What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (5 Viewers)

I think people just don't like Cam personally. He's been a good QB and led his team to a Super Bowl where he ran into a dominant, almost historic defense. He doesn't really deserve the stuff he takes from the average fan. It's too bad.

Absolutely agree with this. I never disliked him but seeing him more closely first hand in last season's All or Nothing really gave me an appreciation for Cam as a person and teammate. It's clear that people project a lot of weird feelings onto Cam because they don't like the archetype of athlete he represents: flashy and confident, even egotistical but all out of a love for winning and competitiveness. Me, I love that and wish their were more Washington players who exhibited the kind of love for winning and despair after losing that obviously drives Cam. But it can really rub people the wrong way. It's clear he's also a really good dude outside the game as well. Hard not to root for him, for me. 

People will simultaneously complain about how dreary and boring a guy like Eli is, no passion, and complain about how in this modern salary cap/Free Agency era players are no longer rivals but friends and exchange jerseys and smile and laugh even after tough losses, etc....fans HATE that and want the players to feel as devastated as they do after a loss. 

But then they hate a guy like Cam who is actually like that. It's baffling. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Top 10 QB's or top 10 players?  I think he is easily out of the top  20  players of this decade.

Listen, I get that this is a hard thing to quantify and that objectively he hasn't been top-20 this decade. There are 22 non-ST's positions and lots of historically good players have played all over the field in that time, in this era.

But when you weight the over-importance of the QB position nowadays and the excitement he has brought to the game in his prime, while carrying mediocre teams a lot of that time...I can at least see an argument that as a star player he was a top guy this decade. On a better team he is probably the face of the NFL all this time. 

Absolutely agree with this. I never disliked him but seeing him more closely first hand in last season's All or Nothing really gave me an appreciation for Cam as a person and teammate. It's clear that people project a lot of weird feelings onto Cam because they don't like the archetype of athlete he represents: flashy and confident, even egotistical but all out of a love for winning and competitiveness. Me, I love that and wish their were more Washington players who exhibited the kind of love for winning and despair after losing that obviously drives Cam. But it can really rub people the wrong way. It's clear he's also a really good dude outside the game as well. Hard not to root for him, for me. 

People will simultaneously complain about how dreary and boring a guy like Eli is, no passion, and complain about how in this modern salary cap/Free Agency era players are no longer rivals but friends and exchange jerseys and smile and laugh even after tough losses, etc....fans HATE that and want the players to feel as devastated as they do after a loss. 

But then they hate a guy like Cam who is actually like that. It's baffling. 
For me, it's the way he carries himself.  Just not a fan.  He seems too cool to care. That, and he inaccuracy as a passer.

For me, it's the way he carries himself.  Just not a fan.  He seems too cool to care. That, and he inaccuracy as a passer.

Cam cares. Way, way too much according to some people. But I dig that in a competitive player, personally. 

"The way he carries himself" is a statement I tend to not want to touch. I think it's usually code for a certain type of archetype of star athlete that rubs people the wrong way. But Cam has backed it up for most of his career so it's never bothered me

Cam cares. Way, way too much according to some people. But I dig that in a competitive player, personally. 

"The way he carries himself" is a statement I tend to not want to touch. I think it's usually code for a certain type of archetype of star athlete that rubs people the wrong way. But Cam has backed it up for most of his career so it's never bothered me
Maybe it's petty of me, I dunno....I'm basing it strictly on his body language and performance on the field.  Admittedly, I really know nothing about him off the field......he just doesn't scream "this is a leader I will run through a brick wall for" kinda guy.....but maybe I just don't see it....I admit, I don't know it all!

It seems like you're questioning if he's really injured, while simultaneously saying he's been injured all season? That doesn't jive
Ah.  I really wasn't questioning if he is injured - it's quite obvious he is.  I was hinting that Rivera plans on benching him, and has known since the end of game 2.

What doesn't gel?
You questioned if he was injured "Is he really?" then you said you thought he was injured all along.

Just curious what you are actually suggesting as it was unclear.

Are you just questioning if we're talking about a new injury? 

This guy is cooked. If he can't run he is basically Tebow without the running ability but less of a dbag

Cam Newton (foot) is not practicing Wednesday.

Not all that surprising. Newton may not practice at all this week, but his status for Week 3 against the Cardinals remains up in the air. If Newton is unable to play, Kyle Allen will get the start in the desert. We'd have to downgrade all Panthers pass catchers.

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 12:01 PM ET

Do you think this current injury (what ever it happens to be) will NEVER heal?
Not if they play him on Sunday.   He needs to sit for weeks.

This season is shot so it really doesnt matter anyway but I would just prefer for him to go on IR and get 100% for next year.

This season is shot so it really doesnt matter anyway but I would just prefer for him to go on IR and get 100% for next year.
if its the same moderate mid-foot sprain I've had, it took about two weeks. But I am not a pro athlete, so I dunno, lol.

They probably should give him the week or so off so that his foot has a chance to heal

I realize they are 0-2 but the division leader is just 1-1. So I don’t think their season is shot….not yet anyway

I loved watching Cam Newton play football. I have not seen that guy for going on 1 season and now 2 weeks. He is obviously not right physically. What caught me was his demeanor last Thursday night. Most of that is attributable to his current physical state. He knows he is hurt, can't do what he does best which is improvise and use his legs when needed and he simply cannot perform at the level he is accustomed too.  That can really wear on an athletes mental game and toughness and I see it really affecting him right now.

Hopefully for Panthers fans he can recover and get back to the level we have seen throughout his career. But right now? He is a shell of himself and it is due to injury.

They probably should give him the week or so off so that his foot has a chance to heal

I realize they are 0-2 but the division leader is just 1-1. So I don’t think their season is shot….not yet anyway
Fair enough but we are crazy close to being completely out of it statistically.  Really close.  Now if we lose at AZ, which is more than likely to happen without cam then its over.  We aint coming back from 0-3 with only 6 home games left.  

I have been a big RR supporter but being this close to a blown season this early is unacceptable.  How did he not learn last year that when cam is hurt we are not going to win?

We lose sunday and Tepper needs to step in and rest cam for the year and make next season a "contract prove it" one for him.  I also dont see anyway RR or hurney survive this without making the playoffs.   I would love to see that Lincoln Riley would in the NFL

dropped him in one league yesterday & slammed down the confirmation button.   It felt great.   Without his running his fantasy production is below average.   Dropping him tonight(hopefully) for Goff & also picking up Garoppolo.  I bid too much but want off this train that much.

Dropped him for Dalton. Easy decision. Can't trust anyone in that offense until there is some consistency, which I fear will only come at the cost of Cam's starting job.

I think people just don't like Cam personally. He's been a good QB and led his team to a Super Bowl where he ran into a dominant, almost historic defense. He doesn't really deserve the stuff he takes from the average fan. It's too bad.
fair points.but he brings this upon himself. from taking a knee in =EVERY huddle and purposely being the LAST guy out of every panthers offensive huddle, in every game, is over the top - it's all about 'me'. I think what gets people is his smug,smarmy cocky attitude in post game press conferences, his superman BS on the field one game, and then ducking and hiding and pouting after losses. if you're going to pat yourself on the back one week, you need to take the lumps when you don't produce. it's not the fans that have the problem, it's the athlete.fans love the derek jeter types. nose to the grindstone go out and produce say little whether you win or lose. 

the average fan is really, really tired of the meshawn johnsons, the AB, T.O., ochocinco, Lev Bell, Burfict, Pacman Jones  type of player. 

Cam is a good QB but I think his best days are behind him, apparently far behind. he looks like a shell of his former self. they had NO BUSINESS losing that game to the bucs on TNF. they had players open all over the field, and Cam couldn't hit the ocean with a beach ball. I've never seen a QB so off his game like I saw on thursday.

'it's over, johnny'  https://youtu.be/6GkNYSQDchY

Panthers would probably be 2-0 had they made the decision to bench Cam in game 1. they should've benched him at halftime vs. the Bucs. Rivera  messed up

( bet the G-men with DJ vs. Bucs this weekend. he's going to crush it against that porous defensive secondary)

I take what you're saying, Tanner9919. He hasn't been forthcoming after losses, and it does seem the ego is healthy. I personally don't mind that. He's a good teammate and competes. That's all I ask as a fan.

But he may have seen his greatest days. People were indeed, as you say, wide open all over the field and he just kept missing. It was sad, actually. And, yes, I am tempted to start Jones because that secondary was so darn leaky, but you're forgetting one thing: Jones has few weapons at his disposal other than the best RB in the game and an elite TE. It's a helicopter out there (no wings).

Peace, man.

Brees was dropped.  Think I'll get by with dalton/etc and spend all of my faab on brees.  Newton is killing my team.

NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reports Cam Newton is in a @Walking Boot and is "trending" towards not playing Week 3.

Kyle Allen is shaping up as the Panthers' starting quarterback this week against the Cardinals. Rapoport was told Newton needed to practice on Wednesday to start this weekend and that did not happen. The extent of Newton's foot injury is unknown, but it has been described as a re-aggravation of his preseason injury. With the way he played through his foot injury in Week 2, rest was almost mandatory.

RELATED: 

Kyle Allen

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 7:43 PM ET

dropped him in one league yesterday & slammed down the confirmation button.   It felt great.   Without his running his fantasy production is below average.   Dropping him tonight(hopefully) for Goff & also picking up Garoppolo.  I bid too much but want off this train that much.
Got Goff & Garropola.   Dropped Cam.   Paid way too much(15% & 7%)  but I knew Ben & Brees owners needed a QB.   I feel liberated.  I'm 0-2 in the two redraft leagues I HAD Cam.  Onward & upward!!!

I don't know why people are taking his injury so personally. Dude's hurt. Can't move. He didn't do it to mess with fantasy guys or anything. It just happens. 

And per Paul Finebaum, he has "brought the franchise down"
Speaking of bringing things down, just that name brings me down. I remember absolutely hating that guy the year Boise St. was undefeated until they ran into Kaep and Nevada. But FInebaum, who I'd never heard of, all of the sudden starts making the rounds telling everybody why the SEC should have a one-loss team over an undefeated team that had just beaten Okla. the year before. He made me furious. 

Little did I know that was his shtik. What a freaking dupe I was. 

Anyway, yes, back to Cam and apocalypse. 

Dropped him for Dalton. Easy decision. Can't trust anyone in that offense until there is some consistency, which I fear will only come at the cost of Cam's starting job.
He might have lost his starting job on fantasy teams, but he's nowhere near losing his starting job in real life.

Dude's hurt and played 2 crappy games. He's their franchise QB.

He might have lost his starting job on fantasy teams, but he's nowhere near losing his starting job in real life.

He should get that starting job back after taking the time off for the foot to heal.  I don't care about the Panthers but that is a fun O to watch when Cam is healthy.  And, it would have been really fun this season with an improved Moore and Samuel and healthy Olsen.   Carolina needs to sit Cam and hope they win a game without him.  They aren't winning with an unhealthy Cam any way.   

Cam is a career 59% passer whose best yardage season was his rookie year.  He topped 24 passing TD's just once.  He is not a pocket passer, and needs to be running to be effective, both in FF and real life.  Let the man heal, and then we can see if he still has it.

I don't know why people are taking his injury so personally. Dude's hurt. Can't move. He didn't do it to mess with fantasy guys or anything. It just happens. 
not personal, just business.   he is a very inaccurate passer.  without his running he is not even middle of the pack for QBs.  IMO

I'm in this boat personally.  It is really a pet peeve of mine how he runs out of the tunnel by himself and all around the field before home games...

Cam is a career 59% passer whose best yardage season was his rookie year.  He topped 24 passing TD's just once.  He is not a pocket passer, and needs to be running to be effective, both in FF and real life.  Let the man heal, and then we can see if he still has it.
This is really the only option.  Sit for for weeks if not the season.  Get him 100% healthy.  Quit trotting him out there at 75% or whatever he was.  Get the shoulder right get the foot right and then figure things out but for Gods sake stop playing him when he is hurt Ron.

This is really the only option.  Sit for for weeks if not the season.  Get him 100% healthy.  Quit trotting him out there at 75% or whatever he was.  Get the shoulder right get the foot right and then figure things out but for Gods sake stop playing him when he is hurt Ron.
Agreed.  Asking Cam to succeed in his current condition is like asking Pete Rose to start hitting home runs, or asking Shaq to make free throws. 

I agree it's an overreaction to two bad games this season, and he is playing hurt, but I think it is not out of the question for an NFL organization to consider going with the younger, healthier option to save some FO jobs. Besides, my point wasn't that Cam is worse than his back-ups- just lacks any sort of consistency, especially if he can't make plays on his feet. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle Allen come in, start, get a win against a mediocre Cardinals squad, and have Ron Rivera play the hot-hand approach.

Cam Newton, when healthy, is a top 5 fantasy QB and an above-average NFL QB. If he is locked out of making plays with his feet for the season, as he has been for the past two games, he is below average and he's going to get people fired, and the FO cares more about their jobs than loyalty to a "franchise QB".

Cam said he felt fine in game 1. He reinjured his foot in game 2. He didn't tell Rivera he reinjured it until after the game. How is that Rivera's fault?

Cam Newton (foot) could resume practicing Wednesday.

Newton won't be on the field Sunday at Arizona, though his status is "day to day" rather than "week to week." Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, there is a "real chance" Newton will be back in the fold when the Panthers return to practice on Wednesday. Undrafted sophomore Kyle Allen will be at the controls with Newton sidelined in Week 3. It will be his second career start.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 22, 2019, 9:31 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread