What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (2 Viewers)

Cam is definitely a very polarizing player. I live in NC, and people here either love him or hate him, including Panthers fans. Seems there is very little middle ground with this guy. Personally, I think he was a lot of fun to watch (when he wasn't hoarding goal line TDs off your RB) because he's a linebacker playing QB. But he certainly doesn't carry himself as "professional" as most of the great QBs do, at least in his post game pressers. Can't recall seeing Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Farve, etc. pout during press conferences, or wear clothes that scream "I need attention!!" I'd like to see him get another shot, but I also doubt he can fully bounce back. His running ability and strength helped him extend plays, but if he's lost a lot of that, the arm was never accurate enough to make him a great QB. I'm sure that's why he's still a FA right now. 
Manning was a pouter, definitely in his younger days and threw his O-line under the bus after wins.  His current persona and reputation are not of that of his pre Super Bowl Indy days.

Manning was a pouter, definitely in his younger days and threw his O-line under the bus after wins.  His current persona and reputation are not of that of his pre Super Bowl Indy days.
Him and Saturday got into an argument once that was entertaining.  Once in the redzone the OL complained to him that they were passing too much as the reason for not being able to get it in the end zone and Manning said to him, "BLOCK!!".  Then Manning said, perhaps they have a point, and decided to run the ball instead and got it in the end zone.  Manning may have argued with Saturday on national TV, but in the end he listened. 

Can't recall seeing Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Farve, etc. pout during press conferences, or wear clothes that scream "I need attention!!" 
If you think these guys (maybe excluding Brees) did not go out of their way to shape their images you're mistaken. Just because Cam wore more outrageous outfits while Brett wore his flannels or Brady changed up his pretty boy hairstyles doesn't make him any more "look at me" than the rest.

Can't recall seeing Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Farve, etc. pout during press conferences, or wear clothes that scream "I need attention!!" I'd like to see him get another shot, but I also doubt he can fully bounce back. His running ability and strength helped him extend plays, but if he's lost a lot of that, the arm was never accurate enough to make him a great QB. I'm sure that's why he's still a FA right now. 
I've seen Rodgers throw his players and coach under the bus. I've seen other QBs angry, etc.  Cam grew up a lot during his years with the Panthers, so I don't think it is fair to label him as a pouter in press conferences. He grew to be a great leader for the team. Also, why does it matter that he likes fashion? Cam is eccentric, and there is nothing wrong with having fun with your wardrobe. I'd love to have some of those hats and shirts he has worn. 

Sorry maybe I came across too judgmental about his attire. He certainly has the right to express himself however he wants (and I have the right to think he looks absurd in some of those outfits. 😉 ) As I said in my first post, I'm hoping he gets a chance to start somewhere, not for just FF (I do own him in a few dynasty leagues) but just as a football fan, to watch him on the field. 

It can be a tough pill to swallow to admit you are no longer "the man," which a physical freak like Cam has always been.  We will see if he can do it.  I could see him retiring rather than taking the (what he would see as) disrespect and having to fight for a starting job for less money.

If you think these guys (maybe excluding Brees) did not go out of their way to shape their images you're mistaken. Just because Cam wore more outrageous outfits while Brett wore his flannels or Brady changed up his pretty boy hairstyles doesn't make him any more "look at me" than the rest.
Yeah, but there's one significant difference between Cam and those guys.  I'll give you 3 guesses and the first two don't count. 

Him and Saturday got into an argument once that was entertaining.  Once in the redzone the OL complained to him that they were passing too much as the reason for not being able to get it in the end zone and Manning said to him, "BLOCK!!".  Then Manning said, perhaps they have a point, and decided to run the ball instead and got it in the end zone.  Manning may have argued with Saturday on national TV, but in the end he listened. 
Not sure if that was before or after the post game pre conference where he blamed the loss on not having enough time in the pocket. :shrug:

I’m currently a fan without a team.  I find myself organically following/rooting for Seattle the most, but they’re too far away to actually attend games. 

Being a FA fan sucks.  
Raiders baby. I’ll be rooting for whoever signs Cam. Huge loss in this city 

WFH Happy Hour Random Thought: Doesn't Cam to the Steelers make the most sense? If memory serves, Roethlisberger is entering year 2 of a 2-year contract.  Get Cam in as a backup and get him well-immersed in the team,  and turn the reigns over to him in 2021.  I'm assuming 2021 Cam >>>>>>>>>> 2021 Ben.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cam is definitely a very polarizing player. I live in NC, and people here either love him or hate him, including Panthers fans. Seems there is very little middle ground with this guy. Personally, I think he was a lot of fun to watch (when he wasn't hoarding goal line TDs off your RB) because he's a linebacker playing QB. But he certainly doesn't carry himself as "professional" as most of the great QBs do, at least in his post game pressers. Can't recall seeing Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Farve, etc. pout during press conferences, or wear clothes that scream "I need attention!!" I'd like to see him get another shot, but I also doubt he can fully bounce back. His running ability and strength helped him extend plays, but if he's lost a lot of that, the arm was never accurate enough to make him a great QB. I'm sure that's why he's still a FA right now. 
Small sample size I know but Cam sure did look good and more accurate that I ever recall seeing him during the 1st 7 games of the 2018 season. I think that was his 1st year with Norv Turner. The Panthers were rolling and Cam was connecting on 66% of his passes. Then he got hurt. They guy posted his highest completion percentage of his career in his 7th or 8th season. Leads me to believe that the old dog can learn new tricks ....provided that he is healthy. 

The idea that Cam should settle for a backup job seems absurd.  Does anyone really believe there are 20 NFL QBs better than a healthy Cam Newton?  

The idea that Cam should settle for a backup job seems absurd.  Does anyone really believe there are 20 NFL QBs better than a healthy Cam Newton?  
I'm rooting for Cam and hope he lands somewhere conducive to starting as he's one of my QBs in my dynasty league, but he doesn't strike me as being able to assuage the concerns about his health at all, especially given what's going on in the world today and what that means for proving one's health by doctor's visits, examinations, flights, workout days, etc.

You're not going into a season with a QB that had significant injuries end his last two seasons as an undisputed starter...although I think a lot of local fans wouldn't have minded rolling out even an awful/unhealthy Cam to end the era this year.

You're not going into a season with a QB that had significant injuries end his last two seasons as an undisputed starter...although I think a lot of local fans wouldn't have minded rolling out even an awful/unhealthy Cam to end the era this year.
Off the top of my head, the Eagles just did that with Wentz last year. In fairness, I thought Cam was likely to be 100% this summer, and am just assuming he’ll be back.  Is he more hurt than I thought? 

Off the top of my head, the Eagles just did that with Wentz last year. In fairness, I thought Cam was likely to be 100% this summer, and am just assuming he’ll be back.  Is he more hurt than I thought? 
Sure but that’s on his rookie contract still isn’t it? If cam is “better than 20 QBs” then should he paid as a top 12 QB? And will he take a one-two year incentive laden deal? Of the handful of teams still without a qb, would any make sense as a strong roster/win now team? Does that team (ne) have the cap space to sign him and the rookies they draft? If they don’t have a strong roster, would grooming a rookie make sense? The fact he was released so far into the process really screwed him, but I also might do the same while a team in your division is looking for a qb. 

Setting aside how healthy he actually is now, I think that depends on what portion of his pro career you want to circle as defining "healthy Cam Newton". 

Mister CIA said:
WFH Happy Hour Random Thought: Doesn't Cam to the Steelers make the most sense? If memory serves, Roethlisberger is entering year 2 of a 2-year contract.  Get Cam in as a backup and get him well-immersed in the team,  and turn the reigns over to him in 2021.  I'm assuming 2021 Cam >>>>>>>>>> 2021 Ben.
The best landing spot for Cam and the team is the Chargers.  They need something to infuse excitement to that team and no matter how well or bad he plays he will bring a name and excitement to the Chargers.  That is the best landing spot for all concerned. 

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports free agent Cam Newton is willing to wait until after the draft to sign with a new team. 

The decision, of course, seems to be being made for Newton, who has drawn shockingly little public interest since his release from the Panthers on March 24. Although money is surely a haggling point, the biggest holdup probably remains Newton's foot and shoulder. Teams are going to want to conduct their own physical before shelling out what Newton is seeking. Newton is already hurting for viable landing spots, but they will be further clarified following the draft. 

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Apr 9, 2020, 2:02 PM ET

The best landing spot for Cam and the team is the Chargers.  They need something to infuse excitement to that team and no matter how well or bad he plays he will bring a name and excitement to the Chargers.  That is the best landing spot for all concerned. 
Ugggh no. As a Keenan Allen guy, give me Winston. At least he can throw the ball to the same zip code that Allen is at. Who cares if it's a pick-6. That just means more passes Allen's way.

Ugggh no. As a Keenan Allen guy, give me Winston. At least he can throw the ball to the same zip code that Allen is at. Who cares if it's a pick-6. That just means more passes Allen's way.
Winston would be ok too but I am figuring the Chargers draft a qb and having Newton on a 1 yr deal to bring in fans is the best match.  Winston is going to want a muti year deal.

Winston would be ok too but I am figuring the Chargers draft a qb and having Newton on a 1 yr deal to bring in fans is the best match.  Winston is going to want a muti year deal.
He may want it but Winston is in no position to demand anything.

With this many 40-ish year old starting QB's in the league, and several other QB's on the hot seat, I think a 26yo Winston will want as short a contract as possible because his value will undoubtedly be more in FA in the future than it is now.

Brady, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben, Fitzpatrick, Rodgers will all likely age out of the league in a year or two. Cam and Stafford may have careers curtailed by injury. Tannehill and Foles(some would include Carr but not myself) will probably get crushed under the expectations of silly contracts and be looking for work.  

Places like NO, MIA, GB would be smart to sign Winston to a long multi-year deal as a backup now because his price is only going to go up in the future but I doubt Winston will sign anything more than a very short deal based on his market value at this time.

Back to Cam, I agree with you that Cam in LAC just makes too much sense both for the player and the team. 

Chark's on my dynasty team. I want him to actually be able to be within a flagpole's reach of the ball when it's thrown to him. 

Minshew might be a better QB at this point, and that's a sad state of affairs for Cam, never the most accurate passer in the game.
As a Chark owner, i'd be worried about Minshew. Charks stats fell off sharply toward the end of the year when defenses started figuring Minshew out. Chark didn't score or break 100 yards in the final 5 games. 

I know its trendy to hate on Cam, but if he is healthy I think he is a clear upgrade for the Jags and their fantasy assets. 

As a Chark owner, i'd be worried about Minshew. Charks stats fell off sharply toward the end of the year when defenses started figuring Minshew out. Chark didn't score or break 100 yards in the final 5 games. 

I know its trendy to hate on Cam, but if he is healthy I think he is a clear upgrade for the Jags and their fantasy assets. 
Yeah, the league seemed to figure out Minshew and the Thursday night magic he had that one night with Chark wore off as the season wore on. I think Foles coming in and out of the lineup had something to do with Minshew's problems, but he looked bad against either Denver or Tennessee and looked really bad the game in England against Houston. That's when Foles got his job back the following week.

So your point is taken. 

Minshew hit a rookie wall. I think he bounces back strong this year and takes a leap. If Cam is ok being a backup then this wouldn't be a terrible destination. I don't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minshew hit a rookie wall. I think he bounces back strong this year and takes a leap. If Cam is ok being a backup then this wouldn't be a terrible destination. I don't see it.
Can wouldn't back up minshaw.  At least not if healthy and the coach wants to win. 

Minshaw is probably a decent backup quality QB, but he's (probably) not a star. 

The Athletics' Jeff Howe reports the Patriots haven't shown any interest in free agent QB Cam Newton.

Sad! Newton hasn't been close to fully healthy since the first half of the 2018 season, dealing with severe shoulder and foot problems along the way. Still, the former 2015 MVP is grinding and itching for a return, and the Patriots sure seem like a potential fit considering their gaping hole under center. It seems more and more likely that New England moves forward with Jarrett Stidham under center in 2020. It remains to be seen if Cam will be able to start somewhere in 2020.

SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter

Apr 27, 2020, 11:46 AM ET

The Athletics' Jeff Howe reports the Patriots haven't shown any interest in free agent QB Cam Newton.

Sad! Newton hasn't been close to fully healthy since the first half of the 2018 season, dealing with severe shoulder and foot problems along the way. Still, the former 2015 MVP is grinding and itching for a return, and the Patriots sure seem like a potential fit considering their gaping hole under center. It seems more and more likely that New England moves forward with Jarrett Stidham under center in 2020. It remains to be seen if Cam will be able to start somewhere in 2020.

SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter

Apr 27, 2020, 11:46 AM ET
I love Rotoworld's editorializing in an attempt to create their own reality. Sure, they acknowledge that Stidham is more likely to start this year, but by implication, the Patriots shouldn't be going in that direction.

I don't get why the members of the sports media have such a hard time believing that NE is going with Stidham. BB has coached in 12 Super Bowls, he should have a handle of who should be the one leading his team. Yet there are so many sports reporters who still even now don't put any stock in NE sticking with Stidham. I have seen / heard / read about Stidham, and as soon as his name gets brought up, so do the words "3-4 wins" and "tanking for Trevor."

Does anyone doubt the Patriots would tank this year for Trevor though? They have been pretty spoiled over the last almost 2 decades at QB. Not hard to imagine them wanting to do everything possible to get Trevor. 

I can not see Billy B tanking.
This times 1,000. BB thinks he has a competitive team. I heard an interview with him last year where he said he had 20 or 21 players on defense that were worthy of starting . . . and he had to figure out what to do with them all. They lost a few starters in free agency, but they have plenty of guys waiting in the wings and just drafted a bunch more. Their defense will be very strong again this year. It is clear (to me anyway) that they are continuing with their desire to be strong defensively and on special teams. Offensively, they will try to establish the run and not take too many chances. This is the same model that worked when Brady was young and when Brady was old.

People don't remember that the 2001 team had very few weapons in the receiving game. They had Troy Brown (1200 receiving yards) and David Patten (750 receiving yards) . . . and no one else over 200 receiving yards (Terry Glenn had 204 yards, but close enough). The 2003 team had only 2 players with more than 500 receiving yards (Branch with 803 and Givens with 510). Givens and Patten were the only two guys over 500 receiving yards in 2004. Sure, the 2020 offense won't win any prizes, but if they don't turn the ball over, they should be in a lot of football games.

Does anyone doubt the Patriots would tank this year for Trevor though? They have been pretty spoiled over the last almost 2 decades at QB. Not hard to imagine them wanting to do everything possible to get Trevor. 
Ego-wise there is no way he is looking to willingly tank the first year he is without Brady.

Even if they tried to tank they wouldn’t get the top pick. Defense is too good and will keep them in most games. 

They will find whatever mismatches they can on offense, like always, and keep going to it until someone stops them. 

And they still play in the weakest division in the NFL. Wouldn’t be shocked if they get to 9 or 10 wins.

No. This isn't the 2011 Colts. And BB would never lose on purpose. That said, if the other 3 teams in the AFC East could just get their collective acts together and improve just moderately, the Pats will finish below .500. 

I love Rotoworld's editorializing in an attempt to create their own reality. Sure, they acknowledge that Stidham is more likely to start this year, but by implication, the Patriots shouldn't be going in that direction.

I don't get why the members of the sports media have such a hard time believing that NE is going with Stidham. BB has coached in 12 Super Bowls, he should have a handle of who should be the one leading his team. Yet there are so many sports reporters who still even now don't put any stock in NE sticking with Stidham. I have seen / heard / read about Stidham, and as soon as his name gets brought up, so do the words "3-4 wins" and "tanking for Trevor."
2 words, Matt Cassel. They won 11 games with that loser.

This times 1,000. BB thinks he has a competitive team. I heard an interview with him last year where he said he had 20 or 21 players on defense that were worthy of starting . . . and he had to figure out what to do with them all. They lost a few starters in free agency, but they have plenty of guys waiting in the wings and just drafted a bunch more. Their defense will be very strong again this year. It is clear (to me anyway) that they are continuing with their desire to be strong defensively and on special teams. Offensively, they will try to establish the run and not take too many chances. This is the same model that worked when Brady was young and when Brady was old.

People don't remember that the 2001 team had very few weapons in the receiving game. They had Troy Brown (1200 receiving yards) and David Patten (750 receiving yards) . . . and no one else over 200 receiving yards (Terry Glenn had 204 yards, but close enough). The 2003 team had only 2 players with more than 500 receiving yards (Branch with 803 and Givens with 510). Givens and Patten were the only two guys over 500 receiving yards in 2004. Sure, the 2020 offense won't win any prizes, but if they don't turn the ball over, they should be in a lot of football games.
Great posting here.  Both those early Super Bowls and the most recent did not exactly have an imposing passing game.  People are dancing on the Patriots' grave too early. The defense is still very strong.

Users who are viewing this thread