the living room, dining room, kitchen, but no problem for bedrooms or nieghbors.

Edited by Chaos Commish

I would look for a used Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Takamine, or even Seagull on craigslist. And I would avoid just about everything else that is mass produced.

I agree with this advice. I bet for that same money you can get a USED low end Taylor, Martin, Epiphone, or other acoustic. Remember, USED is where the value is. If I'm on a budget with a guitar purchase, I'm going to try to find something used with a few dings, and end up getting twice the guitar that way.

My 2 cents.

Very frustrating that I can't figure out how to post a stupid picture from Facebook. I will get it on Picasa soon, I've just been playing it and haven't copied pictures to my computer.It's a 72 Guild Acoustic, and its incredible so far. It's got some quirks though, I think due to age, so I think I will have to take it to the tech who set up my Tele (amazing how much it actually makes a difference).The bridge piece (white insert part, not sure the real name) looks like it was swapped for some ill fitting thing at some point in time, and a couple of the tuning pegs are tighter than they should be, but still work.The condition of the body is phenomenal. Unbelievable that this thing is over 40 years old. Someone must have stored this untouched for a very long time or they treated it with kid gloves. There are a couple tiny dings and marks from picking but really amazingly few blemishes. I kind of doubt I will be able to be as nice to it.All in all, I'm very pleased for my first "nice" acoustic and the sound is really clear and deep. Feels like a lifetime purchase. It's solid mahogany (even the top) and it really resounds when you let notes ring out.

Awesome.

I'm having the same issue with my acoustic needing a setup, I think. I just laid out a boatload for one I haven't played before. It's a custom Taylor in walnut, and it looks and sounds amazing. Every note/string stands out apart from the others and it's clear and full and has awesome natural reverb. The only catch is that it's a bit harder to play than I like -- harder to bend on the strings etc. I think the action isn't all that bad, but the strings just feel extra "tight." I believe this may be a truss rod thing -- just tweak the setup, quarter turn on the rod, and it may loosen that all up. I'm sure I'll botch this if I try to do it myself, so I may try to bring it in to someone locally to have them give it a pro setup. Then again there are some good guides on the web, maybe I'll try some minor tweaking myself and see if that helps.

May also be able to put slightly lighter gauge strings on it -- I thought that might be the issue at first, buy guys at the acoustic guitar forum are suggesting truss rod/setup. I was surprised that Taylor didn't do a more friendly setup at the factory....

We'll see. This could also just in part be based on the fact that I haven't played acoustic in a while and have been playing electric for 9 months exclusively. But I got my Taylor Big Baby the other day and the thing is set up like butter. Totally different animal I know, but it sounds great and is a cakewalk to play. All these years playing guitar and I still don't fully understand what makes the one really hard to play and the other easy (I always thought it was just string gauge, but I suppose truss rod/other may be more important).

BIggie, others, any insight here?

Oats

Very frustrating that I can't figure out how to post a stupid picture from Facebook. I will get it on Picasa soon, I've just been playing it and haven't copied pictures to my computer.It's a 72 Guild Acoustic, and its incredible so far. It's got some quirks though, I think due to age, so I think I will have to take it to the tech who set up my Tele (amazing how much it actually makes a difference).The bridge piece (white insert part, not sure the real name) looks like it was swapped for some ill fitting thing at some point in time, and a couple of the tuning pegs are tighter than they should be, but still work.The condition of the body is phenomenal. Unbelievable that this thing is over 40 years old. Someone must have stored this untouched for a very long time or they treated it with kid gloves. There are a couple tiny dings and marks from picking but really amazingly few blemishes. I kind of doubt I will be able to be as nice to it.All in all, I'm very pleased for my first "nice" acoustic and the sound is really clear and deep. Feels like a lifetime purchase. It's solid mahogany (even the top) and it really resounds when you let notes ring out.

Awesome. I'm having the same issue with my acoustic needing a setup, I think. I just laid out a boatload for one I haven't played before. It's a custom Taylor in walnut, and it looks and sounds amazing. Every note/string stands out apart from the others and it's clear and full and has awesome natural reverb. The only catch is that it's a bit harder to play than I like -- harder to bend on the strings etc. I think the action isn't all that bad, but the strings just feel extra "tight." I believe this may be a truss rod thing -- just tweak the setup, quarter turn on the rod, and it may loosen that all up. I'm sure I'll botch this if I try to do it myself, so I may try to bring it in to someone locally to have them give it a pro setup. Then again there are some good guides on the web, maybe I'll try some minor tweaking myself and see if that helps. May also be able to put slightly lighter gauge strings on it -- I thought that might be the issue at first, buy guys at the acoustic guitar forum are suggesting truss rod/setup. I was surprised that Taylor didn't do a more friendly setup at the factory.... We'll see. This could also just in part be based on the fact that I haven't played acoustic in a while and have been playing electric for 9 months exclusively. But I got my Taylor Big Baby the other day and the thing is set up like butter. Totally different animal I know, but it sounds great and is a cakewalk to play. All these years playing guitar and I still don't fully understand what makes the one really hard to play and the other easy (I always thought it was just string gauge, but I suppose truss rod/other may be more important). BIggie, others, any insight here? Oats
Hmmm. How's the action? Have you measured it?I'd suggest taking it to an authorized Taylor servicer and have them take a look.

Action is fine. It's more just hard to bend the strings. Hard to describe other than that.

The guys in AGF suggested a few things:

- needs setup (unlikely coming from Taylor and high end)

- lighter strings

- truss rod

- downtune a half step

- short scale vs long scale

I'll experiment with strings and down tuning before anything else. Apparently the big reason you can get a short baby Taylor so playable is the short neck which makes everything easier.

This all may just boil down to me not playing acoustics much in years. We'll see. I'm going to toy with strings etc and see what happens. The guitar sounds so wonderful that I'm willing to work to make it more comfortable to play.

Action is fine. It's more just hard to bend the strings. Hard to describe other than that.The guys in AGF suggested a few things:- needs setup (unlikely coming from Taylor and high end)- lighter strings- truss rod- downtune a half step- short scale vs long scaleI'll experiment with strings and down tuning before anything else. Apparently the big reason you can get a short baby Taylor so playable is the short neck which makes everything easier.This all may just boil down to me not playing acoustics much in years. We'll see. I'm going to toy with strings etc and see what happens. The guitar sounds so wonderful that I'm willing to work to make it more comfortable to play.

Adjusting the truss rod will affect the action. If the action is optimal up and down the entire neck, it's probably not a truss rod thing. What size strings are on it now?

Action is fine. It's more just hard to bend the strings. Hard to describe other than that.The guys in AGF suggested a few things:- needs setup (unlikely coming from Taylor and high end)- lighter strings- truss rod- downtune a half step- short scale vs long scaleI'll experiment with strings and down tuning before anything else. Apparently the big reason you can get a short baby Taylor so playable is the short neck which makes everything easier.This all may just boil down to me not playing acoustics much in years. We'll see. I'm going to toy with strings etc and see what happens. The guitar sounds so wonderful that I'm willing to work to make it more comfortable to play.

Adjusting the truss rod will affect the action. If the action is optimal up and down the entire neck, it's probably not a truss rod thing. What size strings are on it now?

Supposedly comes with medium gauge.

Well buddy, I'm shuked. Medium gauge acoustic strings are likely thicker than what you're playing on your electrics, but it shouldn't be causing you issues. The great thing about Taylors is how easy they are to play. That's a bummer. I'd call Taylor customer service and get the address for an authorized Taylor servicer in Manhattan and have them take a look. You could also swing by any guitar store and play some other Taylors. That will tell you whether your guitar is more difficult to play or if it's all acoustics and you're just out of practice.

Well buddy, I'm shuked. Medium gauge acoustic strings are likely thicker than what you're playing on your electrics, but it shouldn't be causing you issues. The great thing about Taylors is how easy they are to play. That's a bummer. I'd call Taylor customer service and get the address for an authorized Taylor servicer in Manhattan and have them take a look. You could also swing by any guitar store and play some other Taylors. That will tell you whether your guitar is more difficult to play or if it's all acoustics and you're just out of practice.

I may just be out of practice :bag:

If I grind through it my finger and hand strength will come back and I will slay the panties off ladies again.

Well, my wife at least.

Maybe.

Is it possible you're just so accustomed to light strings that the mediums are more resistant than you were expecting? If mediums are tighter, they will be sharp regardless of the rod. And you'd have probably popped the G string trying to bend it if it's tuned up much. That's all I can think of unless somebody at the store put heavy strings on it.

Is it possible you're just so accustomed to light strings that the mediums are more resistant than you were expecting? If mediums are tighter, they will be sharp regardless of the rod. And you'd have probably popped the G string trying to bend it if it's tuned up much. That's all I can think of unless somebody at the store put heavy strings on it.

Totally possible.

The guitar I think has mediums on it...they feel heavy, but could be that. I'm going to try stringing with lights--or even those ones where they start heavy and get lighter -- I don't bend the lower strings much anyway, so you get the full bass sound in the low strings and then the bendability of the high strings. Win-win.

id bet its string gauge. light gauge electrics are 9s or 10s and heavy is 12. medium acoustic is usually a 13. id go with 11s on the acoustic to get used to it.

id bet its string gauge. light gauge electrics are 9s or 10s and heavy is 12. medium acoustic is usually a 13. id go with 11s on the acoustic to get used to it.

I agree with this. Lighter gauge (I use 11) on acoustic would be much easier to bend than medium.

Very cool. And I really enjoyed looking at the shots of your Tele build.

Agreed. I wanna be like Brit. He has a cool used acoustic and an almost finished Tele build. I'm looking for one and too lazy to get going on the other.

I want to build completely from scratch. I like the idea of picking pots, wires and capacitors and soldering things together. I like the idea of winding my own pickups, shaping a slab of wood into a body and a plank into a neck. It's the project more than the end product, but I don't see how I can pass on this. Buying the exact parts more than doubles the price. I can get a better price buying exclusively Chinese knockoffs, by about $10, which just seems lame. Brit, I've seriously looked for the best priced quality electronics. I know you're not rich like Otis, but if you need that stuff, I haven't found a way to get better for twice the price. Just sayin'. There is obviously much better out there, but it sure seems like a solid installation for first timers.

I would look for a used Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Takamine, or even Seagull on craigslist. And I would avoid just about everything else that is mass produced.

I agree with this advice. I bet for that same money you can get a USED low end Taylor, Martin, Epiphone, or other acoustic. Remember, USED is where the value is. If I'm on a budget with a guitar purchase, I'm going to try to find something used with a few dings, and end up getting twice the guitar that way.

My 2 cents.

Link to one of these deals you would take?

I'm happy buying used equipment. You guys make this sound too easy though. I have no idea what my budget is, but between $150 like you spent for the Taylor and $300 for a new one is reasonable. I've been all over EB and CL with no luck. Best I see is 20% off new, which makes me want the warranty.

I also am in possession of an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (cherry sunburst) with autograph and custom hand drawn artwork by Billy Gibbons. That's going up for auction at a charity event though. May end up bidding on it even though I'm the one who bought the guitar and got the signature.

The charity event was a couple weeks ago. The guitar went for $1250. Not bad for a guitar I picked up for $149 new.

Also, I know I said I wasn't going to mess around much with the finish, but that was when I thought I was going to use my dad's old dresser. That oak I linked to is getting stripped because I had a dream about a finish. It involves a lot of masking and an airbrush. :construction:

Last comment. Against "Ken's policy", I sat in on a guitar lesson with my kid. I think he struggles not to look down her top, but maybe I'm just getting paranoid since she grew boobs. Anyway, he corrected the way I use my left hand, made me comfortable reaching strings and forming chords, and instead of being frustrated, I'm really enjoying practicing chords all morning with my coffee sitting by the pool. One thing online lessons simply cannot do is see the doofus trying to follow along.

Also, I know I said I wasn't going to mess around much with the finish, but that was when I thought I was going to use my dad's old dresser. That oak I linked to is getting stripped because I had a dream about a finish. It involves a lot of masking and an airbrush. :construction:

Last comment. Against "Ken's policy", I sat in on a guitar lesson with my kid. I think he struggles not to look down her top, but maybe I'm just getting paranoid since she grew boobs. Anyway, he corrected the way I use my left hand, made me comfortable reaching strings and forming chords, and instead of being frustrated, I'm really enjoying practicing chords all morning with my coffee sitting by the pool. One thing online lessons simply cannot do is see the doofus trying to follow along.

Spring for joint lessons from here on out. Two birds, one stone and all that.

I also am in possession of an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (cherry sunburst) with autograph and custom hand drawn artwork by Billy Gibbons. That's going up for auction at a charity event though. May end up bidding on it even though I'm the one who bought the guitar and got the signature.

The charity event was a couple weeks ago. The guitar went for $1250. Not bad for a guitar I picked up for $149 new.

And that's pretty awesome.

Spring for joint lessons from here on out. Two birds, one stone and all that.

Both Ken and my kid are against the idea, mostly my kid, but Ken prefers one on one. I may sign up for separate lessons.

Ordered up a used one of these a few days ago. I figured my bid would be too low and wasn't really expecting to win, but got it for a touch over $200. Should be getting it Thursday or Friday and hoping it's as well maintained and in as good of condition as advertised. Also has upgraded pickups that have the same distressed copper plate over them. The wooden look was a selling point for me, the copper accessories not so much though I do like them. It was one of those sentimentally compulsive "completely hit me at the right time" purchases and I have no idea if it's worth the money, but if it is it seems a bargain based on the pretty decent reviews and new prices I found.

This thread may end up bankrupting us.

:goodposting:And nice axe, Sweeney

Ordered up a used one of these a few days ago. I figured my bid would be too low and wasn't really expecting to win, but got it for a touch over $200. Should be getting it Thursday or Friday and hoping it's as well maintained and in as good of condition as advertised. Also has upgraded pickups that have the same distressed copper plate over them. The wooden look was a selling point for me, the copper accessories not so much though I do like them. It was one of those sentimentally compulsive "completely hit me at the right time" purchases and I have no idea if it's worth the money, but if it is it seems a bargain based on the pretty decent reviews and new prices I found.

Wow, nice catch. Let us know how you like it, looks awesome. Especially for the money.

That is a sweet looking hunk of guitar right there.

Wow, nice catch. Let us know how you like it, looks awesome. Especially for the money.

Maybe my problem finding a sweet deal on used is that I'm too new to makes and models to know what to look for. I would have never considered this guitar because I know nothing about it and I can't research them all. I think I'll just stay content with the two we have for now and worry about building my music room and learning to play.

Maybe my problem finding a sweet deal on used is that I'm too new to makes and models to know what to look for. I would have never considered this guitar because I know nothing about it and I can't research them all. I think I'll just stay content with the two we have for now and worry about building my music room and learning to play.

I don't know much either, other than all the semi-hollows I looked at were out of my range, even the Epiphones. I did some quick research and knew that Washburn wasn't a crap brand, though I didn't know if they're particularly good either. Most of the reviews were good on it. A few youtube reviews and it's a clone of the ES models I was looking at. Plus, as I said, it was a sentimental impulse due to a number of factors so I threw away some common sense. It helped that the auction ended the same day I was looking at it. If I'd had more time, I might've talked my way out of it. As it is though, I'm on pins and needles waiting for it and am practicing my fingers bloody to get just 3 days better by the time it gets here.

If you can imagine drums in there someday, and you really want to soundproof it well, you'll need to build a room inside a room.

This was a couple pages ago and after hours spent in "sound room" threads, you were right. Man, those sound guys are obnoxious, btw. Instead of building inside the already narrow space, my room is perfect for building outside of it. It's a concept called mass spring mass that apparently is the standard for something like this. The exterior walls are going to have storage attached to them all the way around. This is the idea, but I'll use ply and repurpose the fence lumber. I've built walls of garage cabinets for cheap and dressed them up nicely so this is right up my ally. The main expense will be for Hushboard. At $11 a sheet the stuff is a bargain (I'll need 25-27). It will line the inside and outside of the room and the inside of the cabinet doors.

My daughter loves the look of wooden sound diffusers. She's excited to glue together panels similar to these to fit the doors. I have the wood, just need to run the saw for her, and I'm about to go do that.

Hah, funny update on that. I went to take a picture of the raw material before posting. The gardeners just left. I'd cut down a dead tree specifically for this project. They just hauled it away. :lol:

This woodwork is kinda cool.

I didn't comment about your luthier buddy's work maybe because I was speechless. I'm looking at the word working, fit, finish, etc., very closely, and I don't think I've seen better work. The Telemark BB inquired about is about as sweet as a Tele can be, imo. The custom shops are well behind Russell Guitars. Tell him I said so.

True, but not the same model...

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-SG-Standard-Heritage-Cherry/dp/B00ADQS04E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_4

how much different are the Tributes to the Standard?

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-SG-Standard-Heritage-Cherry/dp/B00ADQS04E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_4

I don't know, but I'm sure you can dig a little to see. There's also a 60s Tribute (USA made) that goes for 899 with very strong reviews. Thread I looked at had many players preferring it to the Standard. GL!

This woodwork is kinda cool.

I didn't comment about your luthier buddy's work maybe because I was speechless. I'm looking at the word working, fit, finish, etc., very closely, and I don't think I've seen better work. The Telemark BB inquired about is about as sweet as a Tele can be, imo. The custom shops are well behind Russell Guitars. Tell him I said so.

Thanks, Chaos. I will tell him. Wish I could afford one of these!

I don't know, but I'm sure you can dig a little to see. There's also a 60s Tribute (USA made) that goes for 899 with very strong reviews. Thread I looked at had many players preferring it to the Standard. GL!

You don't happen to have that thread link do ya?

If y'all are going to be in Northern Cali in August, the premiere custom guitar festival is held here every year. You'll see some of the most incredible custom guitars in the world there.

Sorry no. I did a ton of SG reading before getting mine and this was just a small part of it, not bookmarked or logged in memory.

Sorry no. I did a ton of SG reading before getting mine and this was just a small part of it, not bookmarked or logged in memory.

No Problem, I'll have to do some research tonight

Partocaster build slowly starting to take shape.

View 1

View 2

Still have to (1) attach the neck; (2) install the bridge (with trem block); and (3) solder the wiring for the ground and input jack.

View 1

View 2

Still have to (1) attach the neck; (2) install the bridge (with trem block); and (3) solder the wiring for the ground and input jack.

that looks AWESOME

View 1

View 2

that looks AWESOME

Thanks. I really like the way it's looking, and it's wonderfully light. But it won't be a success unless it also sounds awesome. And unfortunately, there's no way to know until the darn thing is built. :fingerscrossed: