What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does your league award a bye week to 1st place? (1 Viewer)

Does your league award a bye week to 1st place?

• Total voters

fiddystorms

Footballguy
Trying to convince my league that its the right thing to do to give the 1st place team a bye week in the 1st week of the playoffs. Please answer the poll question. if you want to then elaborate, thats cool, I just want to have a screen snapshot of the poll.

12 teams, no divisions. 8 make the playoffs currently.

looking to cut it to 7 teams...

PROPOSING that the #1 gets the bye... 2 plays 7... 3 plays 6... 4 plays 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to convince my league that its the right thing to do to give the 1st place team a bye week in the 1st week of the playoffs. Please answer the poll question. if you want to then elaborate, thats cool, I just want to have a screen snapshot of the poll.
How many teams and how many make the playoffs? We are 14/6 with top 2 getting the bye weeks.

'lod01 said:
'fiddystorms said:
How many teams and how many make the playoffs? We are 14/6 with top 2 getting the bye weeks.
12 teams, no divisions. 8 make the playoffs currently. looking to cut it to 7 teams... the #1 gets the bye... 2 plays 7... 3 plays 6... 4 plays 5.

8 of 12 teams making the playoffs is way too much.

In 12 team leagues, logically only 6 should make it with the top 2 getting bye weeks.

8 of 12 teams making the playoffs is way too much. In 12 team leagues, logically only 6 should make it with the top 2 getting bye weeks.
That's what I would say too.
I agree, but you wouldn't believe the tenacity being displayed to hold onto that 8th place spot. One guy said: "Tommy, Brian, Nate, Ryan and I were all competing for that final spot up till the end. I know that it made it fun for us and allowed us to participate for the entire regular season. I think that is worth more to this league than allowing the top team a bye week."As if the same competition wouldn't occur if they were all fighting for the 7th spot.

My leagues have only 4 teams making the playoffs. The 1st place team has always at least clinched a playoff spot, so it's pretty much like having a week 14 bye in a larger playoff.

The only leagues I've ever played in that didn't award byes were all 8-teamers (4-team playoffs). And even one of those 8-teamers had a bye (3 team playoff, #1 seed automatically made the championship game).

Aside from SSOG's 8 team league, Does anyone give a bye week to only the 1st place team? Seems all leagues give it to two teams.

In our 20 team league, the four division winners get a bye. If my league had a single division, I would say no byes.

All 6 of my leagues do. 12 and 14 teams

Top 2 week 14 round 1 byes

Top seed faces the lowest seed left in week 15 round 2

In our 20 team league, the four division winners get a bye. If my league had a single division, I would say no byes.
I could see where someone would think that you couldn't do a bye in a league where there are no divisions... but the 7 team system is specifically meant for leagues with no division.

16 year redraft, same as day 1. Four go to the Playoffs and no byes.

Toilet bowl plays for 1-4 picks, and Consolation Bracket plays for 5-8 draft slots.

It sucks for anybody who doesn't make the show. Would like to change it to 6 and 6.

12 teams, 6 make the playoffs, so we give away 2 byes (5th & 6th seeds)
I'm not sure if I'm reading that corrctly.My only league is also 12 teams, 6 make the playoffs. The Top 2 seeds get byes.

Playoff Week 1: Seed 3 plays Seed 6. Seed 4 plays Seed 5.

Playoff Week 2: Seed 1 plays lowest seed remaining. Seed 2 plays the other winner of Week 1.

Playoff Week 3 (Final): Two teams remaining.

Both 12 teamers(6 teams in the playoffs) reward top 2 seeds with byes, 16 teamer(8 playoff teams) does not and 14 teamer(7 playoff teams) rewards top seed with bye

It seems like an overwhelming response supporting the bye week. You wouldn't believe that if you saw my league forum, i thought I was nuts! please, carry on with more examples...

8 teams make the playoffs and no bye weeks? What's the point in even having a regular season at that stage?

6 teams with #1 and #2 having a bye is the sweet spot for 12 teamers.

8 of 12 teams making the playoffs is way too much. In 12 team leagues, logically only 6 should make it with the top 2 getting bye weeks.
That's what I would say too.
I agree, but you wouldn't believe the tenacity being displayed to hold onto that 8th place spot. One guy said: "Tommy, Brian, Nate, Ryan and I were all competing for that final spot up till the end. I know that it made it fun for us and allowed us to participate for the entire regular season. I think that is worth more to this league than allowing the top team a bye week."As if the same competition wouldn't occur if they were all fighting for the 7th spot.
Tell them you will give a participation ribbon to the 8th team in the league and keep the playoffs to at least average teams.Why not ask them if you should expand it to 11 teams? I mean then 11/12 can fight it over that last spot, lol.

'fiddystorms said:
Trying to convince my league that its the right thing to do to give the 1st place team a bye week in the 1st week of the playoffs. Please answer the poll question. if you want to then elaborate, thats cool, I just want to have a screen snapshot of the poll.12 teams, no divisions. 8 make the playoffs currently. looking to cut it to 7 teams... PROPOSING that the #1 gets the bye... 2 plays 7... 3 plays 6... 4 plays 5.
In a 12 team league only 6 should make the playoffs. It is not the NBA.

12 team league 5 teams make playoffs – 3 division winners 2 wildcards Championship is week 17

Week 15 - wildcard1 vs. wildcard2

Week 16 – Semi finals 3 division winners and wildcard winner

Week 17- championship

'FreeBaGeL said:
8 teams make the playoffs and no bye weeks? What's the point in even having a regular season at that stage?6 teams with #1 and #2 having a bye is the sweet spot for 12 teamers.
Just start the league in week14 if 8 teams make it.

12 teams, 2 divisions - each division winner gets a bye in week 14.

6 total teams in playoffs, 3 from each division.

All others go to Losers brackets - one winner there.

This is all great stuff. I'm sharing all of these different playoff schemes with the league and it is sparking some ideas & conversation. I have a lot of convincing to do though, I have a couple older guys in the league who veto any change at all because they do not like putting thought into this stuff. Status quo is what they know.

Others feel that they historically have bad drafts and feel this penalizes a bad draft and doesn't give teams enough time to make up for it through our FAAB system (which is one thing we do right)

'fiddystorms said:
This is all great stuff. I'm sharing all of these different playoff schemes with the league and it is sparking some ideas & conversation. I have a lot of convincing to do though, I have a couple older guys in the league who veto any change at all because they do not like putting thought into this stuff. Status quo is what they know. Others feel that they historically have bad drafts and feel this penalizes a bad draft and doesn't give teams enough time to make up for it through our FAAB system (which is one thing we do right)
So I would say why not start your team with no players if they are worried about a bad draft "penalizing" them... That has to be the worst excuse, the whole purpose of FF Re-draft is your drafting skill. Sure Waivers can dig your team out of a hole but waivers should not be used to build your team.

16 teams, 4 divisions.

Division winners make the playoffs (based on record/points/head-to head).

Top 2 get a bye week 14.

2 wild cards play division winners #3 and #4 week 14.

Then you have 4 for the semifinals week 15...

Yes, first and second place in the first round of playoffs. With more playoff spots open we found out that it keeps owners "in it" up until the last week regular season match-ups, and it doesn't create a lame duck team (which I would imagine everybody here had to deal with at some point).

12 Team League

2 Divisions

6 Team Playoff

6 Team Toilet Bowl for the #1 Draft pick

Serpentine Draft Keeper League

Championship

Division Winners get Bye

Remaining #3 v #6 and #4 v #5

#1 plays lowest remaining seed team

Championship Week 16

Champion gets pick #12 (and the $$ payout)

Consolation Bowl Winner gets pick #9

Consolation Bowl loser gets pick #10

Toilet Bowl

6 Teams remaining not in Championship

#7 v #12

#8 v #11

#9 v #10

3 remaining Winners advance to Week 15 battles

Highest Score in Week 15 gets #1 Draft slot

Remaining Draft slots from Toilet Bowl are based on scores (higher gets better 1st round pick)

works for us..... 8 years now

12 team league, 3 divisions. 1 keeper, serpentine draft. 3 division winners and 3 wild card teams qualify. Playoffs are Weeks 15-17.

Top 2 seeds get a bye Week 15. #3 vs. #6, #4 vs. #5

Week 16 - #1 seed gets to pick the opponent from the Week 15 winners.

Week 17 - Super Bowl and 3rd place game

Super Bowl champ has 12th choice of draft position.

Toilet Bowl playoffs mirror the championship playoffs. Winner of TB playoffs receives first choice of draft position. Other draft positions are determined by playoff performance as well.

12 team league, 6 get in top 2 get byes - not sure i agree with it as this year we had a fluke team with the lowest point total in the league get a bye.

16-team league, 8 get in, no byes

10-team league 4 get in no byes

Trying to convince my league that its the right thing to do to give the 1st place team a bye week in the 1st week of the playoffs. Please answer the poll question. if you want to then elaborate, thats cool, I just want to have a screen snapshot of the poll.12 teams, no divisions. 8 make the playoffs currently. looking to cut it to 7 teams... PROPOSING that the #1 gets the bye... 2 plays 7... 3 plays 6... 4 plays 5.
so, you took 1st place and want to change the rules to get yourself a bye?

so, you took 1st place and want to change the rules to get yourself a bye?
No, not at all. Thats done & over with. I'm out, the 7th & 8th place teams are in the championship game.I've proposed this rule change for 3 years now, & I wasn't in 1st place when I started proposing it either.

8 teams make the playoffs? Why even have a season.
Because it's more fun than having half the league quit around Week 9.
Keep telling yourself that. Nobody who is even remotely serious would join a league like that.
Yeah, that's kinda the point. Like I said, we like having fun. Guys like you aren't allowed in our league.
My old league let lots of teams into the playoffs, way more than average. We consider the playoffs more a second season than anything else. And when you do that, the way you make the regular season mean something is by giving the winner of it a ####pile of prize money.

I play in three 12 team leagues. In 2 just 4 teams make the playoffs and that's actually what I like best as i don't like taking a week off and just like to reward the 4 best teams. In one of these all the teams play for minimal place money and if you finish last you get choice of what draft position you want, the champion gets the last choice etc. Last year the champion ended up with the first round pick this year as nobody wanted that pick.

Almost! my league voted it down 6-6! Getting closer to getting the 1st place team a bye & more importantly, eliminating that 8th spot. Progress is slow, but still progress. I think it failed overwhelmingly last time. I shared everyones comments and it swayed alot of people I believe... that and the poll totals.

Almost! my league voted it down 6-6! Getting closer to getting the 1st place team a bye & more importantly, eliminating that 8th spot. Progress is slow, but still progress. I think it failed overwhelmingly last time. I shared everyones comments and it swayed alot of people I believe... that and the poll totals.
Ahh that's too bad, at least it's getting closer :)

I view it as a tradeoff between keeping people engaged and increasing the odds of the best team winning. More teams means more people will be in it later, but you have a greater chance of a bad team getting hot at the right time and taking it down. Fewer teams means more people will be out earlier, but there's a better chance the top teams from the regular season will be in the championship. One tilts it slightly more towards luck, the other slightly more towards skill.

It's all what you guys would rather have the league be, but I usually like to keep the playoffs tighter - no more than 50% of the teams make it. If it's a more casual league though, I don't mind having more teams in the playoffs, it helps keep things interesting for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread