Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Louisville Slugger

Julian Edelman going forward

PPR Gold. Non PPR Bronze or Silver.

:goodposting: I should have specified... He is CLUTCH in PPR right now, and he really is a fun player to watch! I just can't wait for a game where he gets a receiving td and a punt return td to go with all those PPR points!!!

I think this is probably why they didn't want to pay welker

don't get me wrong, I'm one of the millions who wishes they had signed welker, and I'm not comparing the 2 players, but edelman just caught 13 balls -- should they give him 8m?

don't get me wrong, I'm one of the millions who wishes they had signed welker, and I'm not comparing the 2 players, but edelman just caught 13 balls -- should they give him 8m?

Welker would've had a TD and more yards with those 13 catches. The should've paid him. No PPR in the NFL.

Welker would've had a TD and more yards with those 13 catches. The should've paid him. No PPR in the NFL.

The hell he would have. No more anyway than Edelman.

He's a little better possibly but your memory of him is with Gronk, Hernandez, and Vereen.

Minor...just...minor difference. Eeeeeeeetsy teeeeeensy.

The other rooks right now cause opposing D's to lick their chops.

Edited by StopTradingMeTebow

Edelman's 78 yards are the third-fewest in the NFL (since 1960) by a player with at least 13 receptions.

Tomlinson had 72 against the Cardinals in 2001, James Wilder just 71 for the Bucs against the Vikings in 1985.

This was only the 12th time since 1960 a player had at least 13 catches and failed to reach 100 yards. All of the others were running backs except Dez Bryant, who went 13-95 (with 2 TDs) last October against the Ravens.

He's a little better possibly but you're memory of him is with Gronk, Hernandez, and Vereen.

Edelman missed an easy TD b/c he misread his route. Welker would've had that TD and more. I picked up Edelman for $41/100 this week and happily started him tonight in a 0.5 ppr. Love the catches but he's no Wes Welker. Sorry.

He's a little better possibly but you're memory of him is with Gronk, Hernandez, and Vereen.

Edelman missed an easy TD b/c he misread his route. Welker would've had that TD and more. I picked up Edelman for $41/100 this week and happily started him tonight in a 0.5 ppr. Love the catches but he's no Wes Welker. Sorry.

If by misread you mean Brady completely over threw him, then yes. You could even see Brady hitting himself on the helmet for missing the throw.

If by misread you mean Brady completely over threw him, then yes. You could even see Brady hitting himself on the helmet for missing the throw.

Exaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactly.

I guess objectivity is rarer than a good T1 RB right now.

I grabbed him in every league I could and used my #1 in a few (rolling priority) - yeah I was concerned and I don't even have PPR. Got me only 8.5 points so I'm not ecstatic.

But I can say it wasn't for his lack of effort - or chemistry.

With Amendola out now for potentially weeks, well...I think he'll finish a fine WR2.

Edited by StopTradingMeTebow

I'd be worried about Edelman's health going forward. He's not a big guy and he was taking some big hits last game. Start him while you can, but its hard to see him lasting.

I think now wouldn't be a bad time to seel him high. After 2 big games, his value should be sky high. Once Amendola and Gronk are back, not sure how many targets he'll keep seeing a game.

I'd be worried about Edelman's health going forward. He's not a big guy and he was taking some big hits last game. Start him while you can, but its hard to see him lasting.

Yeah me too and they should find someone else playing special team.

I think now wouldn't be a bad time to seel him high. After 2 big games, his value should be sky high. Once Amendola and Gronk are back, not sure how many targets he'll keep seeing a game.

I agree with this. I think his value is at its peak right now. Coming off two 20+ point PPR games, this last one nationally televised to football starved fans....I don't see how it get much higher than that.

13 catches for only 78 yards is a terrible result for the Pats.

Shouldn't have skipped out on Welker's bill.

I don't think that's on Edelman. With the other WRs being rookies - and obviously raw ones at that - and no Gronkowski or Hernandez out there, the Jets defense was on Edelman right off the line of scrimmage. I don't think Welker could have done much more with that little space.

Julian Edelman is exactly what I expected him to be: A PPR stud until Danny Amendola gets back. I was very happy to plug him in over Antonio Brown this week as a WR2. It's almost criminal that I got 18 fantasy points out of him, but I don't make the scoring rules in my league, I just exploit them. :thumbup:

The Patriots love the short passing game with possession receivers that can make something happen and pick up yards after the catch. Gronk, Amendola, and Edelman all fill that role very well. I wouldn't be shocked if one or both of Gronk/Amendola is out or significantly limited for the entire season. Even if they are all healthy, I think the Patriots will keep all three heavily involved. They just won't need to spread the field with the unreliable rookies. Also, Brady looks to go to his trusted slot receivers often (Welker). After watching the games, it is obvious that he trusts Edelman. Right now, I have Edelman as a solid #1 WR in PPR leagues.

Unforuntately, I missed the game. I'm curious if anyone can shed some light on whether the Jets were doubling Edelman? Did he snag 13 in spite of doubles? With Gronk back soon how will this impact the coverage on edleman?

This board just cracks me up sometimes.

Yes, Edelman is a possession, short game receiver. That said, they did take a couple tries at him deep, and Brady completely overthrew him when he was WIDE open on one of them.

Second, anyone notice the weather in the second half? Yeah, it was pretty freakin' brutal. Anyone notice the other WRs on the team? Other than missing routes and dropping balls? The defense was keying on Edelman. If, for arguments sake, you had a WR that could pull some attention and Gronk down the middle, my guess is a few of those 5 yard receptions would have been 10-15 yarders.

Now, don't get me wrong - Edelman is not Welker, not really close. And he won't be getting 15 yards a reception. But he was their ONLY offense last night. 5 yards a pop... in pouring rain with a putrid offense around him. So let's not make this out to be worse than it is.

In a PPR you did really well, in a .5 PPR, it was a decent week... if it's not a PPR, the day was very much subpar. But I can't put it all on Edelman. He is what he is, but last night were extenuatingly difficult circumstances as well.

Before the year, With Danny A and even Gronk, it looked like based last year Vereen and Edelman would be getting the excess from the departed Lloyd, Woodhead and Hernandez.

Now, with Danny A, Vereen and Gronk out the whole offense slowed up. Other things going on, but the pie is not as big.

And now when Danny A and Gronk come back it may grow some more but Edelman will recede somewhat. Later in the year when Vereen comes back it will recede a little more. At 6 yards a pop and all that I don't think Edelman was a good WW addition for what he was going for. He made sense as a draft pick for anyone looking to handcuff Amendola.

Welker is better, Edelman is not Welker or even Danny A - Edelman is somewhat Woodhead (catches, ypc), somewhat Hernandez (catches & possible TD's) in terms of role.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Unforuntately, I missed the game. I'm curious if anyone can shed some light on whether the Jets were doubling Edelman? Did he snag 13 in spite of doubles? With Gronk back soon how will this impact the coverage on edleman?

It should soften up for him. He was triple teamed in the end zone. That should tell you how much they respected the other WRs.

Am I the only Edelman owner that would prefer he isn't out there taking Punts and getting drilled another 8 times a game? You'd think with their current WR situation, they could toss Leon Washington back there or something.

Am I the only Edelman owner that would prefer he isn't out there taking Punts and getting drilled another 8 times a game? You'd think with their current WR situation, they could toss Leon Washington back there or something.

Im sure a lot of us are in the same boat as you - and to be honest, as much as they trust him back there, it seems crazy to expose their last gasp of a professional WR returning punts. Brady had nothing other than Edelman, and without that option, my goodness, where would that offense be? When Gronk's back, you need them both so ONE of them has a chance to pull coverage from the other.

I know midseason trades just don't happen in the NFL, but if ever there were a time, this would seem to be it. One WR could change that entire dynamic - and honestly, I don't think even a healthy Amendola is the answer. He's just a better, quicker, more downfield Edelman.

So being the top receiver by default, is Edelman stuck on Revis island this week?

With the trouble they're having scoring points I'd let them dink and dunk to Edelman all day.

So being the top receiver by default, is Edelman stuck on Revis island this week?

I think he might see some doubles but they will be missmatches more than likely.

They can't afford to throw Revis on him, as often as Brady has shown that hes comfortable chucking it up to Dobson and Thompkins - they would literally just be giving points away.

I think he might see some doubles but they will be missmatches more than likely.

They can't afford to throw Revis on him, as often as Brady has shown that hes comfortable chucking it up to Dobson and Thompkins - they would literally just be giving points away.

Wouldnt it make more sense to put Revis on NE's most capable and targetted receiver, Edelman, and make the rest beat you?

The Bucs defense is good, it's not just a question of Revis.

The Bucs are also in desperation mode, they are staring at 0-3; expect a wild, tough, battle.

However Winslow (!) went 7/79/1 on them and you all saw what Jimmy did. NE is basically going without a TE in the pass game right now, and Edelman can fill that nitch. Somehow that coverage is being left wide open.

Wouldnt it make more sense to put Revis on NE's most capable and targetted receiver, Edelman, and make the rest beat you?

No, the opposite of that would make sense. You let them dink and dunk for <10 yd receptions as opposed to letting through a 40+ yd reception every drive. I hope Revis is all over Edelman, I need Thompkins to take some steps forward.

Edited by Run It Up

Gotta think they try to take away Edelman. I bench him this week. The Bucs actually have one of the best secondaries in the league.

And a struggling offense against one of the best defenses in the league, especially against struggling offenses. The Pats O is gonna have a ton of opportunities this week.

No, the opposite of that would make sense. You let them dink and dunk for <10 yd receptions as opposed to letting through a 40+ yd reception every drive. I hope Revis is all over Edelman, I need Thompkins to take some steps forward.

Is this impairing your judgment by chance? That, and you've been totally ####ting on Edelman in here. Putting Revis on Edelman means theyre giving up a 40+ reception every drive?! Excluding Dobson's that was a total blown defense and 5 yd catch, how many of those does NE have so far? 1?

Is this impairing your judgment by chance? That, and you've been totally ####ting on Edelman in here. Putting Revis on Edelman means theyre giving up a 40+ reception every drive?! Excluding Dobson's that was a total blown defense and 5 yd catch, how many of those does NE have so far? 1?

I was talking about it as a Patriots fan, Edelman will never be a WR2 (or WR3), the Patriots DESPERATELY need a reliable WR2, its my opinion that Thompkins will be that guy, but I'd be more than happy if Dobson or Boyce improved enough to fill that role.

I was giving my opinion as it pertains to this game specifically, I would love to see them put their best corner - an outside corner, on the 3rd string slot receiver. Brady will still get the ball to Edelman in the clutch 3rd downs, while crushing the Buccs for 30-40 yard plays to the rookies (provided they catch the ball when wide open... Dobson)

Full disclosure, I own Thompkins in the same amount of leagues as I own Edelman, one - both on the same team, I'm starting Edelman right now, but I refuse to drop Thompkins because I think if he can get over the pressure thats on him right now he will be a top 20 WR by years end; and as the true talent slowly returns from injury Edelman will again fade into obscurity.

Edited by Run It Up

So, what do yo think of Edelman's value going forward? Keep on the bench till Amendola gets injured I assume. Anyone going to start him? Anyone dropping him?

I'm starting Amendola, Edelman and Thompkins (Edelman and KT on the same team).

I don't think it will take long for Edelman to lose his value but until then I'm starting all of them.

Bump. Amendola is back, but not Gronk yet. Continue to hold on the bench, or cut for the next flavor-of-the-week?

I've already cut him for Keenan Allen (1 point PPR). I'm off the Edelman train for now, lol.

You cut for a one week wonder SD receiver? Ouch. Edelman had one down week.

I'm not saying it was a good decision. At the time I thought Gronk was coming back, now I can't scoop him back up as someone else snagged up.

You cut for a one week wonder SD receiver? Ouch. Edelman had one down week.

I'm not saying it was a good decision. At the time I thought Gronk was coming back, now I can't scoop him back up as someone else snagged up.

No. It was a GREAT decision.

So Amendola back to the med room and Gronk remains cautious about getting getting back in there. Add Dobsons ineffectiveness and Julian is the play this week right?