What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (2 Viewers)

I've owned Jones since he came into the league, up until I traded him a couple of weeks ago.  So I've watched the Falcons a lot and there are several things you can count on each and every week:

1. Matt Ryan will underthrow him on every long play and he'll get tackled at the 10.

2. Julio will then pull himself from the game, which I'm pretty sure he does after every catch longer than 10 yards. I've never seen someone take himself out of the game after seemingly every catch as much as he does. A lot of players do this nowadays and it drives me nuts. Can anyone here who's ever played sports imagine pulling yourself from a game after making a big play?  Can you see Emmitt Smith doing this?  No, you want the ball again.

3. Matt Ryan can be laser sharp everywhere else on the field, but he will make 5 awful throws to Julio in the end zone that are nowhere close.
same, and pretty much agree.

I was also starting to realize a couple weeks ago what the article above (Why Can’t Julio Jones Score Any Touchdowns?) says.

"Almost half of his catches since 2017 have come on some form of slant route, dig route, deep crosser, drag or post—routes, in other words, that attack aggressively inside."

Watching a couple weeks ago, I felt like he does so much damage on crossing routes and gets in situations where it is hard for him to get vertical breakaways.  I was more cognizant this year of how many times he gets taken down near the end zone on plays where he just can't seem to straighten himself out in time and inevitably is off balance and/or gets caught.

Didn't see the game on Sunday, but was there a main reason for Julio's amazing stat line?
Ravens controlled the clock. I believe the falcons ran 4 plays in the third quarter, a 3 and out and then 1 play before the 4th quarter started. He also had a couple of bad drops. Falcons offense in general did terrible. 

Didn't see it either but I thought it had to be time of possession.  Stats were terrible across the board for Ryan, Coleman (zero points), Julio, Ridley, etc.  1 Hooper TD and that's it.  I didn't need Julio last week - do now in week 1 of playoffs.  Hope the Falcons haven't quit.

Didn't see it either but I thought it had to be time of possession.  Stats were terrible across the board for Ryan, Coleman (zero points), Julio, Ridley, etc.  1 Hooper TD and that's it.  I didn't need Julio last week - do now in week 1 of playoffs.  Hope the Falcons haven't quit.
:goodposting:

I’m looking to trade him this off-season. Not sure what I’m going to get but I’ll have some takers.

Tex

They get Green Bay this week; I like their chances of getting back on track.

I’m looking to trade him this off-season. Not sure what I’m going to get but I’ll have some takers.

Tex
Let's say hypothetically.....I'm a guy looking to trade FOR him this offseason. Given everything with him; age, injuries. etc etc, what would you, the owner, like to receive in return?

In general terms I guess. Picks? RB1? RB2? You need a star in return? Whatever.

Let's say hypothetically.....I'm a guy looking to trade FOR him this offseason. Given everything with him; age, injuries. etc etc, what would you, the owner, like to receive in return?

In general terms I guess. Picks? RB1? RB2? You need a star in return? Whatever.
In my situation I would try to get younger at the same position. Something like JJ+two 2nds for Mike Thomas.

or a similar package for someone like Kittle.

I have a load of pics and I have to make it count.

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
The time to trade him was last offseason. Now he’ll be 30 and his team spent a 1st on another WR who has shined in limited duty. The arrow is firmly pointing downward. I felt lucky to get the 1.2 pick last year for him which I then moved for Tyreek prior to the NFL Draft and Guice’s tumble.

How do guys normally play with the flu?  

Julio Jones was sent home Thursday because of an illness.

He sat out Wednesday's practice with a foot injury, and now he is also dealing with an illness. Coach Dan Quinn expects Jones to return on Friday, however, and there has not been any concern about his availability for the weekend. Even in a tough matchup, Jones will be a solid WR1 against the Cardinals.

Ridley should have a big day if Julio doesn't suit up.  Don't expect much benefit for anyone else - maybe Hooper gets an additional look or two in the red zone.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Julio Jones (hip, ribs) is "trending up" but remains a game-time decision.

Schefter specifies it is the rib injury which is giving Jones trouble. It sounds like Jones is on the good side of questionable right now, but he still needs to prove himself in pre-game warmups to get the green light. If he plays, Jones will be a locked-in WR1.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Dec 22 - 11:54 PM

Anyone starting Julio this week? Tremblay has him projected with the same numbers as Josh Reynolds and Kenny Stills and below Ridley and Sanu.

Anybody think there is anything to him retiring early?  Seemed to be some rumblings about it this past summer.  Will he make it 10 years?

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Julio Jones will be limited during minicamp because of a foot injury.

Jones reported for minicamp on Monday after skipping the voluntary portions of the offseason program, but it does not sound like he will get in much work this week. Jones was limited by a foot injury near the end of last season, but it is not clear if this issue is related. Either way, there does not appear to be much concern at this point.

SOURCE: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter

Jun 10, 2019, 11:13 AM ET

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Falcons expect to strike a long-term agreement with Julio Jones before training camp.

Per Russini, the Falcons are "confident" it will happen. Jones seems to agree, as he reported for mandatory minicamp instead of sitting out in an attempt to force a resolution. Headed into his age-30 season, Jones is currently signed through 2020.

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Jun 18, 2019, 1:57 PM ET

spoiler alert: he's Thehuddle.com #1 WR for 2019. not really going out on a limb there, but Dirk Koetter is going to bring back the Julio magic.

What percentage of an auction budget would you spend on him? 15%? More?
In my main auction redraft he will go for around 50/200, maybe a few more, and I'd be willing to pay it.

To put it another way, 15% would be extremely cheap for Julio in my league. But, every league is different. Roster sizes can affect this a great deal, so can scoring, etc.

What percentage of an auction budget would you spend on him? 15%? More?
In my partial keeper/auction league, I have him for $44 of a $165 budget. Think I'm going to let him go back in the pool.

In my league FWIW, an elite WR 1 could cost $50, but generally goes for about 25% of total cap.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports a Julio Jones extension is the Falcons' "most pressing priority," but that it could "take a while."

The Grady Jarrett deck was going to be cleared either way on Monday, and it was in the form of a new four-year deal. For his part, Jones — who is signed through 2020 — has said he will not hold out. The Falcons are a team that likes to get out in front on extensions. Jones seems likely to get one before Week 1.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 15, 2019, 3:06 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Julio Jones will report for the start of Falcons training camp on Sunday.

Jones is seeking a new contract but has no plans to hold out, according to Schefter. Julio's long-awaited extension should come to fruition shortly and when it does, it could very well make him the highest-paid receiver in football. Coming off his second receiving yards title in 2018, the nine-year vet is on a Hall of Fame trajectory.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 21, 2019, 8:56 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread