What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (2 Viewers)

Coach Dan Quinn said Julio Jones (foot) is still in the rehab process after sitting out minicamp.

Jones came onto the field with his Falcons teammates Monday as camp opened, but he was limited to side-field work with the training staff. Jones was bothered by a foot issue at the end of last season and has a history of foot injuries. In the grand scheme, this isn't that big of a deal as long as it doesn't linger. At 30 years old, Jones doesn't have to be out there for the start of camp. We don't envision this being anything more than a day-to-day issue.

SOURCE: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Jul 22, 2019, 11:46 AM ET

Coach Dan Quinn said Julio Jones (foot) is 10-14 days away from being fully cleared to practice.

There's obviously no rush here. Jones will be ready in plenty of time for Week 1 and likely won't play much, if at all, in the preseason. The 30-year-old enters the year as an upper-echelon WR1 for fantasy purposes. Jones has missed just three games in the last five seasons, leading the league in receiving twice in that span.

SOURCE: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter

Jul 24, 2019, 11:52 AM ET

Julio Jones (foot) is running routes at full speed.

Jones has been working back from a foot injury, but he looks ready to go for the Falcons' season opener. The Pro Bowl receiver isn't expected to suit up for preseason action in an attempt to lower his reps. Jones is among the favorites to lead the NFL in receiving yards again in 2019.

SOURCE: AJC.com

Aug 13, 2019, 2:25 PM ET

Not sure what this is about if anything.

Julio Jones said he "doesn't know" if he'll play against the Vikings in Week 1.

In the words of longtime Falcons beat writer D. Orlando Ledbetter, it was a bizarre scene. Ledbetter said Jones was "battling through something physical or emotional." Jones said he didn't know if he would play against the Vikings before then saying he "plans" to give it a go. He hinted at an injury issue beyond his contract situation. In other words, weird. Very, very weird. It's hard to believe Jones won't be out there against the Vikings, but there is clearly something going on here that the public is not privy to. Jones' situation will be updated no later than Friday afternoon.

SOURCE: Kelsey Conway on Twitter

Sep 5, 2019, 4:06 PM ET

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/466/julio-jones

Last edited by a moderator:

In the words of longtime Falcons beat writer D. Orlando Ledbetter, it was a bizarre scene. Ledbetter said Jones was "battling through something physical or emotional." Jones said he didn't know if he would play against the Vikings before then saying he "plans" to give it a go. He hinted at an injury issue beyond his contract situation. In other words, weird. Very, very weird. It's hard to believe Jones won't be out there against the Vikings, but there is clearly something going on here that the public is not privy to. Jones' situation will be updated no later than Friday afternoon.

Wow. That’s kind of a shocking development. 

I wonder if he had a setback with his toe? 

Kinda regretting not investing in Calvin Ridley this year. 

We sure this isn't just pressure to make sure his deal is done before Sunday?

We sure this isn't just pressure to make sure his deal is done before Sunday?
That's what I was thinking. Not sure what the "bizarre scene" was about or what was "very, very, weird". I get not being comfortable playing without a new deal, especially with the foot issues he's had in the past. I had him the year he broke his foot and I was concerned when he had a "foot issue" all summer. Hoping this is just agent speak and that his foot is fine.

The Falcons officially attributed Julio Jones' limited Thursday practice to "rest."

That clears up very little. In a strange post-practice presser, Jones said he might not suit up for Sunday's opener before then just as quickly saying he "planned" to play. He was talking within the context of his contract situation, but Jones also seemed to make vague allusions to a physical issue. It's quite possible those words were just misconstrued in a bizarre presser. Whatever is going on between Jones and the Falcons is ultimately unlikely to hold him out in Minnesota but obviously his status cannot be taken for granted right now.

SOURCE: Jason Butt on Twitter

Sep 5, 2019, 4:52 PM ET

from the athletic:

ATLANTA FALCONS

Jason Butt (columns), @JasonHButt

Q: If Julio Jones doesn’t have a new deal done by Sunday, do you think he will sit out? 

A: I’d put the odds at 1 percent that he sits without a new deal. It’s not in his character to do so. He would also be leaving his teammates after showing up to OTAs, training camp and beginning the practicing week with them. For someone who preaches accountability in the Falcons’ locker room, it would be a devastatingly bad look for Jones not to play. Never say never, I suppose, but it would be a big surprise for not only those who cover the team, but for the front office itself if Jones elected to sit if a contract isn’t reached by game time.

from the athletic:

ATLANTA FALCONS

Jason Butt (columns), @JasonHButt

Q: If Julio Jones doesn’t have a new deal done by Sunday, do you think he will sit out? 

A: I’d put the odds at 1 percent that he sits without a new deal. It’s not in his character to do so. He would also be leaving his teammates after showing up to OTAs, training camp and beginning the practicing week with them. For someone who preaches accountability in the Falcons’ locker room, it would be a devastatingly bad look for Jones not to play. Never say never, I suppose, but it would be a big surprise for not only those who cover the team, but for the front office itself if Jones elected to sit if a contract isn’t reached by game time.
:thanks:

NFL.com's Tom Pelissero has reported that the Falcons and Julio Jones are finalizing a multi-year extension.

The extension will reportedly make Jones the NFL's highest-paid receiver. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport added that the deal should end up at three years and be worth roughly $66 million. Pelissero noted that while there are still minor issues to work out, the deal should be done today. Jones showed some hesitation throughout the week in regards to his game status without a new contract, but those issues should be put to rest with confirmation of this deal. He's expected to be shadowed by Xavier Rhodes Sunday against the Vikings, although it's a winnable matchup against a cornerback who was significantly better in 2016-2017 than 2018.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter.

Sep 7, 2019, 11:08 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter has reported that Julio Jones has signed a three-year extension worth $66 million with $64 million guaranteed at signing.

Jones and the Falcons are tied together for the next five seasons. The deal makes Jones the NFL's highest-paid receiver. He'll suit up Sunday for the team's Week 1 matchup against the Vikings and is expected to be shadowed by Xavier Rhodes.

Sep 7, 2019, 1:25 PM ET

Got Julio at 1.10 in my redraft league. I haven’t had him on a team for quite awhile....looking forward to the season ahead.

Julio Jones caught 5-of-10 targets for 106 yards and two touchdowns in the Falcons' Week 2 win over the Eagles.

Jones was held in check outside of a short touchdown pass from Matt Ryan going into the final two minutes of the game. With the Falcons facing a fourth down, he exploded for 54 yards down the sideline for a game-sealing second score. This was a nice breakout for Jones after getting held to 31 yards in the season opener. Jones is locked in as a high-end WR1 for Week 3 against the Colts.

Sep 16, 2019, 12:03 AM ET

Julio Jones (hip) did not practice Wednesday.

This is a situation worth monitoring, but Jones has been able to play through injuries for most of his career. Jones will likely need to get in a limited practice by Friday to play in a dreamy matchup against the Cardinals this week. We'll have an update tomorrow.

SOURCE: Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 8:29 PM ET

Julio Jones caught 8-of-9 targets for 108 yards in the Falcons' Week 6 loss to the Cardinals.

Jones had a bounceback game after two subpar performances in Weeks 4 and 5, but we were never worried about Jones' production. With the Falcons' defense allowing points in bunches, Matt Ryan should continue to forced to drop back 40+ times more often than not, which will keep Julio in the mix for the WR1 overall each week. Jones and the Falcons are coming back home for a game against the Rams next Sunday.

Remarkably this is my first time owning Julio. I've been happy with the TD output actually.

The thing that's always given me pause about drafting him is his mysterious lack of TDs. He's only had one season of 9+ TDs in his career.

He's on pace for 11. 

Remarkably this is my first time owning Julio. I've been happy with the TD output actually.

The thing that's always given me pause about drafting him is his mysterious lack of TDs. He's only had one season of 9+ TDs in his career.

He's on pace for 11. 
Defenses shift coverage toward him.  His QB throws a ####ty ball - Ryan constantly puts the ball just out of reach, rather than letting Julio pluck the ball out of thin air in coverage.  He’s a beast - but he’s treated like a chihuahua by his QB in the red zone.

Defenses shift coverage toward him.  His QB throws a ####ty ball - Ryan constantly puts the ball just out of reach, rather than letting Julio pluck the ball out of thin air in coverage.  He’s a beast - but he’s treated like a chihuahua by his QB in the red zone.
Not trying to disagree but if this is the case then why do the other falcons achieve these types of plays almost every week?  Some of the catches Hooper and Ridley have made, in particular, are just what you are describing that Ryan doesn't do.  

I don't know what it IS, but I know when I owned Julio about 4-6 years ago in a dynasty, it was mind numbingly frustrating.  He would single handedly destroy my opponent....every once in a while....and then when he would have great matchups, week after week, I would be looking at 8.5 ff points and be like "how?!?   How was this possible?"

And to be honest, I know I carried a little extra "personal pain" with him because it seemed like I ALWAYS found myself in a position where all I needed was just an average output from him.  Just give me 5-6 catches and 70 and I'm a winner...and I would always fall short while, meanwhile, Freaking AJ Green (who was pretty much supposed to be interchangeable with Julio at the time) was constantly going off for 8/146/2 every stinking week (it seemed).  Such a misuse of talent. 

Julio Jones caught 6-of-9 targets for 93 yards in the Falcons' Week 7 loss to the Rams.

Jones was something of a bright spot for the Falcons on a dismal afternoon. Doing frequent battle with newest Ram Jalen Ramsey, Jones got his counterpart's number more than once. Jones' attention now turns to the health of Matt Ryan, who departed Sunday in the fourth quarter with a balky right foot. The Falcons host the Seahawks for Week 8, which would be an easily winnable matchup for Jones under normal circumstances.

Oct 20, 2019, 5:16 PM ET

Julio Jones caught 10-of-12 targets for 152 yards in the Falcons' Week 8 loss to the Seahawks.

Jones was unbelievable. He made multiple contested catches and showed his elite athleticism over the middle on intermediate passes. Expectations were somewhat limited with Matt Schaub at quarterback, but Jones showed he can carry an offense without Matt Ryan. The Falcons will head into their bye with the entire coaching staff on the hot seat, but Jones is still rolling despite the team in contention for a top-five overall pick. Julio is on pace for 100 catches, 1,424 yards, and eight.

Julio Jones caught 3-of-9 targets for 79 yards in the Falcons' Week 10 win over the Saints.

Jones was being shadowed by Marshon Lattimore until the Saints’ No. 1 CB exited the game with a thigh injury. Matt Ryan managed to hook up with his long-time No. 1 WR for a 54-yard completion on a deep crosser late in the second quarter, but the duo was otherwise mostly quiet. Jones has now failed to find the end zone in six consecutive games. Perhaps he’ll snap out of the scoreless streak next week against the Panthers. No. 1 Panthers CB James Bradberry (groin) likely won’t be operating at 100%.

I'm guessing the Falcons are going to announce they're really going to focus on getting him the ball in the Red Zone. Again.

Julio Jones caught 6-of-8 targets for 91 yards in the Falcons' Week 11 win over the Panthers.

His rushing attempt lost four yards. Jones' big play was a 48-yard deep ball with Luke Kuechly in coverage that put the Falcons inside the five-yard line. Jones hasn't scored since Week 3 but will have a great chance to ending this skid next week against the sorry Bucs' secondary.

Julio Jones (foot) wasn't listed on the Falcons' final injury report

Jones is good to go for Sunday's matchup against the Buccaneers. He's failed to score in seven consecutive regular season games in three seasons during his career. His first streak in 2014 was followed by 5-68-1, 10-189-1 and 11-259-1 performances, while Jones overcame last season's infamous drought with 7-121-1, 7-107-1 and 6-118-1 lines. Julio has scored and/or surpassed 100 yards in 11-of-15 career matchups against the Buccaneers. Continue to fire up Jones as a weekly high-end WR1, regardless of the matchup.

SOURCE: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Nov 22, 2019, 2:45 PM ET

Julio Jones caught 5-of-9 targets for 68 yards in the Falcons' Week 12 loss to the Bucs.

Jones did not play the entire game. He stayed in the locker room after halftime to get his shoulder checked out and missed a portion of the 4th quarter with the Falcons down multiple scores. It looks like Julio avoided a major shoulder injury, but his practices are worth monitoring this week. Julio will be a high-floor, high-upside WR1 against the Saints in Week 13, assuming he's healthy. He's averaged 93 yards per game against New Orleans in his career.

The fantasy footballers like to talk about "first impression bias" which is the idea that what you see at the start of the season influences your perceptions the rest of the way.

Case in point, Julio started out on fire, with 4 TDs in the 1st 3 weeks.  The fact that he has since gone 8 games without finding the endzone hasn't been enough to shake the perception that his scoring is up this season.

Are we at risk of less use later in the season due to Falcons being out of it or does he always play out the season? Anyone pick up Gage to cover that?

Users who are viewing this thread