What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (2 Viewers)

But they had a lot better offensive weapons back then along with Brady. They don't have jack diddly squat right now....
New England certainly has many unknowns and could see a pretty broad range of potential win totals next year. Here is their track record in several of their seasons with limited weapons on offense:

2001: Won Super Bowl (11-5):
Top 5 in receiving yards: Troy Brown (1199), David Patten (749), Terry Glenn (204), Antowain Smith (192), Kevin Faulk (189)

2003: Won Super Bowl (14-2):
Top 5 in receiving yards: Deion Branch (803), David Givens (510), Troy Brown (472), Kevin Faulk, (440), Daniel Graham (409)

2004: Won Super Bowl (14-2):
Top 5 in receiving yards: David Givens (874), David Patten (800), Deion Branch (454), Daniel Graham (364), Kevin Faulk (249)

2006: Lost in AFCCG (12-4):
Top 5 in receiving yards: Reche Caldwell (760), Ben Watson (643), Troy Brown (384), Kevin Faulk (356), Doug Gabriel (344)

2010: Lost in Divisional Round (14-2):
Top 5 in receiving yards: Post injury Wes Welker (848), Deion Branch (706), Rookie Aaron Hernandez (563), Rookie Gronk (546), Brandon Tate (432)

2018: Won Super Bowl (11-5):
Top 5 in receiving yards: Julian Edelman (850), James White (751), Josh Gordon (720), Gronk (682), Chris Hogan (532)

The point is, NE has had winning seasons with limited weapons and limited production in the past. Certainly Brady played well when it mattered and was a huge piece of the puzzle. The league is more high scoring then it used to be, so having a limited offense could be a bigger obstacle to overcome than back in the day. I just listed 6 years where they went a combined 76-18 with only one guy having more than 1,000 receiving yards.

A former Patriots scout was interviewed on the radio a couple of weeks ago. He is still in touch with plenty of NE scouts, and his takeaway was NE feels Stidham is the best QB they have had other than Brady over their entire run. He said they like him more than they did Garoppolo. Maybe he just playing the role of good soldier, but I don't see why he would just say that if there wasn't some basis to bring it up.

Stidham could be a dud. The offense could be bland and ineffective. I would not call the weapons I just listed as being "a lot better" than the guys they have now. Yes, it is a passing league now, and NE ranked #1 against the pass in pretty much every category. Yes, that was aided by having some week opponents last year (and on paper this year's schedule looks tougher). But BB has shown that his teams can win with strong defensive units and some less than stellar offensive talent.

I am not suggesting that NE will win 13 or 14 games. But I would tend to think they won't be as abysmal as some people think. They had Chris Mortensen, Dan Orlovsky, and Mel Kiper on sports Center last night. They predicted NE to finish dead last in the AFC East this year. After the draft, Vegas still has NE favored to win the division.

New England Patriots: +115
Buffalo Bills: +160
New York Jets: +700
Miami Dolphins: +700

Well you bring up a good point, they curtained have surprised us in the past. But again, between being Bradyless and the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins all improving over the last year or two I think its no wonder so many are predicting their fall. I'm sure BB will be motivated to win without Brady just like Brady will be with the Bucs. 

Well you bring up a good point, they curtained have surprised us in the past. But again, between being Bradyless and the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins all improving over the last year or two I think its no wonder so many are predicting their fall. I'm sure BB will be motivated to win without Brady just like Brady will be with the Bucs. 
This is where different people will have different opinions. IMO, there is not that much difference between the 2019 Patriots with Brady and the 2020 Patriots without Brady / with Stidham. I think Brady will continue to show some additional decline as a 43 year old. Cost wise, I don't think NE will see that much difference in the productivity of the offense paying Stidham $833K compared to if they had to pay Brady $25-30M. Either way, the offense was going to be mediocre. So IMO, it made way more sense to invest that $$$ in other positions and see what they have in Stidham. I doubt they would be serious contenders this year no matter who was the QB.

As outlined in several other threads, NE will have a bevy of draft picks next year, will shed a ton of dead cap money, and are projected to have close to $100M in cap space. Their goal this year should be to develop some younger players, get their recent draft picks integrated, and see if Stidham can play. The defense and having BB as a coach should keep them in a lot of games. They may not score 40 points, but they should win some ugly games like 16-9 next year.

I am not suggesting that NE will win 13 or 14 games. But I would tend to think they won't be as abysmal as some people think. They had Chris Mortensen, Dan Orlovsky, and Mel Kiper on sports Center last night. They predicted NE to finish dead last in the AFC East this year. After the draft, Vegas still has NE favored to win the division.

That feels like ESPN just trying to make controversy. That is kind of what that network has become over the years.

I see no reason why NE can't win that division this year, even if Stidham sucks, and they turn it over to Hoyer. That division feels completely wide open. The Bills give me a very similar vibe to what Chicago did a year ago, and the Jags did 2 years ago, where if the defense takes even a slight step back, I have zero confidence the QB can elevate the team to compensate.

If I were feeling especially bold, that +700 for the Jets is kind of interesting. They were 7-6 in Darnold's starts last year. 

As far as Cam goes, among teams that actually have cap space, and could use another QB, the following 4 teams make sense to me.

1. Washington-yes I know they traded for Kyle Allen, but he's not a deal breaker with their cap space. It'd be a poor use of a 5th round pick, but that was likely always the case. This would be Cam's best shot at a starting job.

2. Tennessee-how confident can anyone be in Tannehill, and the Titans have a lot of cap space, and offer an offense that is suited to Cam's skill set. He could be a high-end insurance policy on Tannehill reverting to career norms.

3. Denver-they have built a heck of a team this offseason, it is all seemingly dependent on if Drew Lock can bring it all together.

4. Baltimore-this is a pure injury only backup role. Good chance at a ring here too.

Anarchy99 said:

The pats are a heavy favorite to win the division imo. I'd say theyre also not going anywhere in the playoffs with that offense but last in that division seems highly unlikely. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where different people will have different opinions. IMO, there is not that much difference between the 2019 Patriots with Brady and the 2020 Patriots without Brady / with Stidham.
Dave I see them going 4-12......and really they should, throw Stidham to the wolves an try to get a top 3 pick, draft Lawrence/Fields...

Will BB tank? Nope he will play to win, but its a tall order.....they don't have the GOAT under center and I think the mystique left the building with him.

BB can only scheme so much.....

Redskins coach Ron Rivera said "I think with Cam (Newton), and I have thought about it, I mean, it's something that's run through my mind, and it's about the situation and circumstances. I'm not sure I would do it. I'm not sure if I wouldn't do it. It depends on circumstances."

Rivera added, "You know, the thing about Cam really is the situation ... We're in a situation where we've got two really young quarterbacks, one that's been with us, been in the system, understands how we want things done and the other one is a guy who was taken last year in the first round and shows some promise." Previously the Redskins' new coach said that they passed on Tua Tagovailoa with the No. 2 overall pick because he saw enough from Haskins to give the second-year QB a shot to lead the offense in 2020. Ultimately, it's going to be hard for Cam to find a team until they're able to conduct a physical.

SOURCE: Around the NFL on Twitter

Apr 30, 2020, 11:42 AM ET

Let this and Andrew Luck be a case study of why you must spend a ton of draft capital on your offensive line.  2 careers completely shot because their franchises refused to protect them.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Cam Newton is willing to consider offers to be a backup quarterback. 

Soon-to-be 31-year-old Newton should be a starter, but there are not any starting jobs left. A glutted quarterback market produced very soft deals for fellow starters-turned-No. 2s Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton. Someone should have signed Newton long before the draft, but concerns about his health and the inability of teams to conduct physicals amidst the COVID-19 pandemic undoubtedly worked against him. "Backup Cam Newton" is a strange world, but the one we will be living in this fall.  

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

May 7, 2020, 2:40 PM ET

Let this and Andrew Luck be a case study of why you must spend a ton of draft capital on your offensive line.  2 careers completely shot because their franchises refused to protect them.
While each team could have done more on the o-line, I think both Newton and Luck are responsible for at least 50% of the punishment they took in their careers. Both guys were always waiting as long as possible to hit big plays, and would both(especially Newton) take unnecessary hits rushing the ball. 

They both had better lines than Philip Rivers has for most of his career, but he stayed very healthy, because he played a different style. Sacks/hits are often(usually?) a QB issue more than an o-line issue. 

While each team could have done more on the o-line, I think both Newton and Luck are responsible for at least 50% of the punishment they took in their careers. Both guys were always waiting as long as possible to hit big plays, and would both(especially Newton) take unnecessary hits rushing the ball. 

They both had better lines than Philip Rivers has for most of his career, but he stayed very healthy, because he played a different style. Sacks/hits are often(usually?) a QB issue more than an o-line issue. 
I can speak more on Newton because I watch the Panthers every week, but that was a perfect storm of the team failing to solve offensive line (especially at left tackle after Jordan Gross retired) and failing to get him offensive weapons during a stretch of his prime years, plus having a lot of designed runs in the offense (which was the right thing given his skill set, even as everyone knew it would shorten his career; this was an annual debate in Carolina), plus a different standard for allowable hits against him by officials. 

I can speak more on Newton because I watch the Panthers every week, but that was a perfect storm of the team failing to solve offensive line (especially at left tackle after Jordan Gross retired) and failing to get him offensive weapons during a stretch of his prime years, plus having a lot of designed runs in the offense (which was the right thing given his skill set, even as everyone knew it would shorten his career; this was an annual debate in Carolina), plus a different standard for allowable hits against him by officials. 
As a neutral observer that neither liked or disliked the Panthers that last bit was huge imo. I've NEVER seen a superstar MVP-type QB take as much abuse as Cam without getting flagged. It was unreal. I've seen hits against Cam not even get a flag that might of resulted in a possible ejection if a Brees/Brady/Rodgers were hit in a similar way. I'm not talking about hits downfield on runs, either. I'm talking about hits behind the LOS.

Truthfully, I never liked Cams personality much and maybe that bleeds over to refs. I know it certainly does in the NBA and it's pretty well documented by those refs themselves. Or maybe the refs were just in awe of Cams size and athleticism and it didn't LOOK like he was getting hurt because he was just as big and athletic as the defender making the hit? Whatever it was, it was crazy the hits he would endure without getting a flag at that particular position where defenders expected to roll over while making a sack to ensure your body weight doesn't land on the QB while making a sack. 

To be fair to the Panthers, they tried very hard to get him weapons. From 2014-2018 they invested 2 1sts and 2 2nds at WR, as while as a 1st at RB. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another team that invested as much during that stretch at the skill positions. 

As a neutral observer that neither liked or disliked the Panthers that last bit was huge imo. I've NEVER seen a superstar MVP-type QB take as much abuse as Cam without getting flagged. It was unreal. I've seen hits against Cam not even get a flag that might of resulted in a possible ejection if a Brees/Brady/Rodgers were hit in a similar way. I'm not talking about hits downfield on runs, either. I'm talking about hits behind the LOS.
I agree that Newton has been very unfairly treated by officials. The only other "MVP type" QB I've seen get that treatment is Roethlisberger. Maybe its a size thing, maybe its an attitude thing?

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
I agree that Newton has been very unfairly treated by officials. The only other "MVP type" QB I've seen get that treatment is Roethlisberger. Maybe its a size thing, maybe its an attitude thing?
I completely agree with BigBen. I feel like in the case of BigBen and Rivers most of those hits are a result of those players just holding the ball so long and waiting until the very last second to get rid of it. I don't feel that's quite the same case for the big hits Cam absorbs. He just takes the hits a RB would normally takes, and the game keeps on moving even if he's behind the LOS and should be treated like a QB.

Coach Anthony Lynn said the Chargers considered signing free agent QB Cam Newton.

Specifically Newton stated, "Absolutely, Cam is a tremendous quarterback ... He’s been MVP of this league, he’s led his team to the Super Bowl and he’s healthy now from what I hear. Cam is going to be on somebody’s roster and he’s going to help somebody win a few games, but yeah, we did take a look at that, sure.” Lynn then gave a boost of confidence to backups Tyrod Taylor and Easton Stick. Obviously first-round pick Justin Herbert is the favorite to lead the offense in starts. It remains to be seen who will give Cam his next chance. He's reportedly open to taking a backup job.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

May 18, 2020, 9:44 AM ET

There are several people with ties to the Patriots still saying there is a non-zero chance Newton ends up in NE (Willie McGinest, Mike Lombardi, Greg Bedard, and Mike Giardi). They have used qualifiers like "shown no interest so far," "NE still not interested in Newton at this point," or "things could change if they free up some cap space." I personally am not sold that the Patriots have much interest in Newton (Josh McDaniels is said not to be a big Cam fan). But as long as Newton is a free agent, people will try to get him on the NE roster.

Its unreal how little he is now valued in 1 QB league. In one of my 12 team PPR dynasty leagues, I HAD to cut a player before the draft, and Cam was my least valuable commodity on the roster. I shopped him for any pick this year or next and the only thing I got was $2 bidding bucks. Talk about a former league MVP for cheap! ;)

Its unreal how little he is now valued in 1 QB league. In one of my 12 team PPR dynasty leagues, I HAD to cut a player before the draft, and Cam was my least valuable commodity on the roster. I shopped him for any pick this year or next and the only thing I got was $2 bidding bucks. Talk about a former league MVP for cheap! ;)
not unexpected.  He has no team and doesn't look like he will get a starting gig once he does sign.  It would be the same as any other backup QB to be.  There really isn't any reason to give up anything for him in dynasty. 

I am in the same boat, I have Lamar, Jones, Newton and Carr.  I have been trying to give away Newton to free up a roster spot.  Nobody bites at all.  And this is in a 12 team SF league.

not unexpected.  He has no team and doesn't look like he will get a starting gig once he does sign.  It would be the same as any other backup QB to be.  There really isn't any reason to give up anything for him in dynasty. 

I am in the same boat, I have Lamar, Jones, Newton and Carr.  I have been trying to give away Newton to free up a roster spot.  Nobody bites at all.  And this is in a 12 team SF league.
I mean I guess hold on to him if you have the space.  I don't see him being a backup anywhere, almost see him going to a team once their starter blows a knee at some point in the season.  If a team wanted him as their backup, you think they would have done so by now.

I mean I guess hold on to him if you have the space.  I don't see him being a backup anywhere, almost see him going to a team once their starter blows a knee at some point in the season.  If a team wanted him as their backup, you think they would have done so by now.
But if that is his best case scenario then he should still be available if you were to drop him.  Nobody is picking him up (fantasy wise) if this is the situation. 

I thought for sure this is where Cam would end up and it's a great fit for both the team and Cam. Chargers have a top 5 defense,improved OL and weapons at every position other than QB. With Cam this team is a Superbowl contender and as is like 6-8 wins imo.  Plus they are a team trying to build a new fanbase and sell some tickets.

But if that is his best case scenario then he should still be available if you were to drop him.  Nobody is picking him up (fantasy wise) if this is the situation. 
Quite possibly yes.  So you could drop him.  But if he does become a starter somewhere, in a SF league I would think he would hold more value than most current backup QB's.  I'm assuming no backup QB's are owned in your league, but would be instantly picked up should a starter go down.  So by keeping him, you have the leg up on the 'race' for that backup qb who gets thrown into the starter role and you don't have to bid for him.  You also don't have to guess which backup it will be, you have the backup that could be the starter if almost any qb in the league goes down.

Again I wouldn't keep him in most leagues but if your benches are deep then why not.

Quite possibly yes.  So you could drop him.  But if he does become a starter somewhere, in a SF league I would think he would hold more value than most current backup QB's.  I'm assuming no backup QB's are owned in your league, but would be instantly picked up should a starter go down.  So by keeping him, you have the leg up on the 'race' for that backup qb who gets thrown into the starter role and you don't have to bid for him.  You also don't have to guess which backup it will be, you have the backup that could be the starter if almost any qb in the league goes down.

Again I wouldn't keep him in most leagues but if your benches are deep then why not.
Agreed.  I also think if you are QB needy that he is a great speculative add that you can get for almost nothing at this point.

We keep 15 but have a roster size of 45 in season.  Its SF with full IDP
Ya I guess that's tough.  If you have someone better in your top 15 than it makes sense to drop him.  But Cam is DEFINITELY worth a roster spot in a 45 man IDP SF league.

Ya I guess that's tough.  If you have someone better in your top 15 than it makes sense to drop him.  But Cam is DEFINITELY worth a roster spot in a 45 man IDP SF league.
Agree but not top 15 necessarily.  Don't have to cut down until mid August. 

@rickyg UPDATE THE THREAD

Patriots signed QB Cam Newton, formerly of the Panthers, to a one-year contract.

Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, it’s an “incentive-laden” deal, and NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport calls it a bare-minimum one-year pact worth up to $7.5 million. The former MVP just recently turned 31 and was released by the Panthers what felt like an eternity ago this offseason. He appeared in just two games last season thanks to a foot injury, and shoulder issues have also plagued him in the past. Still, if healthy, which is the belief right now for Newton, he offers some of the highest upside of any quarterback in the NFL. Newton will compete with sophomore Jarrett Stidham for No. 1 duties when training camp opens next month. Newton should have no problem beating Stidham out, assuming he’s at 100 percent health. The Patriots are suddenly very interesting again post-Tom Brady.

FWIW, I still see Stidham starting the season as the starter. No way Cam could learn the playbook and get in sync with the offense when they can’t even practice. 

Mike Tannenbaum @RealTannenbaum

Josh McDaniels drafted Tim Tebow in Denver; there will be a lot of similarities in what New England now does with Newton, makes their Offense much more diverse and harder to defend than Jarrett Stidham.
https://twitter.com/realtannenbaum/status/1277396043538333696?s=21

Hayden Winks  @HaydenWinks

In his lone year as starter, Tebow averaged 47.1 rushing yards on 8.7 carries per game. The Broncos were last in team pass attempts (429) and first in team rush attempts (546).

Patriots have the most cap spent on guards. I'm expecting NE to be one of the run-heaviest offenses.
https://twitter.com/haydenwinks/status/1277398786478931968?s=21

Hayden Winks @HaydenWinks

How much could the Patriots pass/run splits change with Cam? A lot. Patriots passed the ball at the second highest rate with a lead last season. I expect that number to drop significantly. Like @RealTannenbaum noted, McDaniels has designed an OFF with a mobile QB. Very run heavy.
https://twitter.com/haydenwinks/status/1277400472404574209?s=21

FWIW, I still see Stidham starting the season as the starter. No way Cam could learn the playbook and get in sync with the offense when they can’t even practice. 
Maybe but what else does Cam have to do with his time.Plus season most likely not starting on time.

As some people have already guesses, they're not going to have the same playbook from last year. Pats probably will install a new O centered around more runs, misdirection plays and play-action in order to play to the strengths of the personnel.

If Cam becomes the starter, wouldn't make sense to keep the same playbook considering Brady is gone and the talent left doesn't really support the group.

The guy on ESPN was just on, Olversky, and he thinks McDaniels will install similar plays and playbook as what he did in Denver when he had Tebow. Interesting thought. Maybe they run heavy and have more balance. With Brady they usually passed a lot. Loved Brady, but he was no threat at running... LBs had five minutes usually to make a tackle before Brady could get a first down. 
Have to see how his shoulder injury has healed...also I thought he had Liz Frank too.  If healthy Newt will be a steal, only concern is how much talent does NE have at the WR and TE postions?

What McDaniels did with Tebow wasn't a real offense, it was a series of compromises based on a lack of alternatives ( And I say this as a Tebow fan in general)

If the Patriots try that with Newton, he's going to get injured again and fast. Newton is not Tebow ( no one is Tebow when it comes to toughness and Tebow was still very young then)

The NFL has evolved into a passing league for a reason. Run heavy offenses are essentially taxed now. The networks want an Air show. If you want to ground and pound in todays game, you'll get hit with a ton more calls against your line. The refs have been conditioned that way.

Game flow is another issue. If the Patriots are behind a lot ( outlook for them doesn't look rosy), then this ground and pound methodology goes out the window.

You could argue the Patriots could try to weaponize Newton by trying for more splash plays, but he's not particularly well versed in that either.

Newton was available for a reason. I'm not saying he won't work out, but I am saying he's got a big ### mountain to climb first.
3 of the 5 best teams last year were run heavy (Ravens, 49ers, Titans), one was balanced (Saints) and one was pass heavy (Chiefs)

There may be a few things Tebow can do that Cam can't but there are way more that Cam (or any NFL QB tbh) can do that Tebow can't

There is certainly bust risk though for this. Historically Cam and BB/McDaniels have had very different ideas of what a QB should be/do

What McDaniels did with Tebow wasn't a real offense, it was a series of compromises based on a lack of alternatives ( And I say this as a Tebow fan in general)

If the Patriots try that with Newton, he's going to get injured again and fast. Newton is not Tebow ( no one is Tebow when it comes to toughness and Tebow was still very young then)

The NFL has evolved into a passing league for a reason. Run heavy offenses are essentially taxed now. The networks want an Air show. If you want to ground and pound in todays game, you'll get hit with a ton more calls against your line. The refs have been conditioned that way.

Game flow is another issue. If the Patriots are behind a lot ( outlook for them doesn't look rosy), then this ground and pound methodology goes out the window.

You could argue the Patriots could try to weaponize Newton by trying for more splash plays, but he's not particularly well versed in that either.

Newton was available for a reason. I'm not saying he won't work out, but I am saying he's got a big ### mountain to climb first.
Tebow ran a gimmick offense for not even a full season. 271 attempts, 46.5% completions and 1729. Cam was an 8 year starter that won the MVP and took his team to the superbowl. Seem like pretty different players to me. I think bringing up what McDaniels did with Tebow 10 years ago is mostly irrelevant. 

In the latest Joe Bryant FootballGuys- e-mail blast:

Here we go...

This one has multiple angles. Our Sigmund Bloom had this: "Cam Newton should be a low QB1 because of the running ability and goal-line love. Takes the edge off of what little appeal there was left in Michel. Pass attempts should top out around 500. McCaffrey's 2018 should pump a little life back into James White 2020 FF outlook. There's no one in the Greg Olsen or Kelvin Benjamin mold on the roster, but perhaps if we hear that Harry is being molded as a big slot receiver that could be interesting. At least we know Cam will throw to contested-catch receivers."

Also I can't believe the league let Belichick do this. I do not understand why one of the best quarterbacks of this era was allowed to be on the street for so long. if he's broken, so be it, the upside he adds to your offense if healthy is worth the $ to see what happens.

Also pay attention when Bill Belichick gushes about someone. From 2017:

"I think when you're talking about mobile quarterbacks -- guys that are tough to handle, can throw, run, make good decisions ... -- I would put him at the top of the list," Belichick said Wednesday. "Not saying there aren't a lot of other good players that do that, but I would say of all the guys we played recently in the last couple of years, I think he's the hardest guy to (defend). He makes good decisions, can run. He's strong. He's hard to tackle. He can do a lot of different things. He can beat you in a lot of different ways. We saw that in the game in 2013. I would put him at the top of the list. I'm not saying the other guys aren't a problem, because they are. But he's maybe public enemy No. 1."

On the other side, Clayton Gray had this: "I know we all love the player Cam Newton once was, but this contract is a bare-minimum, incentive-laden deal for a quarterback no one wanted to throw money at. Before we make N'Keal Harry a top-20 receiver, let's also accept the possibility that Newton doesn't have it anymore. Before we anoint Newton as the unquestioned starter, let's also accept the possibility that the contract is structured so that New England could cut Newton in the preseason if they are happy with Stidham."

We'll likely know more here soon. One thing's for sure: this is going to be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread