What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CPAP machines (1 Viewer)

Have you ever used a CPAP machine?

• Yes

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 234 65.7%

• Total voters
Short Corner said:
I don't know anyone who uses one that isn't overweight.
And, since you know everyone who is on one, that ends that debate.
Considering that plus it is widely known that obesity leads to sleep apnea means there is likely a lot of fat asses in here.
You should have gone to a school that offered Critical Thinking.
170 here. Sleep apnea sucks. The nose pillow is starting to irritate the inside of my nose. Is there another option besides the big mask. That irritates the side of my face

Lost weight and I snore less. Also sleep pretty soundly most of the time, and if I really need a good night's sleep I pop a Lunesta and I'm out for some deep Z's. I travel a lot, and I wouldn't want to check that thing through security every time. Also, thinking I might get the airways in my nasal passages opened up - daughter did it and she said it's amazing how much air flow she gets now. If I can breathe through my nose most of the time my mouth stays closed - no issues. I have allergies, and when I get stuffy that's when I'm at risk to snore a lot. Bottom line - I'm motivated to stay in shape just so I hopefully don't have to wear the damn thing
Similar here. Had pretty damn bad apnea. Never went for a study. Lost some el beez and am breathing / sleeping much better now. :thumbup:
So if weight is the issue, why do people like Percy Harvin and other athletes have it?

I know people love to blame weight for everything, but it's just not the case with Apnea.

:shrug:
For some people it is weight related, and being over-weight could also make a case worse than it otherwise would be. Also, a thick or muscular neck can have a similar effect on the airways while sleeping apparently. I'm certainly not svelte, but I am in pretty good shape. My Dr., trainers, etc all are surprised I have apnea because I'm not huge. The ENT guy said I have a bit of a swollen nasal passage, but nothing too bad and perhaps my neck is thick/muscular, but otherwise they don't have anything to really point to. I have my tonsils and all that jazz, but they aren't large either. :shrug:
Exactly

Just trying to save everyone who is looking at a sleep study, go bump your private life insurance BEFOREHAND. Throughout my career those diagnosed with sleep apnea either pay 3-5 times the normal premium or are outright declined. Life underwriters say its a big life expectancy issue.

That is all.

Short Corner said:
I don't know anyone who uses one that isn't overweight.
And, since you know everyone who is on one, that ends that debate.
Considering that plus it is widely known that obesity leads to sleep apnea means there is likely a lot of fat asses in here.
You should have gone to a school that offered Critical Thinking
170 here. Sleep apnea sucks. The nose pillow is starting to irritate the inside of my nose. Is there another option besides the big mask. That irritates the side of my face
Get the nose mask. It's much smaller than the full mask and it works amazingly well.

Finally went to a sleep study to confirm I had it. Of course, I do. Couldn't seem to adjust the pressure appropriately on the machine I had to be comfortable for an extended period of time. Going back in 2 weeks for cpap study. How many episodes did you guys have an hour? 22 here

Finally went to a sleep study to confirm I had it. Of course, I do. Couldn't seem to adjust the pressure appropriately on the machine I had to be comfortable for an extended period of time. Going back in 2 weeks for cpap study. How many episodes did you guys have an hour? 22 here
I don't remember the number of episodes but the doctor showed me a scale for the machine settings. It had 0-5 as 'normal' (no need for machine), 6-10 developing, 11-15 machine needed and 16-20 basically means you're not breathing for extended periods throughout the night. This is what they used to set the machine for me (air pressure).

I was a 6, tried the machine as a 'why not?' thing and couldn't get use to having a runny nose, pulling it off at night and general discomfort. After two weeks I said #### it and decided to lose some weight and stop drinking as much. No real snoring issues since; every once in a while I go out and tie one which makes sleeping bad (for my wife) but those are not as often anymore.

Also, what I thought was weak about the sleep study is they basically hook up the equipment so you HAVE to sleep on your back. I never sleep on my back, I don't find it comfortable. Sleeping on your back obviously makes your test numbers high.

Also, what I thought was weak about the sleep study is they basically hook up the equipment so you HAVE to sleep on your back. I never sleep on my back, I don't find it comfortable. Sleeping on your back obviously makes your test numbers high.
True. I slept on my side, though. I'm willing to do anything to sleep better.

I slept on my side for 70% of the night during the test, and had more events/hour on my side than back. Average was 25/hour so I get the machine. Last night was my first full night (see below). I've been doing yard work all day so I'm exhausted and can't judge the effects yet.

I also apparently breath weird. I inhale thru my nose, but exhale though my mouth. I tried just the nose portion, but after a week I still kept waking up numerous times in the night thinking I was about to suffocate. So I get the full mask, and only woke up twice last night (due to other things).

I can't breath worth crap through my nose. Had nasal surgery a few years ago that helped, but it didn't last.

flapgreen said:

:yawn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr.Pack said:
Miracle you're alive.
Yea. I am a severe case obviously. My machine is set at 17

Before the machine I had episodes where I woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air, feeling like someone was choking me out. My wife would wake up with me crawling on the floor gasping for air. Freaked us both out.

I would also fall asleep while driving and while talking to people.

the cpap was a God send, felt like a new man after wearing it the very first night

It hasn't completely cured me though, my wife says I still have episodes where I jerk during the night and she wakes me up to get me to breathe, but nowhere near as often as before.

Arizona Ron said:
Yea I slept 89 minutes or something with 82 events (or something like that). They said it was mild.

Mr.Pack said:
Miracle you're alive.
Yea. I am a severe case obviously. My machine is set at 17Before the machine I had episodes where I woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air, feeling like someone was choking me out. My wife would wake up with me crawling on the floor gasping for air. Freaked us both out.

I would also fall asleep while driving and while talking to people.

the cpap was a God send, felt like a new man after wearing it the very first night

It hasn't completely cured me though, my wife says I still have episodes where I jerk during the night and she wakes me up to get me to breathe, but nowhere near as often as before.
My machine is set at 16.

Mine is making me mad the last couple nights. Everytime I breathe out through my nose, a whistling sound is coming from the mask somewhere. I thought maybe the vents on the mask were getting clogged with condensation from the humidifier, so I turned the humidifier off last night to see if that would help. Wasn't as bad last night, but it was still there. No idea where it's coming from. This is a brand new mask and tubing. Seems like it's coming from where the tube meets the mask. Gonna inspect further later. Stupid thing...

Mine is making me mad the last couple nights. Everytime I breathe out through my nose, a whistling sound is coming from the mask somewhere. I thought maybe the vents on the mask were getting clogged with condensation from the humidifier, so I turned the humidifier off last night to see if that would help. Wasn't as bad last night, but it was still there. No idea where it's coming from. This is a brand new mask and tubing. Seems like it's coming from where the tube meets the mask. Gonna inspect further later. Stupid thing...
There is a little rubber grommet that covers a small part right where you are talking about. I've had it whistle too. It fell off of one of my masks, it's pretty small, look for it, it may hove come loose. You can take it out and clean it too.

Link

There is a little rubber grommet that covers a small part right where you are talking about. I've had it whistle too. It fell off of one of my masks, it's pretty small, look for it, it may hove come loose. You can take it out and clean it too.

Link
Mine just covers my nose. Would that have it too?

Link
Mine just covers my nose. Would that have it too?
Yep/ That's all mine covers too.

Mr.Pack said:
Miracle you're alive.
Yea. I am a severe case obviously. My machine is set at 17
Holy crap. My machine was set to 6 and it felt like a vacuum cleaner. I can't imagine what a 17 is like.

Glad it works for you though.
10 here and feels very similar to when my wife tries to smother me to death with a pillow.
You need to turn it on GB.

:

I have bad allergies and can't sleep thru & breathe through my nose. Average maybe 4-5 hours of sleep a night.

Went for a 2 part sleep study a couple weeks ago. Get there at 9PM, get wired up like a cyborg and told to OK, you can go to sleep now. I was like LJ. All the wires and someone watching weirded me out. But I slept pretty normal (crappy).Then the next day they took some of the wires off and then every 2 hours I was to try and take a 15 minute nap. Before each nap you lie on the bed and the tech comes on the loud speaker and does the Look left, look right, clench your teeth, etc. thing. I was thinking there was no way I'd sleep in the daytime like this, but I was oult like a light. Doc said it took me an average of 3.1 mins to fall asleep.

Next week comes the machine. For those already in the know, How loud is this contraption? I sleep on my side, will this effect the mask staying on? How long did it take to get used to it?
Last night was contraption night. I was dog tired from work and when I trundled into the sleep study place at 9:30 I'd sleep like a log no matter what they hooked up to me, right?

Wrong! How in the hell can you guys possibly sleep with this thing? I felt big time claustrophobic, every time I rolled onto my side my eyeball was blasted with air as the seal broke on the mask and it streamed an air jet into my eyeball. Anytime my nose or something had an itch I had to loosen the straps, scratch and redo the whole reset the seal. I don't think I slept 2 hours all night total. No idea what I may have gotten at any one time.

I asked this morning how I did and the girl/tech/nurse who had been Chatty Cathy the night before just kinda sighed and said "The Dr will call you in a couple weeks with the results".

As soon as I left I called work and told the boss thee was no way I was coming in. Went home and passed out.

I've had to do 24 hour Ops in a gas mask before and that was cake compared to this. Maybe it was the wires + CPAP+ being watched combination, but I gotta say I think I'd sooner become a Lunesta addict before I become a CPAP user.

My Cpap has a ramp up mode. So when you first put it on the pressure is low. Over 15 minutes it goes up to your prescribed level. Easier for you to fall asleep.

Mine is set to start at 9 and ramp up to 13. I honestly dont know how long I keep mine on. I'm never concious enough to look at the clock when I take it off. It definitely helps. I think it would help more if I had it on for a whole night.

Pack do you have a cpap or bipap?

My current routine which has been working for the most part is taping my mouth shut, a breathe right and the nasal mask.

I'm hoping this makes my workouts better, too. I've never quit working out over the years but it's become increasingly difficult.

My current routine which has been working for the most part is taping my mouth shut, a breathe right and the nasal mask.
C-Pap, only covers my nose.

Thinking about trying a Bi-Pap, as I breathe a lot thru my mouth at night and the air really dries me out.

C-Pap, only covers my nose.Thinking about trying a Bi-Pap, as I breathe a lot thru my mouth at night and the air really dries me out.
What's the difference?
C-Pap is contiunous pressure, Bi-Pap has 2 differnet pressures. One when you exhale, and one when you inhale.

I'm also thinking about trying a full mouth and nose mask.

At sleep center now. Tried on a couple and couldn't do nose pillow. Too much pressure up my nose. Going with the one that just covers my nose, surprisingly comfortable so far. I don't feel as much pressure when I try to breathe out.

At sleep center now. Tried on a couple and couldn't do nose pillow. Too much pressure up my nose. Going with the one that just covers my nose, surprisingly comfortable so far. I don't feel as much pressure when I try to breathe out.

C-Pap, only covers my nose.Thinking about trying a Bi-Pap, as I breathe a lot thru my mouth at night and the air really dries me out.
What's the difference?
C-Pap is contiunous pressure, Bi-Pap has 2 differnet pressures. One when you exhale, and one when you inhale.

I'm also thinking about trying a full mouth and nose mask.
I may need to look into the bi-pap. The exhale is one of the major reasons why I have a hard time keeping mine on all night. Kind of feel like I have a pillow over my nose when I breathe out. No problems breathing in.

I have been wearing mine for severe Apnea for almost 10 years. Do any of you use the humidified air? I have a water chamber, and don't use it as I felt I was drowning. My nose is dried out a bit, bit I sleep like a rock

That's what I have. Mine is pretty comfortable. Never tried the nose pillow and don't think I'd like it.

Good luck with it.

How many occurrences do you have?

I have been wearing mine for severe Apnea for almost 10 years. Do any of you use the humidified air? I have a water chamber, and don't use it as I felt I was drowning. My nose is dried out a bit, bit I sleep like a rock
I love the humidifier. Don't you have different settings for it? I have to adjust mine during the year depending on the season. But no way would I use one without it.

Went horribly. I think I started getting sick at the worst possible time. My stomach was killing me all night. Didn't sleep a wink and they finally just let me go and said I would have to come back another time. It's very disappointing because the mask and pressure felt fine, no problems whatsoever. :(

3rd sleep study went well. They are putting me on a bipap instead of a cpap, something about they couldn't get pressure high enough on a cpap. Not sure what that means but I hope it works.

That's what I have. Mine is pretty comfortable. Never tried the nose pillow and don't think I'd like it.

Good luck with it.

How many occurrences do you have?
22 times an hour in deep sleep

Was fighting all night to get onto my stomach. It's going to take some time getting used to staying on my back or side. I don't know how people can sleep right away with one of these things. Still feel better than normal, though.

Users who are viewing this thread