What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tavon Austin (1 Viewer)

I ask these questions..when or how many players his size IN THE HISTORY of the NFL has mad a significant impact over any length of time as a player or fantasy asset? Coupled with the fact he's playing with a QB no one has bought as a true difference making franchise QB, and many new young pieces with a spotty OC.

I'll pass. If I'm wrong so be it, but odds are not in his favor. Going way to high a price for me to buy
It took Steve Smith about 3 years.

People in re-drafts that are targeting him in the 2nd are just downright insane.
Not too many success stories for 5'7 WR's. Maybe TA will defy odds but not likely
What a horrible way of arguing, because I could easily say not many 5'7 WRs were drafted in the top 8. Maybe TA will fail but not likely.

:lol:

Horrible?

There is an infinitely stronger argument for 5'7 failures then success, especially @ 8 overall..I can't recall any but by all means he's all yours..you win the 'argument'. The fact that he was drafted so highly sets his bar for expectations higher then others but we see what we want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ask these questions..when or how many players his size IN THE HISTORY of the NFL has mad a significant impact over any length of time as a player or fantasy asset? Coupled with the fact he's playing with a QB no one has bought as a true difference making franchise QB, and many new young pieces with a spotty OC.

I'll pass. If I'm wrong so be it, but odds are not in his favor. Going way to high a price for me to buy

People in re-drafts that are targeting him in the 2nd are just downright insane.
Not too many success stories for 5'7 WR's. Maybe TA will defy odds but not likely
What a horrible way of arguing, because I could easily say not many 5'7 WRs were drafted in the top 8. Maybe TA will fail but not likely.

based on what?

ducktales said:
"At 5’8”, 174 pounds, Austin is an inch shorter and 11 pounds lighter than the gold standard at the position, Denver Broncos slot receiver Wes Welker. Despite tearing his ACL in January of 2010—and going undrafted in 2004—Welker has never played fewer than 14 games in any season of his NFL tenure."

by the way, how many college games did austin miss? hint the answer is 0

But you keep being lazy in your thinking "ALL SHORT PLAYERS ARE INJURY PRONE" :lmao:
When did I use either the terms 'ALL' or "INJURY PRONE"???

I said 'odds are against him'..nice spin though.

ducktales said:
"At 5’8”, 174 pounds, Austin is an inch shorter and 11 pounds lighter than the gold standard at the position, Denver Broncos slot receiver Wes Welker. Despite tearing his ACL in January of 2010—and going undrafted in 2004—Welker has never played fewer than 14 games in any season of his NFL tenure."

But you keep being lazy in your thinking "ALL SHORT PLAYERS ARE INJURY PRONE" :lmao:

it was implied

ducktales said:

it was implied
As I said..'see what you want' not what is the fact of what I wrote

based on what?
lol ? i was doing a parody of invictus, and wasnt being serious

Invictus~Bronte said:

based on what?
Oh I don't know..the fact that it's a very rare feat for players his size. But you're convinced he'll be fantastic so what else matters?..Not logic apparently.
your "logic" is "austin will fail because other players at his height have failed and everyone is the same" btw, he isn't 5 foot 7 why do you keep saying he is ? How is anyone suppose to take your opinion serious when you don't even know his height and its ironic you would get his height wrong since you clearly think height is the main indicator of success in the NFL.

Name: Tavon Austin

Height: 5’8″

Weight: 174 lbs

Position: Wide receiver, kick returner and occasional running back

Rivals.com position: “Athlete”

College: West Virginia

Awesome fellow Mountaineers: Steve Slaton, Don Knotts and Billy Mays

High school: Dunbar (Baltimore)

Awesome fellow Poets: Mugsy Bogues, Tupac Shakur and Prop Joe

Reported Wonderlic score*: Touchdown + point after

He's listed everywhere from 5'7 to 5'9..I guess arguments are more convincing when you completely lie about what I just wrote..

Look you win..What else you want to hear? He's all yours enjoy. I said whatever logic may or may not sink in.

Read more: http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2013/04/better-know-a-draft-pick-tavon-austin.html#ixzz2W3PzbCAa

Name: Tavon Austin

Height: 5’8″

Weight: 174 lbs

Position: Wide receiver, kick returner and occasional running back

Rivals.com position: “Athlete”

College: West Virginia

Awesome fellow Mountaineers: Steve Slaton, Don Knotts and Billy Mays

High school: Dunbar (Baltimore)

Awesome fellow Poets: Mugsy Bogues, Tupac Shakur and Prop Joe

Reported Wonderlic score*: Touchdown + point after

He's listed everywhere from 5'7 to 5'9..I guess arguments are more convincing when you completely lie about what I just wrote..

Look you win..What else you want to hear? He's all yours enjoy. I said whatever logic may or may not sink in.

Read more: http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2013/04/better-know-a-draft-pick-tavon-austin.html#ixzz2W3PzbCAa
"WRITTEN BY UNSILENT MAJORITY"

You realize unsilent majority is just some guy, right? I could write an article saying he is 6 foot 10, would you be dumb enough to believe it?

I can't get over how people are still arguing about his size being relevant because "It's the NFL people are bigger, stronger and faster". It still doesn't change the fact that the kid has NEVER been hurt. Ever. Someone in this thread posted that he missed 1 practice out of like 406 his entire time at WVU. That's pure insanity, usually people will at least miss a practice here or there for something... ANYTHING. Whether it be a cold, an injury or just something that came up. He's talented, dedicated, has a good head on his shoulders (i.e. not Pacman) and is about as uninjury prone as you could possibly find for someone coming out of college. Most of these players come out with some large injury or surgery they had in High School/College. Not Tavon Austin, he broke his index finger after a game once. That's it... something that he had patched up and played with without any complications. So please... the guys in the NFL maybe bigger and stronger and faster than the ones in college. That doesn't stop Austin from being faster than all of those guys.

If you think he'll bust because he's just to small to cut it as a good WR that's a fine enough point and one you're more then welcome too. However, there have been successful WRs at that height as mentioned Steve Smith is 1" taller then him and one hell of a success. Different player but a success, you do not have to be 6'3" to be a productive top level WR talent. You just have to have that talent. Tavon possesses that talent. I'm just tired of this whole "He's to small, he won't live through one season in the big bad NFL". It's just a stupid point of view on a guy that is probably the healthiest player coming out of college in any first round in the past decade. Saying he's going to get injured now with his current track record is like me claiming one of you will randomly get cancer tomorrow with no foreseen signs of it today. It's just an outrageous comment with no basis behind it besides what I (assume) are bitter dynasty owners who are upset they didn't have the ability to draft him and are trying to work up this random ruckus to make themselves feel better.

Will he succeed? Who knows, only time will tell. Will he be super injury prone because of his size or any other factors? Doubtful, his career doesn't show that statement has any ground to stand on.

I can't get over how people are still arguing about his size being relevant because "It's the NFL people are bigger, stronger and faster". It still doesn't change the fact that the kid has NEVER been hurt. Ever. Someone in this thread posted that he missed 1 practice out of like 406 his entire time at WVU. That's pure insanity, usually people will at least miss a practice here or there for something... ANYTHING. Whether it be a cold, an injury or just something that came up. He's talented, dedicated, has a good head on his shoulders (i.e. not Pacman) and is about as uninjury prone as you could possibly find for someone coming out of college. Most of these players come out with some large injury or surgery they had in High School/College. Not Tavon Austin, he broke his index finger after a game once. That's it... something that he had patched up and played with without any complications. So please... the guys in the NFL maybe bigger and stronger and faster than the ones in college. That doesn't stop Austin from being faster than all of those guys.

If you think he'll bust because he's just to small to cut it as a good WR that's a fine enough point and one you're more then welcome too. However, there have been successful WRs at that height as mentioned Steve Smith is 1" taller then him and one hell of a success. Different player but a success, you do not have to be 6'3" to be a productive top level WR talent. You just have to have that talent. Tavon possesses that talent. I'm just tired of this whole "He's to small, he won't live through one season in the big bad NFL". It's just a stupid point of view on a guy that is probably the healthiest player coming out of college in any first round in the past decade. Saying he's going to get injured now with his current track record is like me claiming one of you will randomly get cancer tomorrow with no foreseen signs of it today. It's just an outrageous comment with no basis behind it besides what I (assume) are bitter dynasty owners who are upset they didn't have the ability to draft him and are trying to work up this random ruckus to make themselves feel better.

Will he succeed? Who knows, only time will tell. Will he be super injury prone because of his size or any other factors? Doubtful, his career doesn't show that statement has any ground to stand on.
I never said that he will end up being injury prone or a bust due to his size, and in fact, I think that his uncanny knack for not taking big hits will be what will make him successful in the NFL. The reality is that the better caliber and talent of the defensive players that he will be facing in the NFL will be a factor, and it only takes 1 good hit to have Austin miss more practice and game time in the NFL than he ever did in college. The probability of that scenario is certainly higher now than it ever was in college.

I never said that he will end up being injury prone or a bust due to his size, and in fact, I think that his uncanny knack for not taking big hits will be what will make him successful in the NFL. The reality is that the better caliber and talent of the defensive players that he will be facing in the NFL will be a factor, and it only takes 1 good hit to have Austin miss more practice and game time in the NFL than he ever did in college. The probability of that scenario is certainly higher now than it ever was in college.
Okay sure, that's somewhat fair. My post was more directed at all the people who keep saying this as if it's some sort of certainty. Like he was constantly injured in high school and college cause he was small so how could he make it in the NFL. I just don't understand making completely baseless predictions. I think Ryan Tannenhill is going to throw for 5,000 yards and 45 TDs this season. That statement has as much evidence behind it as Tavon Austin getting seriously injured a bunch because of his size. That's all I'm trying to get across.

55 catches 860, 3 tds

Basically what TY Hilton did last year.
TY Hilton had 50 Rec, 860 yards and 7 TDs last year... Austin is A) More talented than Hilton and B) The #1 WR on his team not #3. If you're putting his level around TY Hilton I'd expect more like 75 Rec 1000, 10TDs and probably another like 300yds and 2-3 TDs on the ground as well.

55 catches 860, 3 tds

TY Hilton had 50 Rec, 860 yards and 7 TDs last year... Austin is A) More talented than Hilton and B) The #1 WR on his team not #3. If you're putting his level around TY Hilton I'd expect more like 75 Rec 1000, 10TDs and probably another like 300yds and 2-3 TDs on the ground as well.
in a redraft where would you target Austin?

55 catches 860, 3 tds

in a redraft where would you target Austin?
Well two of my three redrafts are return yardage leagues, so in those I'm targeting him around Rd 3-4 right now. In normal leagues though his ADP is about 6.06 right now I think? I'm willing to take a shot on him earlier than that in the 5th round though. In PPR leagues he's even a little higher still. Sam Bradford is a checkdown machine and Austin will be that guy a lot. They are going to use him so much that I see his floor as a low end WR2 and his ceiling as a Elite WR1. Short of an injury, which is a subject I've already broached enough in this thread.

Last year in a similar role Amendola saw 63 Receptions on 101 Targets for 663 yards and 3 TDs in 11 games. That's 9 targets a game, he was on pace for about 143 targets and 91 receptions. And Austin is a hell of a lot more talented than Amendola and will also see a decent amount of snaps from the backfield which is something Fischer has already said will happen.

55 catches 860, 3 tds

I must have missed where Austin won the #1 WR job in shorts and shells.

55 catches 860, 3 tds Basically what TY Hilton did last year.
I was thinking the same thing....

Also if Hilton was the #3 receiver, who was number 2 last year?

55 catches 860, 3 tds

Considering the assumptions that have been made about his injury likeliness in this thread? I'd say it's fairly safe to assume that the team who just drafted a WR with the #8 pick in the draft that had more or less zero real talent at WR last season and suffered massively because of it would make said #8 pick their #1 WR.

“We’re going to try to get the ball to him as often as we can, however we do that,” Fisher said.

The Rams see Austin as a uniquely talented player, a player who has such versatility that he could be the Rams’ leading receiver in one game, their leading rusher in another game, and score a touchdown on special teams in another game.

“He’s very talented. We drafted him because he’s got receiver skills, run skills, return skills. We think we can use him in all those areas,” Fisher said.
Honestly, who else on the team will see more overall touches/targets this season than Tavon Austin?

I assume he has DHB taking over the WR2 role, which I actually agree with.

Donnie Avery? You know the guy who had 35 more targets and I think around 15 more receptions and was #2 on the depth chart all year? Or did he not exist?

55 catches 860, 3 tds

Cobb hasn't even done this.

55 catches 860, 3 tds

Considering the assumptions that have been made about his injury likeliness in this thread? I'd say it's fairly safe to assume that the team who just drafted a WR with the #8 pick in the draft that had more or less zero real talent at WR last season and suffered massively because of it would make said #8 pick their #1 WR.

“We’re going to try to get the ball to him as often as we can, however we do that,” Fisher said.

The Rams see Austin as a uniquely talented player, a player who has such versatility that he could be the Rams’ leading receiver in one game, their leading rusher in another game, and score a touchdown on special teams in another game.

“He’s very talented. We drafted him because he’s got receiver skills, run skills, return skills. We think we can use him in all those areas,” Fisher said.
Honestly, who else on the team will see more overall touches/targets this season than Tavon Austin?
Zac ####### Stacy, that's who! BAM!

cstu said:
Khy said:
Sabertooth said:
55 catches 860, 3 tds

My only rebuttal to that would be that Cobb hasn't been a focal point of the Packers game plan yet. He's been a part of it, but his first season he was more of a trick play type of guy and not a big part of the offense and last season when he finally came into the fold because of Jennings injury he put up 80 Receptions for 954 yards and 8 TDs. With 10 rushing attempts for 132 yards and 0 TDs. Which is roughly around the numbers I'm quoting for Austin there. The difference being I think Austin much like Harvin last season will be the majority of the offense. And Harvin had an Adrian Peterson to compete for touches with, Austin has a Zac Stacy, Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Peed makeshift combo RB.

Khy said:
Sabertooth said:
jurb26 said:
Sabertooth said:
Khy said:
Sabertooth said:
Donnie Avery? You know the guy who had 35 more targets and I think around 15 more receptions and was #2 on the depth chart all year? Or did he not exist?
Forgot about him. Hilton scored more fantasy points though. Weird. I guess it's how you define the #2. Seeing as this is a fantasy football site, I thought we'd use, you know, fantasy points as a metric.

cstu said:
Khy said:
Sabertooth said:
55 catches 860, 3 tds

My only rebuttal to that would be that Cobb hasn't been a focal point of the Packers game plan yet. He's been a part of it, but his first season he was more of a trick play type of guy and not a big part of the offense and last season when he finally came into the fold because of Jennings injury he put up 80 Receptions for 954 yards and 8 TDs. With 10 rushing attempts for 132 yards and 0 TDs. Which is roughly around the numbers I'm quoting for Austin there. The difference being I think Austin much like Harvin last season will be the majority of the offense. And Harvin had an Adrian Peterson to compete for touches with, Austin has a Zac Stacy, Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Peed makeshift combo RB.
Total :bs: Jennings outscored Cobb exactly twice last season when both played last season. Cobb was the focal point from Week 1.

Khy said:
Sabertooth said:
jurb26 said:
Sabertooth said:
Khy said:
Sabertooth said:
Forgot about him. Hilton scored more fantasy points though. Weird. I guess it's how you define the #2. Seeing as this is a fantasy football site, I thought we'd use, you know, fantasy points as a metric.
Normally I would, but my statement was that TY HIlton was the #3 talent nor the #3 Fantasy WR on the team. It was simply that as far as the Colts organization was concerned he was the #3 WR on the team.

jurb26 said:
Sabertooth said:
jurb26 said:
Sabertooth said:
Khy said:
Sabertooth said:
DHB has never broken 1000 yards in a season. I don't see him doing it now. He did get 975 two years ago. I just think we've seen what he is. I am not expecting any upticks in his stats. I think Hilton is best suited for the slot obviously. But the team will get him the ball plenty.

All I know about Tavon Austin is that my cousin (OL) played at Dub V with him and said the man is a monster in the weight room and wants to outwork every single player. To me, Percy Harvin was a huge question mark when he came into the league and he's carved out quite a nice role in his respective offenses. If I remember correctly, Harvin had more character/work ethic flags. For Tavon to practice in 254 of 255 practices at WVU, it's hard not to believe this kid just loves to play football.

I've heard nothing but raves about his speed and agility. I cant help but be excited for his role in an offense that is shifting to more of a fast paced passing spread. Doesn't necessarily mean he's a lock for 80 catches, but he's certainly going to be getting the ball in his hands in space.

While it's easy to doubt him, I think he's gonna be a very fun player to watch withthe threat to score from anywhere on the field. He went 2 overall in my dynasty PPR but I was able to snag him via a trade post draft. I will sit back and enjoy the show, as I expect it to be a good one.

Disclaimer: Dynasty owner of Bradford, Cook, Givens, Quick, Tavon, and Bailey (you better believe I'm hoping for the 'Greatest Show on Turf part 2').

Total :bs: Jennings outscored Cobb exactly twice last season when both played last season. Cobb was the focal point from Week 1.
I really think you're missing my point, I'm talking about things right now from a 'football perspective' same with the TY Hilton argument. As far as the Packers were concerned Cobb was a big part of the offense but he wasn't a focal point in the sense Austin will be and Harvin was. Harvin more or less had his own playbook with the Vikings and will also have a similar role in Seattle. This is the type of role that the Rams are looking to have with Austin. Cobb was just a WR last season he got 10 carries out of the backfield on a few tricky plays that's it. Austin should see 30-40 carries out of the backfield and well over 100 targets in the receiving game. He'll have custom designed plays just for him.

When I say focal point I don't mean fantasy football focal point, I mean the offense, if it runs how Fischer wants it to, is going to run through their RBs and Austin.

Khy said:
Sabertooth said:
jurb26 said:
Sabertooth said:
Khy said:
Sabertooth said:
Normally I would, but my statement was that TY HIlton was the #3 talent nor the #3 Fantasy WR on the team. It was simply that as far as the Colts organization was concerned he was the #3 WR on the team.
I disagree but that's fine. I still have a hard time thinking Austin does much more than 180 ppr points or so. Which is where Hilton was last year. He's small, really small. And let's face it, Jeff Fisher who is a great coach, isn't exactly known for his dominance with wideouts.

Something else to consider is the direction the cornerback position is trending. To defend the big, physical wideouts teams are placing more of an emphasis on big, physical corners. One way to offset big, physical corners is to go back to small, hyper quick receivers. I think Austin will be a tough matchup for the Richard Shermans and Brandon Browners of the league.

I like Austin more as a dynasty prospect. I think that in redraft leagues, the hype will see it challenging for Austin to live up to his ADP, as the Rams have a large group of first year, second year, and third year receivers and tight ends who will all be looking to carve out their share of the passing targets.

I also think that Bradford will still need another year or two of having everything gel and click for him in this offensive system and for all of the other pieces to come together in terms of the offensive line and running backs.

I like Austin more as a dynasty prospect. I think that in redraft leagues, the hype will see it challenging for Austin to live up to his ADP, as the Rams have a large group of first year, second year, and third year receivers and tight ends who will all be looking to carve out their share of the passing targets.

I also think that Bradford will still need another year or two of having everything gel and click for him in this offensive system and for all of the other pieces to come together in terms of the offensive line and running backs.
The biggest reason I want him right now is because I'm in two redraft return yardage leagues. In those leagues I think he'll greatly outproduce his ADP. If he's still going around 6.06 (believe that was his ADP last I checked) I fully expect to draft him in the 4th or 5th round of those redrafts. Even if he comes in with say 800 rec, 200 rushing, 7 TDs overall (which is a pretty low projection for him imo) but saying that which would put him right around low WR2 high WR3 numbers where I see his floor to be. Add on another like 1100 yards in the return game and a TD or two and now he's a low WR1 possibly mid WR1. So in those leagues I have him way up my boards. I'm only in one non-return yardage redraft in those leagues I'll still be rather pleased getting him around 6th-7th round as my WR3/flex.

DHB has never broken 1000 yards in a season. I don't see him doing it now. He did get 975 two years ago. I just think we've seen what he is. I am not expecting any upticks in his stats. I think Hilton is best suited for the slot obviously. But the team will get him the ball plenty.
He got 975 despite missing a game and getting only 1 target combined in two other games. And that was with a combo of Palmer and Campbell instead of Luck.

My top comps physically:

Roscoe Parrish
DeSean Jackson
T.Y. Hilton
Sinorice Moss
Titus Young

He has to put 10-15 lb on to be successful in the NFL I think

My top comps physically:

Roscoe Parrish
DeSean Jackson
T.Y. Hilton
Sinorice Moss
Titus Young

I hate this argument for a WR. For a RB, Lineman, Defensive player sure. A WR is imo the one position where I think saying "He needs to add x lbs to be successful" doesn't add up to much. What are 10-15 lbs going to do for him? I mean honestly... it's not like he's some skinny little kid he's light weight but the dude is said to be a freak in the gym and maintain some crazy body fat % numbers. What does he gain by getting 15lbs heavier... he slows down a little bit and probably loses half a step. Where does this idea come from that by adding 10-15lbs to a WR all of a sudden he's more effective at catching a football and making guys miss?

This is the problem with FANTASY football. It's based on REALITY football or the NFL. In the NFL, Donnie Avery is the #2 WR, get more balls thrown his way, get more plays but not always get more points because we have a flawed system of scoring. We score for things that the NFL does not. If Team A scores 1 TD and gets 600 yards of offense and team B scores 3 FG's and has only 100 yards of offense, Team B wins.

You need to step back and admit the guy was right rather than base scoring on the fantasy we play. Avery was the WR2 on that team last year. You can argue the larger point about Austin, but Avery was the WR2 for the Colts. They don't make depth charts based on fantasy stats otherwise Darren Sproles would be the starting tailback for the Saints.

He got 975 despite missing a game and getting only 1 target combined in two other games. And that was with a combo of Palmer and Campbell instead of Luck.
That's true. So true. I think that is his career high water mark. He didn't have Fleener and Wayne on the team then either.

This is the problem with FANTASY football. It's based on REALITY football or the NFL. In the NFL, Donnie Avery is the #2 WR, get more balls thrown his way, get more plays but not always get more points because we have a flawed system of scoring. We score for things that the NFL does not. If Team A scores 1 TD and gets 600 yards of offense and team B scores 3 FG's and has only 100 yards of offense, Team B wins.

You need to step back and admit the guy was right rather than base scoring on the fantasy we play. Avery was the WR2 on that team last year. You can argue the larger point about Austin, but Avery was the WR2 for the Colts. They don't make depth charts based on fantasy stats otherwise Darren Sproles would be the starting tailback for the Saints.
Sure he was. And he was sent packing too with nobody added because he wasn't valuable enough in that role. Getting back to Austin, I highly doubt he finishes with 1300+ and 13 touchdowns. That would be better than Julio Jones.

My top comps physically:

Roscoe Parrish
DeSean Jackson
T.Y. Hilton
Sinorice Moss
Titus Young

I hate this argument for a WR. For a RB, Lineman, Defensive player sure. A WR is imo the one position where I think saying "He needs to add x lbs to be successful" doesn't add up to much. What are 10-15 lbs going to do for him? I mean honestly... it's not like he's some skinny little kid he's light weight but the dude is said to be a freak in the gym and maintain some crazy body fat % numbers. What does he gain by getting 15lbs heavier... he slows down a little bit and probably loses half a step. Where does this idea come from that by adding 10-15lbs to a WR all of a sudden he's more effective at catching a football and making guys miss?
Getting off the line is a very important part of being a WR. If a strong corner doesn't let you get upfield to run your route, you might as well not be on the field.

Sure he was. And he was sent packing too with nobody added because he wasn't valuable enough in that role. Getting back to Austin, I highly doubt he finishes with 1300+ and 13 touchdowns. That would be better than Julio Jones.
The fact that Avery was cut after the season does not change his role on the team or the depth chart for 2012.

I highly doubt Austin gets 1300 yards receiving, but 1300 yards and 13 TD's is doable, but I doubt it. If he is used frequently on the ground he could rack up say 400 yards rushing (only 25 yards per game) and 900 in the air. I'm thinking more like 800 in the air (50 yards per game) and 300 yards rushing and 10 combined TD's, but that's just me and that would be a great rookie season.

My top comps physically:

Roscoe Parrish
DeSean Jackson
T.Y. Hilton
Sinorice Moss
Titus Young

Getting off the line is a very important part of being a WR. If a strong corner doesn't let you get upfield to run your route, you might as well not be on the field.
Much like Harvin, Welker and Amendola who are guys that play a similar role to what Austin will be playing. He will likely never actually be on the line and will always line up behind the LOS for this exact reason. These guys don't do well at the bump and run type coverages, you line them up behind the line and let them use their speed and quickness to get past the corner without being bumped or possibly just ignoring him completely.

The Shutdown Corner NFC West draft review podcast with Greg CosellBy Doug Farrar

Excerpt:

On how receiver Tavon Austin will change the Rams' offense: "As soon as they made that pick, and I was doing radio that night at the draft, I said that the Rams [will go with a more wide-open offense." Keep in mind what the Rams' personnel is. They have two tight ends who can move in Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks. They've got Tavon Austin. They've got Chris Givens, who a lot of people have forgotten about, but that kid can run. Everyone's talked about Chip Kelly and the speed offense, and taking nothing away from him, but in Sam Bradford's Heisman year, Oklahoma scored 60-plus points five or six weeks in a row, and I think they averaged 82 plays a game. Bradford's played in that, and they don't have what you'd call a feature back. So to me, everything about their skill positions signifies hurry-up, spread, tempo, speed to get guys in space."

Users who are viewing this thread