What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen King's "Under the Dome" coming to CBS (1 Viewer)

playin4beer

Footballguy
Linky

I enjoyed the book and was excited when I heard about this series, but after reading more, I'm not sure.

Fans of the novel shouldn’t expect an exact retelling of the same story, however. Last we heard, writer Brian K. Vaughan’s (Lost) script for Dome was wisely using the novel’s setup as a launch pad for its own TV-format-friendly version of the story and might even have a different outcome than the novel’s ending. Also, the CBS version is definitely a series, not a mini-series, with a season finale episode that will leave things open for more seasons.

Hated the book, but primarily because I hated the ending. If they get rid of that, I might actually enjoy this.

The book was largely bloated and overwrought. But the premise was cool and certain aspects of the execution were very well done.

Hated the book, but primarily because I hated the ending. If they get rid of that, I might actually enjoy this.
I never could finish it, probably 100 pages left. So you're saying it's not worth finishing?
Like many King books, the ending is kind of a WTF? thing.
It made me want to throw the book across the room. Over-reaction? Sure. But it was just such a cop-out ending, like he got 80% of the way through and just said screw it. Ruined what was a pretty good story for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never could finish it, probably 100 pages left. So you're saying it's not worth finishing?
It made me want to throw the book across the room. Over-reaction? Sure. But it was just such a cop-out ending, like he got 80% of the way through and just said screw it. Ruined what was a pretty good story for me.
I just don't know how else he would have ended it?? I'm not saying I loved it.. but how did you think the dome was going to be explained??Would it have been better to just have it "disappear" without any explanation?? Serious question..

Like everyone else, this could be a a good thing. The premise (even though it's kind of silly) is actually kind of cool. But along the way, the story got silly. So much that even now i think back and can't quite remember what happened except that I thought it was kind of dumb.

I just don't know how else he would have ended it?? I'm not saying I loved it.. but how did you think the dome was going to be explained??Would it have been better to just have it "disappear" without any explanation?? Serious question..
I like the premise, but the execution I felt was seriously lacking. I would have cut portions from the center of the book, and spent a bit more time elaborating on and explaining the ending. I guess the idea that it was
a bunch of alien kids just messing around, who eventually relent due to a passionate plea (gross simplification and probably a bit inaccurate due to faulty memory)
felt quite a bit anti-climatic and that is where I felt the cop-out was. As to a better ending, I dunno, that's why he is the author. I was just disappointed in the eventual solution after all the build-up.

I actually thought it was one of King's better climaxes and finishes to a book.

My problem is that I thought a lot of the writing was pretty bad.

One of my favorite authors is Stephen King. I haven't read the book in which the new series which starts on Mon is based on, Under The Dome. What do you think about the commercial for this series? I plan on watching it. It looks eerie!

DVR set... IN.

Request for NO SPOILERS for those who might not have read the book yet. Reasonable? if not I can just stay out of the thread, no biggie.

Haven't read the book, but after seeing the previews for the show I'd imagine that the ending is going to involve a poorly written and often complained about show that is canceled without any kind of resolution/ending.

I forgot how it ended. Must have been dumb. Anyway, the book was interesting enough so I'll tune in to see the show.

I forgot how it ended. Must have been dumb. Anyway, the book was interesting enough so I'll tune in to see the show.
Please don't tell us how it ends. Since this is a series maybe the story will be a bit different than the book and so will the ending. :dunno: As a SK fan, I'm looking forward to this series!

Really looking forward to this series! I hope it does well.

I find it interesting that CBS is doing a "mid-summer" series. Is this usual for the big networks? It's like they are taking a page out of the AMC playbook.

The book was largely bloated and overwrought. But the premise was cool and certain aspects of the execution were very well done.
This - I got about 1/3 of the way through the book and gave up. Went on to 11/22/63 and couldn't put it down. Of course didn't care for the ending of that one but enjoyed the book overall.

I like King's ideas more than his execution. With him out I am likely on board.
I think King does as well. He writes a ton of books and I think that's what hurts him. He gets a good idea and devotes his time and effort to developing it. Then at some point while writing the book he gets bored with it, thinks of something else he wants to work on, and quickly ends the current story without much more thought just to move on.

This - I got about 1/3 of the way through the book and gave up. Went on to 11/22/63 and couldn't put it down. Of course didn't care for the ending of that one but enjoyed the book overall.
11/22/63 was good had no problem with the ending.

Under the Dome, I thought was one of the worst endings King ever wrote. Like someone else said, it's like King just quits on his endings to go to something else. I would have rather he not explained how the dome was there and just killed everyone off who were under the dome.

Regarding the ending - CBS is considering this series lasting more than one season. So the story may be continued into net summer. Not sure if that affects the ending or not.

I'm guessing this will fail just like every other big network Sci Fi series. It will fall in line with flash forward, the happening, awake, do no harm, ect

I'm guessing this will fail just like every other big network Sci Fi series. It will fall in line with flash forward, the happening, awake, do no harm, ect
Is this a series, or just a limited edition summer series - i.e. a slightly longer mini-series.

Regarding the ending - CBS is considering this series lasting more than one season. So the story may be continued into net summer. Not sure if that affects the ending or not.
Are we going to need separate threads: Book readers v. TV watchers?

King did it first. He was accused of plagiarism when this book first came out. Turns out it is a story he wrote many many years ago. I forget how but there was proof that his story was written before the Simpsons did it. S King has trunks full of unreleased stories. I suspect there will be a ton of stuff coming out long after he passes on.

I read the book and enjoyed it. I would say I am in the camp that did not like the ending. Everything else was really fun though. I am looking forward to the series.

Just saw Stephen King on the news talking about this. He started the script in 1972. He wrote 25 pages then set it aside as it was going to be too long to work on with his life at the time becoming so busy (wife, kids...). Instead he wrote a smaller book, Carrie.

He says while it's entertaining, there is a serious undertone to it in that we all live under the dome that is earth, where resources are limited (food, energy, air, etc) and about human behavior. Steven Spielberg's company produced it along with SK. They say SK is a pessimist while SS is an optimist so who knows how this is really going to go.

Check out the link below: behind the scenes. It's not going to be an exact adaptation of the book. They say it's going to be more riveting, we're going to be surprised every week.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Under-Dome-Behind-Scenes-Video-Stephen-King-Thinks-It-Riveting-TV-56653.html

Can't wait! :pickle:

prosopis said:
simsarge said:
Chaka said:
Meh. Simpsons did it.
:goodposting:
King did it first. He was accused of plagiarism when this book first came out. Turns out it is a story he wrote many many years ago. I forget how but there was proof that his story was written before the Simpsons did it. S King has trunks full of unreleased stories. I suspect there will be a ton of stuff coming out long after he passes on.
I don't doubt this at all. It's just that the premise is so silly that it first appeared in parody form.

So did anyone actually watch it? I have it on the DVR but am torn on whether to commit to it. I don't see it surviving, and after the bitter disappointment of Flash Forward, The Nine, and Windfall, I'm gunshy.

So did anyone actually watch it? I have it on the DVR but am torn on whether to commit to it. I don't see it surviving, and after the bitter disappointment of Flash Forward, The Nine, and Windfall, I'm gunshy.
:goodposting:

Came in here to let the FFA make my decision. Delete or watch?

interesting info about UTD which may help it stay around even if ratings aren't that great

To illustrate, let’s look at the many different deals made for CBS’s adaptation of Stephen King's Under the Dome, which premieres tonight, and had an estimated production budget of $3 million per episode. While Eye execs would very much like to wake up to big ratings for the show tomorrow morning, they don't need to wait for Nielsen to render its verdict because the show is already a financial winner, thanks to the following arrangements:

• Back in February, CBS struck a deal with Amazon that would let Amazon Prime members stream episodes of the show four days after they debut on CBS, while anyone with a credit card will be able to download episodes on a pay-per-view basis. Vulture has learned via multiple sources that the streaming giant will pay CBS a whopping $750,000 per hour-long episode — that’s roughly one quarter of the show's estimated production cost, instantly covered.
  • Dome filmed in North Carolina, taking advantage of the state's generous tax credits to further reduce its costs. People familiar with the cost structure for Dome say the subsidies work out to approximately $400,000 per episode.
  • International sales have become increasingly important to the TV business, much as global box office is now just as, and sometime more, important to the financial health of American feature films. And Dome has turned out to be a massive hit with overseas networks: Vulture hears the show will pull in around $1.9 million in license fees paid by foreign broadcasters.
Add all these revenue streams together, and CBS had raised just over $3 million per episode for Dome before it sold a single ad — the full cost of production. Since even the lowest-rated CBS shows bring in at least $500,000 in ad revenue, even if Dome flops, CBS will make money every time the show airs. As CBS president and CEO Leslie Moonves told investors last month on a first-quarter earnings call, "Combining Amazon with the international syndication deal makes Under the Dome profitable immediately."
http://www.vulture.com/2013/06/under-the-dome-tv-revenue-when-ads-fail.html

Users who are viewing this thread