What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pacific Rim (1 Viewer)

Looks friggin' awesome. Big-budget modern tokusatsu flick with one of my favorite directors when it comes to monster visuals. I'm all over it.

'SmoovySmoov said:
'jdoggydogg said:
'SmoovySmoov said:
I think I saw it the first time it came out when it was called Cloverfield.
Did you watch the trailer?
Meh. I like del Toro, but as the poster above mentioned, this looks like a Michael Bay film to me.
Right. Except that Del Toro is awesome and Bay is a ####.
I concur with that, but it still looks like a pass, for me.
I'm probably more stoked to see this because I have a 9 year old son.

'jdoggydogg said:
'SmoovySmoov said:
Meh. I like del Toro, but as the poster above mentioned, this looks like a Michael Bay film to me.
Did I miss something? What has Del Toro directed that is awesome?
Pan's Labyrinth

'jdoggydogg said:
'SmoovySmoov said:
Pan's Labyrinth
I'm being serious here.

'jdoggydogg said:
'SmoovySmoov said:
Pan's Labyrinth
I'm being serious here.
So am I.

Pan's Labyrinth
I'm being serious here.
So am I.
Oh. Well I now under stand why you think this Pacific Rim thing looks good.

Pan's Labyrinth
I'm being serious here.
So am I.
I don't usually resort to the group think mentality, but Pan's Labyrinth was universally lauded by critics. Just sayin'.

Pan's Labyrinth
I'm being serious here.
So am I.
I don't usually resort to the group think mentality, but Pan's Labyrinth was universally lauded by critics. Just sayin'.
Even though I agree that this movie doesn't look very good, I have to side with jdog here. Pan's Labyrinth is a very good movie. Also, his taste in movies is generally pretty respected around here. The only knowledge I have of you is that you like Mad Men (which is boring), and that you took over the Name 3 Movies You Love That No One Else Has Seen thread needlessly and annoyingly.It's like the staff meeting I was in the other day, where a very annoying male coworker was going on and on about how disappointing The Hobbit was. I pointed out "Yeah, but you like Twilight, so there's that." I would rather listen to jdog on movies. Just my two cents.Having said that, still don't want to see this.

Even though I agree that this movie doesn't look very good, I have to side with jdog here. Pan's Labyrinth is a very good movie. Also, his taste in movies is generally pretty respected around here. The only knowledge I have of you is that you like Mad Men (which is boring), and that you took over the Name 3 Movies You Love That No One Else Has Seen thread needlessly and annoyingly.It's like the staff meeting I was in the other day, where a very annoying male coworker was going on and on about how disappointing The Hobbit was. I pointed out "Yeah, but you like Twilight, so there's that." I would rather listen to jdog on movies. Just my two cents.Having said that, still don't want to see this.
I should re-state that my enthusiasm for Pacific Rim is partially colored by having a 9 year old son in the house.I don't think Pacific Rim is going to be the next Citizen Kane. I think it's going to be fun to watch with my boy.

:lmao: 1. Mad Men is only boring if you've got the attention span of a 12 year old boy.2. Pan's Labyrinth was overhyped and overrated. 3. I "took over" the Name 3 movies" thread because not one person followed the rules. They either listed movies that other people have seen or didn't list 3 exactly. Not my fault if people are stupid.4. There isn't much difference between "The Hobbit" and "Twilight" except for the intended audience.

:lmao: 1. Mad Men is only boring if you've got the attention span of a 12 year old boy.2. Pan's Labyrinth was overhyped and overrated. 3. I "took over" the Name 3 movies" thread because not one person followed the rules. They either listed movies that other people have seen or didn't list 3 exactly. Not my fault if people are stupid.4. There isn't much difference between "The Hobbit" and "Twilight" except for the intended audience.
1. I love Mad Men. 2. Everything good is overhyped and overrated - and that includes Mad Men.

So let me get this straight:1. Mad Men is awesome, and there's no debating that. If you don't like it, you obviously have the attention span of a 12 year old boy. 2. Pan's Labryinth, which is lauded pretty much across the board, not so much.3. In a thread where it's blatantly obvious that, while impossible to list movies that you are 100% positive that no one else has ever seen, that most of these are movies that may have flown under the radar (which would have been a better thread title)............you thought you would comment on each and every one of the movies that you had seen, because you thought other people actually cared which of those movies you have seen.4. The Hobbit, which is a classic of the literature world, that is taught in high schools around the nation, and widely loved by generations of readers, is basically the same as a story about teenage angst with vampires that shimmer in the sunlight.Got it.

So let me get this straight:1. Mad Men is awesome, and there's no debating that. If you don't like it, you obviously have the attention span of a 12 year old boy. 2. Pan's Labryinth, which is lauded pretty much across the board, not so much.3. In a thread where it's blatantly obvious that, while impossible to list movies that you are 100% positive that no one else has ever seen, that most of these are movies that may have flown under the radar (which would have been a better thread title)............you thought you would comment on each and every one of the movies that you had seen, because you thought other people actually cared which of those movies you have seen.4. The Hobbit, which is a classic of the literature world, that is taught in high schools around the nation, and widely loved by generations of readers, is basically the same as a story about teenage angst with vampires that shimmer in the sunlight.Got it.
1. Yes2. Yes3. Yes4. Yes

1. Yes2. Yes3. Yes4. Yes
Edited to add - Notebook updated. :ph34r: Now this conversation makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has different tastes, I think Pacific Rim will either be a huge success or huge flop depending on how many people A: expect it to be transformers and are glad/disappointed it isn't or B: expect it to be a Kaiju/Mecha movie and are ####### ecstatic that Michael Bay has nothing to do with ruining anymore genres that he has no business being a part of.

4. There isn't much difference between "The Hobbit" and "Twilight" except for the intended audience.
GUYS! Stop arguing with this guy!How can you not tell he's using some awful bait and you're all biting? I know crazy girl twihards who watched that crap opening night 5 times who would NEVER claim that there is no difference between Hobbit and Twilight.

4. There isn't much difference between "The Hobbit" and "Twilight" except for the intended audience.
GUYS! Stop arguing with this guy!How can you not tell he's using some awful bait and you're all biting? I know crazy girl twihards who watched that crap opening night 5 times who would NEVER claim that there is no difference between Hobbit and Twilight.
Says the dragon guy.

1. Yes2. Yes3. Yes4. Yes
FFA NOTEBOOKEntry #32Officer Pete Malloy: Excellent taste in movies and television.

Says the dragon guy.
If you read the thread, I was relaying other people's information and staying out of stating whether it was right or wrong.But, hey! I'd rather believe in dragons than think that shiny vampires are the same as The Hobbit. :thumbup:

1. Yes2. Yes3. Yes4. Yes
FFA NOTEBOOKEntry #32Officer Pete Malloy: Excellent taste in movies and television.
:lmao:

Says the dragon guy.
If you read the thread, I was relaying other people's information and staying out of stating whether it was right or wrong.But, hey! I'd rather believe in dragons than think that shiny vampires are the same as The Hobbit. :thumbup:
Vampires and werewolves vs midgets that live to be 150, wizards, elves, dragons etcOh, yeah...HUGE difference.

Says the dragon guy.
Vampires and werewolves vs midgets that live to be 150, wizards, elves, dragons etcOh, yeah...HUGE difference.
:lmao: have you read the books?Do you understand the themes and purpose behind writing the books?Are you aware of how ridiculous the existence of something like the idea of "Middle Earth" is that it exists at all? How much work and effort was put into it? What Tolkien actually did?I'm sorry all you see is vampires and werewolves vs. hobbits, wizards, elfs, dwarves, and dragons... But you couldn't be missing it any more than you are.

Says the dragon guy.
I love this. I've been called a film snob on this board for years, and now I get to champion the people's movies for once.I'm not a fan of the Lord of the RIngs trilogy. But for you to equate The Hobbit with the Twilight series is just ridiculous. Totally different universes.

Says the dragon guy.
:lmao: have you read the books?

Do you understand the themes and purpose behind writing the books?

Are you aware of how ridiculous the existence of something like the idea of "Middle Earth" is that it exists at all? How much work and effort was put into it? What Tolkien actually did?

I'm sorry all you see is vampires and werewolves vs. hobbits, wizards, elfs, dwarves, and dragons... But you couldn't be missing it any more than you are.
I read The Hobbit back probably before you were born. No idea what the bolded means.

Doesn't matter how much effort was put in to it. Somewhere there is probably someone that has been working on a novel for 20 years. That doesn't mean it's a great novel.

At best The Hobbit is a pretty decent juvenile lit book. At best.

GUYS! Stop arguing with this guy!How can you not tell he's using some awful bait and you're all biting?

I know crazy girl twihards who watched that crap opening night 5 times who would NEVER claim that there is no difference between Hobbit and Twilight.
Says the dragon guy.
:lmao: have you read the books?

Do you understand the themes and purpose behind writing the books?

Are you aware of how ridiculous the existence of something like the idea of "Middle Earth" is that it exists at all? How much work and effort was put into it? What Tolkien actually did?

I'm sorry all you see is vampires and werewolves vs. hobbits, wizards, elfs, dwarves, and dragons... But you couldn't be missing it any more than you are.
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread