What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Arian Foster - Time to sell is now? (1 Viewer)

doowain

Footballguy
Time to sell Arian Foster? Or has the time for peak value already passed?Sure, he's the #3 RB in PPR leagues right now. But there are some concerns here.1. He's averaging a very poor 3.8 ypc behind what is supposed to be a Top 5 OL. Who is he? BJGE? I admit I haven't watched all of the Texans games, but I have Sunday Ticket and have seen my fair share. Seems like the run game has been all stretch plays this year? I could be wrong, but they don't seem to be running between the tackles much. Have teams caught up?2. Not getting looks in the passing game. One of the big reasons he's been bust-proof week to week over the last couple seasons is his involvement on screens. He has 20 catches on 34 targets for 107 yards (proj. 32 on 55 for 171 yards) while having 53 on 72 for 617 yards last season.3. His value has been saved by TDs. And it's kept his value high. Maybe higher than it should.4. He's on pace for an insane 398 carries. We all know the history for how that turns out for RBs with 370+ carries the next year (Larry Johnson, Terrell Davis, Ricky Williams, Eddie George, etc). This might be the biggest red flag of all. Without Tate in the mix, they can't get Foster a breather. Forsett? Uh, no.We all know we have to trade our studs eventually if we want to maximize their value. Either that or ride them til their wheels fall off. Is it time to trade Foster? Will he be one of those players whose value remains higher than his production going forward? Or will his numbers (ypc and receptions) come back to the norm for him in 2013?

ETA: Changed thread title as the subject line was lost on the migration to the new format

Last edited by a moderator:
I did. I needed a qb and was able to get Rodgers and Ridley. That said, it was still hard to do which shows the value of Foster. It really depends on what you can get for him. The Texans are going to ride him

I did. I needed a qb and was able to get Rodgers and Ridley. That said, it was still hard to do which shows the value of Foster. It really depends on what you can get for him. The Texans are going to ride him
That's part of the problem. I fear they are going to ride him into the ground.

Tate has been out 3w in a row. They would give more COP to Tate than they do with Forsett. (But losing carries to Tate would also reduce Foster's value a bit.)

Tate has been out 3w in a row. They would give more COP to Tate than they do with Forsett. (But losing carries to Tate would also reduce Foster's value a bit.)
Agreed on Tate taking away from Foster's value. Him not being healthy has also kept his value higher as there was real concern they were heading towards more of a timeshare in the offseason.Although, it's not like they've really leaned on Foster a ton more with Tate injured. With Tate healthy, he was still on pace for 384 carries on the year.

As far as rushing stats... in the first half Arian Foster has a 5.22 ypc (122 carries for 585 yards) and 6 TDs.

In the second half he has a 2.66 ypc (137 for 364 yards) and 4 TDs.

This is a case where the stats paint a pretty good picture of what went on, especially early season. The Texans were opening up 17-20 point leads by half or in the 3rd quarter, and then went conservative, avoiding turnovers and letting their defense finish off the game.

The last half of the season that's the been the case less (trailed the Packers, didn't pull away from Bills until late but Foster ran well in 4th quarter, Jags come from behind, Bears mud bowl).

But the net story on Foster is that in past seasons the Texans were pounding the ball in the 2nd half, against defenses who got tired moving laterally against the Texans stretch plays. This year the combination of conservative play calling and the line not being as strong against teams keying on the run is keeping his second half stats down compared to in the past. His 1st half YPC the last 2 years was 4.61 so he's actually running better in the first half than in the past. But his 2nd half YPC used to be 4.8 and as stated, now has dropped to 2.66. He gets more pressure in the backfield now and I think we see more negative yardage plays than in the past due to the line play.

I own him in both a salary contract dynasty and in an unlimited keeper and will keep him for at least a few more years. There's no saying whether Houston will continue to have big leads in the next two years, or whether the defense may regress. Wade Phillips may leave to be a head coach, he was already showing interest in that after last season. The O-line could get better or worse. Since they'll have had a year to gel (barring drafting a RT), I tend to expect things to improve as far as the run blocking.

Yes it might be that his value will never go higher than it is, so in hindsight we may look back and say this is a good selling point. But there's also reason to think it's likely his stats may climb higher. And it isn't like he's not performing at a difference making level right now. I think the odds of him playing with uber studliness over the next 2-3 years are probably as good or better as the odds I replace his value in a trade, so I'll keep him.

Yes, absolutely. I still think he'll have a few good years by virtue of opportunity, but I don't think he's really an incredible player and his age is going to drag down his trade value a lot in the near future. Anyone who has played dynasty for a few years should know how hard it is to get fair value for a 27-28 year old RB or a 29-30 year old WR. People just don't want to buy them.

Yes, absolutely. I still think he'll have a few good years by virtue of opportunity, but I don't think he's really an incredible player and his age is going to drag down his trade value a lot in the near future. Anyone who has played dynasty for a few years should know how hard it is to get fair value for a 27-28 year old RB or a 29-30 year old WR. People just don't want to buy them.
Of course. Clearly you have to finish the season with him, but this offseason is prime selling time. There is nowhere for his value to go but down. I guess you could assume that he holds his value the entire 2013 season, but you are taking a big chance that he doesn't nosedive next year, whether it's as a result of an injury or just further decline in his efficiency.I think it's much more likely his value declines than stays the same/increases.

I want nothing to do with Foster. I would sell if I had him. I suspect we see much more Tate next season. It's even possible in the NFL playoffs Tate may make a imprint by out playing Foster. Just a hunch

I really think this is his last top 5 season ever.

Absolutely, I sold him beginning of the season, been burned too many times with guys like Priest, LJ, DWill, Chris Johnson where you could get a king's ransom but got greedy and held them too long. I would even look to get a player at another position if he was young and almost a sure fire top3-5 for the next 4-5 years.

I'm not sure if I agree with all the "jumping ship" going on. Arian Foster just turned 26 and is in only his 3rd season as a full time starter.

For comparison:

Since becoming starters with their prospective teams:

Arian Foster - 3 seasons - 854 carries and 139 receptions. Turned 26 in August.

Ray Rice - 4 seasons - 1,016 carries and 257 receptions. Turns 26 in January.

Adrian Peterson - 6 seasons - 1601 carries and 166 receptions. Turns 27 in March.

LeSean McCoy - 3 seasons - 657 carries and 166 receptions. Turned 25 in July.

As far as touches goes, Foster doesn't seem to be at such a ridiculous pace that you should be scared to death of him. I know these are different kinds of runners, but it seems to me that if Adrian Peterson still has a couple years left in him, Arian should have at least a couple years left in him.

I want nothing to do with Foster. I would sell if I had him. I suspect we see much more Tate next season. It's even possible in the NFL playoffs Tate may make a imprint by out playing Foster. Just a hunchI really think this is his last top 5 season ever.
Tate has had plenty of opportunity to take this job away and he hasn't. Tate just isn't as good as Foster and he can't stay healthy. When will people let this idea die."I'm worried that hes getting too many carries and his value is inflated by regular goal line tds"You guys have problems Charles and Mathews owners would kill for.

I want nothing to do with Foster. I would sell if I had him. I suspect we see much more Tate next season. It's even possible in the NFL playoffs Tate may make a imprint by out playing Foster. Just a hunchI really think this is his last top 5 season ever.
Tate has had plenty of opportunity to take this job away and he hasn't. Tate just isn't as good as Foster and he can't stay healthy. When will people let this idea die."I'm worried that hes getting too many carries and his value is inflated by regular goal line tds"You guys have problems Charles and Mathews owners would kill for.
No kidding.I'll take the most consistent back in the league, any day of the week. This was Foster's first week getting under 14 points in a game, first game without a TD.

4th Quarter yesterday:

3-1-JAC3 (7:40) A.Foster left guard to JAX 1 for 2 yards (R.Allen).

1-1-JAC1 (7:00) A.Foster left tackle to JAX 1 for no gain (P.Posluszny).

2-1-JAC1 (6:22) A.Foster left end to JAX 1 for no gain (J.Stanford).

3-1-JAC1 (5:42) M.Schaub pass short middle to G.Graham for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

Of course I lost my game by 6 and my opponent had Schaub, 12 point swing.

Ouch!

I sold him for Calvin 2 weeks ago, which was really tough and I felt I should have got a bit extra but I shopped him and it's the best I could get. There are a lot of negative signs. As for problems a Mathews owner would kill for, I can't get anything for Mathews. You can still get a ton for Foster. I cashed out and I'm not losing any sleep. I'll take another 8 years of Calvin Johnson being top 5 over 2 years of a top 10 rb.

'ridleyman said:
I'm not sure if I agree with all the "jumping ship" going on. Arian Foster just turned 26 and is in only his 3rd season as a full time starter. For comparison:Since becoming starters with their prospective teams:Arian Foster - 3 seasons - 854 carries and 139 receptions. Turned 26 in August.Ray Rice - 4 seasons - 1,016 carries and 257 receptions. Turns 26 in January.Adrian Peterson - 6 seasons - 1601 carries and 166 receptions. Turns 27 in March.LeSean McCoy - 3 seasons - 657 carries and 166 receptions. Turned 25 in July.As far as touches goes, Foster doesn't seem to be at such a ridiculous pace that you should be scared to death of him. I know these are different kinds of runners, but it seems to me that if Adrian Peterson still has a couple years left in him, Arian should have at least a couple years left in him.
You comparing Peterson and Foster is not going to turn out well for you. And it's not the durability the season following a career carries threshold its the season after a HUGE workload. History dictates that Foster may be screwed.

'donkshow said:
'asuterlowe said:
'Billy Ball Thorton said:
No kidding.I'll take the most consistent back in the league, any day of the week. This was Foster's first week getting under 14 points in a game, first game without a TD.
I think you guys are missing the point. Feel free to ignore the red flags. But you may end up holding the bag when his stock plummets.

'asuterlowe said:
The only thing holding Tate back is injury, he is a very good RB. He ran the ball 175 time for 942 at 5.4 ypc and thats not good? Foster Avg. 4.4 in the same year.Fast forward a year and he's avg. 3.8ypc now imo thats not very good. Foster right now is a product of situation as 3.8 ypc is not talent.

Id rather not derail this into yet another Tate vs Foster argument. There are apparently some people that think that a RB leading the league in TDs with 12 and 4th in rushing yards is in danger of losing his job. I'm not undervaluing Tate, but if you consider Foster average talent you are obviously not watching him play.

As to his dynasty value, he's only 26 and I doubt you are going to be able to deal him for another top 5 like Trent or Doug Martin. If youre a rebuilding team, you could deal him for a package and fix some holes, but to sell high at this point is an overreaction.

Id rather not derail this into yet another Tate vs Foster argument. There are apparently some people that think that a RB leading the league in TDs with 12 and 4th in rushing yards is in danger of losing his job. I'm not undervaluing Tate, but if you consider Foster average talent you are obviously not watching him play.As to his dynasty value, he's only 26 and I doubt you are going to be able to deal him for another top 5 like Trent or Doug Martin. If youre a rebuilding team, you could deal him for a package and fix some holes, but to sell high at this point is an overreaction.
Next off-season will be the 3rd where Foster's in danger of losing his job to Tate. Tate owners are getting antsy.

'asuterlowe said:
The only thing holding Tate back is injury, he is a very good RB. He ran the ball 175 time for 942 at 5.4 ypc and thats not good? Foster Avg. 4.4 in the same year.Fast forward a year and he's avg. 3.8ypc now imo thats not very good. Foster right now is a product of situation as 3.8 ypc is not talent.
How do you think what I posted about Foster's YPC in the first half versus second half plays into things?Do you also think the Vikings should switch RBs as Toby Gerhart (4.87 ypc last year) was better than Adrian Peterson (4.66)? And the Seahawks should switch to Leon Washington (4.68) who was better than Marshawn Lynch (4.22) last year?Or do you think perhaps big backs like Foster, Peterson and Lynch sometimes get focused on when in the game while the D doesn't key on the backups as much? And get more short yardage carries at the goal line, on third down, and running down the clock against stacked fronts?

To me its all about your specific team situation. My team is a contender. I have a very good team, albeit with some studs that aren't producing as they should.

I was offered Calvin + Murray recently for Foster/Tate. I turned it down.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that I'd rather have Calvin than Foster for the long term. But Foster is averaging about 1.5X the points of the #12 RB in my league. He's a rock solid difference maker, and the kind of guy that wins you titles. (As I did with this team last year).

Positional scarcity matters. I have other starter worthy RBs on my roster, (Charles, Stewart, MJD) but none of them offer any certainty on a weekly basis.

I guess I just feel Foster gives me the best chance to win a title right now. That's a player that's pretty hard to sell IMO.

'ridleyman said:
I'm not sure if I agree with all the "jumping ship" going on. Arian Foster just turned 26 and is in only his 3rd season as a full time starter. For comparison:Since becoming starters with their prospective teams:Arian Foster - 3 seasons - 854 carries and 139 receptions. Turned 26 in August.Ray Rice - 4 seasons - 1,016 carries and 257 receptions. Turns 26 in January.Adrian Peterson - 6 seasons - 1601 carries and 166 receptions. Turns 27 in March.LeSean McCoy - 3 seasons - 657 carries and 166 receptions. Turned 25 in July.As far as touches goes, Foster doesn't seem to be at such a ridiculous pace that you should be scared to death of him. I know these are different kinds of runners, but it seems to me that if Adrian Peterson still has a couple years left in him, Arian should have at least a couple years left in him.
You comparing Peterson and Foster is not going to turn out well for you. And it's not the durability the season following a career carries threshold its the season after a HUGE workload. History dictates that Foster may be screwed.
Not to mention you are comparing a physical freak (he may not be human) in Peterson, to Arian Foster. If Peterson played behind the line Foster has, had the weapons and quarterback that Foster has and played in that cupcake division he would have set so many records the last few years. To stay on topic I would cash out on Foster asap, if you are in contention I can see you riding the year out, but I would trade him for some picks and a player like Ridley or Spiller.

'ridleyman said:
:goodposting: I couldn't agree more. People are really overthinking this.Also, I wonder if people are selling Rice and Peterson too.

To me its all about your specific team situation. My team is a contender. I have a very good team, albeit with some studs that aren't producing as they should.

I was offered Calvin + Murray recently for Foster/Tate. I turned it down.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that I'd rather have Calvin than Foster for the long term. But Foster is averaging about 1.5X the points of the #12 RB in my league. He's a rock solid difference maker, and the kind of guy that wins you titles. (As I did with this team last year).

Positional scarcity matters. I have other starter worthy RBs on my roster, (Charles, Stewart, MJD) but none of them offer any certainty on a weekly basis.

I guess I just feel Foster gives me the best chance to win a title right now. That's a player that's pretty hard to sell IMO.
/thread.

'ridleyman said:
:goodposting: I couldn't agree more. People are really overthinking this.Also, I wonder if people are selling Rice and Peterson too.
Overthinking what?Can you defend the points I made above?This offseason, why wouldn't you sell a 27 year old running back coming off a nearly 400 carry season who has seen his performance decline across the board? Do you not remember Larry Johnson? And Larry was a far and away better RB (IMO anyway) than Foster.ETA: And I absolutely would move Peterson if I could get a Spiller/1st or Spiller/WR2 type package. Rice would be harder to move.

is Tate still under contract next year? At some point I figure he leaves for a starting gig
7/29/2010: Signed a four-year, $3.37 million contract. The deal contains $1.58 million guaranteed. 2012: $490,000, 2013: $575,000, 2014: Free Agent

No kidding you'd trade him for a younger top-10 RB and a 1st. I'm sure we'd all trade him for AJ Green or Trent Richardson too. Realistically though if you're moving him to get younger you're not getting an established elite younger guy back from any reasonably good owner without giving up something else significant in return.

If you have a playoff team for the next two years you ride him out; he's one of the handful of guys who can single-handedly bring home the trophy. If he's all you've got on a garbage team, then sure try to get a pile of prospects and picks.

No kidding you'd trade him for a younger top-10 RB and a 1st. I'm sure we'd all trade him for AJ Green or Trent Richardson too. Realistically though if you're moving him to get younger you're not getting an established elite younger guy back from any reasonably good owner without giving up something else significant in return.If you have a playoff team for the next two years you ride him out; he's one of the handful of guys who can single-handedly bring home the trophy. If he's all you've got on a garbage team, then sure try to get a pile of prospects and picks.
If you don't think you can get Spiller/1st for him, maybe you should check out the Dynasty In Season Trade thread.

For some context, here are some recent Foster trades:

Chris Johnson

J. Rodgers

Colston

V-Jax

D. Moore

Gates

for

Foster

Tate

Gerhart

Baldwin

F.Davis

Foster

Wilson

Celek

for

Chris Johnson

Wallace

Steve Smith Rams

V. Brown

Foster

Tate

for

Calvin

Arian Foster

Reggie Wayne

for

Chris Johnson

Julio Jones

'ridleyman said:
I'm not sure if I agree with all the "jumping ship" going on. Arian Foster just turned 26 and is in only his 3rd season as a full time starter.

For comparison:

Adrian Peterson - 6 seasons - 1601 carries and 166 receptions. Turns 27 in March.

As far as touches goes, Foster doesn't seem to be at such a ridiculous pace that you should be scared to death of him. I know these are different kinds of runners, but it seems to me that if Adrian Peterson still has a couple years left in him, Arian should have at least a couple years left in him.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it just a year or two ago where there was a dicsussion about the HUGE concerns because foster, turner, and ADP had had major workloads? I think its too easy and a bit lazy to just point to the Eddie georges, Jamal andersons, and those types of big-carry seasons and say the sky is falling. The NFL today is different. The players run differently, take different punishment, gain their production in different ways. Overall, I'm ok with having a "concern" talk if a guy has a huge workload, but I'm not ok with picking and choosing the players to be concerned about. That one year, all you heard was gloom and doom over Turner's workload but you never heard a peep about ADP. Its favortism, pure and simple and for whatever reason, Foster has had to prove the critics wrong every yard along the way his entire career.I have a feeling that Foster is going to be one of these guys that people are going to look back on and see that he had an LT-like career. He's going to have a good concentration of differenc-making years, he's going to have immense FF value, and he's going to have longivity and the people that try to get cute and try to sell him before he hits 27 or whatever the new fountain of youth age is these days are going to look back and say "i should have seen him more like a Thomas Jones or Willis mcGahee instead of a Larry johnson...Probably could have won a few more years".

'ridleyman said:

For comparison:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it just a year or two ago where there was a dicsussion about the HUGE concerns because foster, turner, and ADP had had major workloads? I think its too easy and a bit lazy to just point to the Eddie georges, Jamal andersons, and those types of big-carry seasons and say the sky is falling. The NFL today is different. The players run differently, take different punishment, gain their production in different ways. Overall, I'm ok with having a "concern" talk if a guy has a huge workload, but I'm not ok with picking and choosing the players to be concerned about. That one year, all you heard was gloom and doom over Turner's workload but you never heard a peep about ADP. Its favortism, pure and simple and for whatever reason, Foster has had to prove the critics wrong every yard along the way his entire career.I have a feeling that Foster is going to be one of these guys that people are going to look back on and see that he had an LT-like career. He's going to have a good concentration of differenc-making years, he's going to have immense FF value, and he's going to have longivity and the people that try to get cute and try to sell him before he hits 27 or whatever the new fountain of youth age is these days are going to look back and say "i should have seen him more like a Thomas Jones or Willis mcGahee instead of a Larry johnson...Probably could have won a few more years".
Looks as if you accidentally proved your own point wrong. You say you can't pick and choose who to be concerned about. The example you offer is AP vs. Turner. How has that turned out? Turner looks like he is running backwards and Peterson is having arguably the best season of his career.I think for all of those that oppose the stance to sell Foster based on the listed points, you may want to leave Peterson out of your comparison/argument.

As for Foster "having to prove the critics wrong", I don't get this argument. The backers complain that he doesn't get credit for what he does, don't compare him to this and that, put him on the same level as Peterson, Rice, etc. Instead of arguing the points given. The actual CONCRETE evidence we have (declining ypc, history of huge workload, etc). You'd rather take the little brother approach and just complain about him not getting his due. I've yet to see anyone actively try to refute the evidence.

I figure we have a bit longer to sell, once the obvious decline starts, based on his name value which will still be worth a lot when it comes time to sell him for real.

Right now, regardless of workload, he is still putting up the points.

I figure we have a bit longer to sell, once the obvious decline starts, based on his name value which will still be worth a lot when it comes time to sell him for real.Right now, regardless of workload, he is still putting up the points.
I would argue that the decline has already begun. TDs and volume is masking it.The whole idea here is to maximize his value. If you wait for the OBVIOUS decline, you won't get top value unless you get over on someone.

I figure we have a bit longer to sell, once the obvious decline starts, based on his name value which will still be worth a lot when it comes time to sell him for real.Right now, regardless of workload, he is still putting up the points.
I would argue that the decline has already begun. TDs and volume is masking it.The whole idea here is to maximize his value. If you wait for the OBVIOUS decline, you won't get top value unless you get over on someone.
My problem is he is a big part of my chance to win this year.I got left holding the bag on Turner and DWill (traded for both of them before their monster 08 seasons, and lost the champ game).In 09 I could have gotten a high 1st for Turner and didn't do it.I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm continually the 2-4 place team and lose in the semis or finals every year. Stuck between rebuilding and win-now every damn year.

I figure we have a bit longer to sell, once the obvious decline starts, based on his name value which will still be worth a lot when it comes time to sell him for real.

For the third time posting this... what conclusions do you think should be drawn from the fact Foster has averaged 5.22 ypc in the first half (a half yard better than his 2010-2011 ypc), but only 2.66 ypc in the 2nd half? If his ability to produce has declined due to age, why are his first half numbers markedly better? Or do those numbers suggest the game situations in the 2nd half have resulted in the team play calling differently, and that is what is driving his stats down so far?

His efficiency metrics are down this year. Whether that's due to him personally slowing down (at 26) or to losing two OL starters and his FB to free agency is open to debate. I haven't watched the Texans much, but when I have he still looked fine to me.The dynasty trade thread is pretty worthless too. Differences in formats, leagues, and a ton of just ridiculous nonsense in there. No decent dynasty owner is giving up Calvin, Spiller+, Julio+, etc for Arian Foster unless it's point per carry or something out of the norm like that. Chris Johnson and spare parts, sure, but Johnson's a year older than Foster, and that deal really hurts in the short term without addressing the long term issues you have with Foster himself.

For the third time posting this... what conclusions do you think should be drawn from the fact Foster has averaged 5.22 ypc in the first half (a half yard better than his 2010-2011 ypc), but only 2.66 ypc in the 2nd half? If his ability to produce has declined due to age, why are his first half numbers markedly better? Or do those numbers suggest the game situations in the 2nd half have resulted in the team play calling differently, and that is what is driving his stats down so far?
Ummm...you didn't ask me to draw any conclusions on his 1st/2nd half splits. That was someone else. So, FOR THE FIRST TIME BEING ASKED, I'll answer. I'm sure part is game situation, the defensive adjustments due to HOU having the lead. Perhaps part of it is him wearing down? It can't be all roses. Not with that large of a gap.And you are misreading my knock on his age. It's not that I think his performance has declined due to age. I'm questioning his value as it pertains to his age. Big difference. I'm questioning his performance based on the numbers.

How do you explain his non-existent use in the passing game compared to previous years?

His efficiency metrics are down this year. Whether that's due to him personally slowing down (at 26) or to losing two OL starters and his FB to free agency is open to debate. I haven't watched the Texans much, but when I have he still looked fine to me.The dynasty trade thread is pretty worthless too. Differences in formats, leagues, and a ton of just ridiculous nonsense in there. No decent dynasty owner is giving up Calvin, Spiller+, Julio+, etc for Arian Foster unless it's point per carry or something out of the norm like that. Chris Johnson and spare parts, sure, but Johnson's a year older than Foster, and that deal really hurts in the short term without addressing the long term issues you have with Foster himself.
Early in the year, sure they would. Foster was still a top 5 pick in dynasty startups this year.NOW they probably wouldn't. How much of that is because Foster's value has already declined in the eyes of dynasty owners?

I moved him last offseason in an effort to rebuild for 3 1sts (2012, 2013, 2014), a 2nd, and a 3rd.

2012 1st ended up being 1.10, and I traded it for 2 2nds in 2012, and one in 2013.

Not sure what you could get for Foster now, but in my league I'd say his value is close to where it was last offseason.

But I agree the TDs are masking a decline in performance. IMO he has another 2 top 10 seasons left in him.

'ridleyman said:

For comparison:

Looks as if you accidentally proved your own point wrong. You say you can't pick and choose who to be concerned about. The example you offer is AP vs. Turner. How has that turned out? Turner looks like he is running backwards and Peterson is having arguably the best season of his career.I think for all of those that oppose the stance to sell Foster based on the listed points, you may want to leave Peterson out of your comparison/argument.

As for Foster "having to prove the critics wrong", I don't get this argument. The backers complain that he doesn't get credit for what he does, don't compare him to this and that, put him on the same level as Peterson, Rice, etc. Instead of arguing the points given. The actual CONCRETE evidence we have (declining ypc, history of huge workload, etc). You'd rather take the little brother approach and just complain about him not getting his due. I've yet to see anyone actively try to refute the evidence.
Here's a great example of what he's talking about. Arian Foster was born September 24, 1986. Ray Rice was born less than 4 months later on January 22, 1987.Ray Rice has already had 1413 touches (1123 carries, 290 receptions). If he continues at his current pace at year's end he'll have had 1535 NFL touches.

Arian Foster has had 1055 touches (908 carries, 147 receptions). At his current pace he'll have 1216 NFL touches.

Why aren't we worried about Rice breaking down? They are essentially the same age for any purposes that matter, and Rice has endured the equivalent of an extra 300+ touch season.

The only difference is Foster's net ypc has dropped this year in the second half. I already posted his YPC. Let's compare what Houston and Baltimore are doing in play calling this year by half since we're comparing Rice and Foster.

Houston

1st half: 204 pass 151 rush

2nd half: 131 pass 194 rush

Baltimore:

1st half: 193 pass 121 rush

2nd half: 173 pass 122 rush

Almost looks like Houston has gone pretty one dimensional with the run late in the game because of game situation, while Baltimore is still running a normal offense in both halves, doesn't it?

If Gary Kubiak was passing the ball and using play action in the second half to make teams pay for playing the run, I expect we'd see Foster's average up where it normally is. But with their defense and over half their games having had huge leads by half or the end of the 3rd quarter, they haven't needed to. Take that into account when looking at Foster's performance this year. Last year the O-line was good enough it could dominate even against a lot of stacked fronts in the second half, but Houston wasn't playing with so many big leads... and really didn't have such leads in 2010. This year teams can close down the run if they sell out.

Yes, age will get to Foster some day, as will hits. But the actual situation this year suggests his performance is not about declining ability, and if we're going to base it on age and hits we should be just as worried about other players like Rice that you won't hear nearly so much about as you hear about Foster.

What anyone would have given up at the beginning of the year is pretty irrelevant to whether NOW is the time to trade him. Unless your team sucks, trading him NOW is totally a sucker move.

If your positions is "unload now, even at a loss, because the bottom is about to fall out" then we'll have to agree to disagree -- Foster is locked in with a huge contract and likely to provide fantasy RB1 production through 2014 at least.

If you're saying "generally try to move guys at their peak even if you take a small immediate hit so you're never left holding the bag" then I still disagree, but that discussion is at least worth having, if played out over the last 10+ years here. Championship banners fly forever.

Ummm...you didn't ask me to draw any conclusions on his 1st/2nd half splits. That was someone else. So, FOR THE FIRST TIME BEING ASKED, I'll answer. I'm sure part is game situation, the defensive adjustments due to HOU having the lead. Perhaps part of it is him wearing down? It can't be all roses. Not with that large of a gap.And you are misreading my knock on his age. It's not that I think his performance has declined due to age. I'm questioning his value as it pertains to his age. Big difference. I'm questioning his performance based on the numbers.

How do you explain his non-existent use in the passing game compared to previous years?
2010 and 2011 the Texans used Foster in the passing game not just because he can be a weapon in it but because they had to use him in the passing game.In 2012 they just plain haven't had to use him. They aren't throwing as much in general. They are moving the ball very well through the air and Matt Schaub looks more comfortable than he ever has. He's got plenty of time to throw and makes it through his progressions so he seldom reaches the point he needs to check down. There are very few screens or otherwise intended passes for Foster.

The receiver corp is improved and intact. Andre Johnson missed 12 out of 32 games in 2010-2011, has played every game this year. Having Owen Daniels back healthy (missed 1/3 of 2010 and wasn't himself at all in 2011) is also a big part of it. The play of James Casey who is a legitimate threat out of the backfield at FB is another part of it. Instead of Vonta Leach catching 8 passes in 2010 in 16 games you have Casey who is on pace to catch just under 40 balls. Casey basically only played a half season last year due to injury.

Incidentally I didn't say I'd asked you 3 times, I said I was posting it for the 3rd time. It is frustrating to point out a stat so incongruous that it shouldn't be ignored in evaluating this situation, yet no one had even given it a moment of discussion.

If you're saying "generally try to move guys at their peak even if you take a small immediate hit so you're never left holding the bag" then I still disagree, but that discussion is at least worth having, if played out over the last 10+ years here. Championship banners fly forever.
That would be my recommendation. Keep him until the end of the year if you're a playoff contender. Then sell him in the offseason. The arguments about "I'll take the wins now" are always an incredible over-simplification. They also rest on some faulty assumptions. We don't know that Foster will keep producing these gaudy FF totals. His YPC has dropped steadily and significantly over the last three seasons. His main value right now stems from his workload, not his own playmaking ability. That workload will certainly decrease next year (he is not going to get 400+ carries per season) and could drop precipitously if the coaches decide to mix in Tate more often. Moreover, it's entirely possible that whoever you trade him for will give more to your team this year and beyond. The idea that you have to keep him if you're playing to win doesn't really jive with me. It's quite possible that you can move him for a package that nets you more overall value, precisely because he's still a big name and a lot of people still think he's an awesome player who will them championships.

Just to summarize in one place...

If you want to downgrade Foster because you think over the next 2 years the Texans will not need to use him in the passing game any more than they have this year, because their receivers will be healthy and of this quality, and they won't need to pass to him, fair enough.

If you want to downgrade Foster because you think the line is going to get worse, fair enough.

If you want to downgrade Foster because you think the Texans will continue to be in game situations where second half performance will suffer, fair enough.

But if you're downgrading him mostly because you already see a lower ypc and are attributing that to age and wear and tear, you are probably not making a very well informed evaluation of the situation. If you're downgrading him due to those factors but not downgrading players like Rice and others for the same reasons, you're probably not being very consistent. Yes age is going to get to him like it gets to everyone. But there isn't much reason to think it's already getting to him.

That would be my recommendation. Keep him until the end of the year if you're a playoff contender. Then sell him in the offseason. The arguments about "I'll take the wins now" are always an incredible over-simplification. They also rest on some faulty assumptions. We don't know that Foster will keep producing these gaudy FF totals. His YPC has dropped steadily and significantly over the last three seasons. His main value right now stems from his workload, not his own playmaking ability. That workload will certainly decrease next year (he is not going to get 400+ carries per season) and could drop precipitously if the coaches decide to mix in Tate more often.

Moreover, it's entirely possible that whoever you trade him for will give more to your team this year and beyond. The idea that you have to keep him if you're playing to win doesn't really jive with me. It's quite possible that you can move him for a package that nets you more overall value, precisely because he's still a big name and a lot of people still think he's an awesome player who will them championships.
He's #2 in overall VBD right now. If you look up "awesome player who will win you championships" in any fantasy dictionary, you'll see his smiling face. The Texans just paid him a ton, he's been the most productive RB in the NFL since he started getting carries at the end of the 2009 season, and he just turned 26.If you're trading him to get more shelf life back, you're absolutely going to be taking a hit for this and next year, and likely 2014 / maybe even through 2016. Who could you realistically get for him that would extend your window and not be a big hit right now?

Users who are viewing this thread