What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (2 Viewers)

Inserted him back in this week. As a Lions fan, just knew he'd go off this week so at very least wanting him helping one of my teams. Back in lineup going forward, for sure.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess the Saints D is awesome.  Whoulda thunk it?
I always felt like you couldn't really decide if a player is bad based on division matchups. They are so random. Teams know each others inside out since they play so often that they can game plan against that player's weakness better. That being said, I had a feeling that maybe the Saints weren't that bad just because Sam Bradford slaughtered them in week 1. Vikings offense may not be terrible. 

Also, I think Cam Newtons poor play made sense in the first two games. You could see that the reason he was bad was because of rust, it wasn't his offense or his receivers. They were getting open and he could have had huge games but he just threw poorly. The potential for huge games was there. It makes sense given he hadn't played in awhile so it was kind of unfair to expect him to play lights out from week 1. 

It's funny. During the season, the weeks feel so long that you think if a guy had 3 bad weeks he was doomed to be bad for the rest of the season. However, when this is all said and done he could easily end up top 5 and no one will remember his rough start come next year's draft.

FBG QB top 200 forward:

1) Brees

2) Rodgers

3) Brady

4) Prescott

5) Winston

6) Wilson

7) Ryan

8) Cousins

9) Watson

10) Newton

Would you rank Newton any higher ROS?

FBG QB top 200 forward:

1) Brees

2) Rodgers

3) Brady

4) Prescott

5) Winston

6) Wilson

7) Ryan

8) Cousins

9) Watson

10) Newton

Would you rank Newton any higher ROS?
Based on his play the last 2 weeks on the road I dont understand why the ranking is so low.  Should be top 5 easily IMO

Seems like the confidence level in Cam has risen the last couple weeks. Anyone else care to chime in? Does he rush more again? Does he stay in the pocket and produce like a pocket passer? Once on the run he seems to make plays? Rushing TD's like two years ago? 

I wonder if Cam has humbled himself a tad and will let his skills do the talking?

I'm starting Watson over Cam this week because the CLE matchup is so darn good, and these TNF games scare me. For going forward, yeah--I don't really have an issue with the 10th ranking. If he can light it up again tonight, I bet he climbs up a few spots. It's hard to forget about weeks 1-3, but a 3 week run stringing together games like the last 2, I think you have to be confident again.

I'm starting Watson over Cam this week because the CLE matchup is so darn good, and these TNF games scare me. For going forward, yeah--I don't really have an issue with the 10th ranking. If he can light it up again tonight, I bet he climbs up a few spots. It's hard to forget about weeks 1-3, but a 3 week run stringing together games like the last 2, I think you have to be confident again.
Of course you gotta go Watson against CLE this week, and perhaps the ROS with confidence. I picked up Watson in another league with Winston and playing Watson this week. In my other league with Wilson on bye looking at Newton since he was dropped. 

Of course you gotta go Watson against CLE this week, and perhaps the ROS with confidence. I picked up Watson in another league with Winston and playing Watson this week. In my other league with Wilson on bye looking at Newton since he was dropped. 
I'm hoping these guys light it up again this week, asI could really use an upgrade at WR with OBJ being out, and Amari Cooper playing at a droppable (pardon the pun) level. Problem is, in my league you don't often see QB's moved unless they are the elite guys who have a long track record of elite play. The teams who are struggling don't exactly have a problem at QB, it's either RB or WR. I don't have the RB depth to move someone. Maybe another week like last week with either guy will convince someone to do a deal with me. I'd be more willing to hold Cam than Watson due to the veteran vs rookie scenario.

I'm hoping these guys light it up again this week, asI could really use an upgrade at WR with OBJ being out, and Amari Cooper playing at a droppable (pardon the pun) level. Problem is, in my league you don't often see QB's moved unless they are the elite guys who have a long track record of elite play. The teams who are struggling don't exactly have a problem at QB, it's either RB or WR. I don't have the RB depth to move someone. Maybe another week like last week with either guy will convince someone to do a deal with me. I'd be more willing to hold Cam than Watson due to the veteran vs rookie scenario.

Idk...Watson seems to have the "it" factor, can run and throw, and will go deep with no fear. Now, add Fuller with Hopkins. The kid just seems to have it. The veteran, ya, he still has it too. But, those early stinkers still linger...

Is there anyone left that still likes this guy?  So glad I'm not a Panthers fan and don't have to feel obligated to root for him.
He is a baller.  Look for 3 tds this week.  If he was on your team how could you not like him?  But I get the hate and probably wouldnt like him either if he was on the Browns or wherever

I am trying gauge whether this off-season is the best time to sell him. QB's like him shine so bright but the cliff is going to be a long hard fall. When the legs go I don't want anything to do with him. 

I am trying gauge whether this off-season is the best time to sell him. QB's like him shine so bright but the cliff is going to be a long hard fall. When the legs go I don't want anything to do with him. 
What does that mean "when the legs go"?   When he loses his speed?

I think an injury is what is going to be his downfall if anything.  The dude still has a howitzer as an arm

What does that mean "when the legs go"?   When he loses his speed?

I think an injury is what is going to be his downfall if anything.  The dude still has a howitzer as an arm
So did Jamarcus Russel. Not comparing the two really, just saying when his inability to get me points on the ground becomes a constant I would rather have a drop back qb or a younger version of himself ready. I think he has 1 or 2 more years of "elite" level rushing and after that I don't want him as a drop back passer. 

So did Jamarcus Russel. Not comparing the two really, just saying when his inability to get me points on the ground becomes a constant I would rather have a drop back qb or a younger version of himself ready. I think he has 1 or 2 more years of "elite" level rushing and after that I don't want him as a drop back passer. 
Gotcha fantasy wise.  I think Cam will run until he retires, thats just his moxie

ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton considers Cam Newton to be on the "hot seat" in Carolina.

"This is a big year for Newton with a new offensive coordinator and system," writes Newton. "If he doesn't show improvement after consecutive down years, there will be a lot of questions about his future." Newton remains one of the top fantasy players at his position, but he's strung together back-to-back down passing seasons after a trip to the Super Bowl in 2015. He's still only 29 and one of the most dynamic all-around quarterbacks, but his contract is relatively easy to get out of after 2018. Still, we would be completely shocked if it happened. Newton remains in the prime of his career and is under contract through 2020 at a bargain rate of $20.76 million annually. He's the league's 15th-highest-paid QB.

Source: ESPN.com

Jul 11 - 10:52 AM

I had him in leagues last season, and was shocked to see he finished as high as he did in the points/rankings.  Wildly inconsistent.  

I now own Cam after years of never taking him. He was the 10th QB selected, at 8.02 (IDP league, so don't let that late pick confuse you)

I believe I'll get more than adequate production from him at that relatively cheap cost, and I had him ranked higher than several QBs taken before him. We'll see if I get him for 16 games. I backed him up with Luck, so pray for me. ;)  

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I now own Cam after years of never taking him. He was the 10th QB selected, at 8.02 (IDP league, so don't let that late pick confuse you)

I believe I'll get more than adequate production from him at that relatively cheap cost, and I had him ranked higher than several QBs taken before him. We'll see if I get him for 16 games. I backed him up with Luck, so pray for me. ;)  
I did the exact same thing. Newton fell to a very attractive price. Added Luck towards then end which could end up as a nice streaming combo.

I did the exact same thing. Newton fell to a very attractive price. Added Luck towards then end which could end up as a nice streaming combo.
I mean, you have to take value when it falls regardless of position. I was FF like always, and I’m looking over my draft sheets and he stood out as far and away the biggest faller on the board. 

And I didn’t miss a beat - the next 4 picks were exactly who I was gonna take a pick earlier so Newton essentially cost me nothing 

Hot Sauce Guy said:

10th qb?  That's crazy.  Haven't seen any rankings where he's out of the top 5.

I have Cousins as my QB right now, but someone just dropped Cam. Who would you guys rather have rest of the season?

Users who are viewing this thread