What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CPAP machines (1 Viewer)

Have you ever used a CPAP machine?

• Yes

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 234 65.7%

• Total voters
I wipe down my nasal pillow every other night, usually when I refill the humidifier, with one of those disinfectant wipes.

Parts I swap out whenever new ones arrive. I think I get a new nasal pillow every 6 months and the elastic strap every 9? Hose every 3. Humidifier every six. Basically whenever the box shows up, that weekend I'll plug the new stuff in.

But every box has like six filters thrown in, so, I have a backlog of supply. I could change them every week or two and never run out.
I don't have any sort of automatic delivery system.  I need to order my parts when needed. 

Got 6.5 hours last night. Don't recall waking up once.   Just need 1 more hour and it'll be perfect :)
That's pretty good. Got any success tips you can share?

I think my max is 4 hours. Every morning I wake up and my mask is on the floor. My app tells me I usually do a little more than two hours before quitting. No idea how to get better at this. 

I think my max is 4 hours. Every morning I wake up and my mask is on the floor. My app tells me I usually do a little more than two hours before quitting. No idea how to get better at this. 
Sorry I was referring to my new dental device.  I had horrible time with cpap

This is me. The most I have ever had it on is 5+ hours. Typically it’s 2-3 hours a night. I usually do not remember taking the mask off or turning my machine off. I do feel more rested though and my wife says I do not snore as bad even after I take the mask off.

Well, son of a b****!  I just discovered that there has been a recall on my CPAP from Philips.  Dreamstation is the model I use, but several models are affected.  Apparently this recall was issued back in June, and I am just finding out about it through a chance encounter.  No notification whatsoever, and reading through the Philips "plan", it doesn't seem like replacement or repair is anywhere near.   :hot:   If you use a Philips product, you may want to check into it.  

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/e/sleep/communications/src-update#cpap_devices

From the recall letter posted on the website...

Dear Device Customer,

Philips Respironics is voluntarily recalling the below devices due to two (2) issues related to the polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam used in Philips Continuous and NonContinuous Ventilators: 1) PE-PUR foam may degrade into particles which may enter the device’s the air pathway and be ingested or inhaled by the user, and 2) the PE-PUR foam may off-gas certain chemicals. The foam degradation may be exacerbated by use of unapproved cleaning methods, such as ozone (see FDA safety communication on use of Ozone cleaners), and off-gassing may occur during initial operation and may possibly continue throughout the device’s useful life.

These issues can result in serious injury which can be life-threatening, cause permanent impairment, and/or require medical intervention to preclude permanent impairment. To date, Philips Respironics has received several complaints regarding the presence of black debris/particles within the airpath circuit (extending from the device outlet, humidifier, tubing, and mask). Philips also has received reports of headache, upper airway irritation, cough, chest pressure and sinus infection. The potential risks of particulate exposure include: Irritation (skin, eye, and respiratory tract), inflammatory response, headache, asthma, adverse effects to other organs (e.g. kidneys and liver) and toxic carcinogenic affects. The potential risks of chemical exposure due to off-gassing include: headache/dizziness, irritation (eyes, nose, respiratory tract, skin), hypersensitivity, nausea/vomiting, toxic and carcinogenic effects. There have been no reports of death as a result of these issues.

Well, son of a b****!  I just discovered that there has been a recall on my CPAP from Philips.  Dreamstation is the model I use, but several models are affected.  Apparently this recall was issued back in June, and I am just finding out about it through a chance encounter.  No notification whatsoever, and reading through the Philips "plan", it doesn't seem like replacement or repair is anywhere near.   :hot:   If you use a Philips product, you may want to check into it.  

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/e/sleep/communications/src-update#cpap_devices

From the recall letter posted on the website...

Did you enter the serial number on the website?  Mine was not recalled - hopefully yours wasn't either.

I must be an idiot because I can't find a serial number check on the site.  Link?  Looks like my model was recalled but I can't tell for sure.  
"All Affected Devices Manufactured Before 26 April 2021, All Device Serial Numbers"

Well, I guess that is fairly definitive.  F me.  

Register your device here.  That's where you enter your Serial Number. 

Good luck snorers.  

Thank you for registering. For future reference, please save the following information so that we may be able to service you more effectively:

Your confirmation code is: xxxx

What to expect next:

We regret that it may take some time to replace affected devices. The repair process requires regulatory agency approval, which we are working toward obtaining as quickly as possible.  We will begin the repair/replacement process immediately upon that approval. We understand the impact of this issue and we sincerely apologize for this disruption. It is our absolute number one priority to replace affected devices as quickly as possible.

For additional questions:

For more information and updates, please visit Philips.com/src-update where we will be updating answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) as more information becomes available or call 1-877-907-7508 in the US and US territories or (0044) 20 8089 3822 outside the US. 

Thank you.

:wall:

A few weeks in and the mouth guard is working like a dream. Can't believe it
How’s this still working for you?

I’m wondering if this is what I need.  I’ve self (well wife too) diagnosed myself with obstructive sleep apnea.  Not much of a snorer my entire life, hit my 40’s and now I’m waking up the neighbors it’s so bad.  Wife says I do the classic choking thing and I’m dog tired all the time.  Not overweight (6ft and 190ish) and now that I’m paying attention I can notice that when its happening (which is every night now) my tongue is relaxing back and blocking the air way.  I’ve started proping myself up and that seems to help.  Just before logging in here I ordered a wedge pillow from Amazon that supposed to help.  But reading this I wonder if this is the ticket.   

A quick question though, I have a super sensitive gag reflex.  I grind my teeth at night and previously tried one of the over the counter hot water molded mouth guards.  I tried and tried to wear it but would gag so bad I couldn’t do it.  How big is this one you’ve got?

Last edited by a moderator:

I’m wondering if this is what I need.  I’ve self (well wife too) diagnosed myself with obstructive sleep apnea.  Not much of a snorer my entire life, hit my 40’s and now I’m waking up the neighbors it’s so bad.  Wife says I do the classic choking thing and I’m dog tired all the time.  Not overweight (6ft and 190ish) and now that I’m paying attention I can notice that when its happening (which is every night now) my tongue is relaxing back and blocking the air way.  I’ve started proping myself up and that seems to help.  Just before logging in here I ordered a wedge pillow from Amazon that supposed to help.  But reading this I wonder if this is the ticket.   

A quick question though, I have a super sensitive gag reflex.  I grind my teeth at night and previously tried one of the over the counter hot water molded mouth guards.  I tried and tried to wear it but would gag so bad I couldn’t do it.  How big is this one you’ve got?
I used to think it was only weight-related, but I'm 5'9 180 and have always stayed in good shape. Didn't consider getting checked until I thought what do I have to lose. Ended up having it.   My first sleep doctor didn't even tell me about the insert option. I randomly heard a commercial on the radio about one here in Nashville and gave them a call. 

It's a small insert that clips around my teeth and pulls my lower jaw forward. It's still working pretty good. Nothing beats being able to wear a cpap all night and get that kind of airflow, but I could never find one that one bloat my stomach with air. In the few instances I could keep it on all night and not get bloated, I felt like a million bucks, but those nights were few and far between. Mouth guard is still a good alternative. Just not quite at the level of a good cpap. 

dkp993 said:

Why not go to a doctor and get a sleep study done? You can even do the sleep study from home now. They can tell you what you need.

ETA: And weight is not relevant in a lot of cases. I weigh 155 and use a CPAP every night.

Why not go to a doctor and get a sleep study done? You can even do the sleep study from home now. They can tell you what you need.

ETA: And weight is not relevant in a lot of cases. I weigh 155 and use a CPAP every night.
Fair question. Just didn’t want to take the time honestly.  Figure if I can solve the issues myself it wasn’t necessary.  

Got an email update from Philips regarding my recalled CPAP...

Currently, we are processing the device serial number registrations that have been received and are actively working with global competent authorities on the remediation process. Our organization is working diligently to replace or repair devices as soon as possible. Based on current estimates of impacted devices worldwide, we are working towards completing this effort within approximately 12 months. 
FML

Brand new Dreamstation 2 just got delivered out of the blue.  Gonna fire this bad boy up tonight.  I have not been a fan of the ResMed that my doc set me up with.

Anybody try this? Just did a home sleep study and supposedly have mild apnea, but doc thinks it's actually moderate (something about home study doesn't include brainwaves so imperfect reading).  Good news is heart rate was fine.  Oxygen got down to 83.  Weighed the options he outlined.  CPAP machines or surgery are last resorts for me.  I don't want the mask, don't want to travel with hit, etc. Dental guards he said were 1-3K and not covered by insurance.  

I'm leaning on trying the Bongo.  $199 and then you have to replenish the kit.  Said if you are mild to moderate it works great.  For the 20% who either need less or more air flow, or are mouth breathers, it doesn't work.  Leaning towards giving it a try.

Bongo Rx - EPAP

Anybody try this? Just did a home sleep study and supposedly have mild apnea, but doc thinks it's actually moderate (something about home study doesn't include brainwaves so imperfect reading).  Good news is heart rate was fine.  Oxygen got down to 83.  Weighed the options he outlined.  CPAP machines or surgery are last resorts for me.  I don't want the mask, don't want to travel with hit, etc. Dental guards he said were 1-3K and not covered by insurance.  

I'm leaning on trying the Bongo.  $199 and then you have to replenish the kit.  Said if you are mild to moderate it works great.  For the 20% who either need less or more air flow, or are mouth breathers, it doesn't work.  Leaning towards giving it a try.

Bongo Rx - EPAP
I have a 1500 dental guard and it's been worth every penny

Maybe I’m jaded with dental solutions because me and the Mrs dropped a lot of coin on Invisalign and that turned out less than great.  Anyway - heard the mouth guards worked well for mouth breathers. 

I bought the bongoRx. Worth a try. Will report back. 

Maybe I’m jaded with dental solutions because me and the Mrs dropped a lot of coin on Invisalign and that turned out less than great.  Anyway - heard the mouth guards worked well for mouth breathers. 

I bought the bongoRx. Worth a try. Will report back. 
Who you calling a mouth breather!@!#;##.  :)

Bongo Rx - EPAP
Do you know if you have central apnea, obstructive apnea, or both types of events. Otherwise, I don't see how the doc could say if a dental appliance would be appropriate. 

I finally took a sleep test and as expected, I need a CPAP machine. I have had it 3 nights and so far the transition hasn’t been too bad. I wore it 8 hours last night and slept pretty decent.

The only problem I had was Saturday night when the humidity was too high and ended up with water in the hose.

I finally took a sleep test and as expected, I need a CPAP machine. I have had it 3 nights and so far the transition hasn’t been too bad. I wore it 8 hours last night and slept pretty decent.

The only problem I had was Saturday night when the humidity was too high and ended up with water in the hose.
I don't know your machine, but I have used the highest humidity settings on mine without this issue. Are you sure you didn't just over fill the water chamber a bit? I have only experienced water in the tube when I have done that and some liquid water sneaks in. It doesn't take much.

My CPAP machine is roughly 100 years old and predates having to add water. I've had zero issues with it and have no desire to update it.
Do all machines default to water add? Do you have the option to forego this "feature"?

My CPAP machine is roughly 100 years old and predates having to add water. I've had zero issues with it and have no desire to update it.
Do all machines default to water add? Do you have the option to forego this "feature"?
There are still models that don't have a humidifier. Alternatively, you could just shut off the humidifier and not put water in it.

I don't know your machine, but I have used the highest humidity settings on mine without this issue. Are you sure you didn't just over fill the water chamber a bit? I have only experienced water in the tube when I have done that and some liquid water sneaks in. It doesn't take much.
Thanks for the suggestion. It is very possible that I over-filled, but I don't think so. A quick google search says "rainout" is common and usually has to do with humidity set too high or hose temp too low. I reduced the humidity a few points and did not have the issue again last night. My throat was not too dry so I think I am ok.

Yeah my guess is combo of humidity too high / ambient temp too low. have had it happen occasionally but usually if I went camping and outside temps dropped

Thanks for the suggestion. It is very possible that I over-filled, but I don't think so. A quick google search says "rainout" is common and usually has to do with humidity set too high or hose temp too low. I reduced the humidity a few points and did not have the issue again last night. My throat was not too dry so I think I am ok.

Condensation is an issue in the colder months. The hoses in the newer machines have a heating element built in - a thin powered cable that wraps around the hose. If your hose doesn't have that, you can buy a wrap on Amazon - a sleeve you feed the hose through to insulate it a bit.

Any suggestions on newer more compact cpaps? I need one that is a little better for travel. I have had mine since 2008 …..
I have been using the ResMed AirSense 10 for about 5 years and love it, but don't have anything to compare it to since it's the only one I have used. Comes with a case for traveling, and definitely quiet...my wife isn't aware that I am using it most nights.

Any suggestions on newer more compact cpaps? I need one that is a little better for travel. I have had mine since 2008 …..
I have been using the ResMed AirSense 10 for about 5 years and love it, but don't have anything to compare it to since it's the only one I have used. Comes with a case for traveling, and definitely quiet...my wife isn't aware that I am using it most nights.
I use the same. One word of caution I found the hard way... I've used mine for about 5 years as well and never replaced the tank. It started to leak without my knowing and ruined the night stand it was on. If you haven't done so, I'd recommend proactively replacing it.

So I recently joined the world of CPAP users. I do feel like it helps on some nights and I get a deeper sleep, I feel less sleepy at work most days. But on some nights I don't sleep as long and still don't feel completely rested. The discomfort of the mask or my mind concentrating on breathing. Overall its been an improvement I think but can it be better?

I also see a lot of commercials for other options. Wondering if I should look into some that don't need a mask.

"Inspire" I think is one but seems to be an implant? Anyone know about it or have it?
I also see neck aligners and mouth guard type items. Anyone use or know about these?

So I recently joined the world of CPAP users. I do feel like it helps on some nights and I get a deeper sleep, I feel less sleepy at work most days. But on some nights I don't sleep as long and still don't feel completely rested. The discomfort of the mask or my mind concentrating on breathing. Overall its been an improvement I think but can it be better?

I also see a lot of commercials for other options. Wondering if I should look into some that don't need a mask.

"Inspire" I think is one but seems to be an implant? Anyone know about it or have it?
I also see neck aligners and mouth guard type items. Anyone use or know about these?
I have a mouth thing that was molded from a certified sleep dentist person. It is my understanding though that is only for people with mild - to low medium apnea cases.

I have a mouth thing that was molded from a certified sleep dentist person. It is my understanding though that is only for people with mild - to low medium apnea cases.
Thanks. I am in that category. Mild I think. Is that all you have used? How does it compare and how do you feel before vs after?

Thanks. I am in that category. Mild I think. Is that all you have used? How does it compare and how do you feel before vs after?
So its been awhile - but normal is something like 0-5 "episodes" an hour and I am like 8-9.

When I first got it was 1000 times better than a CPAP - i stomach and side sleep - and CPAP just hated it.

I definitely notice a difference however I don't wear it every night. For a couple reasons - 1) i forget to clean it and won't put it in without cleaning it so I'm lazy. 2) I never got used to it so its a tadful painful sore in the morning. I have a bite guard i use every morning after I use it to "rest my jaw line" - just wear it while showering.

Its gets a little annoying if you are stuff up and or have a bit of a gag reflex that sometimes makes it feel like you can't clear your throat.

All that being said - I'm very glad to have it. The other issue I have is I fought my insurance for 3 years because they kept telling me the dentist was out of network when its supposed to billed to your medical insurance. My dentist was awesome with everything including the claim and all but ultimately they fn denied it and I ate the 1500 bucks.

I got it 2020 i think

Got 6.5 hours last night. Don't recall waking up once. Just need 1 more hour and it'll be perfect :)

Sorry I was referring to my new dental device. I had horrible time with cpap

Still going good?
Pretty good. Way better than the CPAP. I still have a couple issues but way better :)

Anybody try this? Just did a home sleep study and supposedly have mild apnea, but doc thinks it's actually moderate (something about home study doesn't include brainwaves so imperfect reading). Good news is heart rate was fine. Oxygen got down to 83. Weighed the options he outlined. CPAP machines or surgery are last resorts for me. I don't want the mask, don't want to travel with hit, etc. Dental guards he said were 1-3K and not covered by insurance.

I'm leaning on trying the Bongo. $199 and then you have to replenish the kit. Said if you are mild to moderate it works great. For the 20% who either need less or more air flow, or are mouth breathers, it doesn't work. Leaning towards giving it a try.

Bongo Rx - EPAP
:)

Just crossed the 3 month threshold with my CPAP - it took me that long just to get used to it and be able to sleep through the night. I'd wake up with the mask on the floor, I'd wake up with it blowing in my eyes, and everything in between but just kept using it as intended and last week I woke up for the very first morning and realized I'd had no disturbances and no apnea events during the night.

Also, I love this thing when I have a cold. I thought I'd hate it if I was congested, but the air pressure on mine is 8 psi I think, and it pushes enough air that I don't notice being congested. I found that I preferred to wear it even when I wasn't sleeping when I was sick in bed with a cold because it helped me breathe so much easier. I'd just lounge in bed watching tv with it on...

So its been awhile - but normal is something like 0-5 "episodes" an hour and I am like 8-9.

When I first got it was 1000 times better than a CPAP - i stomach and side sleep - and CPAP just hated it.

I definitely notice a difference however I don't wear it every night. For a couple reasons - 1) i forget to clean it and won't put it in without cleaning it so I'm lazy. 2) I never got used to it so its a tadful painful sore in the morning. I have a bite guard i use every morning after I use it to "rest my jaw line" - just wear it while showering.

Its gets a little annoying if you are stuff up and or have a bit of a gag reflex that sometimes makes it feel like you can't clear your throat.

All that being said - I'm very glad to have it. The other issue I have is I fought my insurance for 3 years because they kept telling me the dentist was out of network when its supposed to billed to your medical insurance. My dentist was awesome with everything including the claim and all but ultimately they fn denied it and I ate the 1500 bucks.

I got it 2020 i think
I am a stomach and side sleeper as well. Haven't had an issue with the mask coming off completely or anything so that's a plus. Just some nights the whole setup keeps me up so its no better than the apnea keeping me up lol

I got it 2020 i think
I am a stomach and side sleeper as well. Haven't had an issue with the mask coming off completely or anything so that's a plus. Just some nights the whole setup keeps me up so its no better than the apnea keeping me up lol
if you have the hose that connects to the top of your head it is awesome - once i got a lung infection and could never get rid of it with the cpap (it felt like)

I got it 2020 i think
if you have the hose that connects to the top of your head it is awesome - once i got a lung infection and could never get rid of it with the cpap (it felt like)
I have the "nose pillow", not a full mask or even covering my nose, its basically a tube to my nostrils. :lmao:

Seriously love the nose pillows. A little silicone thing under my nose, just did my annual stats review with my doctor and he was amazed I had zero air leak in the last 90 days, I've got it dialed in nice and snug but I don't even feel it when I'm in bed.

I have and old ResMed CPAP that does NOT sync with the cloud, apparently this model used to but didn't upgrade to 5G so it doesn't have a connection anymore. So I have to bring in my data on an SD card. Anyway, for those curious, there are some windows apps that you can download and review your own data for free. I've used SleepyHead, it was useful when I first started CPAP so I could get a handle on my stats. But now I'm fully on auto-pilot. I just do my thing and it works great. Girlfriend can't stand to be in the house with me if I fall asleep on the couch and snore up a storm, but, has no problem being in bed next to me for 8 hours at night when I have the mask on. Went from 60 events an hour to 1-2. Sleeping 8 hours straight through without the slightest issue. CPAPs are great.

Users who are viewing this thread