Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rrochetti

Who to keep?

10 posts in this topic

I'm in a 12-team, 16-player per roster PPR league. While I'm in the thick of the playoff race, a couple of the teams that are out of contention and have a dim keeper situation for next season have begun to inquire about acquiring one of my gems during the off-season. It doesn't hurt me to at least think about this now, so here is how our keeper system works:

You are required to keep two players from the previous season. You can keep a player no more than twice (for example, I drafted Lesean McCoy in 2010 and kept him in 2011 and this year, so next year he goes back in the draft pool. I drafted Gronk in 2011 and kept him this year, so I could keep him next year, but in 2014 he'd go back to the draft pool). In the off-season, you can trade anyone in your roster, but his keeper status goes with him (does not reset). So I couldn't trade McCoy, and if I traded Gronk, his owner could only keep him for 2013.

My choices for next year are the aforementioned Gronk, who I could only keep for one more year, and RG3, Doug Martin, and Dez Bryant (a distant 4th, though he has been putting up WR1 numbers). Any of the last 3, I'd be able to hold for 2013 and 2014. Doug Martin has been drawing the most interest, and I could probably fetch a first- or second-round pick for him. Also, if I kept Gronk and RG3, I could spend the entire draft stocking up on nothing but backs and receivers (upside down drafting at its finest). However, Doug Martin looks like an RB1 for years to come, and if I kept him and RG3, I could have both for 2013 AND 2014.

There is always the option of keeping Martin and Gronk and going back into the draft for a QB, but in this league, the top 5 or so QB's are always kept, so my chances of landing an elite guy through the draft are pretty slim.

I'd be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts, and will help you with your questions in return.

Yup, I would go Martin and RG3 as well. You should rack up some draft picks trading Gronk and Dez. another advice Go Dynsty. you got the right thinking. good owners look ahead. good luck

Yup, I would go Martin and RG3 as well. You should rack up some draft picks trading Gronk and Dez. another advice Go Dynsty. you got the right thinking. good owners look ahead. good luck

Thanks for the input. Currently leaning Martin and RG3. I'd love to go dynasty, especially with as much young talent as I have on my roster, but it'd never pass. We have a pretty broad range in owner quality in this league, from the guys who are very committed to the guys that will forget to remove players that are injured or on byes from their lineup. It was hard enough to get the current keeper system and a $100 FAAB to be accepted over the last 2 years.

I don't think you can go wrong with either strategy you mentioned but I always look at how much turnover seems to happen at the RB position and I like "thinking outside the box" myself. I like the RG3/Gronk combo and then scooping up evy back you can get. I think Gronk has made it clear he is a one of a kind player.

For all you know, Martin could have a year like Rice or McCoy. Not bad but not top three either. As long as Gronk is healthy, he'll dominate.

Mine? http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=668873

I don't think you can go wrong with either strategy you mentioned but I always look at how much turnover seems to happen at the RB position and I like "thinking outside the box" myself. I like the RG3/Gronk combo and then scooping up evy back you can get. I think Gronk has made it clear he is a one of a kind player.

For all you know, Martin could have a year like Rice or McCoy. Not bad but not top three either. As long as Gronk is healthy, he'll dominate.

The advantages to keeping RG3 and Gronk are twofold. One, as I mentioned, is getting to dedicate my entire draft to backs and receivers, knowing that I have top 5 guys at QB and TE. The second is that I think I can get a king's ransom for Doug Martin. We have a guy that's been hitting me up with trade offers for Martin since about 30 minutes after our draft. His keeper situation is also looking bad (some combo of MJD, Murray, and Spiller), so given his Martin love, I can probably fetch a healthy return.

The main downside seems to be only getting one more year out of Gronk, as opposed to two from Martin. But that assumes no sophomore slump (though the same can be said for RG3).

The advantages to keeping RG3 and Gronk are twofold. One, as I mentioned, is getting to dedicate my entire draft to backs and receivers, knowing that I have top 5 guys at QB and TE. The second is that I think I can get a king's ransom for Doug Martin. We have a guy that's been hitting me up with trade offers for Martin since about 30 minutes after our draft. His keeper situation is also looking bad (some combo of MJD, Murray, and Spiller), so given his Martin love, I can probably fetch a healthy return.

The main downside seems to be only getting one more year out of Gronk, as opposed to two from Martin. But that assumes no sophomore slump (though the same can be said for RG3).

See I like this line of thought. If you can get a king's ransom for Martin, do it! You play to win now right? Play to win next year too!

Since you have RG3, I have an extra question for you: in a keeper league would you rather him or Rodgers?

Good luck man!

Re-opening this discussion. In light of Dez's emergence as a possible top-5 receiver and the Washington coaching staff's efforts to curb RG3's designed runs (even before his recent injury), it seems worth reassessing.

The only way you dump Martin is if you can get a No. 1 Pick. Good RBs are hard to come by and you could corner the market on two of them (of those who aren't kept).

WRs are second in line to RBs. Period. However, if you are going to go WR, I wouldn't rank Dez over Gronk. Gronk, when healthy, gets his EVERY game. All other WRs (including Calvin...and I'll throw Roddy in here because he had a great season) will have off games. Since TEs are basically WRs and you HAVE to use them, put him in this mix and keep him Ranked No. 1 out of your receivers.

I'm betting you can do better than Martin (who's no Alf Morris) but if you can't, keep him. You'll be able to pick up a top WR while everyone else is picking up RBs.

Well, this has pretty much taken care of itself, unless there is a really good argument for Dez over Gronk.