What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (2 Viewers)

No preseason makes the QBs battle tougher for Cam I suppose. No competitive reps to build chemistry, or make mistakes without cost.

Has anyone else listened to the Cam Chronicles on the Ringer?  Pretty in depth 6 part episode about his career.  Seems like he also knew in Jan he was not going to play any more for the Panthers so his "theatrics" about everything is for show.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Cam Newton will have to compete for the starting job.

"That spot is the same as all the other spots. We have a long way to go. We'll see how things turn out," Belichick said in his first press conference since Newton signed. "I can't control how players perform; that's up to them. We'll give everyone an opportunity and see what happens." This may sound like coachspeak, but Newton's contract ($550K guaranteed) suggests he'll need to earn the starting job. He has the edge over Jarrett Stidham and a 34-year-old Brian Hoyer, though Newton went unsigned into June and hasn't played a full season since 2017. Newton's upside may be overrated on what looks like a run-heavy offense. He carries the risk of getting waived or landing on IR. 

SOURCE: ESPN Boston

Jul 31, 2020, 6:20 PM ET

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Cam Newton will have to compete for the starting job.

"That spot is the same as all the other spots. We have a long way to go. We'll see how things turn out," Belichick said in his first press conference since Newton signed. "I can't control how players perform; that's up to them. We'll give everyone an opportunity and see what happens." This may sound like coachspeak, but Newton's contract ($550K guaranteed) suggests he'll need to earn the starting job. He has the edge over Jarrett Stidham and a 34-year-old Brian Hoyer, though Newton went unsigned into June and hasn't played a full season since 2017. Newton's upside may be overrated on what looks like a run-heavy offense. He carries the risk of getting waived or landing on IR. 

SOURCE: ESPN Boston

Jul 31, 2020, 6:20 PM ET
Coach speak. Newton would have to be pretty bad not to be the starter. 

Could be a short marriage.  Newton has always been immature and that won’t fly with Belichick.
C Newton gets New England to the playoffs and all the old nonsense is forgotten. His play will
dictate what happens next year contract wise. He is not going to self destruct and make the
doubters right. 

I miss all the immature things he did around town.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/15311280
What about the time he told a reporter ‘it’s funny, that question question coming from a woman’
He's a dumb jock.  He apologized and said the joke was on him.  Who knows if he meant it or not.

On the other hand...

Newton was recognized by the NFL for his work off the field, including his foundation and athletic events for kids. Since 2012, Newton's foundation has provided $5.12 million in grant funding, year-round programming resources and donations to schools and non-profit organizations in Charlotte and his hometown of Atlanta. 
Plenty of people that would have nailed him to the wall around here.  Never heard anything about drugs or drunken behavior.  Never heard anything about fights.  Plenty of stories about him making appearances around town with kids.

Earlier today, the Carolina Panthers posted an album of photos on panthers.com of Cam Newton spending a day with some children courtesy of the Make-A-Wish and Cam NewtonFoundations. Those photos can be found here.

The pictures depict Cam and the kids hanging out in the Panthers locker room, tossing a football on the field inside Bank of America stadium, and making pizzas. 

Newton is often maligned and unfairly criticized by fans outside the Carolinas and even sometimes by fans of the team he’s played for since 2011. Despite that, he continues to do good deeds for the community without any pomp and circumstance or extra effort to make his efforts known to the general population. You may question the hats he chooses to wear. You may question why he dyed his goatee blond last year. But you can’t question that he has a big heart and that we’re fortunate to have such a benevolent man quarterbacking our favorite team. 
I won't argue that he had some faults.  But the good far outweighed the bad.  The guy has a huge heart and was a difference maker in the community.  I wish him well in in New England and I hope he's successful so he can continue to do good things in the place of his choosing.

What about the time he told a reporter ‘it’s funny, that question question coming from a woman’
He wasn't wrong.  It is "funny" (strange) for a woman to ask that type of question because it doesn't happen as much as it should.  The intention wasn't to be a derogatory statement to belittle the reporter.  It was more like a realization that he doesn't get many questions like that from women.  This was a non-issue blown into a large issue.

He wasn't wrong.  It is "funny" (strange) for a woman to ask that type of question because it doesn't happen as much as it should.  The intention wasn't to be a derogatory statement to belittle the reporter.  It was more like a realization that he doesn't get many questions like that from women.  This was a non-issue blown into a large issue.
That's you're opinion that it was a non-issue. I tend to agree. Nonetheless, it literally was not a non-issue. This is the 21st century. 

pantherclub said:
If the panthers invested in newton by building a solid oline then who knows how many super bowls he would have won
Speaking as an Eagles fan thru the McNabb years and a supposed WR deficiency, you are chasing a what if that these mental turds couldn’t overcome with optimal circumstances. 

In my memory, Belichick has has some of the tougher player personalities to deal with over the years (thinking, in just skill positions, Moss, Dillon, Fryar, Hernandez, Ochocinco, Gordon, Blount ...) and seems to have had one or no real brush ups with any of them. If anyone has shown the ability to bring troubled players into the system and productivity, he has. I don't think Cam, who will always try his best if headed in the right direction, will be beyond BB's ability to work with.

Catbird said:
In my memory, Belichick has has some of the tougher player personalities to deal with over the years (thinking, in just skill positions, Moss, Dillon, Fryar, Hernandez, Ochocinco, Gordon, Blount ...) and seems to have had one or no real brush ups with any of them. If anyone has shown the ability to bring troubled players into the system and productivity, he has. I don't think Cam, who will always try his best if headed in the right direction, will be beyond BB's ability to work with.
Corey Dillon comes to mind.

Coming into this thread I knew there would be 2-3 of the usual dour faces grumbling about anything Patriots related.

They did not disappoint :lol:  

Are you serious? You realize that the information in the article is relevant to both player threads, right?
Yes, but does it have to be linked in both threads?  We get enough spam as it is.  Perhaps try more of your own thoughts in threads than just linking from sites?  Hell, everyone here reads Rotoworld and other sites.  Most of the linked info is already known.   I don't mind some of that, but it literally fills up the front page daily, thus the reason I reply to them after reading to try and generate discussion with you about it, but mostly you just post links.  Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but does it have to be linked in both threads?  We get enough spam as it is.  Perhaps try more of your own thoughts in threads than just linking from sites?  Hell, everyone here reads Rotoworld and other sites.  Most of the linked info is already known.   I don't mind some of that, but it literally fills up the front page daily, thus the reason I reply to them after reading to try and generate discussion with you about it, but mostly you just post links.  Oh well.
Agree to disagree here. You make an assumption in the bolded text that just simply isn’t 100% true. I have had many here in the FBG community tell me that they don’t always have the time to scour the internet for information scattered across multiple sources, so they appreciate the information curation that takes place here in the Shark Pool. There is also times where the information added is well known; however, there are also times where the information added is a little more obscure or it can be information that adds to the debate and discussion on the different viewpoints that take place within the player threads.

Adding your thoughts and opinions is your jam and that’s great - we both contribute to the Shark Pool in different methods.

Have a great season!

Faust

Faust has been around as long as Fauci. All he does is post information, which takes a ton of time to locate and post On his own time. Why would anyone want to throw him down and kick him a few times. He’s an FBG war hero that earned the Medal of Honor. 
I know this has come up in the past (NOT by me in a long time), but I was objecting to posting the same links in multiple threads, regardless if they are related.  Having the front page full of Rotoworld (and source) links daily is accepted here at FBGs, and that is OK to some extent, but IMO is a bit much sometimes.   So I tried replying to the content of those links in hopes to get a discussion going about the information in those links with Faust , but he doesn't really want to discuss the links he posts, just rapid cut and paste.  That is OK too, but I have to tell you that most of it is something I've already read from Rotoworld.  I know some will say they like it so they don't have to read Rotoworld and other sources, and that too is fine, but don't deny the spamming, especially the same links in multiple threads.

I know this has come up in the past (NOT by me in a long time), but I was objecting to posting the same links in multiple threads, regardless if they are related.  Having the front page full of Rotoworld (and source) links daily is accepted here at FBGs, and that is OK to some extent, but IMO is a bit much sometimes.   So I tried replying to the content of those links in hopes to get a dialog about the information going with Faust , but he doesn't really want to discuss the links he posts, just rapid cut and paste.  That is OK too, but I have to tell you that most of it is something I've already read from Rotoworld.  I know some will say they like it so they don't have to read Rotoworld and other sources, and that too is fine, but don't deny the spamming, especially the same links in multiple threads.
I understand that there are usually multiple threads at the same time involving the same information for more than one player and also in team threads. I agree that having a similar dialogue in multiple threads gets annoying. However, after a day or two, all the threads will get separated, so looking at the links down the road I find it helpful that they are in each thread if I needed to see the actual article. Like you, most things I see before the links are posted, but not everyone sits and has time to scan for football news all day. Faust is only trying to be helpful and keep people better informed. 

Like you, most things I see before the links are posted, but not everyone sits and has time to scan for football news all day. Faust is only trying to be helpful and keep people better informed. 
It takes me 30 seconds at Rotoworld to see most of this information, so it's not a lot of time to scan football news all day, but that is taking away from my intent, which is posting the same links multiple times.  It's bad enough having the the front page full of nothing but Faust rapid cut and paste of links.  But that is my opinion and I can respect others that like it, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't post what I did.  

What if I don't care about Jarett Stidham and was reading up on Cam Newton?  I'd be happy the Faust posted this in both threads because I may have missed it.  I don't go on Rotoworld or every news outlet for sports, I come here and browse occasionally.  IMO, complaining about someone posting relevant information is way worse than posting relevant information in 2 threads, you've already spawned 9 comments about this - totally unnecessary.

What if I don't care about Jarett Stidham and was reading up on Cam Newton?  I'd be happy the Faust posted this in both threads because I may have missed it.  I don't go on Rotoworld or every news outlet for sports, I come here and browse occasionally.  IMO, complaining about someone posting relevant information is way worse than posting relevant information in 2 threads, you've already spawned 9 comments about this - totally unnecessary.
Yeah, I know it's unpopular to go against some of this.  I've seen the outrage posted before.  Posters here don't mind the front page full of cut and paste links.  I knew there would be backlash over it, but that's just my opinion and I can respect yours as well.

You're coming across really bad here. 

BB is a genius.

Cam never threw it in the dirt.  Now 8 ft tall WRs would come in handy.
Never? You sure? ;) But you are right, it was the passes only a T-Rex could catch (if they had bigger arms) that was the consistent issue for him

And after one practice in NE, the QB pecking order in terms of getting first team reps was: Hoyer, Stidham, Newton. Bill being Bill. 

Users who are viewing this thread