What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Golden Tate (1 Viewer)

EBF

Footballguy
Never liked this guy when he was at Notre Dame, but he was a high pick draft pick and he has caught my eye with a couple hyper-athletic plays this season. He reminds me a bit of Victor Cruz. Not the tallest receiver, but strong with good quickness and hops. After spending most of the first two seasons of his career on the bench, he is having a mini breakout season with 35 catches for 486 yards through 12 games. Not great numbers, but decent considering that he's playing on a conservative offense with a rookie QB.

What does the shark pool think about his long term dynasty outlook? What kind of rookie pick would you give up to get him? If you own him, what kind of rookie pick would you trade him for? Is 2012 the prelude to a true breakout season in 2013? Or is what we're seeing now basically his ceiling? Despite his improvement, he's still looking for his first 100+ yard game this year.

I think there are two separate questions/issues here:

(1) Is he like Cruz? I would say no. Cruz was literally good from Day One...honestly, if you think about it, I can't remember a WR with less of a learning curve. He went "David Clowney on the preseason his rookie year and missed the rest of the season due to an injury> The next year, he went off for top 5 in fantasy and has followed that up with another strong campaign, despite sometimes weak QBing. Cruz just has a wicked knack for getting open, and is not afraid to go over the middle (which is a tough combo to find). He also makes the big play (which Tate can do), but can turn a routine play into a massive gain consistently, which Tate has done, but nowhere as consistent. if Cruz was in his 8th year, I may say, "well, Tate is on the same path", but they started at the same time.

(2) I do see dynasty value though. He has had his growing pains, but instead of folding like a Brian Robiskie (who at the time he was drafted was supposed to be the most "pro-ready" WR of his class, Tate has done a nice job of improving each season. Frankly, he is on a "normal" trajectory for a WR. He'll likely end the season at 50/700/9, which are nice WR3 stats. What I really like is that he is favored by Wilson, and he certainly is the future, so Tate will be along for the ride. You are right to bring him up...without this thread, I had no clue he had 7 TDs, and I am sure others are sleeping on him too. I doubt it would take much to get him unless you are trading with The Scientist.

I think there are two separate questions/issues here:(1) Is he like Cruz? I would say no. Cruz was literally good from Day One...honestly, if you think about it, I can't remember a WR with less of a learning curve. He went "David Clowney on the preseason his rookie year and missed the rest of the season due to an injury> The next year, he went off for top 5 in fantasy and has followed that up with another strong campaign, despite sometimes weak QBing. Cruz just has a wicked knack for getting open, and is not afraid to go over the middle (which is a tough combo to find). He also makes the big play (which Tate can do), but can turn a routine play into a massive gain consistently, which Tate has done, but nowhere as consistent. if Cruz was in his 8th year, I may say, "well, Tate is on the same path", but they started at the same time.(2) I do see dynasty value though. He has had his growing pains, but instead of folding like a Brian Robiskie (who at the time he was drafted was supposed to be the most "pro-ready" WR of his class, Tate has done a nice job of improving each season. Frankly, he is on a "normal" trajectory for a WR. He'll likely end the season at 50/700/9, which are nice WR3 stats. What I really like is that he is favored by Wilson, and he certainly is the future, so Tate will be along for the ride. You are right to bring him up...without this thread, I had no clue he had 7 TDs, and I am sure others are sleeping on him too. I doubt it would take much to get him unless you are trading with The Scientist.
I agree with most of this, if you are looking for the next top 10 dynasty wide receiver you are reaching too much for this guy. He is in the wrong offense, with the wrong quarterback, and in the wrong division. However he does have a lot of value. For the rest of this year he is a low end wr3/flex guy. Starting next year and beyond wr3/flex should be his floor with a high end wr 2 being his ceiling.

Strong sell to me. Closer to Meachem's "breakout year" than Cruz's. Would give him up easily as a throw-in to a bigger deal. Would swap him for struggling rookies I still like. Hard to let him go for less than a 1st on his own.

He's a guy I would have liked to hang onto in dynasty but he just took a little too long to develop. Nice pickup if you were able to get off the WW this season, though.

He is only 5 foot 10...I know we have had some smurfs light it up in the NFL but the league just gets bigger and bigger. I like Golden Tate, own him in dynasty, snared him off the ww as owners gave up a little too quick on him. I think Wilson will develop into a solid NFL QB but not elite. I see Tate as a WR2 on most teams, there will always be someone lined up across from him with more upside. I can see him avg 5-7 targets a game and his upside IMO is probably in the 18-30 range most seasons. He has value but if you can package him with something else and get a great player in return or move up high in the rookie draft it might be a good time to move him.

His value is up right now and a lot of people in dynasty who own him are the 2nd owners so not a bad time to test the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cecil Shorts is the new Victor Cruz. Golden Tate can be the new Cecil Shorts.
:goodposting:Golden Tate and Cruz are both strong and dynamic after the catch, but that's about the only similarities I can think of. Cruz has 2 inches on him, is a hands catcher whereas Tate is a body catcher, and Cruz is considerably quicker than Tate. I don't see Tate ever becoming anything more than a middling fantasy WR. Cecil Shorts is a lot more similar to Victor Cruz, even down to their subdivision NCAA careers.

Tate is not so much like Victor Cruz as Steve Smith (CAR). Not the tallest guys but quite powerful and very fast. Smith did pretty well with a guy like Delhomme, who was by no means elite, throwing him the ball. No reason why Tate can't either.

Tate is someone I liked coming into the league, but didn't feel confident about him and there were other guys I liked better so didn't draft him. I did grab him off a couple WWs this year though and love him as a WR4 with upside. Only question is whether he gets enough opportunities with the Seahawks.

As good as Golden Tate has been, Sidney Rice would be the guy I'd target. He has a history of producing with the Vikings, he's tall, has great hands, and has been turning it on the past several weeks.

As good as Golden Tate has been, Sidney Rice would be the guy I'd target. He has a history of producing with the Vikings, he's tall, has great hands, and has been turning it on the past several weeks.
Yeah, but after his head go taken off on that game winning TD, Rice will be less productive.

Can anyone tell me how how tate is used. I don't see the seattle games. His catch to target ratio is very good at about66%. I am asking because I may have to use him, and was wondering if he is used similarly to percy harvin. I know his RAC abilitiy is good, so he is intriguing. Where as if he is being thrown the ball more just on curl routes or short outs to the sideline, ( any route that leads to a quick tackle or he is lead out of bounds.) I would feel his upside is limited and I would be more leary to count on him. Seattle throws the ball so little that I would think any progress by RW or slight change in the play calling could make him very valuable. Anyway any insightas to how he is used would be appreciated.

Can anyone tell me how how tate is used. I don't see the seattle games. His catch to target ratio is very good at about66%. I am asking because I may have to use him, and was wondering if he is used similarly to percy harvin. I know his RAC abilitiy is good, so he is intriguing. Where as if he is being thrown the ball more just on curl routes or short outs to the sideline, ( any route that leads to a quick tackle or he is lead out of bounds.) I would feel his upside is limited and I would be more leary to count on him. Seattle throws the ball so little that I would think any progress by RW or slight change in the play calling could make him very valuable. Anyway any insightas to how he is used would be appreciated.
They use him on screens occasionally. He goes long a lot too.

Anyone like him this week against Buffalo if Rice is out?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4188/sidney-rice

Sidney Rice missed Wednesday's practice with a foot injury, and is uncertain for Sunday's game against the Bills.

The injury is supposedly just a bruise, but Rice is in a walking boot. Coach Pete Carroll is "not sure" about his Week 15 status. Seattle's injury-prone No. 1 receiver has yet to miss a game this season, but that streak appears to be in serious doubt. Either Doug Baldwin or Charly Martin would slide into the starting lineup opposite Golden Tate if Rice can't go Sunday. His status will be updated no later than Thursday. Dec 12 - 4:10 PM

Source: John Boyle on Twitter

I'm a Golden Tate fan, and acquired him in all of my dynasty leagues during the offseason. In most cases, I got him as throw-ins, and in some cases I'd pay a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

Right now, I'd probably sell him for a high second rounder and be happy with the return on my investment. I'd be just as happy to hang on to him and see how he develops though.

one catch for 8 yards when his team scored 58 points. start at your own risk. starting him after shrts went down effectively killed my chances in one of my leagues. buyer beware.

watched some of it. was pretty boring game actually. spent more time watching the saints/NYG game. But don't like carroll benchinghis starters befre the half. 3 targets? 8yards. Not really someone you wanna hang your FF season on, especially when they are playing a bills team that could easily be down big at the half too.

Rotoworld:

Appearing on NFL32 Tuesday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported the Seahawks "haven't moved to extend" Golden Tate going into the final year of his rookie contract.
Per Mort, the Seahawks "are not going to sit there and say let's get this guy signed to a contract extension." Mort intimated the Seahawks will view any contributions they get from Tate this season as a bonus in the wake of Percy Harvin's addition. Tate has a nose for big plays, but is frozen out of two-wide sets with Harvin and Sidney Rice both signed to big-money deals. We expect him to move on next winter.

Tate had great per-target numbers last season. I'm not sure if it was a mirage or a sign that he's underrated.

I think this will be an interesting situation to monitor. Given how good Russell Wilson looked, I think there's value in trying to lock up some of his weapons for your FF team.

I'm pretty high on Chris Harper, but if Seattle extends Tate after this season then it might indicate a lack of faith in the rookie.

If not, I think the Seahawks will roll out Harper and Rice as their starters in 2014, with Harvin as the slot guy/moving weapon who lines up everywhere.

Tate finished as WR35 last year, while playing for a team that only threw the ball 400 times. If we look at "fantasy points per team passing attempt", he and Rice were both in the top 24 WRs. Tate was 2nd among all receivers in missed tackle rate (behind only Harvin), caught 2/3 of the balls thrown his way, and dropped only 2 passes (according to PFF data).

Harvin's addition kills his value for this season, but he could break out a year from now if he signs in the right place (or if Seattle re-signs him and parts ways with Rice).

Making the Leap: No. 31 Seattle Seahawks' Golden Tate

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

(click on the linked article to see the related video clips in the article)

Why Tate is on the listSlow to develop as an NFL route runner, the 2010 second-round draft pick out of Notre Dame was an afterthought in the Seattle Seahawks' offense early in his career. That changed last season when Tate led all Seahawks receivers with 42 catches, 635 yards and five touchdowns over the final 11 games (including the playoffs).

Although undersized by NFL wide receiver standards, Tate was shifted from the slot to the outside last season. After making that transition, he showed a knack for making big plays in the red zone and down the field, as evidenced by this leaping 38-yard touchdown over New York Jets cornerback Kyle Wilson.

That vertical strike wasn't a rare sight. According to Pro Football Focus, Tate's 343 yards on deep targets ranked in the top 20, ahead of Andre Johnson. Only five NFL wide receivers had a better target-to-touchdown ratio than Tate's .104 last season.

Even with the addition of the more talented Percy Harvin, coach Pete Carroll is looking for more ways to get the ball in Tate's hands.

"Golden is really ready to be a terrific football player. We love what he does, and we just have to get him the ball more," Carroll said last month. "It took him a couple years to get going and now he's legit for us and we love what he brings."

ObstaclesTate's potential breakout faces two primary obstacles: a run-heavy offense and the arrival of Harvin.

The Seahawks rushed a league-high 536 times last season while their 405 passing attempts were the fewest in the NFL by a wide margin. Even if the coaching staff puts more responsibility in Russell Wilson's hands this year, Carroll insists his offensive attack will remain balanced.

With reliable hands and the ability to make defenders miss after the catch, Tate's skill set is eerily similar to that of Harvin. This shifty, tackle-breaking hurdle into the end zone versus the Minnesota Vikings looks like it was lifted from a Harvin highlight reel.

Is Tate's presence redundant now that Harvin is in the fold? The primary difference between the two is that Tate makes more plays not only down the field, but also outside the hashmarks, while Harvin will remain primarily in the slot. This full-body extension near the sideline in the playoff victory over the Washington Redskins is not a play we typically see in Harvin's bag of tricks.

2013 ExpectationsMy first instinct in watching Tate's 2012 film was that a receiver-needy team such as the Baltimore Ravens should be looking into the viability of a trade considering Seattle's depth at the position with Doug Baldwin as the fourth receiver. On second thought, though, it makes little sense for the contending Seahawks to part with an integral player. Tate could be re-signed next offseason while Rice's bloated salary is jettisoned.

The always optimistic Carroll still expects Tate to have "a huge year." Our guess is that Tate will fall short of 1,000 yards while still proving to be a valuable asset for the Seahawks.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Rotoworld:

Contract-year WR Golden Tate said he wants to stay with the Seahawks "for a long time."
Tate is set to earn $630,000 in the final year of his rookie deal, but he thinks the Seahawks have a chance to be "really special" for a long time and wants to be around for it. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported earlier in the week that the Seahawks "haven't moved to extend" Tate this offseason, and they have no plans to. Seattle has a lot of money tied up in Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin for 2014. However, they could choose to save over $7 million by cutting Rice next offseason, and then lock up the younger Tate.

Source: Sirius XM NFL Radio

Rotoworld:

Coach Pete Carroll said the Seahawks have Golden Tate in virtually every package they run.
Per CBS' Jason La Canfora, "there is a quiet buzz about [Tate] in the coaching and front office here, with every belief that he is ready to make a leap into the upper echelon of receivers." If Percy Harvin is unable to play through his hip injury, Tate will get his chance to prove them right. He's always had more talent than he's shown on the field and is now in a contract year. At the very least, Tate will be insurance for Harvin owners this season.

Source: CBS Sports

Rotoworld:

Golden Tate is expected to have a bigger role in the wake of Percy Harvin's hip surgery.
Just like last year, Sidney Rice and Tate will be the Seahawks' primary receivers while Harvin rehabs. Tate only posted a 45/688/7 line last season, but his athleticism, ball skills and overall talent are capable of much more. He's in a contract year and ascending while Rice's knee is bothering him once again. Tate, who has been practicing in every package the Seahawks run, is good value in the eighth or ninth round of fantasy drafts.

Related: Sidney Rice

Source: Associated Press

Great opportunity to sell here. I don't see him having more than 900 yards.
Ever?

Personally I'm buying all Seattle WRs in dynasty. Russell Wilson is going to be really good for a long time, and I'm guessing that eventually he'll be too good to not be turned loose. Tons of great QBs are game manager types early on -- Brady, Big Ben, Brees, etc. -- eventually it becomes obvious to all that letting them wing the ball all over the place gives the team the best chance to win. Wilson might be that type to guy IMO.

Harvin, Rice (if he isn't cut to save $), Tate, and Baldwin are all valued lower than they should be in dynasty, IMO -- looking long window anyway.

His ADP is WR57. Why would you sell? Even assuming it rises a bit he's a great bet to beat it, and camp reports suggest he may have upside as well. I'm not buying, but I'm happy to own him in a couple leagues.

Caught one of the Seattle beat reporters on the radio here in DC earlier (not sure who, but he's apparently heading to SI) and he said that Tate has been absolutely ripping it up in training camp. Suggeted he would be the #1 and that 1200 yards was in reach.

Caught one of the Seattle beat reporters on the radio here in DC earlier (not sure who, but he's apparently heading to SI) and he said that Tate has been absolutely ripping it up in training camp. Suggeted he would be the #1 and that 1200 yards was in reach.
Ya, I have been saying this as well but people don't want to listen.

Someone's going to catch the ball. Percy is out for a bit and Sidney is getting treatment in Switzerland (and maybe chocolate and some nice lace doilies, also).

Why not GTate. Maybe Zach Miller has a resurgence also?

Someone's going to catch the ball. Percy is out for a bit and Sidney is getting treatment in Switzerland (and maybe chocolate and some nice lace doilies, also).

Why not GTate. Maybe Zach Miller has a resurgence also?
Miller is more injured than Rice. Rice will be fine and playing in all the preseason games.

Great opportunity to sell here. I don't see him having more than 900 yards.
Ever?

Personally I'm buying all Seattle WRs in dynasty. Russell Wilson is going to be really good for a long time, and I'm guessing that eventually he'll be too good to not be turned loose. Tons of great QBs are game manager types early on -- Brady, Big Ben, Brees, etc. -- eventually it becomes obvious to all that letting them wing the ball all over the place gives the team the best chance to win. Wilson might be that type to guy IMO.

Harvin, Rice (if he isn't cut to save $), Tate, and Baldwin are all valued lower than they should be in dynasty, IMO -- looking long window anyway.
Right there with ya regarding Wilson. He looks like the kind of QB that can support multiple receivers. I want a piece of his action and Tate seems well positioned to take that elusive 3rd/4th-year WR leap.

Just snagged Golden Tate as my WR5 in a 14 team PPR start-up. This thread was partially the inspiration. Got him at 10.1

I'm finding Tate kind of tricky to rank, although maybe it doesn't matter so much as long as we're ahead of the curve - at WR57 he's a definite buy. I've moved him up to #45 in my dynasty WR rankings (I had him at 57 before the first report's of Harvin's injury, up from 67 when I posted my rankings a month ago). Right now he's sitting just behind M. Williams, Hunter, and Wayne, and ahead of Dobson, Jeffery, and E. Sanders. But when I look at guys 10 spots higher (like Hilton, Jennings, and Decker), putting Tate behind them doesn't feel like an obvious call. Everything seems to be lining up for him.

Congrats on the Harvin signing! :thumbup:

Stole him in auction start up for peanuts. And it has return yards... :moneybag: :pickle:

According to the Seattle Times, Golden Tate has been the Seahawks' "most impressive player in training camp so far." Analysis: Tate has reportedly shown big-play ability, "going up and over cornerbacks to haul in passes down the sideline." That's not child's play versus Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman. The Times suggests Tate has "looked like a player capable of becoming a star wide receiver." With Percy Harvin out 3-4 months, Tate has a chance to emerge as an every-week WR3/flex in his contract year.

I've been high on Tate since ND. For someone with very little WR experience at the time I liked how he adjusted to the ball in the air, his body control and his want. I traded up to take him at 1.11 in my rookie draft that year and it has been a roller coaster ride. I never gave up on him, but it has been hard to not get down on him at times. I had to keep reminding myself how inexperienced he was at the position.

Hopefully this year my patience pays off. I don't need him to be a starter, but I would love to be able to get 4 or 5 quality starts out of him. I wouldn't complain if he became a weekly starter though.

Congrats on the Harvin signing! :thumbup:
Thanks! Excited to see what he can do in the offense. Its great having a weapon like him under contract in the prime of his career. I imagine he will be a hawk for ~4 years. I do however think its best to stay on topic. Harvin has multiple 11 page threads for us to post in. This is about Tate. :hifive:

Are you guys high enough on Tate that you'd take him in a PPR redraft before guys like Givens, Broyles, Patterson, and Little?

Users who are viewing this thread