What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What to Make of Sanu (1 Viewer)

Stewy

Footballguy
Sanu's been pretty darn good these past few weeks, but I have no idea what to make of him for the next few weeks. Is he a play in the playoffs or not?

His targets have been nice (i.e. 6, 4, and 9 the past 3 weeks). But, he's surviving almost exclusively on TD (4 TD in the past 3 weeks, but averaging only 32 yards per game).

I am mainly hoping to hear from Cinci fans about how he is being used in the offense. Is his production sustainable for a playoff run? It's just odd seeing such high target numbers and such low yardage.

Hawkins has missed the last 2 games and Marvin Jones, who the staff loves, has just gotten healthy enough to play again after getting hurt right when he got his shot.

I'd stash him on the bench, but I would not start Sanu yet...at least this week anyway. Maybe if you're desperate and Hawkins is still out.

I think AJ Green is already at the point in his career, where he can make someone else semi-famous. We've seen it countless times with guys like Kevin Walter (Andre Johnson) and Calvin (Burleson and #### Young), creating space for marginal talents (even look back to Herman Moore and what he did for Johnnie Morton). Now I am not saying where Sanu ranks among these wing-men, but the thing holding him back, is that at this point in his career, he is no different than his running mates in Hawkins and Jones...the one who emerges from that mess, will be the sneaky guy to own, but I am just not sure we see a consistent production from any one of them in the coming weeks. This may play out in camp of 2013.

I think AJ Green is already at the point in his career, where he can make someone else semi-famous. We've seen it countless times with guys like Kevin Walter (Andre Johnson) and Calvin (Burleson and #### Young), creating space for marginal talents (even look back to Herman Moore and what he did for Johnnie Morton). Now I am not saying where Sanu ranks among these wing-men, but the thing holding him back, is that at this point in his career, he is no different than his running mates in Hawkins and Jones...the one who emerges from that mess, will be the sneaky guy to own, but I am just not sure we see a consistent production from any one of them in the coming weeks. This may play out in camp of 2013.
Sanu reminds me of a faster Housh when he was at his best, absolutely has the ability to be that guy in this offense. All of the favorable reports about Jones is the only reason for pause, Hawkins has his role and it won't effect Sanu much in the long term (might this year though), but Jones is a concern. Could be a case in which both eat into each other's touches.

Sanu's YPC was pretty low in college (at least given his production level) so seeing it low in the pros isn't much of a surprise.

'RUSF18 said:
Sanu's YPC was pretty low in college (at least given his production level) so seeing it low in the pros isn't much of a surprise.
Sanu has been running under routes--short crosses and screens underneath coverage. He looks to me like a poor man's Welker. His hands are incredible as evidenced by that one handed TD, but if you look at college highlights, you will see other incredible catches. I think his catching and RAC ability will separate him from Jones. However, as much as I like him, I wouldn't feel comfortable starting him until he continues to do well another few weeks. And I would prefer him in PPR leagues rather than yardage leagues. He does have a big body and is good in RZ, so while the TDs are hard to predict, I do think he will get his RZ opportunities in the future.

I posted more extensively about Sanu in the dynasty value thread two weeks ago, but my take is that he has a pretty good chance to put up nice numbers down the stretch. He has made some great catches. He has also looked very good running the ball as a RB and has been lining up in the backfield a few times per game.

He also has a matchup against the Eagles D in the fantasy playoffs. If the first quarter of this MNF game is any indication, that could be a pretty attractive matchup.

Sanu hurt in practice

WR Mohamed Sanu was added to Thursday's practice report as limited with a foot injury. The injury ostensibly happened during practice. The rookie touchdown threat is meeting with the team's medical staff in the morning, which suggests his status for Week 13 may be in question. Check back Friday for an update, though Sanu should not be in fantasy lineups as a WR3 option regardless. Nov 29 - 4:15 PM

Sanu hurt in practice

WR Mohamed Sanu was added to Thursday's practice report as limited with a foot injury. The injury ostensibly happened during practice. The rookie touchdown threat is meeting with the team's medical staff in the morning, which suggests his status for Week 13 may be in question. Check back Friday for an update, though Sanu should not be in fantasy lineups as a WR3 option regardless. Nov 29 - 4:15 PM
I don't know that I agree with the assessment that, if healthy, Sanu should not be in fantasy lineups as a WR3. A one or two I understand the sentiment, but if I needed a three, I don't think I'd have much problem at all using him there. Lots of upside potential. As a three, that seems like a worthwhile play.

Sanu hurt in practice

I don't know that I agree with the assessment that, if healthy, Sanu should not be in fantasy lineups as a WR3. A one or two I understand the sentiment, but if I needed a three, I don't think I'd have much problem at all using him there. Lots of upside potential. As a three, that seems like a worthwhile play.
Definitely. That's a bad writeup by RotoWorld in my opinion. He's been finding the end zone with regularity and has taken hold of the No. 2 job in an offense with a good QB and weapons around him. I currently have him penciled in as my WR4 ahead of Denarius Moore and thought he was looking real good before yesterday's injury.

I am worried about starting him this week because of the injury. However, long term, and if he plays, I like him. Here is what his OC said about him after this week:

'He's awesome in the red zone,' offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. 'In zones he has a great feel for finding the holes and man-to-man he's got a big body (6-2, 210) where he can create separation for himself. He's everything we hoped he would be. It just took us too long a time to figure it out I guess.'

Per Joe Reedy, Bangals beat writer:

Lewis says Sanu suffered a stress fracture during practice on Thursday. Surgery on Monday

Rotoworld:

ESPN's AFC North Blog expects Mohamed Sanu win the Bengals' No. 2 receiver job.

Sanu had the starting job won in October of last year, leading to a five-game run in which he totaled 16 catches for 154 yards and scored four touchdowns. But a Week 13 stress fracture stopped all momentum. Now he'll enter camp ahead of Marvin Jones as they battle for the spot opposite A.J. Green. Any real upside is thwarted by Sanu's role as an underneath, possession receiver.

Related: Marvin Jones

Source: ESPN.com

As a Green owner I hope Sanu stays healthy and is productive. He did touch into AJ's production maybe a tad last year but throwing another receiving threat out there may help AJ draw some one-on-one coverage sometimes.

As a Bengals fan I agree with rotoworld's assessment on this one. Clear edge as the #2 WR.

-QG
As a bengals fan, I also agree with that assessment. The Bengals didn't go out and get another starting WR in the draft or FA. Sanu would have to be the clear cut #2 WR going into camp. One other thing that might effect Sanu's production would be the Bengals going to more 2 TE sets with them drafting Eiffert and already having Gresham.

I think Marvin Jones has just as good of a shot to win WR2. More likely, they share time and are mostly worthless for fantasy.

I'm quietly excited about this guy, especially for PPR leagues. He's always been a solid redzone target and if he's truly improved his route running and ability to separate, he could put up really good numbers. Jones is out for the first several weeks, giving Sanu the chance to lock up the WR2 role, and he's not likely to be a focal point for the defense given all of the weapons Cincy has in the passing game.

I like Sanu more and more. He's having a great preseason and I'm not convinced Jones will be back anytime soon. There really isn't a backup plan to him being the WR2 for now in a decent offense.

I was really close to grabbing him with my last pick but took a flier on Malcolm Floyd instead....will be keeping an eye on him though.

I like Sanu more and more. He's having a great preseason and I'm not convinced Jones will be back anytime soon. There really isn't a backup plan to him being the WR2 for now in a decent offense.
I've REALLY liked him since he came into the league. He's very physical, and seemed like he could develop into a very good #2 beside AJ. I was really disappointed in his use last year. I snagged him in every league I'm in. This year, with the Jones injury, his stock is quite a bit higher, so I missed in many leagues. The silver lining is that Jones' injury will give him his prime opportunity to shine. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.

Available on the waiver wire so I dropped Josh Gordon for him. I think he could be in for a solid year. They expect M. Jones to be back after the week 4 bye but I've seen reports saying that may be optimistic for the injury he has. If he impresses while Jones is out, he may keep the #2 wr in Cinc.

I have him on every single one of my rosters. In a 28 round draft last night (ffpc best ball) I got him in the 18th round. People are sleeping.

I'm torn on his dynasty value. He looks like a beast ready to break out this year, and I'm not sure I can justify dropping him at the roster deadline and keeping some of the drafted rookies.

Gosh this thread discussion is exactly what happened about midseason last year when Jones beat (rather handily) Sanu for recognition as the WR2. I get that Jones is hurt, but to think Sanu is suddenly entrenched as the starter when Jones gets back is... short sighted.

Seriously, rewatch the 2013 Bengals season.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the question......when will Jones return. I have my doubts it'll be after the Week 4 bye. I think it's just as likely IMO 2014 is a lost season entirely for Jones.

Lots of positive press with Sanu's offseason (and he's looked very good this preseason). And if Sanu's preseason play carries into the season, there's little reason to rush Jones back.

Very questionable with what we've seen with Julio and Dobson recovery times that Jones will make it back in 2 months' time. In the meantime, Sanu's a nice WR4 for the time being.

Gosh this thread discussion is exactly what happened about midseason last year when Jones beat (rather handily) Sanu for recognition as the WR2. I get that Jones is hurt, but to think Sanu is suddenly entrenched as the starter when Jones gets back is... short sighted.

Seriously, rewatch the 2013 Bengals season.
Believe me, I agree with you about how good Jones was 2013. It depends how healthy Jones is though. I'll be mildly surprised if he's 100% any time in 2014.

August 13:

Bengals Camp Report: Day 15

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/135562/bengals-camp-report-day-15

Excerpt:

There are two types of pass-catchers in the game of football: Those who catch with their hands, and those who catch with their bodies. Count Mohamed Sanu among the former. For as long as he can remember, Sanu has used his body to glide toward the ball and his hands to snatch it out of the air -- even at times when other receivers might use the unpopular, unconventional style of body-catching. Sometimes, the body catch is about all a receiver feels like he can do in order to grab the ball before getting smacked by a defender. We're highlighting Sanu's hands style of catching here because he showcased it regularly Wednesday afternoon as the Bengals went through their second-to-last open practice of the preseason. Perhaps his best catch came along a sideline when he got both feet down after jumping over reserve cornerback Victor Hampton and catching a pass mid-air before it hit Hampton's back.

Rotoworld:

Mohamed Sanu caught five passes for 70 yards in Sunday's preseason game against the Cardinals.

On the heels of Marvin Jones' injury, Sanu's big August continues. He's been a star of camp practices and has piled up seven catches for 126 yards with one touchdown through three preseason games. Sanu appears to be making some strides off the low-upside slot receiver we've seen from him through two NFL seasons, and has an every-down role until Jones returns. Deep leaguers could do worse for a WR4/5.

Aug 24 - 10:45 PM

I'm torn on his dynasty value. He looks like a beast ready to break out this year, and I'm not sure I can justify dropping him at the roster deadline and keeping some of the drafted rookies.
I have had him in the past and I like his hands, but he doesn't have the big play ability of Jones. It looks to me like he is a good player to own in redraft for the first few weeks, but I don't see any reason to think Jones won't displace him when he returns.

Rotoworld:

Mohamed Sanu - WR - Bengals

Mohamed Sanu projects as the Bengals' No. 1 receiver Sunday, with Brandon Tate and Dane Sanzenbacher behind him.

A.J. Green (toe), Marvin Jones (foot) and Tyler Eifert (elbow) are all almost certainly out. It leaves the moderately talented yet improving Sanu with a huge opportunity. Ideally, the Bengals will try to dominate the game with Gio Bernard/Jeremy Hill, but if they fall behind Sanu will be peppered with targets. He's on the WR3 and Fanduel radar against an unimposing Panthers pass defense.

Related: Brandon Tate, Dane Sanzenbacher

Source: ESPN.com

Oct 9 - 8:59 AM

These are the decisions that have been killing my weeks, recently. Sanu, now? Great. It's a great problem to have, but Sanu? Beckham? Benjamin? Robinson? I need to play in a best ball league.

I don't know, Toe injuries scare the hell out of me. He may never be the same all year. I mean how to you run without your big toe and how do you let it heal playing on it? I am buying Sanu for the season as I think AJ may be a scratch most of the year.

I know what to do with Sanu - PUT him in my lineup ... While the Bengals may run more this week Sanu should have a big game with both Green and Jones OUT

Rotoworld:

Mohamed Sanu caught 11 passes for 120 yards and one touchdown in the Bengals' Week 6, 37-37 tie with the Panthers.

Sanu was targeted a whopping 15 times as the clear-cut No. 1 option in a passing game minus A.J. Green (toe), Marvin Jones (ankle), and Tyler Eifert (elbow). Sanu has struggled with drops a bit this season, but he's also been one of the biggest breakouts a third of the way through the year. Sanu roasted CB Melvin White for a 22- and 34-yard catches on back-to-back plays in the fourth quarter, with the 34-yarder ending in six points. With Green and Jones likely out again next week, Sanu will be the No. 1 versus the Colts. He's a WR3.

Oct 12 - 5:43 PM

Users who are viewing this thread