What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (1 Viewer)

And having a differing opinion about the quality of Julio's production is not trolling. Sorry you see it that way. It's not my M.O. so please accept that and move on.
You cant have a different opinion on facts or his production in that regard, he is leading the league in catches and yards. It is indisputable that he is an elite producer as he is top of every fantasy leagues scoring. That is not an opinion, that is a fact. I also clearly said I did not think you were trolling even though your posts scream it but after this last comment I have changed my mind and I believe that is all you are doing.

What is your point here? He should have more TDs? Sure, we all agree. But you seem to want to troll or dispute anyone who wants to defend Julio as if he needs defending. I;m at a loss for what you are trying to prove or point you are arguing?
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. You say he is at the "top of every fantasy leagues scoring", that simply isn't true. And I'm trolling because I point that out?

Catches and yards don't cut it in a lot of leagues. My point is that the TD production, and therefore his overall scoring output, is a disappointment in a lot of leagues (and he's been great in many others). Sorry if that surprises and/or bothers you.

He is perhaps the best WR in the NFL but he hasn't produced at that level since week 3 in a lot of fantasy leagues. That's a very long drought.

He's on pace for 1644 and 7.4 tds. If you were told you would be given that at the beginning of the year from your 1st round pick you take it every time and dont look back. Anyone that argues otherwise has unrealistic expectations or is trolling.
A lot of people in this thread had much higher expectations for Julio at the beginning of the season, particularly in the TD department.

And the fact that he has scored in only twice in his last nine games and none in the last three is not something any reasonable person would "take and not look back".
102/1338/6

Dont set your expectations to high or anything. League leader in those stats except for TDs, those will come.

Those criticizing Julio look like spoiled children upset he doesnt get 8/120/1 every week.

Over 100 catches in week 13 and people had much higher expectations? Unbelievable.
You don't need to tell me that. I don't expect everyone to know who said what throughout a 28 page thread but I was heavily criticized in this thread for trying to temper the expectations in this thread on Julio this year.

Still even from my perspective, and he is right on target for my pre-season projections (100+ catches, 1,600+ yards and 10 TDs), I think it is entirely reasonable to be very disappointed in only two TDs over a nine week span, particularly considering how heavily he has been targeted. Even Julio seems to be getting disgruntled by his lack of usage near the goal line.
It's hysterical that you still think you were right about Shanahan and his usage near the end zone. From inside the 10 yard line he has 3 times as many catches and 4 times as many TDs as he had last year, and there are still 4 games left to play. The reason his TDs aren't as high as we'd like is because he doesn't have any deep ones this year.

Any team with a decent QB has been posting huge numbers on the Panthers defense. I expect a huge week from Julio.
Aaron Rodgers and the Packers looked like absolute garbage against the Panthers.
369 yards and 4 TDs for Rodgers

Cobb with 20 pts, Adams 16, Starks 24, Jones 8, R. Rodgers 19

Not sure our definition of "garbage" is the same.
Your post implied that the Carolina defense is awful. I was at the Carolina-GB game. They dominated Rodgers and the Pack most of the game. Most of the stats were in garbage time -- do you want to bank on garbage time stats vs Carolina every week?

14 hours ago

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

#Panthers plan to push veteran CB @peanuttillman in practice to see how is right knee is. Would like him to matchup with Julio Jones
@Edwerderespn @peanuttillman Um Josh Norman?
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

Believe Ron Rivera and Sean McDermott feel Tillman's size makes him better vs bigger NFC South receivers
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

Asked Ron Rivera recently about Charles Tillman. He said signed the veteran because look at teams in division, lot have big WR like ATL, TB

Any team with a decent QB has been posting huge numbers on the Panthers defense. I expect a huge week from Julio.
Aaron Rodgers and the Packers looked like absolute garbage against the Panthers.

Your post implied that the Carolina defense is awful. I was at the Carolina-GB game. They dominated Rodgers and the Pack most of the game. Most of the stats were in garbage time -- do you want to bank on garbage time stats vs Carolina every week?
No, my post implied that any team with a decent QB has posted huge numbers.

Here's the list of the best QBs Carolina has faced...

Rodgers - 369/4

Brees - 282/3

Luck - 231/2 in a torrential downpour

Winston - 287/2

Wilson - 241/1 + 53 rush

That's an average of 282/2.4

This game script plays out as either a high scoring game (tied for the 3rd highest o/u by vegas) or Atlanta playing from behind (3rd largest dog of the week) and getting garbage time stats.

IMO all signs point to Julio having a good game.

Rodgers - 369/4

Brees - 282/3

Winston - 287/2

Wilson - 241/1 + 53 rush

This game script plays out as either a high scoring game (tied for the 3rd highest o/u by vegas) or Atlanta playing from behind (3rd largest dog of the week) and getting garbage time stats.

Dang you B N B! Back in lineup and going down with ship.

That is not what I got from his post. All I got from it was good QBs dont do as bad as the "Norman is God" supporters would assume.

That is not what I got from his post. All I got from it was good QBs dont do as bad as the "Norman is God" supporters would assume.
How many of those plays are norman giving up personally.

Panthers play more zone than man coverage. Last week Coleman score against Norman when Norman bit on the bubble screen. Cooks scored against Big Play Benee as I recall.

While Norman is very good, he's not God and he's not Dieon, Champ, or Revis at their best. Norman has been beat several times this year and was able to recover by combining a spectacular athletic play with a slightly under thrown ball.

One thing I've noticed is that the Panthers have been venerable to big plays when the center of the DL isn't getting pressure. The Saints did a solid job in that area last week. Can anyone comment on Atlanta's interior pass protection?

14 hours ago

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

#Panthers plan to push veteran CB @peanuttillman in practice to see how is right knee is. Would like him to matchup with Julio Jones
@Edwerderespn @peanuttillman Um Josh Norman?
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

Believe Ron Rivera and Sean McDermott feel Tillman's size makes him better vs bigger NFC South receivers
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

Asked Ron Rivera recently about Charles Tillman. He said signed the veteran because look at teams in division, lot have big WR like ATL, TB
the only way tillman covering julio makes any kind of sense to me is if they plan to bracket him with a safety over the top the entire game. in his prime tillman was an excellent cover 2 corner but was average in man to man. this makes no sense... i mean what is norman going to do all game if he's not covering julio? They have no other legitimate WR for norman to cover. I have to guess this is some veiled attempt to mess with kyle shannahan's gameplan

I don't know, the Bears used to have Peanut guard Megatron 1-on-1 in his prime, and he had good, to very good results. I'm not saying that this is the same peanut of 2009-2012, but I would not rule out Carolina having peanut guard JJ with the usual safely help he always faces.

I don't know, the Bears used to have Peanut guard Megatron 1-on-1 in his prime, and he had good, to very good results. I'm not saying that this is the same peanut of 2009-2012, but I would not rule out Carolina having peanut guard JJ with the usual safely help he always faces.
well i suppose they could try. peanut is 34 years old and coming off an injury. Hopkins is a big WR and norman shut him down. this just doesnt make sense on any level

Rodgers - 369/4

Brees - 282/3

Winston - 287/2

Wilson - 241/1 + 53 rush

2.4 Tds =

1 - TE

1 - Random Guys TE/FB/4th WR

.4 - Split between White/Freeman/ Julio

the falcons haven't scored more than 25 points in a game since week 4, most games since then they've been at around 20 points

dirtyjay said:
So with the worry of Norman, Ryans inability, and Julio not being able to score TDs, who is benching him?
You can't bench him. I have Winston, Gurley, McCoy, Julio, AJ Green, Beckham Jr, Antonio Brown, and Delanie Walker starting with Sammy Watkins and Jeremy Hill on the bench and I still won't bench Jones. You simply CANNOT bench Julio Jones unless he is hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a pretty impressive stable of wide receivers. I would certainly start ODB, AJ Green and AB over Julio this week.

That same comment of 'you cannot bench unless hurt' would apply to those three as well.

I am a Julio owner, but am concerned with his production this weekend.

JohnnyU said:
dirtyjay said:
So with the worry of Norman, Ryans inability, and Julio not being able to score TDs, who is benching him?
You can't bench him. I have Winston, Gurley, McCoy, Julio, AJ Green, Beckham Jr, Antonio Brown, and Delanie Walker starting with Sammy Watkins and Jeremy Hill on the bench and I still won't bench Jones. You simply CANNOT bench Julio Jones unless he is hurt.
I have those 4 receivers too and have benched him for green a couple times anyways. starting him over Watkins or hill is a no brainer

How does anyone think this guy is a stud? I would be shocked if he is top 12 in standard scoring leagues after week 3

Every week I feel like I'm at a disadvantage with my supposed #1 WR going up against the other teams #1 WR.

week

13 - vs Hopkins (julio lose) 10 - 12

12 - vs Calvin (julio destroyed) 4- 24

11 - vs John Freakin Brown (julio barely wins) 12.5 - 9.5 luckily AB was on a bye

10 - Bye

09 - vs Sanders (julio loses) 10 - 14

08 - vs Cooks (julio loses) 15 - 19

07 - vs Cooper (julio loses) 12 - 18

06 - vs Robinson (julio loses) 10 -11.5

In some odd way Julio Jones is my weakest link ... I'm always starting at a disadvantage
I dunno, number 1 in PPR?
Yeah PPR is kinda silly ... it doesn't represent real production
1 point per 10 yards receiving is less arbitrary?
10 yds is a 1st down and has moved u 10 yds closer to the opposing teams end zone

The object of the game is to move the ball down field and score. Catching a ball may or may not contribute to that at all.

It's nonsense and no different that rewarding a QB for completions or a RB for carries
Oh, so you only give yardage points on drives that end in points. Gotcha.

I've been fortunate enough to accumulate Calvin, Julio, ODB, and Allen Robinson in my dynasty league. Arob and ODB have been the must-starts this year with Julio/Calvin swapping based on matchup/bye/etc.

I am leaning Calvin over Julio right now but this is very difficult decision for me. I

I've been fortunate enough to accumulate Calvin, Julio, ODB, and Allen Robinson in my dynasty league. Arob and ODB have been the must-starts this year with Julio/Calvin swapping based on matchup/bye/etc.

I am leaning Calvin over Julio right now but this is very difficult decision for me. I
Living up to your user. Love it btw

Ranking top 10 wide receivers for next three seasons

Excerpt:

1. Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons: Jones has been the league's top wideout in 2015. The 26-year-old has a shot at the single-season reception record and is the most physically dominant wideout in the NFL. But this isn't just about the gaudy statistics. He has rare athleticism for a player of his size (6-foot-3, 220 pounds). He dominates in competitive catch situations and chews up yards after the reception. He has the power of a tight end through his lower half and an uncommon reach to come down with passes that appear to be uncatchable.
Note that this is an ESPN Insider article so the Julio Jones ranking is the only visable one unless you have access to the full content.

Ranking top 10 wide receivers for next three seasons

Excerpt:

1. Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons: Jones has been the league's top wideout in 2015. The 26-year-old has a shot at the single-season reception record and is the most physically dominant wideout in the NFL. But this isn't just about the gaudy statistics. He has rare athleticism for a player of his size (6-foot-3, 220 pounds). He dominates in competitive catch situations and chews up yards after the reception. He has the power of a tight end through his lower half and an uncommon reach to come down with passes that appear to be uncatchable. However he is not much of a Red Zone Threat and has only 2 TDs in his last 9 games making him nothing more than low end WR1 or high end WR2
Note that this is an ESPN Insider article so the Julio Jones ranking is the only visable one unless you have access to the full content.

Julio (and freeman) owners probably had a good shot at a bye this week. I think they both go off next week vs Jax. They're going to advance a lot of teams to 2nd place finishes.

I won without Julio going off. But really need him next week. Would love a Bortles vs Julio shootout. Now or never.
Well Jax has put up 90 points in the last 2 games. And Atlanta will need to right this ship and win out to have a shot. Could see both teams in the 30s next week.

Touchdowns are the epitome of fluky/unpredictable. Jericho Cotchery scored 10 a couple of years ago, for Christ's sake.

You chase the targets, the production(and TDs) will follow. Jones is heavily, heavily targeted, ergo....

There really is no logical argument against him being elite for fantasy(regardless of scoring system). Yeah, it'd be even more awesome if he had Roethlisberger or Rodgers throwing to him because it'd probably equal more touchdowns, but he's a beast regardless. If a "down week" for a guy is around 15 or 16 points in PPR, I'll take four or those please. Even with no-grapes Matt Ryan chucking it to them.

They will throw to him a ton with nothing to lose so Julio can show Normans who is boss. Julio is so much bigger, just throw it to him all the time. Play physical and he will win. Julio has a calmer head than OBJ.

If Julio lined up out wide, he will get nothing like the last 3 matchups against Norman. If they use him out of slot more often he has a better shot at putting up numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the OBJ/Norman issue a positive or negative for Julio? Or does it not make any difference?
I was trying to think about this as well. As professional as Norman is, he did seem a little rattled after the game (and rightfully so). I kind of think its a slight negative, but not much of one.

It's more about Ryan than the matchup Julio potentially has against Norman, but that horse was beaten death before the week 14 matchup.

Is the OBJ/Norman issue a positive or negative for Julio? Or does it not make any difference?
I was trying to think about this as well. As professional as Norman is, he did seem a little rattled after the game (and rightfully so). I kind of think its a slight negative, but not much of one.
Professional? He's great at his job but the guy incessantly chirps to the media about players on other teams. It may be part of his process but he comes off as a huge blowhard. It is not what I view as being professional.

Everyone is getting on OBJ for losing his mind last week, and deservedly so, but at least OBJ is generally respectful publicly. He comes off as more of a pro in the public space than Norman and by a wide margin. On the field, well we have no idea what really is going on, but Norman at least doesn't seem to do as much stupid #### as OBJ has this season (the punch v Buffalo and what happened last week do not reflect well on him).

All those targets & receptions....having only 7 TDs just seems, I dunno...inadequate.
Agreed. The receptions mean nothing in my league and yards are very nice but despite a nice game vs Jax he has been mid-tier #2 WR since week 3. That is a long time for one of the best WRs in the game, but I am sure Shanahan's genius with WRs will shine through this week.

All those targets & receptions....having only 7 TDs just seems, I dunno...inadequate.
Agreed. The receptions mean nothing in my league and yards are very nice but despite a nice game vs Jax he has been mid-tier #2 WR since week 3. That is a long time for one of the best WRs in the game, but I am sure Shanahan's genius with WRs will shine through this week.
Story of Julio's life though. Guy has 33 TDs in 5 seasons. He's the NFC's Andre Johnson. Tons of targets, tons of consistency, tons of yards, low touchdowns.

Story of Julio's life though. Guy has 33 TDs in 5 seasons. He's the NFC's Andre Johnson. Tons of targets, tons of consistency, tons of yards, low touchdowns.
I think this is more of a product of system than talent. Despite protestations otherwise Kyle Shanahan (as well as his father and his father's protege Gary Kubiak) has a track record that supports the notion of lots of targets, receptions and yards but low TD numbers. I regret letting this thread convince me that things would turn out differently with a transcendent talent like Julio.

IMO put a guy like Julio under Todd Haley (or Scott Linehan most years) and he puts up crazy pinball numbers.

I think this is more of a product of system than talent. Despite protestations otherwise Kyle Shanahan (as well as his father and his father's protege Gary Kubiak) has a track record that supports the notion of lots of targets, receptions and yards but low TD numbers. I regret letting this thread convince me that things would turn out differently with a transcendent talent like Julio.

IMO put a guy like Julio under Todd Haley (or Scott Linehan most years) and he puts up crazy pinball numbers.
Shanahan just started there this year. Julio's numbers in terms of TD's vs Yards is pretty consistent to his pre-shanahan years so I don't think this is due to Kyle.

Julio has only had more then 8 TD's ONCE in his 5 year career.

Shanahan just started there this year. Julio's numbers in terms of TD's vs Yards is pretty consistent to his pre-shanahan years so I don't think this is due to Kyle.

Julio has only had more then 8 TD's ONCE in his 5 year career.
The problem is Matt Ryan does not look his way in the end zone. Part of why he has not become an elite QB. He rather throw to an old and covered Roddy White.

You cant knock a guy who catches over 100 passes for not scoring if not given more than short routes.

Users who are viewing this thread