rickyg

Cam Newton

1,306 posts in this topic

You aren't watching the tape if you think Cam's issues are with the deep ball. Its his intermediate stuff that needs the work.

Intermediate's not good either, anything over 15 yards is usually an adventure, except in cases like the Philly game in which DB's just forgot to cover people. I've watched Giants, Falcons round 1, Seahawks, Bears, Broncos, and Eagles are the games I've watched beginning to end. God awful, better but spotty - numbers > performance, God awful round 2, God awful round 3, not good, and my God the Eagles are awful are the summaries of those games.

Looking through the game log he has abused his last 3 opponents with awful defenses and put up big #'s against Atlanta in an up and down performance, otherwise his fantasy production (noting the games I didn't actually watch, only read up on) is a result of his rushing numbers, not his QB performance. Long term, that's not encouraging.

:shock:

Atlanta was an up and down performance?

ESPN tabbed his 98QBR as the second best QBR performance of the year behind only Brady's 304 4td vs STL

Last week Brees put up a 28QBR vs Atlanta

IIRC he benefited from 2 or 3 huge plays, but also had several stalled drives on his shoulders too. Made the big plays, but not the ones to keep drives alive. That's why I said up and down.
Thats pretty much false

First drive, 11plays 77 yards, TD in 7:11

2nd drive, 17 plays 72 yards, FG 9:17

3rd drive, 7 plays 31 yards, FG in 3:45

4th drive, 13 plays 64 yards, FG in 3:35

5th drive, 4 plays 86 yards, TD in 2:08

6th drive, 4 plays 22 yards, punt in 2:10

7th drive, 9 plays 37 yards, punt in 4:40

8th drive, 4 plays 60 yards, TD in 2:08

IIRC he benefited from 2 or 3 huge plays, but also had several stalled drives on his shoulders too. Made the big plays, but not the ones to keep drives alive. That's why I said up and down.

Several stalled drives? Like the Packers last night? What does that say about Rodgers? Should I be worried? Sell? And Matt Ryan and Drew Brees too.
Unfair to compare Rodgers and Brees to Cam, so much great in their samples to reference. Re their recent struggles I think Brees just misses Payton, Rodgers' recent issues are a product of defenses forcing the Packers to run based on their defensive schemes. I wonder if the Packers finally figured it out last night, big TD drive in the 2nd half done completely on the ground. They've been running more recently and with success, curious to see what happens in the next 3 games. I'm not convinced Matt Ryan is a better dice roll than Cam, so won't argue there. Upside is obviously lower, but is it high enough to justify him over a riskier Cam? Not sure, something I'll look into this offseason.

I've never been one to take other player's numbers and compare them vs. others to come to a conclusion, don't think that's a good way to determine future success. For every Eli Manning there are 19 David Carr's. You have to take all the pros and negatives about a player then continue to re-evaluate them vs. what they have done to see if they're progressing.

This makes no sense. You're going so far out of your way to bend criteria to make him look bad."It doesn't matter that he's had one of the best PASSING two year stretches for a rookie/2nd year plaer; better than many who went on to be great."Your criteria is as fluid as you need it to be to make your point; when it doesn't, it's discarded. There is nothing solid you're bringing to the conversation. I would be interested in hearing from someone that questions Newton's production with rational, concrete criteria. But, I'll need to keep looking, apparently. Edited by Concept Coop

Thats pretty much falseFirst drive, 11plays 77 yards, TD in 7:112nd drive, 17 plays 72 yards, FG 9:173rd drive, 7 plays 31 yards, FG in 3:454th drive, 13 plays 64 yards, FG in 3:355th drive, 4 plays 86 yards, TD in 2:086th drive, 4 plays 22 yards, punt in 2:107th drive, 9 plays 37 yards, punt in 4:408th drive, 4 plays 60 yards, TD in 2:08

But they punted twice!! :lmao:

You aren't watching the tape if you think Cam's issues are with the deep ball. Its his intermediate stuff that needs the work.

Intermediate's not good either, anything over 15 yards is usually an adventure, except in cases like the Philly game in which DB's just forgot to cover people. I've watched Giants, Falcons round 1, Seahawks, Bears, Broncos, and Eagles are the games I've watched beginning to end. God awful, better but spotty - numbers > performance, God awful round 2, God awful round 3, not good, and my God the Eagles are awful are the summaries of those games.

Looking through the game log he has abused his last 3 opponents with awful defenses and put up big #'s against Atlanta in an up and down performance, otherwise his fantasy production (noting the games I didn't actually watch, only read up on) is a result of his rushing numbers, not his QB performance. Long term, that's not encouraging.

:shock:

Atlanta was an up and down performance?

ESPN tabbed his 98QBR as the second best QBR performance of the year behind only Brady's 304 4td vs STL

Last week Brees put up a 28QBR vs Atlanta

Thats pretty much false

First drive, 11plays 77 yards, TD in 7:11

2nd drive, 17 plays 72 yards, FG 9:17

3rd drive, 7 plays 31 yards, FG in 3:45

4th drive, 13 plays 64 yards, FG in 3:35

5th drive, 4 plays 86 yards, TD in 2:08

6th drive, 4 plays 22 yards, punt in 2:10

7th drive, 9 plays 37 yards, punt in 4:40

8th drive, 4 plays 60 yards, TD in 2:08

Wrong Falcons game, didn't watch yesterday's, probably will on Rewind this week though.

I've never been one to take other player's numbers and compare them vs. others to come to a conclusion, don't think that's a good way to determine future success. For every Eli Manning there are 19 David Carr's. You have to take all the pros and negatives about a player then continue to re-evaluate them vs. what they have done to see if they're progressing.

This makes no sense.
Why?

So I think we can sum up MAC_32's opinions on the top QBs in the league as follows:

Struggles of top QBs not named Cam Newton: all of their struggles can be excused easily.

Struggles of QBs named Cam Newton: none of his struggles can be excused at all.

Unfair to compare Rodgers and Brees to Cam

:lmao:
Because it's crazy to compare veteran Super Bowl champions in or possibly in the end of their prime to an inconsistent 2nd year player?

So I think we can sum up MAC_32's opinions on the top QBs in the league as follows:Struggles of top QBs not named Cam Newton: all of their struggles can be excused easily.Struggles of QBs named Cam Newton: none of his struggles can be excused at all.

Compare Luck and RG3 to Cam, not Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Stafford and Ryan, maybe.

That carried over into the beginning of this year. It's just now going away. Is it because the pressure is off? or is he maturing? Depends what you thought about him a year or two ago. The optimists are going to trend towards maturing, those who were down on him like me aren't. It makes sense.

This actually makes very little sense. What you saw in him last year really shouldn't have any impact as to what you see now. What you see now is what you see. Bringing in a preconceived notion only clouds the picture. Again, I think the "pressure off" is nonsense. These teams aren't playing their 3rd and 4th string scrubs against the Panthers because their record sucks. You have a few pieces of information in front of you that allow you to draw conclusions about him and where he stands.

1. The team is much more receptive of him now.

2. He's not making mistakes and is pretty even keeled.

3. The offensive play calling has changed significantly.

Those things don't change regardless of what you thought of him last year.

But if next year starts off like this year and Cam responds similarly, what happens then? Can't see the team getting behind him again after another meltdown, he's walking on thin ice and can't afford to slip up again.
Now you're into the "what if" game :shrug: What if he doesn't do those things and continues to grow? What if he goes through 5 years of growth and then responds negatively sometime in the future?
...and I expect Cam optimists to be on your side of the fence and pessimists to not. I don't trust his head, you do. I expect him to crack at more signs of adversity, you don't. Fully reasonable to think he's turned the corner, lots of cases to point to with head cases that says he regresses. It's a risk, a risk I was willing to take in 2013 redrafts if his 2012 continued like it did the first two months, not anymore though.
I don't have a side of the fence. I don't play the "what if" game when I can avoid it. I'm interested in the "head cases" you are talking about that allow you to assume one way or the other about Cam though. I am also interested in what you "see" in him that allows you to assume he's going to regress.

So I think we can sum up MAC_32's opinions on the top QBs in the league as follows:Struggles of top QBs not named Cam Newton: all of their struggles can be excused easily.Struggles of QBs named Cam Newton: none of his struggles can be excused at all.

Compare Luck and RG3 to Cam, not Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Stafford and Ryan, maybe.
Why is it ok to compare him to Luck and RG3? Both those guys had to deal with failure a lot more than Cam did. They learned their lessons earlier. Cam is learning his lessons now. You seem to think he's not learning, so I'm interested in the evidence that allows you to believe that.

Wrong Falcons game, didn't watch yesterday's, probably will on Rewind this week though.

"If you don’t like Cam Newton after watching him on Sunday against the Falcons, it says more about you than it does about him."

My link

Edited by FDC

People who have extreme hot and cold tendencies like Cam often flame out in ugly ways.

Examples please.

That carried over into the beginning of this year. It's just now going away. Is it because the pressure is off? or is he maturing? Depends what you thought about him a year or two ago. The optimists are going to trend towards maturing, those who were down on him like me aren't. It makes sense.

This actually makes very little sense. What you saw in him last year really shouldn't have any impact as to what you see now. What you see now is what you see. Bringing in a preconceived notion only clouds the picture. Again, I think the "pressure off" is nonsense. These teams aren't playing their 3rd and 4th string scrubs against the Panthers because their record sucks. You have a few pieces of information in front of you that allow you to draw conclusions about him and where he stands.

1. The team is much more receptive of him now.

2. He's not making mistakes and is pretty even keeled.

3. The offensive play calling has changed significantly.

Those things don't change regardless of what you thought of him last year.

But if next year starts off like this year and Cam responds similarly, what happens then? Can't see the team getting behind him again after another meltdown, he's walking on thin ice and can't afford to slip up again.
Now you're into the "what if" game :shrug: What if he doesn't do those things and continues to grow? What if he goes through 5 years of growth and then responds negatively sometime in the future?
...and I expect Cam optimists to be on your side of the fence and pessimists to not. I don't trust his head, you do. I expect him to crack at more signs of adversity, you don't. Fully reasonable to think he's turned the corner, lots of cases to point to with head cases that says he regresses. It's a risk, a risk I was willing to take in 2013 redrafts if his 2012 continued like it did the first two months, not anymore though.
I don't have a side of the fence. I don't play the "what if" game when I can avoid it. I'm interested in the "head cases" you are talking about that allow you to assume one way or the other about Cam though. I am also interested in what you "see" in him that allows you to assume he's going to regress.
He has caused problems at each place he has gone to, severity and type has varied, it's a trend.

Why is it ok to compare him to Luck and RG3? Both those guys had to deal with failure a lot more than Cam did. They learned their lessons earlier. Cam is learning his lessons now. You seem to think he's not learning, so I'm interested in the evidence that allows you to believe that.
He showed it earlier in the season, is now the beginning of a new Cam? or a blip in the radar? We'll see.

Compare them how? Not statistically I assume because Newton's numbers are far superior to Luck's. Or should compare them by their team's success, while assuming team wins are perfectly correlated with QB skill and while ignoring the impact of defense, special teams, and coaching?

People who have extreme hot and cold tendencies like Cam often flame out in ugly ways.

Examples please.
Google psychology books if you really want to learn.If you're just trolling and fishing like it's obvious you've been doing all year then please just stop.

Examples please.
Google psychology books if you really want to learn.If you're just trolling and fishing like it's obvious you've been doing all year then please just stop.
Which ones do you recommend? I REALLY want to be good at fantasy football, so give me the best book. I am asking your for examples of players whose production was limited by the "psychological" issues you have assigned to Cam.You've shared your opinion of him as a person. Now tell me why I should care as a fantasy owner. And I've asked you this before and you haven't provided an answer. You keep saying there are plenty examples of players like Cam who have failed. Well, who? Edited by Concept Coop

Compare them how? Not statistically I assume because Newton's numbers are far superior to Luck's. Or should compare them by their team's success, while assuming team wins are perfectly correlated with QB skill and while ignoring the impact of defense, special teams, and coaching?
Pros and cons coming into the league. How they've done since getting to the league. What weaknesses have been exposed. Are they correctable? Have they done some things to show they could be special? How has the team done? How have they done in clutch situations? 3rd downs? Red zone? Do they show leadership abilities? Can you trust the QB when the game is on the line? Any surprises good or bad?

Pros and cons coming into the league. How they've done since getting to the league. What weaknesses have been exposed. Are they correctable? Have they done some things to show they could be special? How has the team done? How have they done in clutch situations? 3rd downs? Red zone? Do they show leadership abilities? Can you trust the QB when the game is on the line? Any surprises good or bad?
Give us something concrete, so we can test your theory with concrete examples. 3rd down, red zone, and clutch situation. Give us some numbers. You seem to put stock in them, you should have criteria that you use, no?

The hate is ridiculous here. He hasn't been perfect, but he's been virtually unstoppable with zero running game. He is the running game. He's completing a lot more of his intermediate passes and sustaining drives with his legs. With Brees being so bad lately, Rodgers not even throwing for a TD, RG3 hurt - who do you like over him from a scoring perspective? Brady? And then? Even in my 6 point TD league his ceiling is so much higher than anybody. Not sure if people are arguing his value as a real QB or a FF quarterback. I can understand the discussion as a leader as real QB, character, leadership qualities, arrogance, blah blah blah. But as a fantasy QB right now? On fire.

Examples please.
I am asking your for examples of players whose production was limited by the "psychological" issues you have assigned to Cam.You've shared your opinion of him as a person. Now tell me why I should care as a fantasy owner. And I've asked you this before and you haven't provided an answer. You keep saying there are plenty examples of players like Cam who have failed. Well, who?
I have never said players, I have said cases. The only player I can think of with personality questions like Cam is Ryan Leaf. There are many others, but they are less important at other positions than QB, a leadership position. I have neglected to write Leaf's name because you will twist this into a statistical argument, hence the fishing comments. The difference between them is Leaf flamed out too quickly. He showed up to camp fat then imploded, but there's a reason he was debated vs. Peyton Manning and it's because of what he did on the field and what he could do in the pros. Never had anything to do with physical abilities, he mentally collapsed, epically at that.

The hate is ridiculous here.

:goodposting:I REALLY disliked him coming out of college and expected to see him fail in the NFL, but that just isn't happening. He is proving each week that he is a star QB in this league and I don't see that changing. In fact, I think he will continue to mature and improve as Carolina gets better.

have never said players, I have said cases. The only player I can think of with personality questions like Cam is Ryan Leaf. There are many others, but they are less important at other positions than QB, a leadership position. I have neglected to write Leaf's name because you will twist this into a statistical argument, hence the fishing comments. The difference between them is Leaf flamed out too quickly. He showed up to camp fat then imploded, but there's a reason he was debated vs. Peyton Manning and it's because of what he did on the field and what he could do in the pros. Never had anything to do with physical abilities, he mentally collapsed, epically at that.

And seeing as how Leaf and Newton have nothing in common? Should we not worry?

Give us something concrete, so we can test your theory with concrete examples. 3rd down, red zone, and clutch situation. Give us some numbers. You seem to put stock in them, you should have criteria that you use, no?
I just did above and I mentioned earlier I will re-visit all of this data during the offseason. I make midseason notes then look again in the offseason. Week-to-week I just make mental notes on how I think players and teams are progressing from the prior week. Usually don't watch every game, but I watch 5 in-action then somewhere between 2 and 5 during the week and read up on the ones I miss.

have never said players, I have said cases. The only player I can think of with personality questions like Cam is Ryan Leaf. There are many others, but they are less important at other positions than QB, a leadership position. I have neglected to write Leaf's name because you will twist this into a statistical argument, hence the fishing comments. The difference between them is Leaf flamed out too quickly. He showed up to camp fat then imploded, but there's a reason he was debated vs. Peyton Manning and it's because of what he did on the field and what he could do in the pros. Never had anything to do with physical abilities, he mentally collapsed, epically at that.

And seeing as how Leaf and Newton have nothing in common? Should we not worry?
If you don't think an egotistical extortionist, criminal, and thief shares traits to Leaf then I cannot help you.

I just did above and I mentioned earlier I will re-visit all of this data during the offseason. I make midseason notes then look again in the offseason. Week-to-week I just make mental notes on how I think players and teams are progressing from the prior week. Usually don't watch every game, but I watch 5 in-action then somewhere between 2 and 5 during the week and read up on the ones I miss.

No you didn't. At all. Give me numbers. A number or percentage that you use as a baseline. If you are going to say X is bad - what isn't bad? What's good? What is average?

If you don't think an egotistical extortionist, criminal, and thief shares traits to Leaf then I cannot help you.

Help me understand. Did Ryan leaf steal a computer at 18? Or cheat on tests at 18?Or is he the only example of a player failing due to personality, so you need to grasp at anything?And you should look up the definition of extortion before you use it. Criminal too, actually. Thief too, while you're at it.

No you didn't. At all. Give me numbers. A number or percentage that you use as a baseline. If you are going to say X is bad - what isn't bad? What's good? What is average?
A good percentage is better than your opposition, a bad percentage is worse. As the game has changed so have baselines, Weeden's season has been a success relative to past Browns QB's but compare him to the rest of the league and he's been pretty terrible. If he has a good percentage, why? if bad, why? Are there other factors at play causing it? You always want the simple answer and in this game there just aren't.

A good percentage is better than your opposition, a bad percentage is worse. As the game has changed so have baselines, Weeden's season has been a success relative to past Browns QB's but compare him to the rest of the league and he's been pretty terrible. If he has a good percentage, why? if bad, why? Are there other factors at play causing it? You always want the simple answer and in this game there just aren't.
You could have just responded "no" or "I don't know" or "I don't have any". Although, "I make them up as I go; as they fit my argument" would been the most honest. Edited by Concept Coop

Help me understand. Did Ryan leaf steal a computer at 18? Or cheat on tests at 18?Or is he the only example of a player failing due to personality, so you need to grasp at anything?And you should look up the definition of extortion before you use it. Criminal too, actually. Thief too, while you're at it.
If you had just said you were fishing from the beginning you could have saved both of us our time. You knew the point I was making, you just wanted to argue. I know what you're doing so I will walk away. Until next week. When you hook me again.

He has caused problems at each place he has gone to, severity and type has varied, it's a trend.

He showed it earlier in the season, is now the beginning of a new Cam? or a blip in the radar? We'll see.

You're not going to answer the questions with any sort of specific substance are you? :unsure:

The hate is ridiculous here.

:goodposting:I REALLY disliked him coming out of college and expected to see him fail in the NFL, but that just isn't happening. He is proving each week that he is a star QB in this league and I don't see that changing. In fact, I think he will continue to mature and improve as Carolina gets better.
:goodposting:

You're not going to answer the questions with any sort of specific substance are you? :unsure:
I have addressed everything in comment 1 throughout his pro career. There's a reason he got thrown out of Florida, Auburn got sanctioned, and teammates took issue with him at Carolina for a variety of different behavioral issues - all centered around him.My opinion because of everything in comment 1 is why I have the question in comment 2.

If you had just said you were fishing from the beginning you could have saved both of us our time. You knew the point I was making, you just wanted to argue. I know what you're doing so I will walk away. Until next week. When you hook me again.
I am trying to fish? I am the only one who has given an example in the Ryan Leaf/Cam Newton conversation. What point were you making? Ryan Leaf failed because he didn't care enough. Newton does. Comparing Newton to Leaf is ignorant or lazy.

I am trying to fish? I am the only one who has given an example in the Ryan Leaf/Cam Newton conversation. What point were you making? Ryan Leaf failed because he didn't care enough. Newton does. Comparing Newton to Leaf is ignorant or lazy.
Cancer is contagious, Leaf failed because he was a cancer, not because he didn't care. Cam was a cancer at each of his schools, the effects of the 2nd one just weren't felt til he left. Same cancerous signs have been there in the pros, just hasn't blown up yet. If his head's on straight it won't, but if he's effected two other programs and showed the signs again what reason is there to believe it won't continue? blind faith.

Cancer is contagious, Leaf failed because he was a cancer, not because he didn't care. Cam was a cancer at each of his schools, the effects of the 2nd one just weren't felt til he left. Same cancerous signs have been there in the pros, just hasn't blown up yet. If his head's on straight it won't, but if he's effected two other programs and showed the signs again what reason is there to believe it won't continue? blind faith.

This is just silly. You have reduced everything to a simple, lazy, generic word like "cancer". Now you get to assign it to everyone you want without consistant criteria. And we're supposed to take your word for it. And ask Auburn and Blinn how they enjoyed their cancerous national championships.

He won a title as a backup at Florida. Won it all with Blinn. Won it all with Auburn.

What a cancer!