What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman going forward (1 Viewer)

It seems to me that with Gronk's injury and Brandon Lloyd falling out of favor that Edelman could have a big impact going forward. Any Patriot homers have any thoughts on this?

I too am interested in this, but from the perspective of a Lloyd owner. I was thinking that the Gronk injury may give Lloyd additional targets - but am really tempted to drop him for T.Y. Hilton or Justin Blackmon.

Do Edelman and Lloyd play the same position?

I'm also interested in how Hernandez will impact Edelman's targets. And does Edelman continue to keep his return duties?

I'm also interested in how Hernandez will impact Edelman's targets. And does Edelman continue to keep his return duties?
It seemed that the Pats where trying to get Edelman involved early in the season, ( he was playing more snaps the Welker at the begining). My thought was they were trying to see if he could fill the Welker role so the Pats don't have to pay Welker next year. Then Edelman got hurt. Brady has struggled getting the deep ball to Loyd ( or Loyd has dropped them). I think now with Gronk out the Pats will do a lot of Dink and Dunk, and a heavy dose of run Game. I like Edelman in PPR, not a lot of upside but good for 5/6 catchs and 50-60 yards. He looked like the best playmaker on the field for the Pats outside of Gronk, so I don't see how they don't find ways to get him the ball more going forward.

I think I read earlier this year that Edelman may benefit next season more due to the contract situations around him.

I think I read earlier this year that Edelman may benefit next season more due to the contract situations around him.
You did, but I don't think it's true. Short term, Edelman will benefit because Hernandez isn't slated for every down touches yet and Lloyd really needs the 10 days rest, so he's not a bad play this week. Problem is Edelman is valued more for his blocking abilities, so all those snaps he sees in place of Hernandez will probably be run downs while Hernandez snaps will almost exclusively be passes. After this week I think Lloyd and Hernandez have their roles increased with Welker and Ridley maintaining their roles leaving Edelman to fight with Woodhead for the scraps. I would be surprised if Welker leaves and the Pats do not address WR in free agency/earl;y in the draft (again), so at best he's the #3 WR option (#5 passing game option) next year.

He's just a guy, but he fulfills a role the Pats desire (well) and cost effectively to boot.

I too am interested in this, but from the perspective of a Lloyd owner. I was thinking that the Gronk injury may give Lloyd additional targets - but am really tempted to drop him for T.Y. Hilton or Justin Blackmon. Do Edelman and Lloyd play the same position?
If you look at earlier in the year when Edelman was coming on (before he got hurt (hand)) with Hernandez out I thought maybe both were getting the work as Edelman got the intermediate routes and Lloyd the deeper ones.

For 1 Jets give up the 5th fewest fantasy points per game to WRs (18.2). Secondly, the Colts are horrible defensively and although he had a great game, I wouldnt put much stock into a repeat performance this week. I see the Patriots running more than usual in this game...I dont think Edelman reaches paydirt

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe he will ever be part of the A team, he just isn't good enough and has shown that time and again.

He will always have a place on the team, he is a great depth player and special teams player.

I'm very intrigued by Edelman right now...watching the Pats games this year it's very apparent that when he is healthy (which has been an issue) they want him involved and are becoming very comfortable with him...not only that but he really seems to have an extra zip this year and has the makings of a playmaker...right now I would roll the dice on him...with Gronk out, Hernandez dinged up, Branch gone and the Pats not having a ton of faith in Lloyd Edelman has a great opportunity to be very active...he has the potential to be a quality #3 WR in a PPR league and I would not hesitate to take him over Lloyd if given the choice between the two...

The Patriots offense is ALL about opportunity. We know Brady will throw it to anyone, so whoever is on the field are the prime candidates. Edelman took over the 2 WR set packages and pretty much kept him on the field on all plays. He is the clear winner. Belicheat has wanted to have him on the field since the start of the season, he's finally healthy to be able to do that. With the Gronk dead till the playoffs, I can easily see Edelman becoming the clear winner here. Welker is also all sorts of banged up.

Edelman may just have become the most valuable waiver wire pickup this year if he produces WR1 numbers like I am expecting the rest of the season.

Long term dynasty value is also off the charts with Welker expected to leave this offseason.

A look at the snaps played by Patriots skill-position players in the team’s 59-24 win over the Colts, while analyzing what it means (small margin for error):

QB Tom Brady – 58 of 61

WR Wes Welker – 57 of 61

WR Julian Edelman – 52 of 61

TE Rob Gronkowski – 50 of 61

WR Brandon Lloyd – 34 of 61

RB Stevan Ridley – 32 of 61

TE Visanthe Shiancoe – 26 of 61

RB Shane Vereen – 19 of 61

TE Michael Hoomanawanui – 15 of 61

RB Danny Woodhead – 11 of 61

WR Greg Salas – 6 of 61

QB Ryan Mallett – 3 of 61

WR Matthew Slater – 3 of 61

The Patriots offense is ALL about opportunity. We know Brady will throw it to anyone, so whoever is on the field are the prime candidates. Edelman took over the 2 WR set packages and pretty much kept him on the field on all plays. He is the clear winner. Belicheat has wanted to have him on the field since the start of the season, he's finally healthy to be able to do that. With the Gronk dead till the playoffs, I can easily see Edelman becoming the clear winner here. Welker is also all sorts of banged up.

Edelman may just have become the most valuable waiver wire pickup this year if he produces WR1 numbers like I am expecting the rest of the season.

Long term dynasty value is also off the charts with Welker expected to leave this offseason.

A look at the snaps played by Patriots skill-position players in the team’s 59-24 win over the Colts, while analyzing what it means (small margin for error):

QB Tom Brady – 58 of 61

WR Wes Welker – 57 of 61

WR Greg Salas – 6 of 61

I guess you didn't notice the first part of the season, where Edelman was on the field MORE often than Welker, and played terribly.

QB Tom Brady – 58 of 61

WR Wes Welker – 57 of 61

WR Greg Salas – 6 of 61

I guess you didn't notice the first part of the season, where Edelman was on the field MORE often than Welker, and played terribly.
And how did he play Sunday? Pretty sure he was the most explosive player on the field.

QB Tom Brady – 58 of 61

WR Wes Welker – 57 of 61

WR Greg Salas – 6 of 61

QB Tom Brady – 58 of 61

WR Wes Welker – 57 of 61

WR Greg Salas – 6 of 61

And how did he play Sunday? Pretty sure he was the most explosive player on the field.
It's the COLTS. Vegas line for this game:

Welker 6.5 rec

LLoyd 3.5 rec

Edelman 3.5 rec

'[icon] said:
'Beerguzzler said:
'Run It Up said:
'Beerguzzler said:

QB Tom Brady – 58 of 61

WR Wes Welker – 57 of 61

WR Greg Salas – 6 of 61

Welker 6.5 rec

LLoyd 3.5 rec

Edelman 3.5 rec
Ummmm, the Colts are 6-4. Stupid argument and rhetoric.

'[icon] said:
'Beerguzzler said:
'Run It Up said:
'Beerguzzler said:

QB Tom Brady – 58 of 61

WR Wes Welker – 57 of 61

WR Greg Salas – 6 of 61

Welker 6.5 rec

LLoyd 3.5 rec

Edelman 3.5 rec
Ummmm... Incorrect interpretation of the statement, rookie. Win loss Record is irrelevant. They've allowed the 12th most passing yards in the NFL. Jets are the 4th best. Use your noggin to interpret why that data might be more relevant than w-l record :lmao:

'[icon] said:
'Beerguzzler said:
'Run It Up said:
'Beerguzzler said:

QB Tom Brady – 58 of 61

WR Wes Welker – 57 of 61

WR Greg Salas – 6 of 61

Welker 6.5 rec

LLoyd 3.5 rec

Edelman 3.5 rec
Ummmm... Incorrect interpretation of the statement. Record is irrelevant. They've allowed the 12th most passing yards in the NFL.
So your discounting his value just because he played against an average defense? Guess there's no need to take into account that he moved into the base 2 WR lineup and that the Pats lost their biggest red zone threat. No need at all.

'[icon] said:
'Beerguzzler said:
'Run It Up said:
'Beerguzzler said:

QB Tom Brady – 58 of 61

WR Wes Welker – 57 of 61

WR Greg Salas – 6 of 61

Welker 6.5 rec

LLoyd 3.5 rec

Edelman 3.5 rec
Ummmm... Incorrect interpretation of the statement. Record is irrelevant. They've allowed the 12th most passing yards in the NFL.
So your discounting his value just because he played against an average defense? Guess there's no need to take into account that he moved into the base 2 WR lineup and that the Pats lost their biggest red zone threat. No need at all.
I'm saying people who think that Indy game was the new standard of what to expect from him will likely be disappointed. (particularly this week against a jets D that is one of the leagues best vs the pass) . And Indy is flirting with bottom third in the league in passing defense.... Maybe that's average to you but I set my sights a little higher. Regardless... They are not the jets.

So what type of line do you guys expect from him today?
6 rec, 60/70 yard type of game seems reasonable and realistic with Hernandez banged up as well.
I think that's a touch high but not unrealistic... I'd say 4-5 rec for around 45-50 yards give or take.Experts consensus at fantasy pros is 3.2 rec for 39 yards and 20pxt chance of TD. (Consensus WR no 66 in remaining games)Dodds has him on the low side of my numbers this week as well.

I guess it probably depends on the league. Mine is an IDP so it shows that he has 2 TD's (one as defensive), a fumble recovery + all of the yardage, so he's put up massive points so far. In non-IDP leagues then it might just be the 56 yard TD which is still not terrible for a flex play.

Is Welker definitely coming back next season? I could see Edelman's value skyrocketing if he took over Welker's role.

dropped B Lloyd for him in a keeper league before yesterday's game, and feel great about Edelman's future. Definitely has Welker upside.

Any new thoughts on Edelman's prospects?

Good matchup this week, but then BAL & SF, close with Jax.

Hernandez is looking like he's still not exploding.

Few targets for Edelman but if he stays healthy maybe he finally keeps doing more?

Any new thoughts on Edelman's prospects?Good matchup this week, but then BAL & SF, close with Jax.Hernandez is looking like he's still not exploding.Few targets for Edelman but if he stays healthy maybe he finally keeps doing more?
He is starting in the 2 WR sets over Lloyd now. I think he's a WR2 for the rest of the way. Probably about D. Alexander numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread