What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2 Cowboys Players involved (1 Viewer)

Bankerguy

Footballguy
Cowboys players Josh Brent and another player believed to be involved and charged with "Intoxicated Manslaughter". More to come....

Brent was booked at 4:14am Jerry Brown is the other player involved and rumors are that he is the deseased party.

Matt Barrie @Matt_Barrie

Can confirm, Josh Brent was driving the car involved in a fatal accident that killed Jerry Brown Jr. PD believes alcohol was factor.

What a POS to be driving drunk. How much do you make a year? You can't afford the taxi I do even if I have one drink?

The NFL should penalize these idiots a lot harder and get the point across.

Edit: Etiquette missed--my heart goes out to the departed's family and friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

RT @newyscruggs: Per Irving PD report #Cowboys NT Josh Brent was drunk, speeding & flipped his car, killing passenger/teammate Jerry Brown

Holy cow. Two weeks in a row with deaths of players in the NFL

Precedent tells you the game will be played

Brent had played well in Jay Ratliff's absence. I wasn't too familiar with the deceased player even being a pretty hardcore fan.

Lets see what Bob Costas has to say about this one.
I'd love to hear him speak of the drinking and driving culture. It seems that no one learns a thing from events such as this.Bottom line: drinking and driving penalties need to be a lot stronger in this country.Caught drinking and driving? You lose your license for five years, minimum.Kill someone as the result of drinking and driving? 10 years in prison, minimum.

I'd love to hear him speak of the drinking and driving culture. It seems that no one learns a thing from events such as this.Bottom line: drinking and driving penalties need to be a lot stronger in this country.Caught drinking and driving? You lose your license for five years, minimum.Kill someone as the result of drinking and driving? 10 years in prison, minimum.
Disclaimer: I'm for what you're saying to a degree.My wife and I had a discussion about this and she made the point that a large portion of the US does not have a good cab system making it difficult to hire a cab. Now that doesn't excuse people from being responsible or getting a designated driver, but there is a part of me that thinks the issue isn't necessarily because of a lack of availability as people in cities that have cab support have drunk drivers as well.Maybe the issue is as simple as cost? I don't know, but I do think there is a fundamental problem with the inability to get taxi licenses in certain cities. I mean, let anyone get a license instead of trying to restrict it and watch the prices fall.Again, stiffer fines I agree with. But let's also loosen and price down the ability to even get the cab in the first place. Maybe then we'll see more rational behavior *and* be able to make a claim that driving drunk makes even less sense.I don't know--maybe that doesn't fix the problem either. I just see it not being a deterrent the same way that capital punishment doesn't necessarily change people's behavior in those crimes either.

DUIs are a weird animal. The damage caused by them when they go wrong (and usually it's just dumb luck that prevents it) are horrific but its generally dismissed as a no harm no foul issue. Attitudes need to drastically change and punishments need to steepen. Going to 3 AA meetings and paying fines don't cut it, you need to see the damage to everyone touched by it. I'm just as guilty as anyone else. Got lucky not to hurt anyone, didn't take home the lessons learned and still let it be a possibility. I still have no idea why an NFL player doesn't arrange for a car. Money isn't an issue other than possible losses, but killing a friend is worth the taxi savings? Or even worse, killing someone who isn't at least partially liable by getting into the car with a drunk driver. It's not worth it at all, it destroys so many more people than the driver and the deceased, but its so easily dismissed, minimized and mitigated until this happens. Sucks all around.

I'd love to hear him speak of the drinking and driving culture. It seems that no one learns a thing from events such as this.Bottom line: drinking and driving penalties need to be a lot stronger in this country.

Caught drinking and driving? You lose your license for five years, minimum.

Kill someone as the result of drinking and driving? 10 years in prison, minimum.
Drunk people drive with suspended licenses all the time.

Cab availabity has very little to do with drunk driving
If they were free and you never had to wait, you're telling me someone would still drive drunk?
Of course. It's just more convenient slipping into your own car. It offers more privacy, a feeling of being in control, and you don't have to hassle with going back to get your car the next day. Not saying this is the recommended way to do this but I'm not going to be a hypocrite either. While I was not offered free no wait cab rides I've drove drunk literally hundreds of times where this accident occurred and I know a lot of those times, maybe most of the time, I'd have passed on the cab.

loool can't wait for the pages of hate and rage on this guy after an entire thread whitewashing a guy shooting his gf 9 times.

I'd love to hear him speak of the drinking and driving culture. It seems that no one learns a thing from events such as this.Bottom line: drinking and driving penalties need to be a lot stronger in this country.

Kill someone as the result of drinking and driving? 10 years in prison, minimum.
As a person who works in a criminal court, that is 100% true. And there are many 3rd and 4th offender drunk drivers.

Brent pulled Brown from burning car as police arrived

By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Published: Dec. 8, 2012 at 05:00 p.m. Updated: Dec. 8, 2012 at 05:24 p.m.

Police in Irving, Texas responding to the single-car accident involving two Dallas Cowboys players arrived at the scene early Saturday to find Josh Brent pulling teammate Jerry Brown Jr. from Brent's burning 2007 Mercedes.

Irving Police public information officer John Argumaniz provided more details on the early morning wreck that killed Brown and led to a second-degree felony charge against Brent at a press conference outside police headquarters on Saturday.

Argumaniz explained that after failing field sobriety tests, Brent was transferred to a hospital where he had blood drawn, standard procedure in cases like this. When police learned Brown had died as a result of injuries sustained in the accident, Brent's driving while intoxicated charges were altered to intoxication manslaughter.

Brent will be kept in custody at Irving police headquarters until a magistrate hearing scheduled for Sunday morning. His bond will be set at that time.

Argumaniz said evidence at the scene indicates the car was going well over the posted 45 mph-speed limit when it struck a curb, flipped at least once and slid approximately 900 feet before coming to rest on its roof in the middle of a service road. Responding officers extinguished a fire coming from the car, though the vehicle was not engulfed.

Brent suffered minor scrapes but was otherwise unharmed.

Argumaniz asked any people who may have witnessed the accident to contact Irving police.
link

Bryan Broaddus @BryanBroaddus

“@DallasMocha: @BryanBroaddus how is the team and staff after hearing the news of this morning?” Very quiet trip. We are leaving plane now

SC_DougFarrar @SC_DougFarrar

Josh Brent had a prior DUI in 2009. 60-day jail, two years probation, & plea deal wiped out aggravated DUI/no valid driver's license charge.

We as a society tolerate this crap, and we get what we deserve. I'm not exactly picketing on the weekends or writing my congressman, so I'll throw myself under the bus as well. But when are we going to stop with the slaps on the wrists and dole out serious punishments for this behavior? Or come up with some kind of preventative measure? We just don't take it seriously.The following is a post made on a basketball forum in response to Zach Randolph being arrested for a DUI 3 years ago.

im not sayin he isnt a headcase or a knuckle head because he probably is, but getting a DUI isnt exactly the proof in the pudding.its easy for us to say "oh, just get a cab, you have all this money" but think about it from a players perspective. You just invested 100,000 into the ride of your dreams. You wanna leave it outside some club overnight while you take a cab home? Or do you find it more appealing to take a smelly cab their AND back when you're probably trying to meet or pickup girls, while your luxury ride sits in the garage?it's just not realistic to expect people to do that every weekend. yeah, we can act as righteous as we want because we're on the internet and not in that position, but if we were, chances are most people here who are poo-pooing that behavior would end up doing the exact same thing.

Awful tragedy and particularly since he had a daughter on the way. I see a lot of people blaming the drunk driver, but something I haven't seen raised anywhere: how much responsibility, if any, does the deceased have for his own death if he knew the driver was drunk and he still got in the car with him? I'm not saying the driver doesn't deserve blame, but it almost seems it should be shared.

something I haven't seen raised anywhere: how much responsibility, if any, does the deceased have for his own death if he knew the driver was drunk and he still got in the car with him?
Equal if you ask me. Only thing that would give me pause, and we'll never know, is if the other person in the car was begging the driver to slow down or to be let out of the car. I'm guessing in the high 90+% of these kind of cases that's not how it goes down. As is the law treats this the same as running over someone like a truly innocent bystander walking down the street and I just don't think it should be looked at or punished the same.

something I haven't seen raised anywhere: how much responsibility, if any, does the deceased have for his own death if he knew the driver was drunk and he still got in the car with him?
Equal if you ask me. Only thing that would give me pause, and we'll never know, is if the other person in the car was begging the driver to slow down or to be let out of the car. I'm guessing in the high 90+% of these kind of cases that's not how it goes down. As is the law treats this the same as running over someone like a truly innocent bystander walking down the street and I just don't think it should be looked at or punished the same.
I agree. I'm glad it was someone who chose to get into the car with him, rather than a truly innocent bystander.

If they were free and you never had to wait, you're telling me someone would still drive drunk?
Of course. It's just more convenient slipping into your own car. It offers more privacy, a feeling of being in control, and you don't have to hassle with going back to get your car the next day.

Not saying this is the recommended way to do this but I'm not going to be a hypocrite either. While I was not offered free no wait cab rides I've drove drunk literally hundreds of times where this accident occurred and I know a lot of those times, maybe most of the time, I'd have passed on the cab.
Seriously ? Do you like living dangerously, or do you have some kind of death wish ?

Condolences to the families of those involved.
Nice sentiment, but why do people post things like this?Nobody from any of the families involved will ever read your post. Is it just a 'look at me, I care' thing?
Perhaps it's simply because he acts on the internet like he would in real life, unlike a large majority of the rest of the internet. For example, I doubt you would be nearly as rude to someone to their face when they are trying to be kind during a tragedy. But who knows, maybe you're just a #### in real life too.

As a person who works in a criminal court, that is 100% true. And there are many 3rd and 4th offender drunk drivers.
It bothers me that our society can't solve this through draconian penalties. Seems like repeat offenders really have no fear or consequence of getting caught driving suspended 5, 10, 15 times. Fines that go unpaid aren't going to cut it. After the 2nd time I'd just lock them away. There has to be a legislative solution to that problem.On drunk driving, I wonder when our society will get to the point where you have to blow for the car to start. Sure, maybe a passenger might help trick the system but more often I bet the sane/unintoxicated passenger won't, and will instead drive if it's proven the driver can't start the car. I saw another poster ask what culpability Brown has and wonder if a passenger ever really knows how drunk his/her driver is. I bet the convo went "you ok to drive?" answered with "heck yeah." Had that conversation a dozen times myself. Got to have that technology become mainstream if we really want to address this problem as a society. I sure hope they do before my children become of driving age. Time to stop with the kid gloves on this topic... relying on intoxicated persons using judgment to police themselves isn't a great game plan.

Of course. It's just more convenient slipping into your own car. It offers more privacy, a feeling of being in control, and you don't have to hassle with going back to get your car the next day.

Not saying this is the recommended way to do this but I'm not going to be a hypocrite either. While I was not offered free no wait cab rides I've drove drunk literally hundreds of times where this accident occurred and I know a lot of those times, maybe most of the time, I'd have passed on the cab.
Seriously ? Do you like living dangerously, or do you have some kind of death wish ?
The last number that a friend from AA gave me was that on average the ratio number times driven legally drunk to arrested for drunk drving is like 75-80 to 1. Actually, society has improved in the area, drink limits used to be higher and a generation ago i was commom to here the phrase "have one for the road." We've grown past some of that, but most people who drink publically have driven drunk legally.

Nice sentiment, but why do people post things like this?Nobody from any of the families involved will ever read your post. Is it just a 'look at me, I care' thing?
Perhaps it's simply because he acts on the internet like he would in real life, unlike a large majority of the rest of the internet. For example, I doubt you would be nearly as rude to someone to their face when they are trying to be kind during a tragedy. But who knows, maybe you're just a #### in real life too.
Or... it's a "look how great I am, I am rising above the idiot posters" that really serves no purpose.

Disclaimer: I'm for what you're saying to a degree.My wife and I had a discussion about this and she made the point that a large portion of the US does not have a good cab system making it difficult to hire a cab. Now that doesn't excuse people from being responsible or getting a designated driver, but there is a part of me that thinks the issue isn't necessarily because of a lack of availability as people in cities that have cab support have drunk drivers as well.Maybe the issue is as simple as cost? I don't know, but I do think there is a fundamental problem with the inability to get taxi licenses in certain cities. I mean, let anyone get a license instead of trying to restrict it and watch the prices fall.Again, stiffer fines I agree with. But let's also loosen and price down the ability to even get the cab in the first place. Maybe then we'll see more rational behavior *and* be able to make a claim that driving drunk makes even less sense.I don't know--maybe that doesn't fix the problem either. I just see it not being a deterrent the same way that capital punishment doesn't necessarily change people's behavior in those crimes either.
You can tell who lives in the city and who doesn't.In the country and even really really small towns there is no one around for miles and after 8pm you don't see anyone else on the roads basically ever. Does this excuse drunk driving? No but at the same point people that live from these parts don't really see it as an issue at all. Heck drinking while driving is even acceptable by some.Wisconsin for instance has some of the most laxed DUI laws on the books. The first 3 times are basically just fines and nothing more, except the night in the tank.Also note 99.9999999999% of the time a person drives drunk there is no issue at all. It just takes that 1 time to make the law needed because of the huge issues it can cause. I would bet by the time someone gets caught for DUI they have already broke the law 20-50 times prior to that night. The only way to snuff this out would be that when walking into a bar you had to hand over your keys and pass a breathalyzer before you got them back to leave.

Or... it's a "look how great I am, I am rising above the idiot posters" that really serves no purpose.
It's called showing compassion and there is nothing wrong with it. I don't know the guy who passed, but after reading his recent tweet, I feel bad for his loved ones.

First our guns, now our liquor, Costas is out to ruin our lives.

How hard is it to hire a driver?

Users who are viewing this thread