What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (2 Viewers)

Yeah, if you did pick Newton he gets Jets on Wentz bye week. 

I like Newton’s floor. He may be a #8 to #10 QB after he expands his playbook comfort ability. 
Cam is a risky fantasy play. Yeah, he had 75 yards rushing and 2 TD yesterday, but if he DOESN’T get that, it’s unlikely he will have the passing totals to make up for it anytime soon. He’s the #7 QB so far this week with the MNF games still to play. He may be an ok fantasy starter, but early in the year I don’t think he will be a fantasy difference maker. Like you said, once he can get some passing totals, he will probably be worth starting with more confidence. 

Cam is a risky fantasy play. Yeah, he had 75 yards rushing and 2 TD yesterday, but if he DOESN’T get that, it’s unlikely he will have the passing totals to make up for it anytime soon. He’s the #7 QB so far this week with the MNF games still to play. He may be an ok fantasy starter, but early in the year I don’t think he will be a fantasy difference maker. Like you said, once he can get some passing totals, he will probably be worth starting with more confidence. 
Like I said he has a good solid floor due to his rushing just like the other QBs that rush well. 

That article is silly. No offense to you Faust because you didn’t write it. 

Brady never ran. Newton had 15 designed runs. Of course the playbook changed. The only other time in the last twenty or more years where it was similar was when Brissett started a game.

I do not think the plays called last Sunday can get anymore different than when Brady was QB. It really is a silly article. 

Fifteen designed runs sounds like the playbook added one play, at least.
It was RPO with Cam, many different directions and blocking schemes. All, with exception of a QB sneak, were non-existent For the most part with Brady. Brady was great at QB sneak though. 🙂

I am mostly on board with NE sticking with the framework of the McDaniels playbook. It is said there are thousands of plays, all with variations, hot reads, in play alternatives. Think of it as the Library of Congress in terms of plays. Clearly there are sections that Brady never visited, but that doesn’t mean there weren’t schemes, formations, and plays tucked away in there  for future use.

As I see it, BB and JM were excited to finally be able to run things they never could with Brady. That doesn’t mean they will all work, but I think that it gave them some renewed interest in coming up with some new options in the offense. 

NFL insider notebook: Why games have been shorter, Cam Newton to run less in Seattle, plus Week 2 picks

Excerpt:

Run, Cam, Run?

Cam Newton will run less versus Seattle. No, it's not because the Patriots are afraid of running him into the ground. And I'm not even saying it because of whatever real or perceived hamstring issue the quarterback may be dealing with.

It's simply that Pete Carroll's Seahawks have, for the most part, always known how to defend Newton's rushing.

Including playoffs, Newton is 2-6 all-time against Seattle. He's averaged 3.89 yards per rush on 64 carries in those eight games against the Seahawks, down from his career average of 5.08 yards per rush. Three of those games saw Newton rush 11 or more times for a total of just 64 yards.

"We've had to defend [Newton] for a long time. So, we do know him well, and we did see a lot of the concepts and principles that he's always been successful at utilizing," Pete Carroll told reporters this week. "I think it's a real indication of Bill's ability to use his talent. This was not the same offense we've seen in the past. They've obviously done a lot of work to tailor it to him and make sure he's a big part of. They're utilizing their personnel really well."

Newton's 15 rushes last week against Miami were the most in his career in regulation. As I wrote last month, sources close to Newton view his time off due to injury as a positive because he saved hundreds of hits to his 31-year-old body. Also, as previously reported, the concern isn't his surgically repaired foot more than it is the shoulder.

If Newton is stopped Sunday night in Seattle, that shouldn't come as a surprise. But should he be stymied on the ground, I will lean more toward crediting Seattle than believing the Patriots are already changing their plans for Newton two weeks in.

Only 42.55 pts this week in my league.  Can't wait for the Pats offense to get rolling.

My biggest gripe about Cam has always been his lack of urgency in the 2 min drill.  I would have thought Bill could have fixed that.  Cam definitely left a couple of extra plays in the cupboard.  

Things should get interesting now that the NE staff know they can open up the playbook.

My biggest gripe about Cam has always been his lack of urgency in the 2 min drill.  I would have thought Bill could have fixed that.  Cam definitely left a couple of extra plays in the cupboard.  

Things should get interesting now that the NE staff know they can open up the playbook.
I thought the OL looked really good in pass protection. Running the ball, not so much. Maybe Sony and that OL don’t mix. Probably Sony and any OL don’t mix. 

I have to admit, Cam was really good tonight......but he's not Russ.....Russ is a stone cold killer.

I found myself mostly happy about Cam being upended, so we didn't have to watch his subsequent, ridiculous celebration.

I have to admit, Cam was really good tonight......but he's not Russ.....Russ is a stone cold killer.

I found myself mostly happy about Cam being upended, so we didn't have to watch his subsequent, ridiculous celebration.
Cam also doesn’t have the same talent for skilled position players as Russ does. But you are correct that Wilson will make teams pay. 

Cam Newton completed 30-of-44 passes for 397 yards with a touchdown and an interception in the Patriots' Week 2 loss to Seattle.

Newton led the team in rushing with 47 yards and a pair of scores. The Patriots abandoned the run early and were playing from behind in the second half. That allowed Newton to rack up 44 attempts and run it 11 times. Newton looked as good as he has in years, making decisive throws while completing 68 percent of his passes.  He nearly led the Patriots to a comeback in the final minutes but was stopped on a designed run at the goal-line on the last play of the game. Newton has thrown for 472 yards with four rushing touchdowns (five total) through two games. He gets a matchup with Raiders in Week 3.

Sep 20, 2020, 11:39 PM ET

Design of the final play was garbage. Yeah, let's pack all 22 players between the hashes, then run the QB into the pile from the shotgun. This loss is on Belly.

Yahoo! - What to care/not care about from Week 2: Russell Wilson writes another chapter in a special season

5 Things I don’t care about

Anyone still doubting Cam Newton’s arm

If you are at any level familiar with Carolina Panthers football since 2011, there has to be a strange twinge of emotion watching Cam Newton fully thrive with the New England Patriots. On the one hand, you have to be a complete lunatic to not enjoy Newton making the most of his career’s second act. However, there has to be a small part inside a Carolina fan who can’t help but be irritated by the way this is playing out.

The Panthers spent the vast majority of Newton’s time in Carolina without putting a suitable ecosystem in place to maximize his unreal arm talent. Now in New England, Cam Newton has a strong offensive line and forward-thinking play-caller. The results speak for themselves. 

Week 1 saw Newton put up solid periphery metrics as a passer even as his rushing work stole the headlines. In Week 2 against Seattle, Cam dueled one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL to come up just a few yards short of a win. Newton passed for 397 yards at 9.0 yards per toss with a 68 percent completion rating. He lifted Julian Edelman to an unheard of 22 yards per reception with a career-high 179 yards. Newton fit-in laser after laser in high-leverage situations. 

Again, it’s amazing what a good ecosystem can do for a gifted passer. Make no mistake, we’re witnessing a Cam Newton who doesn’t look the least bit diminished. He looks like a player operating somewhere near his peak. 

How the rest of the NFL, especially several teams with clear problems in their quarterback spot, just let the Patriots have this version of Cam Newton when he was available for anyone to offer a contract is beyond reason. Bad for them, good for Cam. Newton belongs here with the Patriots.

Cam is back. And we’re lucky to be here watching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was a hater but not gonna hate. Showed me a lot tonight. 
I've had him on & off my fantasy teams over the years.  This is as accurate I have ever seen him.  I laughed as people were drafting Edelman this year.  Apparently I was wrong.

go figure.

I don't see any RB on NE worth much in fantasy though.

Design of the final play was garbage. Yeah, let's pack all 22 players between the hashes, then run the QB into the pile from the shotgun. This loss is on Belly.
Yeah, I didn't understand that playcall.  Maybe if the ball is inside the 1, but it was 2 yards.  Better to spread the field and have a back next to Cam and do the read option.

Cam looks great so far this year, and if he can stay healthy, this team could go far.   I was totally wrong about Cam so far.

It's funny too that all we heard last year was how poor TB12 had no one to throw to, yet Cam threw for almost 400 yards last night with mostly the same weapons, while Brady is sitting at 3 TD's-3 INT's despite throwing to much better options in Tampa (and Cam's receivers are just as new to him as Tom's are to him). 

How did Pats get Cam for nothing? How?
It had to be COVID. Teams couldn't get him in for a physical. 

I think the real question is, why did Carolina dump him, and then bring in such an inferior QB like Teddy.

Through 2 games, Newton looks great, and the Pats look like their Super Bowl contender selves again. 

For real, if he was an aww shucks, sweet guy who said the right thing every week, people would have signed him.

He wears funny hats, and does the Superman, so a bunch of fans have to watch their teams start Trubisky, Carr, Fitzpatrick, Haskins every week. 

I don't think it's a black thing. Maybe subconsciously, but NO OTHER coaches thought Rivera didn't use him properly??? 

Cam isn't a sit in the pocket, pinpoint passer. Big deal, this isn't 1987. Neither is Josh Allen. Belichick: Don't tell me what he can't do, tell me what he can do. When you let Cam do what he does well, he's real tough to deal with. Been that way since he threw for 400 yards his first two games in the league, a few months after people said he needed 2 years seasoning. 

It had to be COVID. Teams couldn't get him in for a physical. 

I think the real question is, why did Carolina dump him, and then bring in such an inferior QB like Teddy.

Through 2 games, Newton looks great, and the Pats look like their Super Bowl contender selves again. 
It seems like they didn’t want to negotiate a large money contract extension. The coach, from NO, was comfortable with Bridgewater due to his experience in NO. I think other teams were not into Cam since he had proven little since his shoulder injury. In fact, the Pats did not pay him his worth. So I think Newton chose less money to have crack at starting job rather than be a back up(like Dalton took in Dallas). It is turning out to be a great bargain for the Pats and a good deal for Newton. If he has a solid year he will make a huge contract out of his year in NE. 

In terms of fantasy, where do you guys rate Newton the rest of the year? Top 10? Top 5?
I don't really know, but I see about 9 plus matchups rest of the year. Playoffs he has two good matchups, but both on road, and a rough week 16 vs Bills at home. 

I do think the lack of decent targets will hurt him over the long haul. 

In terms of fantasy, where do you guys rate Newton the rest of the year? Top 10? Top 5?
In the "your biggest sleeper of 2020" thread I had him at QB5-8.  Right now he's ~QB5. 

I think barring crazy injuries, he's going to finish in that range I figured him at... possibly on the higher end. Likely the best QB value on the board in 2020. 

It seems like they didn’t want to negotiate a large money contract extension. The coach, from NO, was comfortable with Bridgewater due to his experience in NO. I think other teams were not into Cam since he had proven little since his shoulder injury. In fact, the Pats did not pay him his worth. So I think Newton chose less money to have crack at starting job rather than be a back up(like Dalton took in Dallas). It is turning out to be a great bargain for the Pats and a good deal for Newton. If he has a solid year he will make a huge contract out of his year in NE. 
He was washed up ..that throwing shoulder was bad , he had no range , his last year he wasn't even having fun anymore ..looked slow 

I think he will finish behind Jackson, Mahomes, Wilson, Murray and Dak, and maybe Allen.  So top 10.  And his floor is nice and high since he's going to get 40+ yds rushing, which is an extra TD pass in most leagues.  So I would say QB6 or QB7. 

Def makes me wish I won the claim, thought the 25% the guy bid to get him was a tad high. Now I'm scrambling cause I'm done with Wentz lol

Drafted him in the 11th round as a back-up to Stafford, but looks like my starting QB now. Also, was considering trying to package him for Murray but might hold.

Yeah, I didn't understand that playcall.  Maybe if the ball is inside the 1, but it was 2 yards.  Better to spread the field and have a back next to Cam and do the read option.
As someone else already pointed out this is the same play they have run for a few TD's so far this year.  I would have guessed Seattle was looking for it and the result proves that.  I think I would have run the pass option off that play again if I used that formation.  For me, I probably spread the field with 4 or 5 WR's and then let Cam QB draw if the front was right or roll out.  I also think a naked bootleg would have worked as well.  Overall it was an obvious play call based on what NE has done through two games and Seattle was ready for it. 

Drafted him in the 11th round as a back-up to Stafford, but looks like my starting QB now. Also, was considering trying to package him for Murray but might hold.
I would package him for Murray in a heartbeat but I doubt the Murray owner will go for it. 

As someone else already pointed out this is the same play they have run for a few TD's so far this year.  I would have guessed Seattle was looking for it and the result proves that.  I think I would have run the pass option off that play again if I used that formation.  For me, I probably spread the field with 4 or 5 WR's and then let Cam QB draw if the front was right or roll out.  I also think a naked bootleg would have worked as well.  Overall it was an obvious play call based on what NE has done through two games and Seattle was ready for it. 
I understand Cam has scored a couple of TDs with this play.  But Seattle was clearly ready for it.  I would just want to have multiple options from a full 2 yards out....Cam keep it himself, Cam hands to RB, or pass.

If it were from the 1 or inside the 1, yeah to have to run this play and if Seattle stops it, good for them.

Cam wasn't asking for a contract extension. He said he would play out the last year of his contract, and he would prove himself. He wanted to stay in Charlotte. I don't know if it was Rhule or Tepper (I don't think it was Hurney) that in the end didn't want to keep Cam. I didn't like how Tepper fired Rivera before the season ended, and I didn't like how Cam was sent packing either. Olsen too.  I don't like the Patriots, but I like Cam, so I'm rooting for him to do well. I'm rooting for Rivera as well.

Always liked Cam.....and yeah he looked washed up and was not having fun. 

He was hurt. We all knew something was not right last season. It is good to see him healthy and playing well. I have always liked him. I hate the Patriots......but I can still root for the guy....he is a beast when he is right.

Users who are viewing this thread