What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman going forward (5 Viewers)

So Amendola back to the med room and Gronk remains cautious about getting getting back in there. Add Dobsons ineffectiveness and Julian is the play this week right?
I think hes a fine play, top15-ish wr in ppr right now.

With amendola consussed for sure and Gronk being iffy he will be the move the chains guy.

I still have some hope for Dobson. They seem to be letting him work the kinks out on the field. I think he poses the best upside, and it will allow them to see if his concentration and comfort level can be overcome. Because of the upside, I think he's worth hanging onto or buying low.

Thoughts on Edelman this week against the Dolphins? FBG's don't have him high but it looks like a good matchup.

Thoughts on Edelman this week against the Dolphins? FBG's don't have him high but it looks like a good matchup.
Was at the Pats/Jets game last week, and I think the ship has sailed on Edelman after the first few weeks - even if Amendola stays out.

Brady was looking for Gronk constantly, and secondarily to Tompkins and Dobson - he seems to have developed more trust in the rookies. Even Collie was getting some looks.

Edelman may be in line for 5-7 targets, but he's no longer the target hog he was early in the season when the Gronk was out and the rookies were finding their way.

Wasted 20% of my FA $ (real money at that) on Edelman and he's being dropped for almost anybody. He's pretty much worthless. Only 7 targets vs. NYJ (worst in the NFL against the left slot WR), with no Amendola and Gronk drawing coverage in the middle of the field. Brady and Edelman have zero chemistry beyond 10 yards, as Brady has constantly overthrown/underthrown an open Edelman. He's worthless with Gronk playing and less than worthless with Amendola playing (it was Amendola, Thompkins and Dobson playing 2 weeks ago with Edelman on the bench).

Glad I moved him a few weeks ago for Woodhead in my re-draft league. Still own him in a dynasty league and have to start him this week with bye week issues. Hoping maybe he has a decent game. Now that Gronk is back, I don't really trust anyone in the NE passing attack besdies Gronk.

:oldunsure:

Edelman 9-110-2

Amendola 3-17-0

What do we make of this? Anyone firing up the bandwagon again or was this completely a product of being down so big?

Getting to crunch time now. Not many of us can risk a 3-22-0 stat line.

I'd be interested in snap count data from this week - this is reminiscent of week 1, when Amendola was out for a bit before coming back in.

I picked him up. He could potentially win you your championship if he continues, but who knows?

Who all picked him up?

This game was encouraging, but you can't be gambling with your lineups this time of year. It would surprise nobody if he went right back to getting 3 targets this Sunday. I'll need to see him heavily involved two weeks in a row to even think about starting him.

He beasted again last week. No TDs, but another 9 catches for 100+ yards. As stated above, the Pats game plan differently every week. However, if Dobson remains out, can Edelman be trusted in the FF playoffs? He does seem clearly ahead of Amendola. Of course Gronk and Vereen are top dogs but there should be plenty to go around if Edelman is the clear #3 option.

He beasted again last week. No TDs, but another 9 catches for 100+ yards. As stated above, the Pats game plan differently every week. However, if Dobson remains out, can Edelman be trusted in the FF playoffs? He does seem clearly ahead of Amendola. Of course Gronk and Vereen are top dogs but there should be plenty to go around if Edelman is the clear #3 option.
Flip flopping between him and Jordy Nelson (as long as Rodgers is definitely out).

Yeah, we certainly got the back-to-back great performances I needed to see. I think he can be trusted in playoff lineups. This could be incorrect, but I don't think Dobson has any impact on Edelman. JE is mostly a slot guy from what I can see. Even when Amendola is on the field with him, it looks like they line up as dual-slots. Thompkins replaces what Dobson gave them.

So now you're going to ask, "then why has Edelman blown up the past two weeks while Dobson was out of the lineup." I don't have a good answer for that, other than Brady needing to find another option. But I think Edelman has earned Brady's trust, even if/when Dobson gets healthy.

At the very least, Edelman is now what Amendola was supposed to be.

Offensive snaps in week 13:

Edelman 62

Amendola 48

Offensive snaps in week 12:

Edelman 74

Amendola 56

Dobson 36

So now you're going to ask, "then why has Edelman blown up the past two weeks while Dobson was out of the lineup." I don't have a good answer for that, other than Brady needing to find another option. But I think Edelman has earned Brady's trust, even if/when Dobson gets healthy.
You provided a very good answer.

Flip flopping between him and Jordy Nelson (as long as Rodgers is definitely out).
Same dilemma. Ugh.

sandlotshrink said:
Anyone know who Hayden will be covering this weekend between Amendola and Edelman?
I could be 100% wrong on this, and if so, maybe a Browns fan can correct me, but I don't recall seeing Haden covering slot guys. Every time I watch a Cleveland game, it seems as though he's covering WRs outside the numbers. That may well change this week, though, as Edelman is pretty much their most effective WR at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
sandlotshrink said:
Anyone know who Hayden will be covering this weekend between Amendola and Edelman?
I could be 100% wrong on this, and if so, maybe a Browns fan can correct me, but I don't recall seeing Haden covering slot guys. Every time I watch a Cleveland game, it seems as though he's covering WRs outside the numbers. That may well change this week, though, as Edelman is pretty much their most effective WR at the moment.
yeah, but what about when everybody's a slot guy?

sandlotshrink said:
yeah, but what about when everybody's a slot guy?
No kidding.

I guess he takes whichever one lines up the widest. :shrug:

Same dilemma. Ugh.
Me three. Rolling with Edelman. Can't trust Flynn. Edelman has been hot, Brady is hot, Dobson is out, Amendola has been invisible, and Thompkins is gimpy.

Rotoworld:

Coach Bill Belichick heaped praise on Julian Edelman Monday.
Edelman has quietly turned into Tom Brady's favorite receiver and a PPR monster, piling up 96 catches for 991 yards with six touchdowns through 15 games. He's been playing just about every snap and lining up all over the field. "There are a lot of things to like about Julian: his toughness, his speed, his quickness, his ability to run with the ball after he catches it, and break tackles, and be elusive and have good run skills in the secondary," Belichick said. "He's a tough kid who can come in and block. He's smart. He's got versatility." Expect the Patriots to make an effort to re-sign Edelman in free agency this offseason.

Source: Boston Herald

Rotoworld:

Edelman has quietly turned into Tom Brady's favorite receiver and a PPR monster, piling up 96 catches for 991 yards with six touchdowns through 15 games. He's been playing just about every snap and lining up all over the field. "There are a lot of things to like about Julian: his toughness, his speed, his quickness, his ability to run with the ball after he catches it, and break tackles, and be elusive and have good run skills in the secondary," Belichick said. "He's a tough kid who can come in and block. He's smart. He's got versatility." Expect the Patriots to make an effort to re-sign Edelman in free agency this offseason.

He will be the quietest to ever get 100 receptions.

Seriously would prefer the Pats trade Amendola and keep/sign Edelman. They have played well together, but I still feel like they are too similar and it should be one or the other. Amendola just seems such a waste of money now. In an odd way, he is going to be close to last year's stats despite the injuries, new offense, replacing Welker, better QB blah blah blah...same stats.

I'm thinking if Bill O'Brien ends up in Houston and/or Josh Mcdaniels ends up in Cleveland no player is going to benefit more financially than Edelman. Even if NE wants to keep him I would fully expect both of these coaches to show interest and drive up his price.

Amendola is signed next year for $3 million, of which $2 million is guaranteed. For next seasons cap purposes it would actually be less of a cap hit to keep Amendola than to cut him so don't see that happening. But if they really prefer to keep Edelman I'd not rule out a trade, especially if Mcdaniels ends up as a HC. They would still have a cap hit if they traded him but they would at least get out of the $2million guarantee.

I foresee Edelman leaving NE for bigger bucks this offseason. Amendola's already signed for the next few years. He can easily replicate Edelman's stats albeit with a much more worrisome injury history.

I foresee Edelman leaving NE for bigger bucks this offseason. Amendola's already signed for the next few years. He can easily replicate Edelman's stats albeit with a much more worrisome injury history.
Edelman is not exactly the pillar of good health either. He missed 16 games over 3 seasons prior to this year. He was a free agent last year and only the Giants expressed even lukewarm interest.

I'm thinking if Bill O'Brien ends up in Houston and/or Josh Mcdaniels ends up in Cleveland no player is going to benefit more financially than Edelman. Even if NE wants to keep him I would fully expect both of these coaches to show interest and drive up his price.

Amendola is signed next year for $3 million, of which $2 million is guaranteed. For next seasons cap purposes it would actually be less of a cap hit to keep Amendola than to cut him so don't see that happening. But if they really prefer to keep Edelman I'd not rule out a trade, especially if Mcdaniels ends up as a HC. They would still have a cap hit if they traded him but they would at least get out of the $2million guarantee.
I agree that Edelman is going to have a market this year. He stayed healthy and had a great season. Last year, IIRC, he was making free agency visits in a boot. He should be able to cash in this year, relatively speaking.

Not sure why you're takling about cutting/trading Amendola though.

Edelman is not exactly the pillar of good health either. He missed 16 games over 3 seasons prior to this year. He was a free agent last year and only the Giants expressed even lukewarm interest.
True, but he pulled off the ideal contract year - stayed healthy and put up big numbers. I'll be glad for him when he gets paid.

I agree that Edelman is going to have a market this year. He stayed healthy and had a great season. Last year, IIRC, he was making free agency visits in a boot. He should be able to cash in this year, relatively speaking.

Not sure why you're takling about cutting/trading Amendola though.

Because some people think NE should cut Amendola and sign Edelman. Pointing out that financially it does not make sense to cut Amendola. Trading him however is more financially viable if NE really wanted to go that route. Personally don't see either happening, instead the Pats will just lose Edelman to FA.

Rotoworld:

Seriously would prefer the Pats trade Amendola and keep/sign Edelman. They have played well together, but I still feel like they are too similar and it should be one or the other. Amendola just seems such a waste of money now. In an odd way, he is going to be close to last year's stats despite the injuries, new offense, replacing Welker, better QB blah blah blah...same stats.
With Gronk's injury couldn't the Patriots have them both with Edelman in the slot and hopefully get a true outside receiver or hope that Dobson or Thompkins becomes that guy. Dobson, Thompkins, Decker or Nicks on one side with Amendola on the other and Edelman in the slot would be a nice set of receivers assuming Dobson or Thompkins can become that guy.

Rotoworld:

With Gronk's injury couldn't the Patriots have them both with Edelman in the slot and hopefully get a true outside receiver or hope that Dobson or Thompkins becomes that guy. Dobson, Thompkins, Decker or Nicks on one side with Amendola on the other and Edelman in the slot would be a nice set of receivers assuming Dobson or Thompkins can become that guy.
It's just too much $

I figure Edelman is gone, despite my hopes, and they're just going to say "we drafted three WRs for a reason" and maybe Collie is around as a just in case.

How does Hernandez work against their cap?

I just think chances are they are going to spend $ elsewhere as their offensive skill position players are good and they have a ton of depth.

I'm shocked at how well and how hard Edelman has played this year after playing incredibly mediocre every opportunity prior to this season.

He really played Welkers role to a tee, he wasn't as reliable as Welker and it didn't look as good but he didn't stray from the hits and played hard, something that Amendola has struggled with all season when 'healthy'.

Hopefully next year both will be 100%

Rotoworld:

It's just too much $

I figure Edelman is gone, despite my hopes, and they're just going to say "we drafted three WRs for a reason" and maybe Collie is around as a just in case.

How does Hernandez work against their cap?

I just think chances are they are going to spend $ elsewhere as their offensive skill position players are good and they have a ton of depth.
I honestly don't know what the Patriots cap looks like next year. I just assumed they would be in good shape or find a way. They always seem to have their ducks in a row.

Edit: It wouldn't surprise me if Brady took another hit to keep him around.

Bottom line is that both Edelman and Amendola serve the same purpose in the offense. But one is signed for the next few years and the other is a FA. Whoever the Patriots keep will flourish next year so long as he and Brady are healthy, however it makes no sense to keep both considering they have the same skillset. I doubt the Patriots resign Edelman this offseason. He's going to get paid by another team.

Bottom line is that both Edelman and Amendola serve the same purpose in the offense. But one is signed for the next few years and the other is a FA. Whoever the Patriots keep will flourish next year so long as he and Brady are healthy, however it makes no sense to keep both considering they have the same skillset. I doubt the Patriots resign Edelman this offseason. He's going to get paid by another team.
As currently constructed the other three WRs the Pats have (Thompkins, Dobson and Boyce) all have different skillsets than Edelman and Amendola so the fact that those two play a somewhat similar game is not an issue...if anything it's probably a good thing as what they do is very important to how the Pats run their offense and since both of them are injury-risks they probably need both of them...also, Edelman's punt returning skills give him a big bump in value as well...as is usually the case the Pats probably have a number in-mind and if they can get Edelman at that price he will stay but if another team wows him he will probably walk...I am a huge Edelman fan and really hope he stays but he also not the type of player you break the bank for...

Users who are viewing this thread