What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harbaugh's ego (1 Viewer)

thehornet

Footballguy
The future is Kaepernick but I'm not the only one questioning his mistake to go with Kaepernick this year in the middle of a very competitive season (a legitimate SB contender with Smith). At first glance, it seems as though the masses agreed with Harbossy (only because the Niners won their first two games with Kaep starting), but now things are starting to get hairy.

Yesterday's loss itself probably 85% on Kaep, 14% on Harbaugh and 1% on Akers. (kickers are gonna miss 50 yarders sometimes - it happens). But the bigger issue is the decision to stick with Kaep. And that is all on Harbozo.

This is only the beginning of the learning curve for Kaepernick. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Harbuagh is a smart coach but this is a massive fail if he sticks with his 2nd best QB down the stretch. In my opinion, it is equivalent of throwing away a potential super bowl season to bring in the guy you drafted. It's sheer stubbornness and his ego is getting to big. He could learn a few things from his brother. The better coach of the two.

The only chance the 49ers have of winning the Super Bowl is with Alex Smith. There I said it.

http://www.boston.com/2012/12/02/entry-cont/6xgIveijKx61NYGE2JfDQI/story.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex Smith will prove them all wrong next year as he propels the Arizona Cardinals to a 3rd place finish in the NFC West!

Yesterday's loss itself probably 85% on Kaep,
How so?
He handed the ball off to the wrong team.
Ok he made a bad pitch for his only turnover of the game after which he pulled off a 50 yard run to put his team in position to win the game but the loss was squarely on his shoulders. Gotcha.
Wasn't there like 3 minutes left in the game and all they had to do was just play it safe and then punt since the Rams offense couldn't score? Also, you can put a good amount of the blame on the safety on him as well.I have nothing against him and I think he's the better QB, but I agree with the OP in that now wasn't the time to throw in some hot new inexperienced QB.

I tend to agree but only short term. I have no doubt that Kaep can be a much better QB than Smith eventually.

The decision to make this change 1 month before the playoffs is very questionable, however.

The 49ers probably gave up the 2 seed yesterday which is huge and the risk of this happening was completely lost in all the Kaep hype over the last 2 weeks.

How so?
Ok he made a bad pitch for his only turnover of the game after which he pulled off a 50 yard run to put his team in position to win the game but the loss was squarely on his shoulders. Gotcha.
Wasn't there like 3 minutes left in the game and all they had to do was just play it safe and then punt since the Rams offense couldn't score? Also, you can put a good amount of the blame on the safety on him as well.I have nothing against him and I think he's the better QB, but I agree with the OP in that now wasn't the time to throw in some hot new inexperienced QB.
It was a running play and he made a bad pitch. Let me repeat it was a running play. Translation- they were playing it safe. He made a bad pitch.If the game ended there it would be a stretch to blame it on CK. Fact is he that he than led the team down the field with his arm and legs with little to no help from the running game and put them ahead with and minute and half to go should dispel any notion he cost them the game but apparently people in the world still think he's 85% at fault. Unbelievable.

How so?
It was a running play and he made a bad pitch. Let me repeat it was a running play. Translation- they were playing it safe. He made a bad pitch.If the game ended there it would be a stretch to blame it on CK. Fact is he that he than led the team down the field with his arm and legs with little to no help from the running game and put them ahead with and minute and half to go should dispel any notion he cost them the game but apparently people in the world still think he's 85% at fault. Unbelievable.
He was directly responsible for 8 of the Rams points, PLUS the boneheaded move to run out of bounds and stop the clock towards the end of regulation. He's not 100% responsible, but I'd give him the goat of the game award easily.

I tend to agree but only short term. I have no doubt that Kaep can be a much better QB than Smith eventually.

The decision to make this change 1 month before the playoffs is very questionable, however.

The 49ers probably gave up the 2 seed yesterday which is huge and the risk of this happening was completely lost in all the Kaep hype over the last 2 weeks.
Really?

Harbaugh is a really weird guy. Almost seems like some kind of sociopath to me.

However, he's pretty good when it comes to football decisions. I don't think he would've made the move for Kaep without good reason, so I'd expect it to pay off eventually. Doing it in the middle of the season was a big risk. If the Niners crash out, he will take all of the blame. But if Kaep catches fire in the playoffs and leads San Fran to the Super Bowl, people will forget about the bumps in the road quickly.

Really?
Considering they have two very rough road games on their schedule coming up, yeah it's a very likely possibility.

How so?
He was directly responsible for 8 of the Rams points, PLUS the boneheaded move to run out of bounds and stop the clock towards the end of regulation. He's not 100% responsible, but I'd give him the goat of the game award easily.
I should really just give up because this notion that CK cost them the game might one of the worst premises I've heard in awhile.Do you realize that the 49'ers ran 27 plays that did not involve CK passing or running? They gained 64 yards on those 27 plays. That's 2.3 yards per play. CK must be one tired guy today. In addition to accounting for 82% of his teams offense, he apparently was the sole defender on the two point conversion, was on the defensive side off the ball when they failed to protect their lead with a minute and a half left and judging from some posts in here I suppose he also slipped on a Rams jersey and booted two field goals which covered 107 yards to win the game for the Rams.

How so?
I should really just give up because this notion that CK cost them the game might one of the worst premises I've heard in awhile.Do you realize that the 49'ers ran 27 plays that did not involve CK passing or running? They gained 64 yards on those 27 plays. That's 2.3 yards per play. CK must be one tired guy today. In addition to accounting for 82% of his teams offense, he apparently was the sole defender on the two point conversion, was on the defensive side off the ball when they failed to protect their lead with a minute and a half left and judging from some posts in here I suppose he also slipped on a Rams jersey and booted two field goals which covered 107 yards to win the game for the Rams.
are you really that blind? dude wake up. he played like crap and made a lot of mistakes. deal with it. for christs sake, even CK is admitting it.

If we're going to blame Kaep for this loss we also have to blame Drew Brees for the loss to the Falcons this week, and many other losses to the QB.

Kaep is a riskier start than Smith, but he's also more likely to win when the team needs the QB to make plays.

The future is Kaepernick but I'm not the only one questioning his mistake to go with Kaepernick this year in the middle of a very competitive season (a legitimate SB contender with Smith). At first glance, it seems as though the masses agreed with Harbossy (only because the Niners won their first two games with Kaep starting), but now things are starting to get hairy. Yesterday's loss itself probably 85% on Kaep, 14% on Harbaugh and 1% on Akers. (kickers are gonna miss 50 yarders sometimes - it happens). But the bigger issue is the decision to stick with Kaep. And that is all on Harbozo. This is only the beginning of the learning curve for Kaepernick. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Harbuagh is a smart coach but this is a massive fail if he sticks with his 2nd best QB down the stretch. In my opinion, it is equivalent of throwing away a potential super bowl season to bring in the guy you drafted. It's sheer stubbornness and his ego is getting to big. He could learn a few things from his brother. The better coach of the two.The only chance the 49ers have of winning the Super Bowl is with Alex Smith. There I said it. http://www.boston.com/2012/12/02/entry-cont/6xgIveijKx61NYGE2JfDQI/story.html
Oh brother. He has been successfull at everything he has ever done. He's the brightest young coach in football. CK has been just fine. This thread screams agenda or bitter beer.

If we're going to blame Kaep for this loss we also have to blame Drew Brees for the loss to the Falcons this week, and many other losses to the QB. Kaep is a riskier start than Smith, but he's also more likely to win when the team needs the QB to make plays.
so Kaep is all world in his first two games and everyone loves him and jumps on the bandwagon, but we can't point out the FACTS that he is responsible for this loss even though the evidence is overwhelmingly there. got it!

The future is Kaepernick but I'm not the only one questioning his mistake to go with Kaepernick this year in the middle of a very competitive season (a legitimate SB contender with Smith). At first glance, it seems as though the masses agreed with Harbossy (only because the Niners won their first two games with Kaep starting), but now things are starting to get hairy. Yesterday's loss itself probably 85% on Kaep, 14% on Harbaugh and 1% on Akers. (kickers are gonna miss 50 yarders sometimes - it happens). But the bigger issue is the decision to stick with Kaep. And that is all on Harbozo. This is only the beginning of the learning curve for Kaepernick. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Harbuagh is a smart coach but this is a massive fail if he sticks with his 2nd best QB down the stretch. In my opinion, it is equivalent of throwing away a potential super bowl season to bring in the guy you drafted. It's sheer stubbornness and his ego is getting to big. He could learn a few things from his brother. The better coach of the two.The only chance the 49ers have of winning the Super Bowl is with Alex Smith. There I said it. http://www.boston.com/2012/12/02/entry-cont/6xgIveijKx61NYGE2JfDQI/story.html
Oh brother. He has been successfull at everything he has ever done. He's the brightest young coach in football. CK has been just fine. This thread screams agenda or bitter beer.
pure hyperbole. And I'm not bitter. I just want the best QB on the field. The only one with the agenda is Harbaugh sticking with "his guy."

If we're going to blame Kaep for this loss we also have to blame Drew Brees for the loss to the Falcons this week, and many other losses to the QB. Kaep is a riskier start than Smith, but he's also more likely to win when the team needs the QB to make plays.
so Kaep is all world in his first two games and everyone loves him and jumps on the bandwagon, but we can't point out the FACTS that he is responsible for this loss even though the evidence is overwhelmingly there. got it!
Sure, that's what I wrote. Do you dislike the 49ers or just Harbaugh? Just my opinion but switching after the first bad game would be worse for the team than giving Kaep a little room to grow.

How so?
are you really that blind? dude wake up. he played like crap and made a lot of mistakes. deal with it. for christs sake, even CK is admitting it.
And yet he was still the most effective player on the field in a landslide.

If we're going to blame Kaep for this loss we also have to blame Drew Brees for the loss to the Falcons this week, and many other losses to the QB.

Kaep is a riskier start than Smith, but he's also more likely to win when the team needs the QB to make plays.
Who said he was "all world" in his first two games? Oh yeah...society. Sure, tell those guys he should be blamed.

The future is Kaepernick but I'm not the only one questioning his mistake to go with Kaepernick this year in the middle of a very competitive season (a legitimate SB contender with Smith). At first glance, it seems as though the masses agreed with Harbossy (only because the Niners won their first two games with Kaep starting), but now things are starting to get hairy.

Yesterday's loss itself probably 85% on Kaep, 14% on Harbaugh and 1% on Akers. (kickers are gonna miss 50 yarders sometimes - it happens). But the bigger issue is the decision to stick with Kaep. And that is all on Harbozo.

This is only the beginning of the learning curve for Kaepernick. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Harbuagh is a smart coach but this is a massive fail if he sticks with his 2nd best QB down the stretch. In my opinion, it is equivalent of throwing away a potential super bowl season to bring in the guy you drafted. It's sheer stubbornness and his ego is getting to big. He could learn a few things from his brother. The better coach of the two.

The only chance the 49ers have of winning the Super Bowl is with Alex Smith. There I said it.

http://www.boston.co...fDQI/story.html
pure hyperbole. And I'm not bitter. I just want the best QB in the field. The only one with the agenda is Harbaugh sticking with "his guy."

Yes, and Harbaugh's agenda is to WIN. Both this year and in the future. He's making the choice he thinks is best. I'll give the best young coach in the game the benefit of the doubt.

http://www.boston.com/2012/12/02/entry-cont/6xgIveijKx61NYGE2JfDQI/story.html
well that is not hyperbole

Sure, that's what I wrote. Do you dislike the 49ers or just Harbaugh? Just my opinion but switching after the first bad game would be worse for the team than giving Kaep a little room to grow.
dude reading comprehension. read my first post. the time for Kaep to grow is not in the middle of a playoff hunt.

pure hyperbole. And I'm not bitter. I just want the best QB on the field. The only one with the agenda is Harbaugh sticking with "his guy."
Yeah, Jim has an agenda. That's absurd.And what is hyperbole? Facat: Jim has been successfull at everything he has ever done professionaly. Fact: Jim has been called a coaching prodigy and has taken his teams immediately to the top everywhere he has coached. Jerry Jones called him the best young coach in football.

pure hyperbole. And I'm not bitter. I just want the best QB in the field. The only one with the agenda is Harbaugh sticking with "his guy."

Yes, and Harbaugh's agenda is to WIN. Both this year and in the future. He's making the choice he thinks is best. I'll give the best young coach in the game the benefit of the doubt.
And I am saying he is wrong. He is making a mistake. They sure didnt do a lot of winnign yesterday in a critical matchup (for seeding purposes) against a crap team. best young coach? lol, ok. he's 50 yrs old and there are a number of much younger coaches with less experience that this title could go towards.

Yeah, Jim has an agenda. That's absurd.And what is hyperbole? Facat: Jim has been successfull at everything he has ever done professionaly. Fact: Jim has been called a coaching prodigy and has taken his teams immediately to the top everywhere he has coached. Jerry Jones called him the best young coach in football.
Facthe has never won a championship, not an ncaa cham,pion ship as a player or coach and not a super bowl as a player or coach:shrug:i got nothing against him at all, but to say he always succeeds and thus we cannot question him is silly hyperboleif you'd like to say he has made a lot of correct calls and you give him the benefit of the doubt, i can roll with that

How so?
And yet he was still the most effective player on the field in a landslide.
you are right. he scored the most points for both teams. so there is that.

Facthe has never won a championship, not an ncaa cham,pion ship as a player or coach and not a super bowl as a player or coach:shrug:i got nothing against him at all, but to say he always succeeds and thus we cannot question him is silly hyperboleif you'd like to say he has made a lot of correct calls and you give him the benefit of the doubt, i can roll with that
How long has he been a head coach? He's taken bad teams directly to the top the second he arrived at each stop.

How long has he been a head coach? He's taken bad teams directly to the top the second he arrived at each stop.
he's been a head coach since 2004he's been in football since 1983again i am not ripping him, but you were way over the top. He is not this genius savant who has always succeeded at everythinghe's a man, a coach, and a good coachthat does not preclude him from making mistakesif he was perfect there'd be a ring on his finger at some point from some levelgiven that discussing if this was a mistake seems reasonable even if most people in the discussion are notI don;t think you can say based on last game that he screwed this up. I also don;t think you cannot question if he screwed this up because jim freaking harbaugh doesn't screw up

And I am saying he is wrong. He is making a mistake. They sure didnt do a lot of winnign yesterday in a critical matchup (for seeding purposes) against a crap team. best young coach? lol, ok. he's 50 yrs old and there are a number of much younger coaches with less experience that this title could go towards.
You are out to lunch. You are bitter and grumpy and are making no sense. The Rams are hardly a crap team. That comment eliminates you from an educated conversation.Also, in regards to Jim, you say he has a ton of experience. He's a head coaching infant. Just stop man. Just drop Alex Smith from your fantasy team and stop being a baby.

and directly to the top as soon as he started would imply 7 or 8 championships

hyperbole does not help your case, it deflates it

he has been drastically improved teams everywhere he went and made them contenders

that speaks highly enough of him without trying to make him a deity

he's been a head coach since 2004he's been in football since 1983again i am not ripping him, but you were way over the top. He is not this genius savant who has always succeeded at everythinghe's a man, a coach, and a good coachthat does not preclude him from making mistakesif he was perfect there'd be a ring on his finger at some point from some levelgiven that discussing if this was a mistake seems reasonable even if most people in the discussion are notI don;t think you can say based on last game that he screwed this up. I also don;t think you cannot question if he screwed this up because jim freaking harbaugh doesn't screw up
Quick, I'll give you an hour to come up with two head coaches who have had a better start to their head coaching career. Both college and NFL. Go.

How so?
Way to bring the facts.I'm blind,asleep and the coach of the year is just being plain old pig headed stubborn and obviously wrong to point out after the game that CK put them in a position to win. Please keep bringing these strong fact filled posts.It's a massive contribution. I need it to wake me up. Harbs needs to know stuff like this so he'll come to his senses. Thanks man, you flat owned us here. Respect.

You are out to lunch. You are bitter and grumpy and are making no sense. The Rams are hardly a crap team. That comment eliminates you from an educated conversation.Also, in regards to Jim, you say he has a ton of experience. He's a head coaching infant. Just stop man. Just drop Alex Smith from your fantasy team and stop being a baby.
The Rams suck. Deal with it. Harbaugh has been a head coach for various teams for just under a decade. I don't know what you are talking about with the rest of this crap, but stop drinking in the afternoon.

Quick, I'll give you an hour to come up with two head coaches who have had a better start to their head coaching career. Both college and NFL. Go.
I am not your lapdog to run your fools errands on demand.he's a human, this may have been an error, we don't know yet, time will tell. Though even then it may be a matter of opinion if this was an error.If you want to believe the man never makes an error that's a you problem. But in this argument you look as ignorant as you are accusing thehornet of being.And yes i think thehornet jumped to a ludicrous conclusion on the basis of one game.you just are doing a crappy job of pointing it out

How so?
Way to bring the facts.I'm blind,asleep and the coach of the year is just being plain old pig headed stubborn and obviously wrong to point out after the game that CK put them in a position to win. Please keep bringing these strong fact filled posts.It's a massive contribution. I need it to wake me up. Harbs needs to know stuff like this so he'll come to his senses. Thanks man, you flat owned us here. Respect.
Your welcome. And yes, he does need to come to his senses.

and directly to the top as soon as he started would imply 7 or 8 championshipshyperbole does not help your case, it deflates ithe has been drastically improved teams everywhere he went and made them contendersthat speaks highly enough of him without trying to make him a deity
he's a good coach. what's your point?

and directly to the top as soon as he started would imply 7 or 8 championshipshyperbole does not help your case, it deflates ithe has been drastically improved teams everywhere he went and made them contendersthat speaks highly enough of him without trying to make him a deity
He went to Stanford and took a bad team to a top 10 team in year one. Stanford was never not in the conversation at one time each year for a national championship. All of that with Stanford being outside of the top 40 in NFL players.He went to SF in the NFL and took a downward spiral team immediately to one step away step away from a championship.Those are facts. Next homework: Look up what hyperbole actually means.

Time will tell if he is wrong. I don't think they were winning a Super Bowl with Smith at QB while they actually have a better chance with Kaep. He is a huge reason they beat the Bears.

He went to Stanford and took a bad team to a top 10 team in year one. Stanford was never not in the conversation at one time each year for a national championship. All of that with Stanford being outside of the top 40 in NFL players.He went to SF in the NFL and took a downward spiral team immediately to one step away step away from a championship.Those are facts. Next homework: Look up what hyperbole actually means.
so you are sayinghe drastically improved those teams and made them contenders....

I've made my point clear
so, we agree that he is a good coach. he is incapable of making mistakes?

I've made my point clear
so, we agree that he is a good coach. he is incapable of making mistakes?
are you even pretending to read what i wrote?

The Rams suck. Deal with it. Harbaugh has been a head coach for various teams for just under a decade. I don't know what you are talking about with the rest of this crap, but stop drinking in the afternoon.
8 years man. If you can come up with a better start to a coaching career I will bow to you. You have no idea how long it takes for coaches to do what Jim has done at both the NFL and college level.The Rams do not suck. They are an up and coming team that has a head coach that has them beat up their opponent every week whether they win or lose. Nobody enjoys playing the Rams.

Time will tell if he is wrong. I don't think they were winning a Super Bowl with Smith at QB while they actually have a better chance with Kaep. He is a huge reason they beat the Bears.
I agree time will tell, i agree Kaep is better long term. I am not sure if Kaep's inexperience will bite them this year. Even if it does i agree that I am not sure Alex Smith was going to win a champion ship anywayIt was a bold move, imo, and not without risk but I certainly don't have a problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread