What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buster Skrine (1 Viewer)

Daniel Shirley

Footballguy
Is Buster Skrine still in the starting lineup? 2TT last game, but vs the Chiefs (WRs need to catch the ball to be tackled I suppose).

Is Buster Skrine still in the starting lineup? 2TT last game, but vs the Chiefs (WRs need to catch the ball to be tackled I suppose).
No, he's not.CB Joe Haden and CB Sheldon Brown are the starters. Skrine is the third corner.He got a start against Dallas when Haden was OUT and he was starting when Haden was out suspended and then CB Dimitri Patterson went down with an injury.D-Pat is coming back from his injury and both Haden and Sheldon Brown are back so the best Buster would see now is nickel or dime packages.The Browns may or may-not see RG III Sunday so the Skins could have a run heavy attack so Skrine possibly may not see the field much. Next week against the Broncos I'm sure we will see a lot of heavy DB packages but Buster isn't starting.

Added Skrine off the waivers. He's currently listed as the starter, even though he's still in a competition with Owens. Skrine put up top 15 numbers in our league last year playing mostly nickel. Been playing pretty well so far in camp and preseason.

Anyone else keeping him on their radar?

He was awful last year. If he plays like that in september someone else will be starting in October.

He was awful last year. If he plays like that in september someone else will be starting in October.
Not sure what you call awful. Looking at his stat line from last year it looks like he has the perfect balance for fantasy football CB. He had 72 tackles, which means he played the run well enough and wasn't a shut down corner that forced QB's to throw away from him. He didn't have any INT's but he had 11 pass break ups. If he has a 25% increase due to more playing time, he could be a top 10 corner.

A productive fantasy corner needs to suck a little in order to make tackles after the catch.

He sucked too much as an actual football player, any sort of repeat and the new guys are likely to replace him.

He sucked too much as an actual football player, any sort of repeat and the new guys are likely to replace him.
Could you be any more specific? I quoted his states playing in the Nickel most of the year. Are you saying his coverage sucked? Are you saying he sucks at tackling? If he had 72 tackles, did he miss another 72?

I agree if he plays poorly he won't play all year, but fantasy football is about points. As far as waiver wire CB's, he may put up points early.

He must be doing something right, he's in a battle for the starting CB spot.

Not sure what you call awful. Looking at his stat line from last year it looks like he has the perfect balance for fantasy football CB. He had 72 tackles, which means he played the run well enough and wasn't a shut down corner that forced QB's to throw away from him. He didn't have any INT's but he had 11 pass break ups. If he has a 25% increase due to more playing time, he could be a top 10 corner.

A productive fantasy corner needs to suck a little in order to make tackles after the catch.
Skrine really was awful.

He had one of the worst grades by PFF (Pro Football Focus) last year. The reason is he is one of the fastest CBs in the NFL and he doesn't trust his coverage ability but is over-confident of his speed and that causes trouble because he'd quickly synche-up the cushion only to over-run the play and he'd GRAB the wideout getting a PI (Pass Interference)

Add, he's not the biggest guy, slight frame, so big or strong/powerful receivers could easily push-off on him and not have to extend their hands so the refs rarely called offensive interference in his favor.

He has always looked good in camp where his confidence is high and he's not playing in front of crowds.

Reports from camp are positive but we know what we saw last year and these reports could be 'team-speak' type of confidence boosting reports.

He has also looked decent in preseason, he has always been suprisenly good coming up in run support but he was truly awful in coverage last year.

The fly in the oinment is free agent CB Chris Owens acquired from Atlanta. He's been dinged ALL preseason and camp but the team made a play for him to be the starter or create competition with 3rd round pick Leon McFadden who has also been dealing with injuries ALL camp and preseason.

Owens is close and reportedly is good-to-go for the preseason game this week.

This will be the first time we get to see him in action.

Should Skrine get the starting job he WILL get thrown at, A LOT considering CB Joe Haden is the other corner and how much he struggled last year so if he starts he'll post decent IDP numbers.

McFadden is out of the picture having lost soo much time in camp and preseason and he's a bit lost in picking up the scheme from reports so the competition is down to Skrine and Owens and right-now it does appear Skrine is the front runner to get the starting gig but he hasn't earned it so I wouldn't get overly excited about him.

If he had really stepped up the club would have named him a starter but they have held-off on that accouncement but they named the free safety starter the other day.

The last open spot on defense is the cornerback position that Skrine is competing for so that tells you he hasn't really stepped up to strongly take the job so Owens is still in the picture.

Could you be any more specific? I quoted his states playing in the Nickel most of the year. Are you saying his coverage sucked? Are you saying he sucks at tackling? If he had 72 tackles, did he miss another 72?

I agree if he plays poorly he won't play all year, but fantasy football is about points. As far as waiver wire CB's, he may put up points early.

He has the skills desired of a corner, but makes too many bad mistakes in games. It cost the Browns dearly in 2012, multiple times. Safe to assume this staff is aware of the issue, a couple of repeats in 2013 and the leash will be pulled. All the skills in the world don't matter if you can't do it on Sunday. Skrine makes enough plays to keep him around, but the only way he will stick is if he manages his bad plays significantly better.

He's battling for a starting CB position because no meaningful free agents would meet the Browns asking price. They inquired with most (all?) of them, but did not sign anyone meaningful. It's obvious they are looking to upgrade the position. They drafted McFadden day 2 and acquired Owens to compete with Skrine. Skrine's out in front by default because the other two aren't on the field. At this point, McFadden's 2013 is all but lost unless one of them gets hurt, or Skrine repeats 2012, because he's missed so much time. Owens is probably coming back too late to make a run at week 1, but any Skrine slip up's and I think we'll see Owens get an opportunity moving Skrine back to nickel and dime duties - only.

MAC_32 said:
KCitons said:
MAC_32 said:

He has the skills desired of a corner, but makes too many bad mistakes in games. It cost the Browns dearly in 2012, multiple times. Safe to assume this staff is aware of the issue, a couple of repeats in 2013 and the leash will be pulled. All the skills in the world don't matter if you can't do it on Sunday. Skrine makes enough plays to keep him around, but the only way he will stick is if he manages his bad plays significantly better.

He's battling for a starting CB position because no meaningful free agents would meet the Browns asking price. They inquired with most (all?) of them, but did not sign anyone meaningful. It's obvious they are looking to upgrade the position. They drafted McFadden day 2 and acquired Owens to compete with Skrine. Skrine's out in front by default because the other two aren't on the field. At this point, McFadden's 2013 is all but lost unless one of them gets hurt, or Skrine repeats 2012, because he's missed so much time. Owens is probably coming back too late to make a run at week 1, but any Skrine slip up's and I think we'll see Owens get an opportunity moving Skrine back to nickel and dime duties - only.
Which would put his floor back to last years numbers? Which was top ten in our league.

I get that you could lose the CB position. But the floor seems fairly high. Especially for waiver wire fodder at a position that is difficult to pin down from year to year.

MAC_32 said:
KCitons said:
MAC_32 said:

Which would put his floor back to last years numbers? Which was top ten in our league.

I get that you could lose the CB position. But the floor seems fairly high. Especially for waiver wire fodder at a position that is difficult to pin down from year to year.
No, his floor is being benched week 3, rendering him totally useless.

MAC_32 said:
KCitons said:
MAC_32 said:

No, his floor is being benched week 3, rendering him totally useless.
But why would he be benched? If he played poorly last year, yet they still used him as the nickel DB, who will take those snaps from him this year. I can agree if he sucks, he could lose his starting CB job to Owens.

New staff has no ties to him. They have ties to Owens and McFadden.
So then you're saying Owen takes his place at CB and McFadden takes his place in nickel? Time will tell, but I agree. Why would the current staff have him penciled in as the starter right now if he's not doing at least some things right.

Your also making the assumption that he can't improve his game from last year to this year. The guy is only in his third year.

Every young player can improve, expecting all of them to is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Skrine was awful last year. Improvement may not even make him an adequate starter.

Good luck.

Why is there an IDP thread devoted to Buster Skrine?
Because in the NFL crappy CBs get picked on and while they remain on the field that equals tackle opportunities.

So Skrine qualifies as a flyer with a short leash, to be dumped for WW flavor of the week when/if he gets planted on the pine

Assuming he beats out Owens initially

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe I'm giving yet another Buster Skrine update but saw this and it is worthy of passing along.

Tony Grossi rarely, if ever, has used the name Skrine and the word 'exciting' in the same sentence before so this tidbit from today is noteworthy on that account.

Grossi mentions that Skrine made a couple of PDs (Passes Defensed) that would have been flagged last year as PIs (Pass Interference penalties) so Buster 'could possibly' have made some legitimate strides from last year but it seems that Browns fans remain squarely skeptical till we see him in real games.

Here's the tidbit from Grossi's article from this morning.

Bottom line for IDP crowd, The starting CB spot opposite Joe Haden will be heavily targeted and Buster Skrine looks like he will be named as a starter. The lack of endorsement by Browns fans is skittishness from last year's performace. He'd have to post a few solid games in a row before Cleveland fans could embrace him and if happens it would likely be too late so I'm sharing this but not giving any endorsments.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=21431

. The secondary is still a concern, but Buster Skrine’s improvement is real and exciting. Skrine made two pass breakups on tight coverage on Reggie Wayne – plays on which he would have drawn flags last year. Now, Wayne did amass seven catches for 79 yards in the first half, but not all were on Skrine. In the regular season, Joe Haden will shadow every opponent’s top receiver. That didn’t happen in Indy, and Andrew Luck exploited some obvious communication problems among the secondary and linebackers, as a result. In my opinion, Skrine has earned a starting job over Chris Owens, who missed his second game. Skrine is a surer tackler and is finally trusting his speed and quickness in coverage. Owens will see a lot of time in nickel defenses. I will say this: if any of the Browns’ top three cornerbacks miss time with injuries, it will be a huge concern. Rookie Leon McFadden, who missed about 10 days and two games with a strained groin muscle, is not ready to be competitive.

Anyone watch the Browns/Dolpins game? Hearing that not much has changed from last year with Skrine. Still putting up points. But, for how long?

Anyone watch the Browns/Dolpins game? Hearing that not much has changed from last year with Skrine. Still putting up points. But, for how long?
He was ####### garbage.

Owens is going to force him inside soon enough and then once the season gets out of hand McFadden will get a look as the nickel back demoting Skrine to Dime only.

MAC_32 said:
KCitons said:
He was ####### garbage.

Owens is going to force him inside soon enough and then once the season gets out of hand McFadden will get a look as the nickel back demoting Skrine to Dime only.
Owens sucked warm dog feces thru a straw. He was the one getting singed by Jerry Rice -- err Brian Hartline.

Skrine had injured his shoulder and was listed as QUESTIONABLE two days prior to the game, he obviously was/still is dinged up.

Chris Owens lost his starting job in Atlanta, he was moved to the slot and he lost that job, he even lost his job on special teams. He's as Charles Barkley would say 'turrible'.

I'm not apologizing or defending Skrine but don't say that Chris Owens is a threat to replace him. If anything, IF Leon McFadden can get up to NFL speed he is the only legit hope to replace Skrine this year but he's nowhere near starter ready at this point in time.

FWIW even though Skrine was injured he still posted solid IDP numbers:

- 6 solos

- 1 assist

- 1 tackle for loss

- 1 pass defense

Owens sucked warm dog feces thru a straw. He was the one getting singed by Jerry Rice -- err Brian Hartline.
Skrine was "on" Hartline for most of his receptions.
I had heard somewhere that it was Owens who was responsible for 8 of Harline's catches but don't recall where I heard that so don't quote me on that number but that is what I recall hearing.

The assumption is/was that the majority of damage was on Skrine because Buster gave up the long TD but it was pointed out that Ryan Tannenhill had six seconds before he pulled the trigger on that throw.

The pass rush wore out due to the offensive failure to convert third downs (1-14). No pass rush late in the game left the DBs hanging and that is when Tannenhill had success.

Neither played well, but skrine gave up the big plays.he had the penalty leading to the clinching td too. Victim to a double move and critical penalty leading to tds. Vintage skrine.

don't blame the pass rush running out of gas either, the offense sucks.

His name makes me laugh every time I see it.

J.R. Sweezy and Buster Skrine. We're in a golden age of names.

Neither played well, but skrine gave up the big plays.he had the penalty leading to the clinching td too. Victim to a double move and critical penalty leading to tds. Vintage skrine.

don't blame the pass rush running out of gas either, the offense sucks.
According to PFF Chris Owens was targeted 10 times and gave up 9 receptions. A 90% catch rate.

I don't need your permission to point out things so I will mention that the pass rush wore down which obviously hurts the ability of DBs to cover. I pointed out my opinion that the reason the pass rush wore down is because the offense couldn't covert on third downs, 1 out of 14. Three of the sacks came in the first half and the other came in the first 10 seconds of the second half.

1st Quarter

- 3-6-CLE 23 (14:17) (Shotgun) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at CLE 31 for -8 yards (92-D.Bryant).

2nd Quarter

- 1-10-MIA 27 (11:18) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 23 for -4 yards (54-Q.Groves).

- 3-14-MIA 23 (9:52) (Shotgun) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 19 for -4 yards (92-D.Bryant).

3rd Quarter

- 2-10-MIA 17 (14:50) (Shotgun) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 16 for -1 yards (99-P.Kruger).

People can spin it any way they want but the pass rush wore down. Why? The atrocious 3rd down conversion rate for the offense kept the defense on the field too long thus the guys rushing the passer got gassed.

Skrine is he will remain the starter and be targeted and rack up IDP points because he's, sic, 'the best' option the team has right now. The only hope for direct improvement is if Leon McFadden can progress enough to start but the coaches were reluctant to put him in even with the tremendous struggles of both Skrine and Owens. Also it has to be pointed out that both were dinged up, Owens all preseason so he would naturally look rusty and Skrine was listed as questionable two days before the game.

============================

per other post on amusing NFL names.

Guy Whimper. :cool: Always makes me smile.

I don't need your permission to point out things so I will mention that the pass rush wore down which obviously hurts the ability of DBs to cover. I pointed out my opinion that the reason the pass rush wore down is because the offense couldn't covert on third downs, 1 out of 14. Three of the sacks came in the first half and the other came in the first 10 seconds of the second half.
1st Quarter

- 3-6-CLE 23 (14:17) (Shotgun) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at CLE 31 for -8 yards (92-D.Bryant).

2nd Quarter

- 1-10-MIA 27 (11:18) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 23 for -4 yards (54-Q.Groves).

- 3-14-MIA 23 (9:52) (Shotgun) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 19 for -4 yards (92-D.Bryant).

3rd Quarter

- 2-10-MIA 17 (14:50) (Shotgun) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 16 for -1 yards (99-P.Kruger).

People can spin it any way they want but the pass rush wore down. Why? The atrocious 3rd down conversion rate for the offense kept the defense on the field too long thus the guys rushing the passer got gassed.
Interesting read

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=681667

Why have we consistently been run over the last seevral years up the middle then? You could argue it was our DL for a while, but as that has beefed up it's becoming more and more apparent LB is the issue. You're using height, weight, and bench press to support your case. I'm using the product on the field. I think the field product is 10x more important than the underwear olympics. Stop someone in the 4th quarter and then I can believe we have the guys to man up vs. the run. We couldn't do it in a 4-3 which is friendlier for LB's, the 3-4 is more difficult, why should I believe we will improve in a more difficult (and new) scheme?
I don't have numbers in front of me but I would submit part of our problem on defense stemmed from the offense not staying on the field long enough to give our guys a blow coupled with the fact that teams were ahead and pounding the run. That takes its toll in the 4th quarter.
Well, our offensive personnel isn't much different than last year. A season wiser with a veteran wr to replace the veteran te but that's really it. Scheme can't be any worse but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be better either. Usually takes a year to adjust and by then we will probably have a different qb.
Well, our offensive personnel isn't much different than last year. A season wiser with a veteran wr to replace the veteran te but that's really it. Scheme can't be any worse but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be better either. Usually takes a year to adjust and by then we will probably have a different qb.
I won't completely hijack a thread that is supposed to take a closer look at Ray Horton's defense into a full fledged Browns personnel thread so I wil contribute directly to the topic after addressing the statement that the offensive perssonnel isn't much different from that of last year.

True on one account, the names are the same. False in assuming that if the personnell isn't much different that we should assume the same production. Plain and simple, we drafted RB Trent Richardson and assumed that rookie would start the season. We drafted QB Brandon Weeden and assumed that rookie would start the season. We drafted ORT Mitchell Schwartz and assumed that rookie would start the season. Never in the history of the NFL had a team ever started a rookie, QB with a rookie RB and a rookie ORT. Add in supplemental rookie WR Josh Gordon who started three weeks into the season due to injury, making FOUR ROOKIES starting on offense.

This year:

- QB Brandon Weeden isn't a rookie and early reports of OTAs are positive and the new scheme fits his talents

- RB Trent Richardson isn't a rookie and he's not facing surgery on his knee to keep him out of training camp/preseason or impared with busted ribs

- ORT Mitchell Schwartz isn't a rookie and is already being talked-up as one of the best right tackles in the league

- WR Josh Gordon isn't a rookie and he's had a full offseason and will go into camp as the #1 WR so he'll get first unit reps

Add in:

- OG Jason Pinkston has been cleared and was just talked about on last nights Audible, go to the podcast at the 58 minute mark where Waldman said Pinktson was thought of as one of the best up-and-coming guards in the NFL before he went down with blood clots and he asked Doctor Jene about whether or not he felt Pinkston would be ok and Jene summed up his take by saying that since the team took soo much time and care and caution and proceeded with caution and they cleared him to pratice that he felt he'd be back. Waldman thinks the Browns offensive line is one of the best in the league with Pinktson and I agree, huge addition to have a healthy Jason Pinkston since Shaun Lavaua was the weak link IMHO and now he'll be the backup and Grecko and Pinkston will start.

- WR Greg Little came on strong down the stretch last season. He's not the same guy.

Same personnell on paper but additions can come from individual personnell making logically anticipated progress so our offense is the same in one reguard but it is not the same expereience-wise so we should logically anticipate improvements from six players on offense.

Back on topic:

Taken right from the horses mouth. Go read what Ray has to say about his defense. Just came out a few hours ago.

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1910058184/Fiery-Horton-stoked-about-Browns-defense

Fiery Horton stoked about Browns defense
Horton's scheme is less effective when the opposing offense knows they probably only need 20 points to win, if that. I wouldn't put a ton of stock into those numbers in Arizona. If the Browns continue to suck on offense it absolutely will effect the defensive performance though.
Its a situational defense, third downs, red zone, fourth quarter. The scheme is built to attack and is focused on those key situations in games.

Last year Horton only had one linebacker who got after the QB, Daryl Washington, and he had a part-time backup in Quentin Groves who did ok but other than that not much. On his D-Line he only had Calias Cambell, that was it.

Now he's got, Sheard, Kruger, Mingo,and he's also go Groves. On the D-Line he's got, Desmond Bryant, Ahtyba Rubin, and Phil Taylor. Not as good as Calias Cambell but they all can push back the pocket and make traps.

Horton has the coaching chops and now he's got the personnel.

We are stacked to win those key situations in games.

I'm confident the offense can muster one TD and one FG per half and that is all I think we need to win games.

Won't be easy and the schemes will take time to set in place but we can win this year with these coaches and the current roster even if a long-term answer at QB is a year or two from being added to the team but we could have that guy right now if we give him a chance and it seems Norv is going to provide him a leigt shot.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=18091

Are you guys complaining as Browns fans? or as fantasy football owners?

'cause, I'm perfectly fine with the play of Skrine as my fantasy corner.

Hey KC,

You're fine with Skrine.

Leon McFadden has the talent but he was injured in camp and fell behind, missing critical installs. He doesn't know the scheme and has looked lost in the little bit I've seen of him. The Browns are already starting a free agent at free safety and can't afford to put a rookie corner out there in a Ray Horton scheme where he'll be asked to play lots of zero cover considering how often Horton bltizes. Lost of communication going on and last minute change ups and the corner opposite of Joe Haden is going to see more action than any DB for the Browns.

Obviously Skrine has struggled and the team has to put in their nickle DB, Owens, and he's struggled even more than Skrine due to lack of, well he's just no good. Too small, can't high point, doesn't come up in run support, doesn't play the ball-plays the man after the catch, no hops, weak, just really-really bad. He isn't a threat to take over Skrine's job but considering so many pick and rub crossing plays when teams run bunched sets they are often in the same area.

McFadden won't see reps in practice and won't in games unless their is an injury.

I think he will eventually prove to be better than Skrine and that is what Mac is hinting at but he's not there yet and he didn't see much, if any, PT yesterday. I don't recall seeing him and the Ravens were doing a good job of rubbing out Joe Haden and passing Torey Smith off two the gruesome twosome at the other corner and nickel slot, Skine/Owens.

But you should be fine if you keep plugging in Skrine. He won't be replaced anytime soon and he is actually good coming up in run support. He made two good stops yesterday in that department and he also did make two nice PDs when he wasn't struggling in coverage.

Bracie Smathers said:
KCitons said:

Hey KC,

You're fine with Skrine.

Leon McFadden has the talent but he was injured in camp and fell behind, missing critical installs. He doesn't know the scheme and has looked lost in the little bit I've seen of him. The Browns are already starting a free agent at free safety and can't afford to put a rookie corner out there in a Ray Horton scheme where he'll be asked to play lots of zero cover considering how often Horton bltizes. Lost of communication going on and last minute change ups and the corner opposite of Joe Haden is going to see more action than any DB for the Browns.

Obviously Skrine has struggled and the team has to put in their nickle DB, Owens, and he's struggled even more than Skrine due to lack of, well he's just no good. Too small, can't high point, doesn't come up in run support, doesn't play the ball-plays the man after the catch, no hops, weak, just really-really bad. He isn't a threat to take over Skrine's job but considering so many pick and rub crossing plays when teams run bunched sets they are often in the same area.

McFadden won't see reps in practice and won't in games unless their is an injury.

I think he will eventually prove to be better than Skrine and that is what Mac is hinting at but he's not there yet and he didn't see much, if any, PT yesterday. I don't recall seeing him and the Ravens were doing a good job of rubbing out Joe Haden and passing Torey Smith off two the gruesome twosome at the other corner and nickel slot, Skine/Owens.

But you should be fine if you keep plugging in Skrine. He won't be replaced anytime soon and he is actually good coming up in run support. He made two good stops yesterday in that department and he also did make two nice PDs when he wasn't struggling in coverage.
I think we're going to be out of it midseason and they will want to see what they have in the rookie before the offseason. I'd target the bye week, and we're a late bye this year. So, Skrine may be a good start for the regular season, but keep this in mind as the playoffs near.

Bracie Smathers said:
KCitons said:

Hey KC,

You're fine with Skrine.

I think we're going to be out of it midseason and they will want to see what they have in the rookie before the offseason. I'd target the bye week, and we're a late bye this year. So, Skrine may be a good start for the regular season, but keep this in mind as the playoffs near.
Thanks for both of the inputs. I know I have trouble differentiating between my Bears as an NFL team and Bears players on my fantasy team. So, I just wanted to be clear.

Skrine was on my team last year, but was only on a one year contract. He helped out greatly when I had injuries and byes. I traded away R Sherman this off season and was looking for help. (easier to find CB2 points than RB2 pts on waivers)

Picked up Skrine, DJ Hayden and M Claiborne in the weeks leading up to the season. All are on 1 year contracts (w/chance of tagging longer term) I will keep an eye on McFadden as the year progresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game four.

Buster came up bigtime.

Targeted 7 times.

Only gave up 1 catch for 6 yards.

Had an interception.

He even was matched up on AJ Green and AJ had zero receptions on Buster.

He played EVERY SINGLE SNAP on defense.

Gotta give him credit. That's two consecutive games where he's looked good.

Add, you can see his confidence growing and his teammates are making a point of seeking him out after he makes a big play.

Its obvious he's making progress and people were talking him up in preseason, Hanford Dixon, Joe Haden, and even Tony Grossi.

An NFL cornerback with his speed, who has a few decent games under his belt and his confidence growing.

We could see a guy coming into his own right before our eyes.

I was still skeptical after week 3, still saw some things I didn't like and thought he got aided by some poor throws by Ponder. This week though...that was legit. INT was flukey, but you need to be aware of what's going on around you to make those plays and a lot of DB's are not.

Now, do it again, in primetime.

He did it again.

In prime time.

Huge props to Browns CB Buster Skrine.

He came into the season dinged up and wasn't healthy the first two games, listed QUESTIONABLE two days prior to the first two games. Got torched, fans ripped him, but he came back strong.

Coming up making big run stops and breaking up passes in the endzone and on deep balls and he's been matched up against opponents #1 WR more than a few times.

If he hadn't been ripped by the fans the turnaround would not have been so dramatic but this is a dramatic turnaround by a defensive player.

The coaching of former DB and current Browns DC Ray Horton has obviously helped but Skrine has big-time speed and he is extremely underrated as a run stopper on the edge where he's made highlight reel stops to prevent first downs and/or long runs as the last line of defense.

The lone caveat is that the QBs that the Browns defense has squared off against hasn't been a murder's row, Tannenhill (I'm not sold on him), Flacco (best of the bunch but his receivers are limited to Torey Smith), Ponder (not good), Dalton (not great and has clunker games and he laid ann egg against the Browns), EJ then Tuel (rookie and an unprepaired bad looking back-up) .

Next game, against Detroit, is going to be a big test but right now Buster Skrine is looking very-VERY good and deserves credit for what he's done lately which is the cold hard way the NFL rolls.

Agreed. He's becoming huge IDP value. What I noticed was three things:

1) Exceptional closing quickness. Especially on that "sack" of Manuel, as well as on the PD's.

2) Willingness to stick his head into almost every play that remotely comes his way.

3) Not so great in coverage, but benefits tremendously from having Haden on the other side which seems to funnel a lot of balls Skrine's way after the QB's first look is taken away.

Users who are viewing this thread