What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CPAP machines (1 Viewer)

Have you ever used a CPAP machine?

• Yes

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 234 65.7%

• Total voters
i have a  DreamWear full face and love it.  The hose of the head has made it 1000x bettter
I have the Amara View full face mask which has a very similar cushion style.  The hose in front doesn't bother me, but I find myself wrestling with the cushion a lot.  Some nights I love.  Other nights I seem to continually fight leakage.  Sometimes the silicone gets out of position and blocks one of my nostrils which is annoying.  Also, my mouth seems wider than the cushion part...still seals around my mouth OK, but still an odd feeling where it overlaps the corners of my mouth.  I feel I need to pucker my lips a little to fit inside properly.  I keep flipping back and forth between the Amara and the AirFit F20.  I seem to get a much better/consistent seal with the AirFit, but I hate the markings it leaves on my nose/face. The headgear for the AirFit also does some funky things to my hair.   I tried the AirTouch F20...it was awful...could hardly get any seal.  I am sure my goatee plays a a big part in this.  I am considering going back to my old Quattro FX which is similar to the AirFit, but the markings weren't as bad and the headgear doesn't mess my hair as bad.  I feel like Goldilocks trying to find "just right"

Like i've said try this mask out.  So comfortable.

Was a mouth breather.  But u kind of have to train yourself.  With the humidifier it is a lot easier.  When I dont have mask and breath through mouth I feel so dry and awful.

You will learn to keep mouth shut and whole area will feel better in morning.

The cpap has helped but it wasnt some cure all that made me feel brand new.  But when I dont use it I feel terrible.  

Are you sure you are using the right size?
Oh yeah.  I have a medium Amara View (the under nose one)...I tried the large, but way too big around the nose.  Couldn't get any seal whatsoever.  The width of the large mask around the mouth is the same as the medium.  Only the nose depth is is different.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Was a mouth breather.  But u kind of have to train yourself.  With the humidifier it is a lot easier.  When I dont have mask and breath through mouth I feel so dry and awful.

The cpap has helped but it wasnt some cure all that made me feel brand new.  But when I dont use it I feel terrible.  
Interesting.  I have primarily been a mouth breather.  With the Amara View mask, I seem to be able to fall asleep breathing through the nose. I sleep well and feel better when I breathe through the nose, but my nasal passages seem to get congested during the night frequently and I revert back to mouth breathing.  As such, I have been apprehensive about trying the nose only styles.  

I fall asleep with just nose but I 100% open my mouth when sleeping at night. It would wake me up worse than not wearing a mask. I had to switch

Bobcat10 said:
Anyone have a mask that does a 180 from the nose, to right above the ear, to the far back of head?  Avoiding the top of the head and top/back of the head where most guys bald?

Also waiting for somebody to take this jump --- https://www.inspiresleep.com/what-is-inspire-therapy/how-inspire-therapy-works/
I know an ex army guy who has this.  It works, but he has to be careful with kids and other activities.  The device in your chest sticks out a bit (like a pacemaker) and you will have wires under your skin going from your lungs (sensor) to the device/battery in your upper chest, and then to your tongue.  

How do you train yourself?  I tried a similar mask but i would regularly wake up gasping for air.

That's what I use, love it. 

The VA in its infinite wisdom has given me a second machine now. What do I do with the first? The first was paid for through insurance, before retirement, and the VA is now covering everything but the lady I talked with said I had to take theirs (makes sense to ensure I have the same one as I get new parts every 6 months but it is the exact same thing).  

I've been using it a couple years now, I can just put it on most days and fall asleep almost immediately. 

That's what I use, love it. 

The VA in its infinite wisdom has given me a second machine now. What do I do with the first? The first was paid for through insurance, before retirement, and the VA is now covering everything but the lady I talked with said I had to take theirs (makes sense to ensure I have the same one as I get new parts every 6 months but it is the exact same thing).  

I've been using it a couple years now, I can just put it on most days and fall asleep almost immediately. 
Just keep the first as a backup

Anyone have a mask that does a 180 from the nose, to right above the ear, to the far back of head?  Avoiding the top of the head and top/back of the head where most guys bald?

Also waiting for somebody to take this jump --- https://www.inspiresleep.com/what-is-inspire-therapy/how-inspire-therapy-works/
I've worked with a doc who performs this surgery. The results are consistently outstanding, but for right now it's a fairly narrow patient population that qualifies as a candidate.

Have been using a CPAP for about 2 years now...I had severe SA.....haven't read this thread, but will chime in with a few things....

I used the full over the nose and mouth mask for awhile and it was terrible.....ended up going "out of compliance" with my 4 hours a night that I had to wear it for insurance purposes and had my CPAP taken away from me (not paid for by insurance anymore).....

went back to my doctor and asked to be referred again and was able to get that approved again....switched to the mask that is linked above and it was a game changer for me....I really like it....won't say I love it, but really like it....

if you are a heavy mouth breather I still suggest trying this mask....I was a terrible "mouth only" breather....what I found is you can train yourself to kind of breathe through your nose....believe me, I didn't think it was possible but it is....try going to bed like an hour earlier than normal and watch TV or whatever and just wear it....you will kind of automatically start closing your mouth to make things work and it kind of becomes natural, and then you start just going to sleep...

I also like using cold temperatures but I like to sleep cold overall....I also suggest longer "ramp up" times

I think many of us were mouth breathers because that was the only way to breath.

I'm sure training yourself is easier for some then others.  I would prop a pillow between my chin and chest to help keep mouth closed.  Of course when you move around the pillow will dislodge but when I noticed it I would put it back.  Wasnt perfect but helped body adjust to nose breathing.

They have chip straps that will keep mouth closed.  It works but was uncomfortable and I was a bit paranoid that it was dangerous.

Putting the mask on 30 minutes before bed is how I got started too.  You can focus on keeping mouth shut.  Get body into the rhythm and will also open up nasal passages before you fall asleep helping to keep mouth shut.

I've got an appointment next week to discuss this inspire thing.  Can't stand the mask anymore so I don't use it.  I'm willing to try anything else at this point.

I've got an appointment next week to discuss this inspire thing.  Can't stand the mask anymore so I don't use it.  I'm willing to try anything else at this point.
Think I made an inquiry to this and it was like $24K...and not covered by insurance and I have pretty good/excellent insurance...

Think I made an inquiry to this and it was like $24K...and not covered by insurance and I have pretty good/excellent insurance...
Well that would suck.  I'm certainly not gonna pay that much.  I found this on the website:

Inspire therapy is being reviewed and approved by insurance providers on a case by case basis. The Insurance Team at Inspire Medical Systems, your Inspire trained doctor and you will work as a team to gain insurance approval. 75% of people who submit for insurance approval get it and the procedure is not scheduled until its been approved. 

If any one is tired with cleaning the water reservoir.  I just hooked up a bacteria filter at the base and use a HME close to the mask S/u and works good for me.  No more cleaning everyday.

I think many of us were mouth breathers because that was the only way to breath.

I'm sure training yourself is easier for some then others.  I would prop a pillow between my chin and chest to help keep mouth closed.  Of course when you move around the pillow will dislodge but when I noticed it I would put it back.  Wasnt perfect but helped body adjust to nose breathing.

They have chip straps that will keep mouth closed.  It works but was uncomfortable and I was a bit paranoid that it was dangerous.
yeah i dont mind the full face i have now since its nasal pillow and a mouth piece. I biggest issue was the hose placement.   I didnt want any strap either.  So when my mouth does open in the middle of the night I still stay sleeping

Can you elaborate?
Unfortunately I don't quite remember the specifics as I've been out of there for a while now. But you needed to be within a certain weight range, age, I think you needed to be over a certain AHI, and you needed to exhaust all other methods of therapy before you turned to Inspire. I'm not sure if these are universal standards, but those were ours at the least.

If any one is tired with cleaning the water reservoir.  I just hooked up a bacteria filter at the base and use a HME close to the mask S/u and works good for me.  No more cleaning everyday.
I know I'm totally doing this wrong, but I rinse mine out with hot water and wipe it down....at most once a week.  

I know I'm totally doing this wrong, but I rinse mine out with hot water and wipe it down....at most once a week.  
Yeah I'm lazy never did everyday.  But with this I change it every 6 month or more for the bacteria filter, and I know I supposed to change the HME more but I've gone well over a year before I changed it.😁

Just did my sleep study last night. The nurse put a cpap on me half-way through. 

When it first started with low pressure, I thought...  this is no big deal, I can handle this. After awhile the pressure amped up. 

O my God I've never been water-boarded before, but I imagine the feeling is similar. Hope I can get used to this.

I use nasal pillows, and for my nose size, I should be using the Mediums, but, damn if I don't feel like I'm suffocating within seconds of putting them on. I have to use an oversized Large just to feel like I'm getting enough air. 
You could just increase the pressure on your machine. Google and/or YouTube will hook you up.

Yeah I'm lazy never did everyday.  But with this I change it every 6 month or more for the bacteria filter, and I know I supposed to change the HME more but I've gone well over a year before I changed it.😁
I used to clean it every day. Then a few times a week or month. Now I never do ....

Summary of my snoring situation:

1. My sleep test showed minor apnea, but my snoring was waking the wife up.

2. I used the CPAP for a while and got comfortable with it, then couldn’t stand it.

3. When I lose weight, stay below 205, I don’t snore. Over 210 I do. I’m 212 now, so I snore.

4. I have found if I prop myself way up with pillows, I don’t snore. I use three pretty thick pillows at night and don’t snore. It’s way better than using the CPAP.

5. I also always use a Breathe Right nose strip. Those really help.

Yeah I use to get legionelle from not changing the water.  That is why I switched.
Well i also stopped using my water tank too. I needed a new cpap 5 years ago, but insurance made me do another sleep study. The doctor let me do an at home one, and it showed I did not have apnea two different times. Which is just not the case. I have had two kids since then and haven’t made the time to go in for an overnight study. So stuck with my same dinosaur from 2007. 

Well i also stopped using my water tank too. I needed a new cpap 5 years ago, but insurance made me do another sleep study. The doctor let me do an at home one, and it showed I did not have apnea two different times. Which is just not the case. I have had two kids since then and haven’t made the time to go in for an overnight study. So stuck with my same dinosaur from 2007. 
Sometimes home  care companies will swap out old machine for a new and you don't need a Dr. Order for.  At least I've done that in the past wouldn't hurt to try.

Sometimes home  care companies will swap out old machine for a new and you don't need a Dr. Order for.  At least I've done that in the past wouldn't hurt to try.
They would not do this for me.  They required a “new” prescription.  This required a new sleep study for me.  Second sleep study was worse than the first.  Awful experience.

I was so tired after my in office sleep study that I went to McDonald's on the way home to grab some breakfast at the drive thru and I paid at the first window and then proceeded to drive home without stopping at the second window to get my food. Didn't realize until I got home and had to drive back to get it. 😴

Looks like I am entering the cpap world soon. My wife has been telling me for a few years that I’ve got serious sleep issues. Been feeling awful lately and woke up gasping for air the other day. Took a sleep test at home last week. I averaged 54 times an hour that i demonstrated apnea (slowed breathing or stop breathing). Normal is considered 5 times an hour and anything over 30 is considered severe.

Other than getting used to the machine, I am looking forward to feeling good and rested when I wake up. 

Anything I should know or lookout for when I go talk to my dr? 

kutta said:
Summary of my snoring situation:

1. My sleep test showed minor apnea, but my snoring was waking the wife up.

2. I used the CPAP for a while and got comfortable with it, then couldn’t stand it.

3. When I lose weight, stay below 205, I don’t snore. Over 210 I do. I’m 212 now, so I snore.

4. I have found if I prop myself way up with pillows, I don’t snore. I use three pretty thick pillows at night and don’t snore. It’s way better than using the CPAP.

5. I also always use a Breathe Right nose strip. Those really help.
Snoring and apnea are not the same thing.  

Just ordered this:

Bluetooth Sleeping Eye Mask | Sleep Headphones, Joseche Wireless Bluetooth Headphones Music Travel Sleeping Headset 4.2 Bluetooth Handsfree Sleep Eye Shades Built-in Speakers Microphone Washable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F59HQRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dpMpDbA1YRZ82

Hoping I can wear it with the cpap mask. Something to help me drift off and focus on instead of cpap. Maybe throw the news on for 30 minutes or something. Cheap enough to try.

Bonus: I just checked and SiriusXM app has a sleep timer. Can't wait to try it.

Looks like I am entering the cpap world soon. My wife has been telling me for a few years that I’ve got serious sleep issues. Been feeling awful lately and woke up gasping for air the other day. Took a sleep test at home last week. I averaged 54 times an hour that i demonstrated apnea (slowed breathing or stop breathing). Normal is considered 5 times an hour and anything over 30 is considered severe.

Other than getting used to the machine, I am looking forward to feeling good and rested when I wake up. 

Anything I should know or lookout for when I go talk to my dr? 
Once your committed, can't say there's anything special to talk about with the doc regarding the cpap.
However, you would want to be clear on your financial options with the insurance company and equipment supplier. With my 1st cpap it was an outright single purchase. For my 2nd it was done over 10 payments (equip supplier policy IIRC). This meant that, with my particular ins plan, once the new plan year started my deductible reset and the remaining monthly payments came out of my pocket.

Once your committed, can't say there's anything special to talk about with the doc regarding the cpap.
However, you would want to be clear on your financial options with the insurance company and equipment supplier. With my 1st cpap it was an outright single purchase. For my 2nd it was done over 10 payments (equip supplier policy IIRC). This meant that, with my particular ins plan, once the new plan year started my deductible reset and the remaining monthly payments came out of my pocket.
I’m lucky that my insurance covers 100% DME products, nothing out of pocket. I also work for a post acute provider so I got set up with my machine right at work.

Just ordered this:

Bluetooth Sleeping Eye Mask | Sleep Headphones, Joseche Wireless Bluetooth Headphones Music Travel Sleeping Headset 4.2 Bluetooth Handsfree Sleep Eye Shades Built-in Speakers Microphone Washable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F59HQRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dpMpDbA1YRZ82

Hoping I can wear it with the cpap mask. Something to help me drift off and focus on instead of cpap. Maybe throw the news on for 30 minutes or something. Cheap enough to try.

pre-pap I would fall asleep watching TV. Post-pap, I cant b/c I cant just lie there with it one and non focus on it, plus with my ramp up, it would be in in full blast mode before I would be asleep, making me focus on it more. 

I ordered a cheap pair of earbuds and put them in while listening to so boring story on the Calm app to put me to sleep. 

That mask looks pretty big, you may have issues with the c-pap mask straps while wearing it. But if it works let us know, seems a better option then my earbuds.

Snoring and apnea are not the same thing.  
I know. But generally:

Snoring doesn’t always mean SA.

SA almost always comes with snoring.

If you have SA and are able to stop your snoring, you most likely won’t be having SA episodes throughout the night.

pre-pap I would fall asleep watching TV. Post-pap, I cant b/c I cant just lie there with it one and non focus on it, plus with my ramp up, it would be in in full blast mode before I would be asleep, making me focus on it more. 

I ordered a cheap pair of earbuds and put them in while listening to so boring story on the Calm app to put me to sleep. 

That mask looks pretty big, you may have issues with the c-pap mask straps while wearing it. But if it works let us know, seems a better option then my earbuds.
Yeah I don't think it's going to fit after looking closer at my mask last night but we'll see.

I know. But generally:

Snoring doesn’t always mean SA.

SA almost always comes with snoring.

If you have SA and are able to stop your snoring, you most likely won’t be having SA episodes throughout the night.
I don't snore shrug

Just ordered this:

This is fantastic.  I use a mask when traveling.

This could be awesome. Awaiting review

Users who are viewing this thread