What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (2 Viewers)

rickyg

Footballguy
The other thread is titled that he's a baby and needs to grow up (and I couldn't find it) so I started this one. This guy has single handedly catapulted his owners into the playoffs and past their week 14 opponents. And e did it against a tough Atlanta defense. He is straight up ballin!

Thanks cam!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's safe to say that there is no doubting this kids abilities anymore. And the nfl figured him out stuff is bs. He needed better play calling and to grow up a little and I think he went trough those growing pains this year.

This mofo is about to knock me out of the playoffs two weeks after costing me my leagues first place reg. season title and $500.

Damn you, Cam....

Was gonna post something similar but with title of "QB1 over the past 4 weeks is ..."

I haven't looked but its gotta be Cam.

He looks great. Patience has paid off for owners. He's pretty much matchup proof at this point.

Was gonna post something similar but with title of "QB1 over the past 4 weeks is ..."I haven't looked but its gotta be Cam. He looks great. Patience has paid off for owners. He's pretty much matchup proof at this point.
Yes and 2 great matchups on tap in weeks 15 as 16 I believe.

He never went anywhere :shrug: The offensive play calling's been terrible all year. Only dopes read into him putting a towel on his head etc. As was said in the other thread, he'll be fine.

ETA: And the play calling was affecting the running game as well. If this staff is kept, there are going to be a lot of upset fans. The only one worth keeping is the DC and even then arguments can be made against that.

He never went anywhere :shrug: The offensive play calling's been terrible all year. Only dopes read into him putting a towel on his head etc. As was said in the other thread, he'll be fine.ETA: And the play calling was affecting the running game as well. If this staff is kept, there are going to be a lot of upset fans. The only one worth keeping is the DC and even then arguments can be made against that.
Gotta think if Rivera is sacked that Carolina and Cam would be Chip Kelly's top choice.

He never went anywhere :shrug: The offensive play calling's been terrible all year. Only dopes read into him putting a towel on his head etc. As was said in the other thread, he'll be fine.ETA: And the play calling was affecting the running game as well. If this staff is kept, there are going to be a lot of upset fans. The only one worth keeping is the DC and even then arguments can be made against that.
I think that most of us fans are considering a staff change as a given. I've been shocked before, but this would be high on the list of shockers if Rivera and his staff hang around.

Played terrible when the expectations were high and pressure was on, started playing well when the pressure cooled. I'm back to I'll believe it when I see him do it when the pressure is on again. So, he will not be on my team's again next year. Those that take the dive, good luck. For a while there I was thinking his value may tank so much that I roll the dice, but beginning to doubt that happens now.

Played terrible when the expectations were high and pressure was on, started playing well when the pressure cooled. I'm back to I'll believe it when I see him do it when the pressure is on again. So, he will not be on my team's again next year. Those that take the dive, good luck. For a while there I was thinking his value may tank so much that I roll the dice, but beginning to doubt that happens now.
There is no denying that his mental makeup is his biggest liability. He is his own worst enemy. I agree that no matter how he finishes this season he will go into 2013 with a lot of question marks. I'm just enjoying the ride right now though. It's pretty awesome!

Watched him all year. First half his accuracy was flat out awful. It wasn't just drops. He was missing simple down and outs by 10 yards where open receivers didn't even get a hand on the ball. Fast forward the last month and he has been a different player. Throwing lasers with accuracy and running like a man possessed. The scary part is he could be scoring MORE points. He's avoiding turnovers shoos miss is overthrowing so nobody gets the ball. Several receivers have had 2 steps deep but he's being cautious.

Traded for him when he was stinking up the joint for Vick when both owners wanted to exorcize demons. Lets just say I was happy to have made that deal. Eli is riding the pine as long as I'm alive.

Depending what happens with Brady tomorrow, Newton is either the #1 or #2 scoring player in all of FF since week 7 in my league.

He's #6 overall for the season, and within 1ppg of Rodgers, Manning, and RG3 over the 14 weeks.

I guess there will always be doubters.

'proninja said:
You think there was less pressure on him earlier in the season than there is after he started the season poorly?Really?You actually think that?
When you're out of playoff contention, yes, there is less pressure on you to perform. Facing adversity in the midst of a playoff push is a lot different than when you're playing for next season. Show up at the opener and the spotlight game vs. the Giants then carry that through the entire season, don't choke then re-emerge in meaningless post Thanksgiving games. Every player is going to have bad games, but the first half of the season is as much on him as it is the coaching and the defense.Carolina needs to hire a take-####-from-no-one sorta guy to run this team next year, see how Cam responds. He'll either crack or flourish, probably no middle ground, but it's the right thing to do. Otherwise, he will just float on his potential for 5...6...however many years even if it's more bad than good because when he's on he is unstoppable.

Cam only had 3 bad games. The media is making it seem like every one of his earlier games were terrible.

Depending what happens with Brady tomorrow, Newton is either the #1 or #2 scoring player in all of FF since week 7 in my league. He's #6 overall for the season, and within 1ppg of Rodgers, Manning, and RG3 over the 14 weeks. I guess there will always be doubters.
In my 4 pt passing league, he is number 2, only behind RG3, by a 1/3 of a PPG.

:thumbup: :goodposting:

Anyone who actually watched the earlier games knows that the play calling severely limited him earlier in the season. He struggled at times, but the terrible offensive gameplan put him behind the eight ball in every game.

During the bye week, they changed things and moved from the the overly complex gameplan to a more standard one. He has been playing well ever since.

Anyone who actually watched the earlier games knows that the play calling severely limited him earlier in the season. He struggled at times, but the terrible offensive gameplan put him behind the eight ball in every game. During the bye week, they changed things and moved from the the overly complex gameplan to a more standard one. He has been playing well ever since.
Exactly. Also, I'm not sure why everyone thinks the pressure is not on. Most of the players and staff are playing for their jobs at this point.

Anyone who actually watched the earlier games knows that the play calling severely limited him earlier in the season. He struggled at times, but the terrible offensive gameplan put him behind the eight ball in every game. During the bye week, they changed things and moved from the the overly complex gameplan to a more standard one. He has been playing well ever since.
His 3 game hot streak has beena defeated PHI teamKCATL (who he scored 35 fp on w4)His bad games have beenNYGSEACHIThe first 5 games after the bye are not much different than the 5 games before the bye. A lot of turnovers, mediocre rushing stats. He has destroyed + matchups all year, he just didn't have very many of them.

This is a simplistic POV in my opinion.ATL is the main "rival" for Carolina these days. I'm confident the pressure is still there in games like this. It's not like these defense are applying any less pressure now than they were before because of the Carolina record. I just don't buy that :shrug:He had a ton of distractions earlier in the year as well. His teammates didn't much care for him. That's for sure. The play calling put him in no win situations. That's for sure. The media was bagging on him and still is. I'm not aware of any pieces on him recently after he's begun to improve. He's begun fixing relationships with his teammates and the play calling certainly has changed (yesterday's a perfect example).

His 3 game hot streak has beena defeated PHI teamKCATL (who he scored 35 fp on w4)His bad games have beenNYGSEACHIThe first 5 games after the bye are not much different than the 5 games before the bye. A lot of turnovers, mediocre rushing stats. He has destroyed + matchups all year, he just didn't have very many of them.
His stats since the halfway point, week 8: 11 pass TDs 4 rush TDs 2INTS 253 pass yards per game 55 rushing yards per gameOn the schedule for 15 + 16 are Chargers, RaidersHe has to be the #1 fantasy QB option right now

It's not as simple as his schedule. And Atlanta had just picked Brees 5 times. There were plenty of + matchups in which he didn't put up great stats.

Lets face it guys. Cam is a rare talent. An elite athlete. But a winner is made up of the elite rate physical talent plus the mental make up. If he displayed similar character qualities to rgIII I don't think anyone would be doubting him. They would be blaming the coaching and play calling a lot more. Newton has the potential to be the best qb the nfl has ever seen if he keeps his head on right. Or he has the potential to be the next Jamarcus russel or Ryan leaf if he doesn't.

I'm a fan of his and he is the anchor of my dynasty team. But I can understand where all the criticism comes from. Forget about the few games where he looked horrible this year. So what he made some errant throws and threw a few ints? Brees threw FIVE ints v atl 2 weeks ago before cam torches them. Does that make Brees a bad qb or a great qb who had a bad game? Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Eli...all of the best qbs put up stinkers here and there. I am sure that Rodgers owners are not too happy after last night.

It's all about newtons character for me. He has proven that he can dominate at the nfl level.

Lets face it guys. Cam is a rare talent. An elite athlete. But a winner is made up of the elite rate physical talent plus the mental make up. If he displayed similar character qualities to rgIII I don't think anyone would be doubting him. They would be blaming the coaching and play calling a lot more. Newton has the potential to be the best qb the nfl has ever seen if he keeps his head on right. Or he has the potential to be the next Jamarcus russel or Ryan leaf if he doesn't. I'm a fan of his and he is the anchor of my dynasty team. But I can understand where all the criticism comes from. Forget about the few games where he looked horrible this year. So what he made some errant throws and threw a few ints? Brees threw FIVE ints v atl 2 weeks ago before cam torches them. Does that make Brees a bad qb or a great qb who had a bad game? Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Eli...all of the best qbs put up stinkers here and there. I am sure that Rodgers owners are not too happy after last night. It's all about newtons character for me. He has proven that he can dominate at the nfl level.
Those that compare him to Russell and Ryan need to take deeper look. It's a lazy, simple comparison, in my opinion. Ryan Leaf and Jemarcus Russell didn't care enough about football or winning to be great. Call Cam what you want, but he clearly does. Ryan Leaf blew off a meeting with the Indianapolis Colts, who very well could have drafted him number 1 overall. Cam Newton showed up at the combine, when the other top option didn't, to compete and try to answer questions. Newton is a hard worker that hates losing. Leaf and Russell were too apathetic about playing football for a living to even stay in the league. Compare him to Jay Cutler or Philip Rivers, if you'd like. But this is really what it comes down to: if Newton is good enough to win games, his personality will be used as the reason for it. If he isn't, same thing. Ben Roethlisberger, AFTER winning a Super Bowl, had teammates publically calling him out for lack of leadership; they said he cared more about his motorcycles than his teammates. A second Super bowl, and 2 trips later, what do his teammates have to say? From a fantasy perspective, I think it's a bit silly to analyze these guys' personalities to this degree. "Selfish, towel wearing, gum chewing, superman-ing points" count just as much as Tom Brady points in my league.ETA: Not really directed at the quoted. The Russel/Leaf mention just prompted me to share my opinion on the matter.

Lets face it guys. Cam is a rare talent. An elite athlete. But a winner is made up of the elite rate physical talent plus the mental make up. If he displayed similar character qualities to rgIII I don't think anyone would be doubting him. They would be blaming the coaching and play calling a lot more. Newton has the potential to be the best qb the nfl has ever seen if he keeps his head on right. Or he has the potential to be the next Jamarcus russel or Ryan leaf if he doesn't.

I'm a fan of his and he is the anchor of my dynasty team. But I can understand where all the criticism comes from. Forget about the few games where he looked horrible this year. So what he made some errant throws and threw a few ints? Brees threw FIVE ints v atl 2 weeks ago before cam torches them. Does that make Brees a bad qb or a great qb who had a bad game? Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Eli...all of the best qbs put up stinkers here and there. I am sure that Rodgers owners are not too happy after last night.

It's all about newtons character for me. He has proven that he can dominate at the nfl level.
Do the people making these type of comments actually watch Cam play? It seems clear his floor is much higher than these guys.

From a fantasy perspective, I think it's a bit silly to analyze these guys' personalities to this degree.
Exactly. Looks like Cam's first 2 years starting will be better than Rodgers first 2 years starting fantasy wise. As Chase Stuart has pointed out recently in an article, there are 2 stats that strongly point toward the Panthers being underrated. 1) Panthers are 0-7 in 1 score games this year. 2) Cam's YPA numbers are borderline historically good. Both numbers have a history of showing up in the win column eventually.

Do the people making these type of comments actually watch Cam play? It seems clear his floor is much higher than these guys.
To clarify I do believe in cam and agree that his talent level is light years beyond leaf and Russell. I'm a betting man and my wagon is hitched to cam as the anchor of my dynasty team. With that said I was giving 2 extremes, one being that he becomes the best qb ever to grace the nfl or that his attitude makes him a locker room cancer that eventually causes his early retirement BC no teams want or need that. But I do not believe the latter will happen.

Cam had more than a fair share of criticism and seething hate thrown his way in the fort half of this season. The fact that he responded by changing his attitude with his teammates and taking his in the field performance up to an elite notch speaks very well to his ability to rise up to challenges.

This is a simplistic POV in my opinion.ATL is the main "rival" for Carolina these days. I'm confident the pressure is still there in games like this. It's not like these defense are applying any less pressure now than they were before because of the Carolina record. I just don't buy that :shrug:
He is also from there and puts great pressure on himself to perform well against that team so he can talk smack and not catch guff when he goes home.

Btw rt now in my standard scoring league newton sits at #3 behind Brees and rg3. After Brady plays tonight he will be #4.

He is only 6 points behind rg3 and everyone has been raving about rg3 all year. It just took a little while for newton to put it together this year but the truth is he is every bit as good as rg3. They are different players BC of the size difference though. But cams size makes him a much better GL threat and makes him more durable/able to take hits which makes him perhaps even a bit more valuable in dynasty formats. The only thing that keeps people from seeing/admitting this are his character concerns.

To clarify I do believe in cam and agree that his talent level is light years beyond leaf and Russell. I'm a betting man and my wagon is hitched to cam as the anchor of my dynasty team. With that said I was giving 2 extremes, one being that he becomes the best qb ever to grace the nfl or that his attitude makes him a locker room cancer that eventually causes his early retirement BC no teams want or need that. But I do not believe the latter will happen.Cam had more than a fair share of criticism and seething hate thrown his way in the fort half of this season. The fact that he responded by changing his attitude with his teammates and taking his in the field performance up to an elite notch speaks very well to his ability to rise up to challenges.
I don't disagree that there are red flags; I don't like the way he seems to sulk, at times. But there is an example of that causing an early retirement? Leaf and Jamarcus are often thrown around, but there is nothing about their situations that suggests Cam could follow; Cam cares about playing football. The closest example I can think of - and it is hard because we have more access now than even 5-7 years ago - is Jay Cutler. I think they are different people with different personalities, but Cutler is a guy that historically hasn't reacted well to losses (and trade rumors). Has that affected his play? If so, if the Bears moved on today, how many teams would be lined up at the door? How bad does a person's reaction to adversity, in the form of off field actions, have to be to force them into retirement? If we added 10 points a game to Jay Cutler, would he not be a top scoring player, and high end dynasty option, as Cam is today?

Exactly. Also, I'm not sure why everyone thinks the pressure is not on. Most of the players and staff are playing for their jobs at this point.
Cam is not, whoever comes in the offseason will be first asked - can you work with Cam?Those looking at the good games vs. the bad games are missing a lot of Cam's problems amidst the good statistical games. Chud has done him zero favors, having seen Chud in action before I'm not surprised, but Cam has not helped his own cause. He plateaued this year as a passer - lots of issues from feet, to pre snap reads, to reading the field post snap, to decision making, to even execution down field. He seems to be looking for the big play instead of what's in front of him. A lot that needs to be fixed before next season. I liked that risk given the upside based on his perceived value a few weeks ago. Pair him with a Tannehill or Wilson type, but his value has bounced back so I'll roll the dice elsewhere. There's lots of strong QB's in this league, pick the ones you're comfortable with for the right price.

Cam is not, whoever comes in the offseason will be first asked - can you work with Cam?Those looking at the good games vs. the bad games are missing a lot of Cam's problems amidst the good statistical games. Chud has done him zero favors, having seen Chud in action before I'm not surprised, but Cam has not helped his own cause. He plateaued this year as a passer - lots of issues from feet, to pre snap reads, to reading the field post snap, to decision making, to even execution down field. He seems to be looking for the big play instead of what's in front of him. A lot that needs to be fixed before next season. I liked that risk given the upside based on his perceived value a few weeks ago. Pair him with a Tannehill or Wilson type, but his value has bounced back so I'll roll the dice elsewhere. There's lots of strong QB's in this league, pick the ones you're comfortable with for the right price.
You're really going out of your way to justify your dislike of the guy, or previous claims you made suggesting that he won't do well. Steve Young just got done praising Newton's footwork, suggesting he'd be really excited to work with him and make a few minor changes. I'll take his word for it. Your claim that he is looking for the big play, as a negative, displays a basic misunderstanding of the Panthers offense. Him looking for the big play, to balance the running game via play-action, is him simply doing what is asked of him.

He plateaued this year as a passer - lots of issues from feet, to pre snap reads, to reading the field post snap, to decision making, to even execution down field. He seems to be looking for the big play instead of what's in front of him. A lot that needs to be fixed before next season.
plateaued and projected to finish with 3,963 pass yards 29 total TDs 12 ints and probably a better QB rating than year 1

You're really going out of your way to justify your dislike of the guy, or previous claims you made suggesting that he won't do well. Steve Young just got done praising Newton's footwork, suggesting he'd be really excited to work with him and make a few minor changes. I'll take his word for it. Your claim that he is looking for the big play, as a negative, displays a basic misunderstanding of the Panthers offense. Him looking for the big play, to balance the running game via play-action, is him simply doing what is asked of him.
If you think I said he won't do well then you're guilty of selective reading. My stance has always been I don't think the risk/reward is worth it given the alternatives, nothing's changed.

He plateaued this year as a passer - lots of issues from feet, to pre snap reads, to reading the field post snap, to decision making, to even execution down field. He seems to be looking for the big play instead of what's in front of him. A lot that needs to be fixed before next season.
plateaued and projected to finish with 3,963 pass yards 29 total TDs 12 ints and probably a better QB rating than year 1
Blanket numbers don't tell the whole story, I've not liked a lot of what I've seen and PFF has data that I believe supports at least some of it. Will definitely dig into it more in the offseason though, we'll see how the next 3 weeks go.

If you think I said he won't do well then you're guilty of selective reading. My stance has always been I don't think the risk/reward is worth it given the alternatives, nothing's changed.
I have never suggested that your opinion has changed. I suggested that you're going out of your way to justify not changing your opinion. How risky would he need to be not to be ranked in the top 10 dynasty QBs? How much risk would there need to be to justify not valuing a 23 year old with a top 10 QB season ever, followed by another top 2-3 season? How much more upside does he need to display before we stop looking at his personality quirks and analyzing them, as if the NFL is just going to black ball him for pouting?Yet, you're claiming he is only playing well now because he is out of the playoff race and there is no pressure. Yet, last year, he had his best 4 game stretch EARLY in the season, when there would be pressure, right? I think that is selective criteria, right there.

Blanket numbers don't tell the whole story, I've not liked a lot of what I've seen and PFF has data that I believe supports at least some of it. Will definitely dig into it more in the offseason though, we'll see how the next 3 weeks go.
Blanket numbers are the only kind of stat applied towards points in the leagues that I play in.

Last year it was: "Cam stunk the 2nd half because defenses have figured him out"

Now its: "Stunk the 1st half because he can't play when the pressure is on"

Last year it was: "Cam stunk the 2nd half because defenses have figured him out"Now its: "Stunk the 1st half because he can't play when the pressure is on"
Just last week someone said something along the lines of: "RG3 is going to 'come back down to earth' when defenses figure him out - just like Cam."

I have never suggested that your opinion has changed. I suggested that you're going out of your way to justify not changing your opinion. How risky would he need to be not to be ranked in the top 10 dynasty QBs? How much risk would there need to be to justify not valuing a 23 year old with a top 10 QB season ever, followed by another top 2-3 season? How much more upside does he need to display before we stop looking at his personality quirks and analyzing them, as if the NFL is just going to black ball him for pouting?Yet, you're claiming he is only playing well now because he is out of the playoff race and there is no pressure. Yet, last year, he had his best 4 game stretch EARLY in the season, when there would be pressure, right? I think that is selective criteria, right there.
Dynasty is completely different, I'm talking just for 2013. If he were the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th QB off the board as I was beginning to think he might be then I was going to consider taking the dive. I really don't want any part of him in dyno, not for what his owners will demand. Re, pressure. I don't think there wasn't pressure for him to produce early, people were excited but he was a special athlete with warts in most people's eyes coming out. If he had started off poorly and progressed as the season went on he would have been considered a year 1 success. Carolina had no playoff aspirations entering last year, so the pressure wasn't there early. It was more, show us what you can do kid, and he did. Then as expectations increased his play became more spotty and as the losses piled up his frustration could be seen, on and off the field. That carried over into the beginning of this year. It's just now going away. Is it because the pressure is off? or is he maturing? Depends what you thought about him a year or two ago. The optimists are going to trend towards maturing, those who were down on him like me aren't. It makes sense.Comfort factor is something I think more owners need to consider when picking players for your team. If Cam has a rough few games, has a blow up at a press conference, and has teammates talking behind his back you're going to stick with him whereas I am going to panic. I have dealt with Antonio Gates for years, lots of owners can't stomach the thought of it. Yes, he's special when he's on the field, but too often he's not and those 4 o clock west coast games drives some owners crazy. They aren't comfortable whereas I am, take the good with the bad, and make sure I always have a plan B on standby. Finally burned me this year, but he gave me 5 good years and two titles, I'd say that's worth it. I was also willing to deal with the headaches, don't think I would be with Cam, and it really comes down to the alternatives at the QB position. They are plentiful whereas at TE they usually are not.

Last year it was: "Cam stunk the 2nd half because defenses have figured him out"Now its: "Stunk the 1st half because he can't play when the pressure is on"
Just last week someone said something along the lines of: "RG3 is going to 'come back down to earth' when defenses figure him out - just like Cam."
Big RG3 fan and it's because I trust his head, comes back to the comfort factor. As he encounters hurdles I believe he will cross them, I don't think Cam will. Both have good deep balls (RG3's is better) and both are great runner's (but Cam is bigger), who are you more comfortable with? I think they have the same ceiling, but RG3's floor is much, much, much higher.

Blanket numbers are the only kind of stat applied towards points in the leagues that I play in.
I believe there are a lot better ways to predict future performance than just the amount of yards, TD's, INT's, and fumbles a player accumulated in a given season. Can't earn points for production that's already done.

I believe there are a lot better ways to predict future performance than just the amount of yards, TD's, INT's, and fumbles a player accumulated in a given season. Can't earn points for production that's already done.
Past production is a very good indicator of future production. Likely the best. In his ONLY 2 NFL seasons, Newton has, or will, finish top 5. What do you look at that suggests that won't be a regular thing for him?

Users who are viewing this thread