What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman going forward (1 Viewer)

Julian Edelman corralled five balls for 53 yards on 10 targets while completing his lone passing attempt for a 15-yard touchdown Sunday in the Patriots’ Week 11 victory over the Eagles.

Edelman contributed his fewest receiving yards since Week 7 but made up for it by slinging his first career touchdown pass, connecting with Phillip Dorsett for a 15-yard score on a play reminiscent of the Eagles' iconic "Philly Special." He loses points for almost getting Dorsett decapitated (he left with a head injury), but it was still a fun bit of trickery drawn up by OC Josh McDaniels and perfectly executed by Edelman who, as many of you might remember, played quarterback for Kent State. Edelman has completed a perfect 4-of-4 passes for his career including 2-of-2 this season. The 33-year-old may have a second career as a QB someday, but for now, he's still pretty good at his day job, which is catching balls from living legend Tom Brady. New England's next test will come against the Cowboys in Week 12.

Nov 17, 2019, 8:11 PM ET

Julian Edelman (shoulder) is listed as questionable for Sunday's matchup against the Cowboys.

Edelman has been listed as questionable for most of the season and has continued to suit up come game time. He's the only consistent high-end fantasy option in New England at the moment. The Super Bowl MVP has been nothing short of spectacular all season, posting a season-long 68-716-4 line on 100 targets. Overall, Edelman is the PPR WR11.

SOURCE: Nora Princiotti on Twitter

Nov 22, 2019, 4:31 PM ET

Julian Edelman caught 8-of-12 targets for 93 yards in the Patriots' Week 12 win over the Cowboys.

Edelman didn’t appear to be operating at 100% after entering the contest as questionable due to a shoulder injury, as the Patriots had Rex Burkhead return punts in the second half. The injury didn’t stop Edelman from utilizing his pristine route-running ability to break free on more than a few occasions throughout the afternoon, but a combination of rain and at-times erratic passing from Tom Brady prevented the Super Bowl MVP from having an even bigger day. Continue to fire up Edelman as a weekly WR1 regardless of the matchup. Week 13’s spot against the Texans, who have struggled to find a capable slot CB all season, is particularly appetizing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Julian Edelman caught 6-of-12 targets for 106 yards and a touchdown in Week 13 against the Texans.

Edelman faced constant double teams and struggled to get on the same page with Tom Brady most of the game. He managed to salvage his night with some garbage-time catches, including a 20-yard touchdown with under a minute remaining. Edelman did almost all his damage against prevent coverages and was lucky to come away with such a big game. He’s now on pace for an 110/1,220/7 line going into the final quarter of the season.

Julian Edelman (questionable, shoulder) is expected to play Week 14 against the Chiefs.

Edelman has been a mainstay on the Patriots' injury report, rarely seeing full practice reps throughout the week. With that being said, the slot fixture has yet to miss a game in 2019 and was never in danger of sitting out Sunday's all-important showdown with AFC-West-leading Kansas City. On the precipice of his third career 1,000-yard receiving season, Edelman should strike gold in his matchup with Kendall Fuller, possessor of PFF's No. 60 coverage grade among cornerbacks. It should be noted Edelman went for a combined 11-150-1 receiving line on 17 targets in his two encounters with Kansas City last season.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 8, 2019, 8:20 AM ET

Julian Edelman tallied eight catches for 95 yards and a touchdown on 12 targets while adding another eight yards as a ball-carrier Sunday in New England’s Week 14 loss to the Chiefs.

The good news is that Edelman scored for the second straight week—his touchdown came on a 37-yard flea flicker from Tom Brady—while netting 95 yards, enough to push him over 1,000 yards for the season. The bad news is that he couldn't squeeze the potential game-tying touchdown, dashing New England's feint comeback hopes with 1:06 remaining in the fourth quarter. He and Brady's also got their wires crossed on a second-quarter interception. Edelman is one of the few Patriots producing anything on offense this year, though he's also left plenty of points on the table with his league-high 10 drops. Sunday's heartbreaker will surely leave a bad taste in Edelman's mouth, though the Pats should get back on track next week in Cincinnati. A volume hound if there ever was one, Edelman has established himself as an every-week WR1 in fantasy.

Dec 8, 2019, 8:08 PM ET

Julian Edelman (knee/shoulder) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

Edelman was reportedly held out of practice for "load management" purposes. He's fully expected to suit up on Sunday in a soft matchup from the slot against Darqueze Dennard and the rest of Cincinnati's corners room. New England's offense has obviously struggled this year but Edelman has still seen double-digit targets in eight straight contests. He's a no-brainer WR1 against the Bengals.

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 4:08 PM ET

Julian Edelman (knee, shoulder) returned to a limited practice Thursday.

Edelman is fully expected to suit up Sunday. Edelman has double-digit targets in eight consecutive games and has been the one consistently-elite fantasy option inside of this offense. The 2019 Super Bowl MVP has worked alongside the league's very best WRs this season in terms of production from start to finish. Each of Cooper Kupp (7-220-1), Dede Westbrook (6-103-0), Jarvis Landry (4-76-0) and Cole Beasley (8-48-0) proved the Bengals and be exploited from the slot. Continue to treat Edelman as the consistent WR1 he's been all season.

SOURCE: Mark Daniels on Twitter

Dec 12, 2019, 12:54 PM ET

Julian Edelman caught 2-of-5 targets for nine yards in the Patriots' Week 15 win over the Bengals.

It was a lost day for Edelman, whose most notable contribution was a false start penalty. Listed with knee and shoulder issues headed into the contest, Edelman was held below 10 targets for the first time since Week 5. He drew nine looks that day, two more than were sent his way in Week 4 in Buffalo. It's the Bills whom the Patriots will be hosting for Week 16. Despite today's dud and next week's tough matchup, Edelman needs to be fired up as a WR1. The Bills often surrender short underneath passes as a way of stamping out the deep. Of course, with the Pats having zero deep threat, next week could be different.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/12/16/details-julian-edelman-knee-injury-situation/

“He was in some serious difficulty all week long, in some pain, as he did some damage to the tendon in his left knee,” Giardi said. “He was getting treatment three times a day to try to be on the field, and he managed to get on the field. But he clearly wasn’t himself.”
One less day of practice this week for the team, with a Saturday game and all, so definitely an item to keep your eye on.

Julian Edelman (knee, shoulder) is questionable for Week 16 against the Bills.

Edelman's status isn't in doubt for Saturday's all-important game with the Bills, though he did not appear to be at full health in Week 15. He had his worst game since Week 4, when he was shut down by the ... Bills. The tough matchup and health issues downgrade Edelman from mid-range WR1 to low-end WR1. He is still more than capable of stacking up 10-12 targets for the fantasy finals.

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter

Dec 19, 2019, 4:07 PM ET

NFL Network's Michael Giardi reports Julian Edelman's injured shoulder is "worse than you could possibly imagine."

The Patriots slot receiver is also battling tendinitis in his left knee. Edelman went out for pre-game warmups about a half hour later than usual Sunday morning after receiving treatment for both injuries. Though not close to 100 percent, Edelman should be out in full force against the Dolphins in Week 17 as the 12-3 Patriots seek a first-round bye.

SOURCE: Michael Giardi on Twitter

Dec 29, 2019, 10:34 AM ET

Patriots WR Julian Edelman (shoulder, knee) said, "I feel better than I have in the last few weeks."

Edelman added, "I feel good enough to go out and compete at a high level." Edelman posted 2-9-0, 5-72-0 and 3-26-0 receiving lines to end the season while playing limited snaps. A lack of reps likely won't be an issue in this single-elimination format. The likes of N'Keal Harry, Mohamed Sanu and Phillip Dorsett could have to pick up the slack against a Titans Defense that was much better against the run (No. 10 in DVOA) than the pass (No. 21) during the regular season.

SOURCE: NESN.com

Jan 2, 2020, 8:59 AM ET

Anybody still think this guy isn't on roids?
Right...cuz when someone famous gets drunk and jumps on the hood of a Mercedes you immediately think steroids.

I can see the news clippings tomorrow...Edleman eats a bowl of cereal, is immediately accused of being on steroids.  

Edelman consumes oxygen, PED usage confirmed.

Tell me Julian, when did you stop beating your wife?

Updating an earlier report, Julian Edelman is scheduled to appear in court on April 13 following his Saturday arrest for vandalism in Beverly Hills.

It wasn't immediately clear if Edelman would faces charges for Saturday's incident, though his court date would suggest that's the case. Police allege Edelman, who was spotted hanging out with Paul Pierce and former Patriots teammate Danny Amendola earlier in the evening (Pierce posted a photo of the three on his Instagram account), hopped on top of a Mercedes, causing damage to the vehicle. Coming off a career-high in yards (1,117), the 33-year-old is reportedly slated for offseason knee surgery.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jan 12, 2020, 11:47 AM ET

Right...cuz when someone famous gets drunk and jumps on the hood of a Mercedes you immediately think steroids.

I can see the news clippings tomorrow...Edleman eats a bowl of cereal, is immediately accused of being on steroids.  

Edelman consumes oxygen, PED usage confirmed.

Tell me Julian, when did you stop beating your wife?
Lol

Are we pretending the ped suspension didn't happen now?

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Julian Edelman played most of 2019 with partially torn rib cartilage.

His injury occurred in the first half of New England's Week 3 victory over the Jets. Edelman was also plagued by left knee tendonosis and a separated AC joint in his left shoulder. The latter two injuries will both require offseason surgery. Nonetheless, Edelman appeared in all 16 regular-season games, pacing the Patriots with a career-high 1,117 yards in 2019. He did struggle with drops, however (10), trailing only Dallas' Michael Gallup (13) in that category.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jan 12, 2020, 2:55 PM ET

Julian Edelman (shoulder surgery) is expected to be ready for New England's offseason workouts.

The procedure reportedly involves "not a lengthy rehab," pinning him back onto the field for the team's offseason activities in April. This work was much overdue for Edelman after he noticeably struggled down the stretch, totaling just 13/137 receiving on 23 targets over New England's last four games (postseason included). Nonetheless, Edelman played through all 16 games in '19, finishing with a career-high 1,117 receiving yards. He'll be back on fantasy radars as a high-end WR2 for PPR leagues in 2020.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 21, 2020, 1:01 PM ET

Apparently Bill Simmons was on some radio show yesterday saying Edelman as about to get traded to Detroit. I don't know that Bill has ever broke an NFL news story so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

A shaky source but no, it was not an Aprils Fool's joke.
Honestly it would make sense for the Pats to move him to clear up cap space. I'm sure Edelman isn't happy that Brady is gone and if they were going with Stidham may as well let him grow with Harry,  Meyers and perhaps a rookie WR.

Honestly it would make sense for the Pats to move him to clear up cap space. I'm sure Edelman isn't happy that Brady is gone and if they were going with Stidham may as well let him grow with Harry,  Meyers and perhaps a rookie WR.
Seems like they need some veteran presence to help the kid out if they are really going with Stidham.

Apparently Bill Simmons was on some radio show yesterday saying Edelman as about to get traded to Detroit. I don't know that Bill has ever broke an NFL news story so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.
While it wouldn't shock me it would surprise me if the Lions traded for Edelman, I mean what role is he going to be, they already have Amendola in the slot.

Another one that, as currently constituted, would be nearly impossible if it was only Edelman involved. If NE traded him now, they would take on an $8.3 million dead cap hit. Depending upon what source is used, NE has either $2.1 million (Spotrac) or $900,000 (Over The Cap) in remaining cap space. They would have to eat that right away, which means they would have to free up that much in cap space first. If they waited until after June 1st, it would cost them less (but still $5.7 million). Long story short, getting rid of Edelman would get them $1.3 million in cap space . . . but it would earn them $8.3 million in cap money to do it (which as of now they cannot legally do).

IMO, they would have to include Thuney in order to pull this one off. If NE were to also include a pick or two, that MIGHT get them Detroit's #3 pick in the draft to take a QB(Tua?) . . . which would be the only way I see this potential trade having legs. And that would spell the end of the Stidham era before it even got started. That's the only thing that I could see in play here, and I am not sure either team would do it.

menobrown said:
A shaky source but no, it was not an Aprils Fool's joke.
Someone tweeted out something similar yesterday (not Bill Simmons, maybe someone who heard his podcast) and I immediately just assumed it was April Fool's.  Just seems unlikely but I guess anything's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread