What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tavon Austin (1 Viewer)

The Wonderlic has little or no correlation to a player's ability to produce on the football field.

The Wonderlic has little or no correlation to a player's ability to produce on the football field.
exactly, but picking up a playbook, reading a defense, and learning routes has a lot to do with intelligence.
I agree with this, but don't think that the wonderlic is all that significant in determining if a player will quickly acclimate to playing in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
exactly, but picking up a playbook, reading a defense, and learning routes has a lot to do with intelligence.
I agree with this, but don't think that the wonderlic is all that significant in determining if a player will quickly acclimate to playing in the NFL.
I agree with this too. The Wonderlic isn't irrelevant or they wouldn't have it as part of the draft process. Obviously certain people aren't book smart yet are very intelligent on the field - take AJ Green for example. I think for a top prospect like Austin it's a little less worrisome as he did everything at WVU and, as I said before, teams don't seem to be concerned with his ability to pick up a playbook.

For a guy like Patterson though, where teams were already questioning his intelligence on the field, to add a low Wonderlic score could be a bit more of a concern.

Jesus. Climbing into the top-ten now...a week ago I would have thought his ceiling was 16 to the Rams.
He has been ticketed to Jets last week. The top 10 talk is more recent.
I heard all the Jets talk and still figured his ceiling was 16 if the Rams loved him. But I'm really starting to believe we might see his name called in the top 7 or 8.
5'8" WR don't go in the top 10.... or at least they shouldn't. But at this point where there is smoke there is fire and I wouldn't be surprised.

Jesus. Climbing into the top-ten now...a week ago I would have thought his ceiling was 16 to the Rams.
I heard all the Jets talk and still figured his ceiling was 16 if the Rams loved him. But I'm really starting to believe we might see his name called in the top 7 or 8.
This is getting a little ridiculous. I know people want to go for the productive non-standard-size playmakers after Wilson exploded last year but the guy is only 170 lbs.

I'm 170 lbs and would be in a hospital if Clay Matthews farted on me, let alone tackled me.

This is getting a little ridiculous. I know people want to go for the productive non-standard-size playmakers after Wilson exploded last year but the guy is only 170 lbs.

I'm 170 lbs and would be in a hospital if Clay Matthews farted on me, let alone tackled me.
Definitely a reach unless he proves to be able to withstand 80 catches worth of punishment over a career. Which is no guarantee for anybody, never mind someone Tavon's size. I don't care how well put together he is for that size, its a huge risk.

This is getting a little ridiculous. I know people want to go for the productive non-standard-size playmakers after Wilson exploded last year but the guy is only 170 lbs. I'm 170 lbs and would be in a hospital if Clay Matthews farted on me, let alone tackled me.
I know its only college but I don't believe he's ever missed a game due to injury. There's a reason he's the top ranked WR this year, granted in a weaker class than some of the previous.

This is getting a little ridiculous. I know people want to go for the productive non-standard-size playmakers after Wilson exploded last year but the guy is only 170 lbs. I'm 170 lbs and would be in a hospital if Clay Matthews farted on me, let alone tackled me.
I know its only college but I don't believe he's ever missed a game due to injury. There's a reason he's the top ranked WR this year, granted in a weaker class than some of the previous.
Read from numerous sources that he's never even missed a practice.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Thursday evening that West Virginia WR Tavon Austin is a lock to be drafted in the top-ten picks.

meyerj31 said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
The Ref said:
ConnSKINS26 said:

Clay Matthews won't ever get a clean tackle on this kid. Nor will 99% of the guys in the NFL. That's part of the reason he's never missed a practice or a game. He doesn't get hit very often and even if he does, it will rarely ever be a clean, square hit.

meyerj31 said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
The Ref said:
ConnSKINS26 said:

Clay Matthews won't ever get a clean tackle on this kid. Nor will 99% of the guys in the NFL. That's part of the reason he's never missed a practice or a game. He doesn't get hit very often and even if he does, it will rarely ever be a clean, square hit.
Austin, on that turf and taking Amendola's targets. Yikes!!!

[ETA: Talking PPR for those still in the dark ages]

CFN has an interesting take on him:

7. Tavon Austin, West Virginia 5-8, 174
4.34. His 40 time wasn’t the fastest at the NFL Scouting Combine, but he was moving in a hurry. A darting speedster, he’s great with the ball in his hands in a variety of ways, used as a running back as well as a receiver and using his burst of speed to make things happen whenever he got his chances. Uncoverable as a slot receiver, he’ll be devastating when he gets the ball on the move with the ability to break down and blow past a defender. He’ll never block anyone and he’s going to get crushed when he goes across the middle, but he’s a true difference maker who’ll keep defensive coordinators up at night.
CFN Projection: First round
7. Tavon Austin, West Virginia 5-9, 175 Proj. 2
Positives: Fast, fast, fast, fast, FAST. Great with the ball in his hands in a variety of ways and is always able to come up with a big burst of speed whenever he gets the chance. … A great runner in an open field with the potential to become a special slot receiver. He’s going to be uncoverable at times. … Always producing. He doesn’t need a lot of room to make one cut and fly.

Negatives: Size is going to be a problem. He was able to get by in college, but he won’t be able to take a licking at the next level going across the middle. … He’ll be used as a kick and punt returner, but his future will be as a receiver. He needs to work on becoming a full-time wideout, and while he could be a difference maker, it’ll be as a fun toy to play with. … He’ll be limited in what he can do for a passing game. He’s strictly an inside target.

Really, What’s He Going To Do In The NFL? He’ll be a flash of lightning who’ll take over a game or two on his own. However, he’s not going to be a superstar receiver who’ll make ten grabs a game.
Tough player to gauge. Special speed and open field YAC skills. Midget frame.

meyerj31 said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
The Ref said:
ConnSKINS26 said:

Austin, on that turf and taking Amendola's targets. Yikes!!!

[ETA: Talking PPR for those still in the dark ages]
:goodposting:

desean jackson is a smurf who has enjoyed some success (he cost less, being 2nd rounder)... maybe that is a physical comp...

austin listed at 5'8" 180 (maybe actually 175 lbs.?), jackson 5'10" and a listed 175 lbs. (i think that was coming out of college, might be more now?)...

As small as he is, with his speed and agility I think he can succeed in the NFL.

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB today:

Factoid of the Week That May Interest Only Me

Speaking of skedaddling:

Tavon Austin.

I enlisted SI college football guru Andy Staples to help me with the math on something that amazes me about the smurfy Austin, the first pick of the St. Louis Rams and the only offensive skill player to be picked in the top 15 of the 2013 draft. Austin told me he missed one practice in his four years at West Virginia. Doing the math with Staples, if you figure Austin went through three sets of spring practices (15 per year, 45 total), four preseasons (25 per year, 100 total), four bowl games (15 per year, 60 total) and about 50 regular-season practices per year (100 total), that adds up to 405 practices.

Austin practiced 404 out of 405 West Virginia practices, then, and played in 52 of 52 WVU games.

That's 456 of 457 football events for which the kid showed up. The only one he didn't: a Sunday practice in 2011 ... when he was being operated on for a broken pinky suffered the previous day. He was back for the practice after that one.

More bonus facts about Austin: In his first 48 college games, he rushed the ball only 51 times, mostly on end-arounds and options. In his 49th game, against Oklahoma, he rushed 21 times for 344 yards. Imagine having a game with runs of 74, 56, 54 and 47 yards ... in one half (the second).

The Big 12 record for all-purpose yards in a game prior to that game was 375. Against Oklahoma, Austin had 572.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000168995/article/tavon-austin-everybodys-expecting-money-from-me

Tavon Austin: Everybody's expecting money from me

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Tavon Austin has encountered a few new things since being drafted No. 8 overall by the St. Louis Rams. He's playing in an offense that actually huddles. The terminology is different.

Oh, and Austin's family is expanding rapidly.

"I've got a lot of cousins now," Austin told the Rams' team site when asked about adjustments to the NFL. "The whole (city of) Baltimore is my cousin now. We're going to just try to keep focused and let my mother and all of them handle it."

This is a challenge that many top rookies face, yet we rarely hear much about it. Folks are starting to come out of the woodwork looking for help from Austin.

Austin added, "Everybody expects a lot of things from you as far as money. Everybody wants to be around you. My phone doesn't stop ringing now. It feels like they're counting my bank account now. So that's probably the hardest thing for me right now, just people."

Adjusting to your new football reality is tough, but football is what Austin does best in life. It can be a lot trickier for young men to adjust to the new attention and unfair demands of those around you.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Tavon Austin dazzles in St. Louis Rams practice
By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

St. Louis Rams punter Johnny Hekker now knows how the Oklahoma Sooners feel.

Lightning-quick first-round pick Tavon Austin ran up against Hekker -- one of the most athletic punters in the NFL -- as the last line of defense in a return drill in Tuesday's practice. The series of events that ensued thereafter left teammates in stitches, as relayed by ESPN.com's Mike Sando.

Austin began a series of moves that left Hekker stone-footed near the sideline as the rookie raced past. Realizing he would soon be roasted by teammates, Hekker dropped to the ground and faked a hamstring injury in an attempt to gain sympathy in light of the obvious mismatch.

You can imagine what happened next. The entire team had fun at Hekker's expense, likely privately relieved they weren't the victim of Austin's joystick routine.

"Come on, that is hilarious," cornerback Cortland Finnegan said of the incident. "(Austin) is the real deal, man."

It's not the last time the Rams will bear witness to Austin embarrassing a would-be tackler. The 2013 No. 8 overall pick is the heavy favorite to lead all rookies in highlight-reel plays this season.

UPDATE: Hekker confirmed the account of the dazzling play, via Twitter.

@JHekker

For those of you that heard @Tayaustin01 juked me bad today...it's true. Had to hit the dirt and fake a cramp to save face #LightningQuick

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

I'm just not buying into the whole "injury prone cause he's tiny" thing that everyone keeps bringing up. If you watch his college tapes the kid really just doesn't take hits. Think... Victor Cruzish, he knows when to take a dive and has AMAZING senses of his surroundings. I don't remember which highlight reel I was watching where he makes this little move that jukes a guy who is behind him with nobody in front of him to even make note of like he could just sense the guy coming up on him. It's this ability that makes him the most valuable in my opinion. He's not like the other shifty receivers that people keep comparing him to: Harvin, Amendola, Welker. They all take monster hits on a fairly consistent basis.

Of all the people in this NFL draft he's the guy I've been trading up in my dynasty leagues to snag. He's like a hybrid of Chris Johnson and Percy Harvin and he's going to be a freak.

Khy said:
I'm just not buying into the whole "injury prone cause he's tiny" thing that everyone keeps bringing up. If you watch his college tapes the kid really just doesn't take hits. Think... Victor Cruzish, he knows when to take a dive and has AMAZING senses of his surroundings. I don't remember which highlight reel I was watching where he makes this little move that jukes a guy who is behind him with nobody in front of him to even make note of like he could just sense the guy coming up on him. It's this ability that makes him the most valuable in my opinion. He's not like the other shifty receivers that people keep comparing him to: Harvin, Amendola, Welker. They all take monster hits on a fairly consistent basis.

Of all the people in this NFL draft he's the guy I've been trading up in my dynasty leagues to snag. He's like a hybrid of Chris Johnson and Percy Harvin and he's going to be a freak.
I always caution myself to laud rookies too much unless its an obvious guy that I have watched a lot like Calvin when he came out and Randy Moss and Peterson. I think in the last 15 years or so, those three were the only guys I ever looked at and said absolutely can't miss. A couple others close, but no slam dunks.

With all that being said, and tempering my expectations a bit, I agree with your take on not buying the idea that he will get hurt, etc. Like you say, he just has this "knack" for missing the smashing hits. It reminds me of Barry Sanders in the sense that he just always seemed to have such excellent awareness of his surroundings that you just never saw him get lit up.

Khy said:

I always caution myself to laud rookies too much unless its an obvious guy that I have watched a lot like Calvin when he came out and Randy Moss and Peterson. I think in the last 15 years or so, those three were the only guys I ever looked at and said absolutely can't miss. A couple others close, but no slam dunks.

With all that being said, and tempering my expectations a bit, I agree with your take on not buying the idea that he will get hurt, etc. Like you say, he just has this "knack" for missing the smashing hits. It reminds me of Barry Sanders in the sense that he just always seemed to have such excellent awareness of his surroundings that you just never saw him get lit up.
He had the knack for eluding the big hits in college, and I do think that he will make an impact in the NFL, but the defensive players in the NFL that he will be facing will be bigger, faster, and harder hitting than most of the players that he had to go up against in college.

I could see Austin being the first impactful fantasy player to be given permanent dual eligibility as a rb/wr. That would be a huge asset in my opinion. In my rookie rankings, he's the entire first tier.

Khy said:

He had the knack for eluding the big hits in college, and I do think that he will make an impact in the NFL, but the defensive players in the NFL that he will be facing will be bigger, faster, and harder hitting than most of the players that he had to go up against in college.
The speed at which the NFL moves doesn't take away from this ability he seems to have of just amazing awareness of his surroundings. Like I said, it's very similar to Victor Cruz. I'm a Giants fan, watch every single game that Cruz has played in and honestly I can't remember a single meaningful hit the kid has taken. Besides the one LaRon Landry hit where Kyle Wilson went at his knees and Landry hit him in the head. Which iirc I think Landry was fined for. Otherwise he always misses hits and knows when to get down. This is the same awareness that Austin has, he has the amazing ability and understanding of his own abilities to know when he's exhausted the most from every play and goes down/out of bounds before he gets obliterated by a defender. Watch any game tape of him and you'll see this every time the kid touches the ball.

I ask these questions..when or how many players his size IN THE HISTORY of the NFL has mad a significant impact over any length of time as a player or fantasy asset? Coupled with the fact he's playing with a QB no one has bought as a true difference making franchise QB, and many new young pieces with a spotty OC.

I'll pass. If I'm wrong so be it, but odds are not in his favor. Going way to high a price for me to buy

I'm only buying in return yardage leagues, and even then, at most WR30 prices. Skipping him in every other league unless he falls pretty deep.

I ask these questions..when or how many players his size IN THE HISTORY of the NFL has mad a significant impact over any length of time as a player or fantasy asset? Coupled with the fact he's playing with a QB no one has bought as a true difference making franchise QB, and many new young pieces with a spotty OC.

I'll pass. If I'm wrong so be it, but odds are not in his favor. Going way to high a price for me to buy
It took Steve Smith about 3 years.

People in re-drafts that are targeting him in the 2nd are just downright insane.

It took Steve Smith about 3 years.

People in re-drafts that are targeting him in the 2nd are just downright insane.
Smith outweighs him and did as a younger player by about 15 lbs of muscle and is listed 2 inches taller. Different type of player and Smith pound for pound is one of the best WR's ever produced. Not too many success stories for 5'7 WR's. Maybe TA will defy odds but not likely

Users who are viewing this thread