Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Louisville Slugger

Julian Edelman going forward

1 hour ago, menobrown said:

Not a fair fight based on stats. Welker had a younger Brady and got benefit of the attention defenses gave to  Moss and later Gronk/Hernandez. 

Welker got open as fast as any WR I've ever seen and consistently. Edelman is a little more versatile.

I think Welker fit better on the Moss/Gronk/Hernandez teams and Edelman fit better on the current version of the NE which required him to be more of a WR1.

I think they are closer than most give Edelman credit for because you immediately want to compare them from a stats standpoint which Edelman loses every time. NOT saying they’re interchangeable but not as far off as most prob think. Replace Welker with Edelman when he was playing and I don’t think there would be much of a drop off. 

But I agree with everyone else - Welker from a production standpoint was a total stud. 

Edited by Elevencents

Welker averaged 7.2 receptions and 80.2 yds/gm in the regular season and 7.7 catches and 76.2 yds/gm in the post season.

Edelman has averaged 6.4 receptions and 69.8 yds/gm in the regular season since becoming a starter. But 8.2 catches and 102.8 yds/gm in the post season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Welker averaged 7.2 receptions and 80.2 yds/gm in the regular season and 7.7 catches and 76.2 yds/gm in the post season.

Edelman has averaged 6.4 receptions and 69.8 yds/gm in the regular season since becoming a starter. But 8.2 catches and 102.8 yds/gm in the post season.

I think Edelman is hitting his groove.  Sure, he's gotten lit up with big hits, like Welker, but I get the sense this guy will be productive for several more years.

1 minute ago, Bad_Mo said:

I think Edelman is hitting his groove.  Sure, he's gotten lit up with big hits, like Welker, but I get the sense this guy will be productive for several more years.

Edelman is literally the only WR signed for next year, so there are nothing but ??? on who else will be there and whether Gronk will be back. Lots of uncertainty.

2 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Edelman is literally the only WR signed for next year, so there are nothing but ??? on who else will be there and whether Gronk will be back. Lots of uncertainty.

...and lots of cap, draft picks and options.  I'd love them to get Brown or Beckham but that will never happen.

Just now, Bad_Mo said:

...and lots of cap, draft picks and options.  I'd love them to get Brown or Beckham but that will never happen.

Lots of draft picks, yes. (Plus their 2018 draft class all returning from IR.) Not so much on the cap space. They have $16 million available based on who they have signed without any tweaking. That ranks 23rd in the league. Average is $34 million. The Colts have $107 million in cap space.

I don't see them ponying up the money to pay OBJ and there is flat out no way PIT would trade Brown to NE. So I agree with you there.

18 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Lots of draft picks, yes. (Plus their 2018 draft class all returning from IR.) Not so much on the cap space. They have $16 million available based on who they have signed without any tweaking. That ranks 23rd in the league. Average is $34 million. The Colts have $107 million in cap space.

I don't see them ponying up the money to pay OBJ and there is flat out no way PIT would trade Brown to NE. So I agree with you there.

They have to sign Trenton Brown (top priority), S Gostkowski, and maybe bring back J McCourty if they think JC Jackson
if they think he is no better then a #3 CB.  Then decide on how to restock the WR's- draft or FA's or re sign the three that could leave.

If they trade for a WR it will be another "guy" that they turn into a better then average player. 

EDIT to add- Trey Flowers is a FA

Edited by nightmare

1 minute ago, nightmare said:

They have to sign Trenton Brown (top priority), S Gostkowski, and maybe bring back J McCourty if they think JC Jackson
if they think he is no better then a #3 CB.  Then decide on how to restock the WR's- draft or FA's or re sign the three that could leave.

If they trade for a WR it will be another "guy" that they turn into a better then average player. 

I'm a maybe on Brown. He was good but not great. Ranked as the #37 OT by PFF this season. He was very valuable for what they paid him (peanuts). If he wants near the top of the market money, he won't be back. They have the kid they drafted from Georgia in the first round coming back (Isaiah Wynn).

I hope they try to keep Flowers, but given their track record I am not all that hopeful.

My fear is they bring in a crop of retreads, reclamation projects, and rookies at receiver and Brady goes on another round the world caravan and doesn't show up until training camp. Their offense could be a disaster to start the season. But things could also go the other way too. Gronk could stick around, Gordon could get reinstated, and one or two of the receivers could come back. 

2 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I'm a maybe on Brown. He was good but not great. Ranked as the #37 OT by PFF this season. He was very valuable for what they paid him (peanuts). If he wants near the top of the market money, he won't be back. They have the kid they drafted from Georgia in the first round coming back (Isaiah Wynn).

I hope they try to keep Flowers, but given their track record I am not all that hopeful.

My fear is they bring in a crop of retreads, reclamation projects, and rookies at receiver and Brady goes on another round the world caravan and doesn't show up until training camp. Their offense could be a disaster to start the season. But things could also go the other way too. Gronk could stick around, Gordon could get reinstated, and one or two of the receivers could come back. 

Great at pass blocking, not sure about the run part. I'll have to disagree with that ranking. He handled any pass rush from the left which allowed the right side
to chip or stunt. Agree about Flowers. BB might decide to plug n play another guy there.

I think they do SOMETHING to give Brady a good shot at another ring, WR wise. They need a 6'2" burner for the outside, even if Brady doesn't have 
chemistry with him. They just need the threat.    

Why Tim Dwight wasn;t used more in that....quick cut/slot man?  He was far faster than both Welker/Edelman.(Big10 100m champ)

Oh well.

Edelman has that stop and accellerate thing totally down, his accelleration out of a cut is amazing.  Nobody can hang with that as we are seeing. I do think he has better hands than Welker but wouldn't argue that.

Every team needs a guy like Julian Edelman

Going forward?? Not sure if this has been discussed but Edelman is signed through 2020 and he is going to be 33 in May. From a dynasty lens is he a hold/buy/sell?  Is he so much different based on his situation and style that he can play for a couple more seasons and give buyers reasonable wr2 numbers? Bill seems to be a year early than a year late on aging players not named Brady. How secure is Edelman? Does the Super Bowl change Bill moving on from him sooner than later?

39 minutes ago, osubuckeyeman said:

Going forward?? Not sure if this has been discussed but Edelman is signed through 2020 and he is going to be 33 in May. From a dynasty lens is he a hold/buy/sell?  Is he so much different based on his situation and style that he can play for a couple more seasons and give buyers reasonable wr2 numbers? Bill seems to be a year early than a year late on aging players not named Brady. How secure is Edelman? Does the Super Bowl change Bill moving on from him sooner than later?

I think he's good to 2020 but he takes a lot of hits. It won't be a gradual drop off. In dynasty PPR he is a hold.

Lots of undersized WR's available in the draft this year.

With Edeleman advancing in age, wonder if NE takes one to develop this year (with one of their 15 draft picks).

1 hour ago, Bossman said:

Lots of undersized WR's available in the draft this year.

With Edeleman advancing in age, wonder if NE takes one to develop this year (with one of their 15 draft picks).

They have Braxton Berrios coming off of IR. 5'9" 190#, was drafted in the 6th round.
It's just him and Edelman that are coming back. Every one else is a free agent. Slater is just a special teamer.

20 hours ago, [icon] said:

Loved Welker but IMO Edelman > Welker. 

Yeah I thought edelman was a poor man's Welker but he's moved way up.  

The other comp i think is interesting is hines ward.  Former quarterback, natural football player but not huge, became a tough slot guy whose postseason success will probably get him in the hof. It's not likely edelman will catch him on regular season numbers, and ward was a better blocker, but they both have that it factor where you never really saw them on the list of most talented receivers in the nfl but they were always good but could just take over a game when they were needed.  

10 hours ago, nightmare said:

They have Braxton Berrios coming off of IR. 5'9" 190#, was drafted in the 6th round.
It's just him and Edelman that are coming back. Every one else is a free agent. Slater is just a special teamer.

Pretty likely that amendola is available this off season if they want to go back to that well.  Would be awesome schtick if the players gave him a gift, wrapped in news clippings of the Miami miracle, and inside was an autographed framed photo from the superbowl.  

45 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Pretty likely that amendola is available this off season if they want to go back to that well.  Would be awesome schtick if the players gave him a gift, wrapped in news clippings of the Miami miracle, and inside was an autographed framed photo from the superbowl.  

Amendola was inconsistent and took a pay cut several times. To replace Edelmen you need that and to be as tough as nails.
I do not not know how tough Amendola is, but it's not Edelmen tough. 

14 minutes ago, nightmare said:

Amendola was inconsistent and took a pay cut several times. To replace Edelmen you need that and to be as tough as nails.
I do not not know how tough Amendola is, but it's not Edelmen tough. 

Ah, sorry. I didn't understand what you meant.  I think the pats bring amendola back but not to replace edelman. I also think they're hopeful gordon comes back. 

If i had to pick one receiver in this free agency class, though, it would be Jamison Crowder 

30 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Ah, sorry. I didn't understand what you meant.  I think the pats bring amendola back but not to replace edelman. I also think they're hopeful gordon comes back. 

If i had to pick one receiver in this free agency class, though, it would be Jamison Crowder 

I don't think they bring back Amendola unless it's for $1 mill a year. Agree with Crowder as Edelmen's (eventual) replacement.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:23 AM, nightmare said:

I think he's good to 2020 but he takes a lot of hits. It won't be a gradual drop off. In dynasty PPR he is a hold.

he go poof in 1-3 years.

Patriots signed Julian Edelman to a two-year extension through 2021.

The deal includes an $8 million signing bonus and $12 million guaranteed. Edelman was entering the final year of his deal, but this extension will keep him under contract through his age-35 season. Edelman showed no signs of slowing down last season, catching 74 passes for 850 yards and six touchdowns in just 12 games. With Rob Gronkowski gone, Edelman should be leaned on even more moving forward.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

May 21, 2019, 10:53 AM ET