Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
rickyg

Cam Newton

2 hours ago, Dizzy said:

Just saw the clip from his post game presser... man you can see/hear the dejection, and it's not the old "pouty, just lost a game" dejected Cam... this was a "no idea what the future holds and that's scary" Cam. He actually said he does not have the strength in his arm to make the throws and more/less indicated that nobody knows what's wrong with his shoulder.

Watching Cam out there last night was exactly like watching post-thoracic outlet surgery Matt Harvey. Right down to the same look of dejected bewilderment on his face, like the laws of physics had all of a sudden stopped working the same way they were the first 10,000 times he made that exact throw.

He isn't gonna pull himself out of the lineup but here's hoping Rivera or the front office is smart enough to do it for him. I have a bad feeling he'll be back under the knife within a month.

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Watching Cam out there last night was exactly like watching post-thoracic outlet surgery Matt Harvey. Right down to the same look of dejected bewilderment on his face, like the laws of physics had all of a sudden stopped working the same way they were the first 10,000 times he made that exact throw.

He isn't gonna pull himself out of the lineup but here's hoping Rivera or the front office is smart enough to do it for him. I have a bad feeling he'll be back under the knife within a month.

I cannot believe they haven't shut him down. You've got your franchise QB and former MVP looking like he's throwing with the wrong arm. I don't see how delaying whatever process is needed to evaluate/fix/rehab helps anyone.

Edited by Dizzy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dizzy said:

I cannot believe they haven't shut him down. You've got your franchise QB and former MVP looking like he's throwing with the wrong arm. I don't see how delaying whatever process is needed to evaluate/fix/rehab helps anyone.

according to rotoworld it is being floated. only problem is they are saying they will discuss later in the week. don't they realize waivers are tonight!!!!!

Cam Newton - QB - Panthers

Ron Rivera hasn't ruled out shutting down Cam Newton (shoulder) for the season.

Newton is visibly playing through shoulder pain, and Rivera plans to meet with Newton later in the week to find out where he is "in terms of his physical state and mental state." Rivera declined to comment further, but it opens the door to a late trip to the Injured Reserve. The Panthers have put Newton on a practice pitch count and medication to try to mask the unknown shoulder injury, but Newton said his shoulder is not getting better. If he remains active, the Panthers will continue their dink-and-dunk attack. Newton didn't attempt a single pass more than 20 yards downfield on Monday.

19 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I'm going to try and trade this guy in the off-season.  Glad I only own him in one league.

Just a bad time to trade him unfortunately but I don't blame you. Guessing a mid to late 2nd is probably all he'd bring in a standard league though 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers are shutting down Cam Newton (shoulder) for the rest of the season.

Taylor Heinicke will apparently get the start this week against the Falcons and the finale against the Saints. Newton hasn't looked healthy for weeks now, and with the 6-8 Panthers circling the drain having lost six straight and virtually eliminated from the playoff hunt, it makes sense to sit their injured star quarterback. We'd guess Newton needs another surgery on his right shoulder.

And just like that Carolina WRs value goes from best SOS in playoffs to pudding.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

I’m watching Henieke clips on YouTube... this is going to be a Peterman-esk performance. I’m actually concerned about CMC going into this game.

hmm I was under the impression he was pretty impressive in the pre-season. I have DJ Moore too, and it can't be any worse then Monday's game. Just hard to read what the motivation of the team will be. if I knew they were motivated and coming out strong, I would feel fine starting the Panthers against the Falcons at home

Just now, modogg said:

hmm I was under the impression he was pretty impressive in the pre-season. I have DJ Moore too, and it can't be any worse then Monday's game. Just hard to read what the motivation of the team will be. if I knew they were motivated and coming out strong, I would feel fine starting the Panthers against the Falcons at home

Guy was launching the ball ten feet over the RB’s head on screens. I don’t think he is very good. Any player is allowed to grow though. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Iceman03 said:

Guy was launching the ball ten feet over the RB’s head on screens. I don’t think he is very good. Any player is allowed to grow though. 

I am guessing he was getting a lot of practice reps the past few weeks when Cam would only practice one time a week. it is hard betting on this for the championship game, but I was in deep with Carolina with Cam, CMC, and Moore, so I am sure I will have some piece of them in this game

19 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

Officially done for the year per NFL Twitter & other sources.

one week too late

-cam newton fantasy owners

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

And just like that Carolina WRs value goes from best SOS in playoffs to pudding.

Actually this is a huge upgrade for them

Speaking Tuesday, Panthers owner David Tepper said he had "no idea" if Cam Newton would undergo offseason shoulder surgery.

Looking perhaps 60-70 percent healthy down the stretch because of his shoulder, Newton was held out for Weeks 16 and 17. Newton underwent shoulder surgery following the 2016 season and has not ruled out another operation. The time to decide will be soon, though rest and rehab is always the preferable course. The problem is it often fails.

Source: Joseph Person on Twitter 

Jan 15 - 5:23 PM

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

Its amazing to me that in todays world of medicine that they cannot figure out what the issue and solution is with his shoulder.

I broke my scapula a couple months ago. It was a relatively minor injury and didn't require surgery, but as I finish up my final PT sessions this week, my main takeaway is that the shoulder is a much more complex machine than I had ever realized. It may well be the most mechanically complex part of the body in terms of the range of muscles and tendons that need to work together. All of which is to say that I have no idea of the specifics of Cam's injury, but I have a better appreciation than would have had a couple months ago as to why it's so hard to figure out (same applies to Andrew Luck).

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I broke my scapula a couple months ago. It was a relatively minor injury and didn't require surgery, but as I finish up my final PT sessions this week, my main takeaway is that the shoulder is a much more complex machine than I had ever realized. It may well be the most mechanically complex part of the body in terms of the range of muscles and tendons that need to work together. All of which is to say that I have no idea of the specifics of Cam's injury, but I have a better appreciation than would have had a couple months ago as to why it's so hard to figure out (same applies to Andrew Luck).

I agree..... I had shoulder surgery many years ago, 1992...Rotator Cuff, Impingement, Clavicle retraction.  It took me about 3 years to be able to swing a baseball bat effectively (softball league stuff).  PT was 6 weeks & I was pain free, but my physical ability was nowhere near the same.  I was a competitive swimmer in youth (think 1978-1980 AAU qualifier/pre-Olympic qualifications) and it was over a year until I could get back to my normal swimming routine.... it just would not work the same way....but all the "range of motion & strength testings" were fine ...Ortho surgeon said all the parts are good, I just needed to "retrain" my muscles. 

Back to Cam... being able to say what is not working right is one thing, but being able to diagnose the "cause" might not be so easy.  It could be a complicated combination of nerves & tendons just not cooperating! 

2 minutes ago, Birdie048 said:

I agree..... I had shoulder surgery many years ago, 1992...Rotator Cuff, Impingement, Clavicle retraction.  It took me about 3 years to be able to swing a baseball bat effectively (softball league stuff).  PT was 6 weeks & I was pain free, but my physical ability was nowhere near the same.  I was a competitive swimmer in youth (think 1978-1980 AAU qualifier/pre-Olympic qualifications) and it was over a year until I could get back to my normal swimming routine.... it just would not work the same way....but all the "range of motion & strength testings" were fine ...Ortho surgeon said all the parts are good, I just needed to "retrain" my muscles. 

Back to Cam... being able to say what is not working right is one thing, but being able to diagnose the "cause" might not be so easy.  It could be a complicated combination of nerves & tendons just not cooperating! 

Yes exactly! My range of motion is pretty much back to normal. Strength still needs some work, but by far the bigger issue is retraining all the different components to engage properly. Usually when you do a bunch of reps, it gets harder as you go due to fatigue. But I've had a few exercises where the later reps were actually easier as all of the muscles found their old groove.

Anyway, not a Panthers fan, but Cam is an exciting player and for the league's sake (and his!) I hope he recovers fully.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, zftcg said:

Yes exactly! My range of motion is pretty much back to normal. Strength still needs some work, but by far the bigger issue is retraining all the different components to engage properly. Usually when you do a bunch of reps, it gets harder as you go due to fatigue. But I've had a few exercises where the later reps were actually easier as all of the muscles found their old groove.

Anyway, not a Panthers fan, but Cam is an exciting player and for the league's sake (and his!) I hope he recovers fully.

Couple what you are going through with strength and conditioning with actually learning to throw again with any accuracy or velocity.  I had a labrum tear that took them years to find (actually went in for surgery for rotator cuff impingement and then they found the labral tear).  Even with all the PT it took a very long time before I could throw normally again.  Bottom line, shoulders are very complicated.

• Like 1

Its injuries to a completely different part of the body, but from a career perspective standpoint, I'm starting to get a little worried that Newton might be going in the Culpepper direction, where when/if the physical dominance falls off, there isn't really anything to fall back on.

Cam Newton (shoulder) hopes to be cleared for throwing at OTAs.

This confirms Newton's clean-up surgery was minor. Newton looks unlikely to do much at April's OTAs, but he's on track to be ready for training camp.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jan 25 - 7:04 PM

Speaking in a Thursday interview, Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Cam Newton (arthroscopic shoulder surgery) has already shown "marked improvement."

"I was there on one of his recovery days when (Newton) was working out," Rivera said. "And one of the things he did say was that he has gotten a lot of range of motion back. So that was exciting to hear." Rivera went on to say Newton's operation was "as minimally invasive as possible." Newton had scar tissue cleared out while doctors searched for other problems. They didn't find any. It sounds like Newton could be a full participant in the Panthers' offseason program.

Source: Charlotte Observer 

Jan 31 - 3:34 PM