What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official X-Men Thread: Dark Phoenix is up next (1 Viewer)

Comics Rogue: awesome. Movie Rogue: horrible. I couldn't care less that her one minor scene was cut.
Agreed. She was one of the worst adaptations from comic to screen. Gambit being the worst.
worse than Deadpool? that was truly horrible.
True. But at least Wade Wilson had the snarky attitude before his turn into Deadpool. The creation story took a lot of liberty though.

Rogue and Gambit aren't even the same people.

Considering what a gigantic mess Fox made out of this franchise save First Class, which still had problems sticking to the source material and had some woefully bad casting choices for the parts of Emma Frost in particular,
Are you nuts?!!? Would smash harder than the Hulk!!!

The reviews are fantastic.

They are running at an extremely high 91% favorable on Rotten Tomatoes so far after 89 reviews.

Going tomorrow night. I can't wait...

Up to 92% on Rotten Tomatoes after 116 reviews which is really high for a genre movie.

It is also starting out strong on IMDB at a solid 8.9 after 14k votes.

It looks like they nailed this.

Fan-fracking-tastic movie. Movie could have been three hours long and would have been great. All comic book movies should follow a similar formula.

Only one encore scene and that comes after the credits. I need to research what it was about (no spoilers).

The only thing missing from the movie was Anna Paquin. Needed some Paquin.

Saw it, Anna Pacquin was in there at the end. Good movie, the after credits trailer was cool as well.
I didn't want to say it as it is a spoiler. But, needed more Paquin in the Rogue uniform. More Rogue.

Fan-fracking-tastic movie. Movie could have been three hours long and would have been great.
I heard Singer chopped a lot to get it to this time frame. If this proves popular I bet we will see some sort of extended edition on Blu Ray.
I guess it depends what was chopped. I think the action was spot on. Enough dialogue but the story could have lasted another 20-30 and I'd be cool with that. Just wanted more.

Can someone tell me if this is too violent for children? I bought my 5 yr old to his first superhero movie last week (Amazing Spiderman 2) and I thought that movie was fairly safe but I know the last XMen movie seemed too violent for children to me (shooting, Wolverine stabbing people, etc). Might have to skip this one especially if the director is in the theater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this worth 3D?

Going this weekend. This is the part of the X-Men series I enjoyed the most as a kid. Seems like they did a good job.

Is this worth 3D?

Going this weekend. This is the part of the X-Men series I enjoyed the most as a kid. Seems like they did a good job
Saw it last night. I usually don't gee movies in 3D unless they truly call for it. I was actually glad I did. Quicksilver's scene is worth the 3d alone.

Also you have to stay through the ENTIRE credits for the usual Marvel extra scene. As a x-men fan, I knew the character, but 99% of the audience was left saying "WTF?!?!?"

shadyridr said:
Can someone tell me if this is too violent for children? I bought my 5 yr old to his first superhero movie last week (Amazing Spiderman 2) and I thought that movie was fairly safe but I know the last XMen movie seemed too violent for children to me (shooting, Wolverine stabbing people, etc). Might have to skip this one especially if the director is in the theater.
Mutants get implaled, one head gets ripped off, plus shooting from the sentinels. Another reason not to take them is that there are some parts that would bore the life out of 5 year old.

shadyridr said:
Mutants get implaled, one head gets ripped off, plus shooting from the sentinels. Another reason not to take them is that there are some parts that would bore the life out of 5 year old.
thanks. Will have to see on my own

Also you have to stay through the ENTIRE credits for the usual Marvel extra scene. As a x-men fan, I knew the character, but 99% of the audience was left saying "WTF?!?!?"
I'm not a comics guy and that's exactly my reaction.Also, very enjoyable movie.

can you tell us who you`re talking about in a spoiler tag? If i dont know who you are referring to id like to google it so i understand it when i see it ...thank you

Just saw it and it was pretty good.

Brought my 7 year old son and had no issues with content.

What was the extra content though? I didn't stay because I thought only the official Marvel movies did that. Usual, can you throw me a description in a spoiler tag? Gracias.

Also, on a more prurient note -

1. I do not get the love for Jennifer Lawrence. She is not unattractive, but I feel no need to smash.

2. However, the redhead that plays Jean Grey? Would smash hard.

3. And obviously Halle Berry. Who among us hasn't lost layers of skin watching Monster's Ball?

Also, Quicksilver was well done, and quite funny. He was perhaps the sole humorous spot in an otherwise dark movie.

can you tell us who you`re talking about in a spoiler tag? If i dont know who you are referring to id like to google it so i understand it when i see it ...thank you
I had to look it up - the character was Apocalypse, when he was in Egypt. It made sense once I knew who it was. I am familiar with Apocalypse from the X-Men cartoon when I was a kid, but I actually thought it was a woman when I saw the profile. :bag: So I was like "who the #### is this blue skinned woman?"

Quicksilver was Michael Scott's nephew... the one that brought coffee and was spanked. Was bugging me.

Also bugging me was Stryker. He was in The Pacific as one of the marines. Thought hes been around more.

Just got back and really enjoyed it. It stands up to First Class, XM1 and XM2 in quality.

I have not been that entertained by a single scene in a long time as the wonderful Time in a Bottle scene.

Two questions and one comment.

1) First about the ending

Are we suppose to now believe Logan does not have the metal skeleton because Mystique saved him from Stryker and if so what would that mean to a 3rd Wolverine movie?
2) Second, the after credit scene

This was beautifully shot. The 4 horsemen on the hill in the background representing the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse was very clever imo. I know they are hoping to do an Age of Apocalypse movie. Will that be the younger cast?
3) Comment

Wished they had spent 30 seconds on a quick explanation of how future Charles got his body back beyond the throw away line at the end of The Wolverine. Similarly, a ultra short explanation on how future Logan got his metal claws back would have been helpful, but these are just small nits
Everyone in our theater was also WTF? about the after credits scene and one guy called out "Anyone know what that was?" so I screamed out the answer and people let out a collective "ahhhhhh!" Quite cute.

Awesome movie. I don't know how they'd manage it, but I'd love for them to continue with the younger cast in that "fixed" timeline. The actors are better across the board. But the issue with that is that every movie would have to be a period piece, in a way. It was awesome seeing it all come together and come full circle in this movie, but I'm just kind of over the Stewart/McKellen/Berry and whoever plays Jean Grey and Scott Summers cast.

Then again, if they're doing an Age of Apocolypse storyline, it kind of HAS to be after that "fixed" future the movie ended in...because the AOA future is way darker than the future they were trying to prevent in this movie, if it happened they wouldn't have recovered to the point they were at the end of the movie...too much changes.

I'd love to see Sinister and that while AOA lineup though.

Also, the integration of both casts was great. It was awesome to see the "old" cast play a role with the "younger" cast. The scene of Professor X is one for the ages, imo.

Needed more Paquin though.

I though it was very good, but only on par with First Class and probably a little below X2 for the series. Not blow away great like some of the reviews make it sound. The Qucksilver part was fantastic, right down to the nod to his paternal bloodlines... the bar is set high there for the Avengers version.

I though it was very good, but only on par with First Class and probably a little below X2 for the series. Not blow away great like some of the reviews make it sound. The Qucksilver part was fantastic, right down to the nod to his paternal bloodlines... the bar is set high there for the Avengers version.
I think the tone of the Marvel Quicksilver is going to be significantly different than the happy go lucky XMen version. They will be so different I think it will be difficult to compare.

When I first saw the guy in Egypt I was thinking "What is this? Another Magneto except he can move stone around with his thoughts?" Just felt like "been there, done that."

Had extremely low expectations for this one and was planning on avoiding it altogether. Kinda surprised by the good reviews...

Planning on seeing this tonight. 2 questions:

1. I read the comics as a kid and teenager, but I only saw the first movie (that was right when my daughters were born and I stopped going to see most movies at that point for a few years). Will I be able to understand what's going on?

2. My wife and 2 daughters (13 and 11) haven't seen any of the movies and know nothing about the X-men. Will they understand what's going on?

Thx

Awesome movie. I don't know how they'd manage it, but I'd love for them to continue with the younger cast in that "fixed" timeline. The actors are better across the board. But the issue with that is that every movie would have to be a period piece, in a way. It was awesome seeing it all come together and come full circle in this movie, but I'm just kind of over the Stewart/McKellen/Berry and whoever plays Jean Grey and Scott Summers cast.

Then again, if they're doing an Age of Apocolypse storyline, it kind of HAS to be after that "fixed" future the movie ended in...because the AOA future is way darker than the future they were trying to prevent in this movie, if it happened they wouldn't have recovered to the point they were at the end of the movie...too much changes.

X-Men: Apocalypse is going to be set in the early 80's with the Fassbender/McAvoy cast. Also Channing Tatum has been aready cast as Gambit and after Quicksilver stole the show, producers are aiming for a bigger role for him in the next movie.

Quicksilver was Michael Scott's nephew... the one that brought coffee and was spanked. Was bugging me.

Also bugging me was Stryker. He was in The Pacific as one of the marines. Thought hes been around more.
Quicksilver is played by Evan Peters. He got the role after Singer saw him in the three seasons of American Horror Story. I'm interested in seeing how quicksilver is going to be handled in next year's Avengers movie since he going to be played by a different actor in Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

Pics of Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch

1. I read the comics as a kid and teenager, but I only saw the first movie (that was right when my daughters were born and I stopped going to see most movies at that point for a few years). Will I be able to understand what's going on?

2. My wife and 2 daughters (13 and 11) haven't seen any of the movies and know nothing about the X-men. Will they understand what's going on?

Thx
Anything you miss won't detract from the enjoyment of the main plot. Also, I was worried my 7 year old wouldn't get all the time-traveling stuff, but he was fine. Admittedly, this might be because he watches enormous amounts of Dr. Who with this mother. A couple words of explanation should do the trick, Tim.

I just remembered one thing for the parents out there -

While the film itself was fine, one of the previews was for We Made a Sex Tape or whatever the hell that film is called with Cameron Diaz and some tool. The whole preview is about this married couple struggling to spice up their sex life, so they film themselves having a 3 hour marathon on their living room floor...which of course, gets accidentally emailed to all their friends and co-workers. Whoever thought this was a good idea for an effing PG-13 movie should be shot. It was clear adult material. Spicing up a married couple's sex life? PG-13? Really?

That was over the top and I was mentally squirming during it. So be warned.

Thx
Anything you miss won't detract from the enjoyment of the main plot. Also, I was worried my 7 year old wouldn't get all the time-traveling stuff, but he was fine. Admittedly, this might be because he watches enormous amounts of Dr. Who with this mother. A couple words of explanation should do the trick, Tim.
Thx

Quicksilver is played by Evan Peters. He got the role after Singer saw him in the three seasons of American Horror Story. I'm interested in seeing how quicksilver is going to be handled in next year's Avengers movie since he going to be played by a different actor in Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

Pics of Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch
Peters was so awesome in that role. I had no idea who he was, but he stole every scene he was in.

Had extremely low expectations for this one and was planning on avoiding it altogether. Kinda surprised by the good reviews...
Why? First Class was awesome, and they basically just threw that movie together from what I remember reading. This one was bound to be even better.

X-Men: Apocalypse is going to be set in the early 80's with the Fassbender/McAvoy cast. Also Channing Tatum has been aready cast as Gambit and after Quicksilver stole the show, producers are aiming for a bigger role for him in the next movie.
Is this stuff confirmed? It sounds awesome, if it's all true. Exactly what I wanted. Although Tatum...I haven't seen any of his newer stuff, can he act now?

Why? First Class was awesome, and they basically just threw that movie together from what I remember reading. This one was bound to be even better.
Not sure why Vaughn didn't stay with the franchise after First Class, but I lost faith in this sequel when they brought Singer on as director.

Users who are viewing this thread