What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (4 Viewers)

I am always surprised at how reactionary people are and how that reaction typically points to doom-and-gloom.

Smart money says he plays and he is unhindered by injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
they're going to have to give him off weds and thursday all year if they are going to work him this hard in games.

to throw a glass of cold water on a forest fire....I just noticed julio goes up against carolina weeks 14 and 16 this year... the only good defense he goes up against all year and it happens to be two of the 3 fantasy playoff weeks.... carolina limited him to 10-117-0 in the two games last year (granted he was still feeling the pain of that hip injury for the 2nd carolina game, but still)

they're going to have to give him off weds and thursday all year if they are going to work him this hard in games.

to throw a glass of cold water on a forest fire....I just noticed julio goes up against carolina weeks 14 and 16 this year... the only good defense he goes up against all year and it happens to be two of the 3 fantasy playoff weeks.... carolina limited him to 10-117-0 in the two games last year (granted he was still feeling the pain of that hip injury for the 2nd carolina game, but still)
Josh Norman is scary (held Hopkins in check today) but I'm not sure Julio is legitimately containable right now.

Josh Norman is scary (held Hopkins in check today) but I'm not sure Julio is legitimately containable right now.
Plus the Panthers defense could get hit with the injury bug by then.

I love Julio but I don't think his body can hold up to the amount of work he's getting. He doesn't shy from contact and they are currently feeding him the ball. If his body does hold up, he'll break every receiving record this year at the rate they are going.

Early, but Julio's two game total (276 receiving yards?) if he could sustain the torrid, incendiary pace, would prorate to over 2,200 yards. Eric Dickerson's rushing record is 2,105. Calvin Johnson has the season receiving yardage record with 1,964 set in 2012 (breaking Jerry Rice's of 1,848).

I love Julio but I don't think his body can hold up to the amount of work he's getting. He doesn't shy from contact and they are currently feeding him the ball. If his body does hold up, he'll break every receiving record this year at the rate they are going.
Hes already dealing with soreness...im starting to doubt 16 games.

Hopefully they just manage him well. The late bye (week 10) seems ages away. They may start reducing snaps and targets in certain games, with the full season in mind. Throttle it back a bit. Does it ever happen that a team sits their top WR for a week just so he can heal a little, even if he could go? He is the ATL gameplan.

Hopefully they just manage him well. The late bye (week 10) seems ages away. They may start reducing snaps and targets in certain games, with the full season in mind. Throttle it back a bit. Does it ever happen that a team sits their top WR for a week just so he can heal a little, even if he could go? He is the ATL gameplan.
They will give him Wednesday and Thursday off.

Commentary from the FBG news blog:

Falcons | Julio Jones limited Thursday Thu Sep 24, 04:32 PM

Atlanta Falcons WR Julio Jones (hamstring) was limited during practice Thursday, Sept. 24.

Footballguys view: We're worried but Jones is a gamer and should be out there against the Dallas Cowboys, where he should feast on the secondary and put up WR1 numbers. Falcons | Julio Jones should be fine Thu Sep 24, 08:01 PM

Atlanta Falcons WR Julio Jones (hamstring) is expected to be fine for the Week 3 game against the Dallas Cowboys even though he has been limited the last two days, according to head coach Dan Quinn.

Footballguys view: We weren't worried and you shouldn't be either. Consider him a lock as a WR1. :lol:

That's the idea.

I see them giving him every Wed/Thurs and feeding him the rock on gameday. Look at Garcon's numbers two years ago, same system. Barring injury he's a lock for 120+ receptions.

Rotoworld:

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Julio Jones (probable, hamstring) will have no limitations against the Cowboys.

Jones was limited on Wednesday and Thursday as part of the Falcons' plan to manage his practice reps. He was never in doubt. Jones has 26 targets through two weeks.

Sep 26 - 1:20 PM

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

I don't know how he keeps doing this on a clearly bad hammy, but I hope it continues.

I just hope he gets to the bye and can rest for 2 weeks.

have to give props to kyle shanahan for maximizing julio's ability by moving him around the formations.... but at some point teams are just going to lock 2 guys on julio because the rest of the falcons wr/te's are just garbage. falcons schedule the rest of the season doesnt include too many good defenses on it (save for carolina weeks 14 and 16 of course)

About as impressive to a start to a season I've seen. He always looks hurt but just keeps going.
I don't know how he keeps doing this on a clearly bad hammy, but I hope it continues.

Ya you almost get the feeling that this is too good to be true and this is all going to come crashing down. If he makes it all 16 games producing numbers even remotely close to this it is going to be amazing. Just riding him to as many wins as I can get until that happens.

I'm hoping we find out that the reason he was limping around out there today is that he rolled his ankle a little, or some other issue not related to the hammy. I can't imagine that the coaches and trainers would keep riding him this relentlessly if his hammy were bad enough to cause him to limp noticeably. Seems like that would be bound to make it worse to the point of him having to sit out a couple of weeks to rest it, and I'm sure nobody on the Falcons wants that.

I love JJ and I've had him for 3 years, but I'm worried about his injury history and tendensy to get dinged up. On the flip side, with Big Ben out 4-6 weeks I think he'll clearly separate himself from A Brown as the best WR/player in FF.

Current pace;

181 receptions, 2,346 yds & 21 TDs

Woah.
Just missed a TD last week at the Giants too and Ryan missed him a few times early on in the Dallas game. Only concern with him is health, I love starting him every week but feel rising dread each time the injury thread is loaded with posts just expecting him to be in there. One of my favorite players, think he'd be legitimately #1 pick if we drafted again today, certainly top 3 anyway. Dude has 46 targets through 3 games.

have to give props to kyle shanahan for maximizing julio's ability by moving him around the formations.... but at some point teams are just going to lock 2 guys on julio because the rest of the falcons wr/te's are just garbage. falcons schedule the rest of the season doesnt include too many good defenses on it (save for carolina weeks 14 and 16 of course)
Yeah because no one has thought of, or tried, doubling him prior to now.

Top WRs routinely beat double coverage. It's one of the reasons they are elite. They won't stop throwing to him just because of an additional safety.

Looking at last years points allowed to WR's, Atlanta's schedule is looking pretty soft. Only Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Giants, Carolina and Washington have schedules that allowed more points to WR's and Julio's foot should be fully healed now. What's everyone's thoughts on this guy? I'm looking to target in round 1 with my 1.08 pick.
Had it right on this guy ... Unfortunately he went 1.06 in my draft ...

Looking at last years points allowed to WR's, Atlanta's schedule is looking pretty soft. Only Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Giants, Carolina and Washington have schedules that allowed more points to WR's and Julio's foot should be fully healed now. What's everyone's thoughts on this guy? I'm looking to target in round 1 with my 1.08 pick.
Had it right on this guy ... Unfortunately he went 1.06 in my draft ...
Got him at the turn, my league is heavy into QB's and RB's in round one. Would have taken him earlier, was lucky to get him there.

Yeah because no one has thought of, or tried, doubling him prior to now. Top WRs routinely beat double coverage. It's one of the reasons they are elite. They won't stop throwing to him just because of an additional safety.
When I said double, I meant literally 2 guys running with him from LOS.

His long TD he had a CB on him and a S over top. S was worried about deep sideline and once Julio broke to the middle, neither could keep up.

He had a CB assigned to him man to man, and a S over top pretty much every play. No easy task when he's running the full arsenal of routes. Hard to jam, faster than you, gets in and out of breaks like a 5'11" 190 lbs WR.

I'm sure he'll have his off-ish games and some teams have better personnel to matchup with him, but without teams playing him like a gunner on punts, there isn't much more you can do.

Yeah because no one has thought of, or tried, doubling him prior to now.Top WRs routinely beat double coverage. It's one of the reasons they are elite. They won't stop throwing to him just because of an additional safety.
When I said double, I meant literally 2 guys running with him from LOS.
Roddy White was wide open on a lot of plays yesterday, Ryan just didn't get him the ball because Julio is his first read and was locked in on him (rightfully so). If teams did that, Roddy & Hankerson will kill you.

RealReactions said:
VA703 said:
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

matt ryan Julio jones stack looking nice
I have julio but this is how matt ryan started last year and he then fell of a cliff. He still makes me nervous because julio depends on him.
The offensive line and run game look a lot better so far this year. Ryan has elite skills; if he continues to get time he'll continue to find Julio. My only concern is Julio's health. If both he and Ryan stay healthy (big if), and the line holds up, Julio could be in for an historically big year.

This guy is the best WR in the league right now. He has always been a physical freak, but he looks bigger than ever. He's almost like TO with 4.3 speed and hands. He looks like a different species entirely from the other players on the field.

This guy is the best WR in the league right now. He has always been a physical freak, but he looks bigger than ever. He's almost like TO with 4.3 speed and hands. He looks like a different species entirely from the other players on the field.
I'm kind of wondering if he's a little too big. Hard to argue with the success he's having so far, but the dude looks like a tight end out there. Seems like that bulk could put him at higher risk for lower body injuries.

Too big.....lol. Why do people who play this game over analyze things?
And at the opposite end of the spectrum we have people who don't analyze things at all.

Wide receivers put tremendous stresses on their lower bodies when accelerating and cutting. It's not entirely bizarre to wonder if a guy Julio's size can endure those stresses indefinitely without problems arising from them. Dude is already gimpy.

Users who are viewing this thread